Options

The Pizza Thread

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,623
    I can eat a DiGiorno but my guilty pleasure (think I shared here before) with pizzas are the gross, cardboard, Ellios.

Drunk food if there ever was a drunk food.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    So what's the absolute worst pizza you've ever had?

I'll start.

Pie: Toss-up between Gumby's in Gainesville and Cappy's in Boston
    Slice: Little Steve's in Boston, IKEA
    Frozen: Whole Foods
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,537
    Ewwwwww. :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,881
    Easily the most disgusting pizza I have ever had was in Waterton, Canada:

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,623
    Worst?  Oh man, so many bad ones.

Worst pie:  The Funplex in MT Laurel, NJ  (or some such named place where they house all sorts of little kid birthday parties) -- Ugghh.  Every time we had to bring Alex there we would joke about having to watch people eat that shit.  The worst was when we hosted a few parties there -- the shit was so bad we would try to give away all of the leftovers.  (You buy 10 pizzas for the kids or whatever -- but even they can tell it sucks)  Was tough to do.  Hideous.

Slice:  Rest stop Sbarro.  I have had 'ok' Sbarro elsewhere but there are rest areas dotting the turnpike here in NJ and it seems half of them have a food center and a Sbarro.  I don't even know how you can mess up pizza this badly.

Frozen - oh good lord, the "healthy" shit my wife buys.  Amy's Organic or something?  She gets at Whole Foods I think.
    I would rather not eat.  Even hammered, this cannot pass.  It might be the worst rendition of pizza ever.
  • Options
    Lol, I actually listed Amy's as one of the better frozen brands you can buy, but it depends on which one you pick. I know some of them don't even have cheese on them, lol. Obviously I didn't mean those ones! Amy's has a really solid spinach one. I guess that's the only one I've tried actually.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Lol, I actually listed Amy's as one of the better frozen brands you can buy, but it depends on which one you pick. I know some of them don't even have cheese on them, lol. Obviously I didn't mean those ones! Amy's has a really solid spinach one. I guess that's the only one I've tried actually.
    I will look next time I grab something from the garage freezer.  I actually think it had some bullshit like kale or spinach on it the last time I dared.  (I actually like spinach a lot...and there are ways that kale can be palatable to me...but neither of those things belong near a pizza that I am going to enjoy.)
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Spinach on pizza? I don't want to live in this world anymore.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    I looooove spinach pizza. Spinach and provolone is one of my faves! Maybe a little red onion too... yum!
    Dr. Oetker also makes a good kale and bacon one. It's excellent.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    leave the spinach, take the provolone

• Options
    hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    DiGiornos WAS my "go to" for frozen pizza until I puked my guts out after chomping down after a big night out in the mid 2000's. To this day I still can't eat that one or Freschetta.. they both taste sickly sweet to me. Ewww with their rising crusts... Barf-A-Rama!!!

Red Baron has been my frozen pizza of choice for years. Every now and then when no one else in house wants pizza I bust out a 99 cent Totinos "party pizza". Damn!!! That thing brings me back to childhood. Great buttery flakey n crispy crust, zesty sauce, weird salty cheese n spicy tiny toppings. Total young child of the late 70's/early 80's addiction.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,463
    dankind said:

I'll start.

no such thing as bad pizza, altho that shit F’me posted doesn’t look so great.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    dankind said:

I'll start.

no such thing as bad pizza, altho that shit F’me posted doesn’t look so great.
    Ellio's?  :lol:  I love good pizza but there is also a spot for bad/freezer cardboard.  The shit in-between that tries to be what it is not?  Give me one or the other.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    PJ_Soul said:
    I looooove spinach pizza. Spinach and provolone is one of my faves! Maybe a little red onion too... yum!

A bunch of the Amy's are vegan; in fact, I thought they all were, so I've avoided them all. Maybe I was wrong about that.

I agree that the Dr. Oetker ones close to the top of the frozen pizza pile for me. Thin, crispy crust, not too topping heavy. I add spices, but then I do that to every pizza.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    C-  crust is good but the cheese is gross. My kids love it. 

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:

A bunch of the Amy's are vegan; in fact, I thought they all were, so I've avoided them all. Maybe I was wrong about that.

I agree that the Dr. Oetker ones close to the top of the frozen pizza pile for me. Thin, crispy crust, not too topping heavy. I add spices, but then I do that to every pizza.
    Yeah, Amy's also makes non-vegan but gluten free, and those are alright. 

I also add stuff to my frozen pizzas. Sometimes actual toppings, like maybe halved grape tomatoes or olives or jalepenos or something, but usually just a bit of dried basil and chili pepper, and maybe a dash of Parmesan when it's done.
  • Options
    hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    So all this talk about a Dr. Oetker/Virtuoso frozen pizza made me try one tonight :)

Crust was excellent. Toppings and flavor delicious. Big thumbs up for frozen pizza. These were all on a "close out" price, $3. Hopefully this doesn't mean they aren't going to carry the brand anymore... pretty sure that's what it means though.

• Options
    Some of the best pizza I've ate is made in our house. My wife makes it from scratch. Here's tonight's (chorizo):

"My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Some of the best pizza I've ate is made in our house. My wife makes it from scratch. Here's tonight's (chorizo):

NIce job Mrs. dirty!
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

NIce job Mrs. dirty!
    Cheers, Scruff! 

Had a nice ipa with it... and now some red wine. Life is good (it would be better if Gonzaga gets their shit together sooner than later).
  • Options
    So all this talk about a Dr. Oetker/Virtuoso frozen pizza made me try one tonight :)

Crust was excellent. Toppings and flavor delicious. Big thumbs up for frozen pizza. These were all on a "close out" price, $3. Hopefully this doesn't mean they aren't going to carry the brand anymore... pretty sure that's what it means though.

It looks a little scary close up.

I also like the peso pepperoni, though ours has different packaging. I assume it's the same pizza, though.
  • Options
    RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,206
    I don’t know Thirty, I’m sure that pizza is good if you say it is, but in my experience homemade pizza is the absolute bottom of the barrel, even when attempted by some of my favorite family cooks (including one full blooded Italian step-grandmother). 

I’ve probably tried 10-15 different homemade pizzas and I’d take any frozen pizza or chain over any one of them. Seems your wife has the magic touch though. Lucky you. 
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    HF, the piece of pepperoni at 6:30 looks like it has googly-eyes and a nip :lol:
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    HF, the piece of pepperoni at 6:30 looks like it has googly-eyes and a nip :lol:
    It so does! :lol:
  • Options
    RiotZact said:
    I don’t know Thirty, I’m sure that pizza is good if you say it is, but in my experience homemade pizza is the absolute bottom of the barrel, even when attempted by some of my favorite family cooks (including one full blooded Italian step-grandmother). 

I’ve probably tried 10-15 different homemade pizzas and I’d take any frozen pizza or chain over any one of them. Seems your wife has the magic touch though. Lucky you. 
    Her homemade crust rocks- chewy and delicious. Quality ingredients.

I wouldn't sell you garbage if it was garbage. I call a spade a spade.
  • Options
    RiotZact said:

Her homemade crust rocks- chewy and delicious. Quality ingredients.

I wouldn't sell you garbage if it was garbage. I call a spade a spade.
    You know what, of all the ones I’ve had I can’t say for sure that any of them were made with 100% homemade dough, and that’s almost always the grossest part. 
  • Options
    I make excellent pizza, totally from scratch. I scorn any who prefer frozen or chain pizza. 
  • Options
    I make excellent pizza, totally from scratch. I scorn any who prefer frozen or chain pizza. 
    I’m just going off of my own experiences. If I tried yours maybe I would think differently. In my experience it goes like this:

Local/family owned shops
    Regional chains (these are a big wild card, some are awesome, some are horrible)
    big chains
    frozen
    fundraiser 
    homemade

burnt

• Options
    I love homemade but some are awful.  

Dirty....I love it.  Looks like a bit much on the cheese but that is really nitpicking.  Pizza looks great I hope you gave her a kiss and enjoyed it.
  • Options
    Sounds like I need to start working on my own pizza recipe.