Framing a poster?

mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,986
Not sure if this is an LD question or not.
Any suggestions on where to go? I don't want to spend $150 to frame a $40 poster. But I am wanting to hang a bunch up and want them framed first.
Have been able to use a Michael's coupon to get standard sized frames for cheap, but the odd sizes can get expensive.
I just received a custom frame I ordered online from ArtToFrames.com for the Vegas 2006 poster, was 13 3/4" x 26", and with shipping came to $38. It was about the quality I expected for the price. Not the cheapest quality (better than the low-end one's at Michael's that run about $15 with a coupon for a common size), but not that great either. Fits perfectly, would order again if no one has better suggestions, but thought I'd ask first.

Comments

• cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,634
    I have a guy at Hobby Lobby but hes the only guy i trust there.  And make sure you dont dry mount because store workers sometimes default to that.   :lol:
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,614
    my framer died.  need to find a new person that I like.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • hihobibohihobibo Tampa, FL Posts: 1,057
    Just buy the standard size frames from Michaels/Hobby Lobby, etc. and then have them cut you a custom mat (which will be around $20) to size it to the standard size frame. So in the end you might spend $50 per poster to frame it. 

• drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,375
    If you aren’t spending more than $400 on a frame job, you are doing it wrong. 

:wink:
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,735
    Hobby Lobby has very reasonable prices.  They always have good deals going on too...
  • willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298

Sad but true
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,986
    hihobibo said:
    Just buy the standard size frames from Michaels/Hobby Lobby, etc. and then have them cut you a custom mat (which will be around $20) to size it to the standard size frame. So in the end you might spend $50 per poster to frame it. 

I actually tried that. I didn't like it because it wasn't symmetrical. I had like 1/2" on each side, and like 2" on the top and bottom, it didn't look right. Like you said, all in all it was about $35-$40 and it looks terrible I thought. 
    Never looked into Hobby Lobby, will check their prices.
    My wife got my PJ20 poster framed for me, but pretty sure it was dry mounted. Plus side is I'll probably never take it out of the frame or try to sell it, so it doesn't really matter.
    Everything considered I'm happy with ArtToFrame so far, was about the same price. Just hoping there could be better.

Thanks for the input.
  • BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,338
    Mace1229
    Similar to you, I also can't justify spending hundreds of dollars to frame/display a $40 concert poster.  I've used frames similar to these ones I've linked below. At sale times they can be had for just less than $30 each.
    http://www.jerrysartarama.com/brands/ambiance-framing/ambiance-gallery-wood-frames
    scroll down to the 18x24 size.  I use a similar product from Deserres here in the Greater Toronto area - but can't seem to find them anymore up here. 
    Good luck in your search - hopefully, things work out in a way that you're pleased with.

• on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,417

Sad but true
    Gotta disagree.  You can frame a poster with acid free mats and UV glass for under $300 if it’s not a giant poster.  And you can do it for under $200 if you’re willing to do some work yourself.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,634
    ^^^^this

Id never pay over $200 for a frame job.  Its not the Mona Lisa. 
  • willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
    on2legs said:

Sad but true
    Gotta disagree.  You can frame a poster with acid free mats and UV glass for under $300 if it’s not a giant poster.  And you can do it for under $200 if you’re willing to do some work yourself.  

Im not willing to do any work myself.
  • JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,902
    Definitely go with Hobby Lobby.  I use them for all of my frame jobs.  They also always have a 40% off coupon on their website that you can use too. 
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • dancerdancer Posts: 1
    I feel your pain! I would love to be able to afford the best but here we sit. So as much as I cannot stand to say it! Hobby Lobby is your best bet. They will definitely beat Michaels or Joann’s and while I would love to support local business it would be great if they could do a “local price” for stuff like this (not that I don’t love my posters). So I bite the bullet and go to Hobby Lobby and sometimes they even let you use their 40% off coupon it just dependes on the store. Good luck I hope this helps!
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Only one of my framings has been over $150.  I have a local shop I go to - acid-free double matted, UV non-glare glass, and reproduction copies of the backs of the posters..
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,614
    Only one of my framings has been over $150.  I have a local shop I go to - acid-free double matted, UV non-glare glass, and reproduction copies of the backs of the posters..
    $150 +/- each when I would bring them in 4-5 at a time before my guy died.  Depended on how I wanted them done.
  • I think it all comes down to how long you think you're going to want that poster up on display and how much you look at it as art. I am old and plan on dragging all of my posters around with me, getting as many framed as possible along the way as I can, and make my kids deal with them when I die. And I want the posters to look as good when my kids are deciding what to keep, sell, etc. as they did the day I bought them. The only way to do that is to spend a bit of money to get a good matte & very good glass. I personally would not frame one of my cherished posters in a frame with plastic glass and no matte for anything. They are not just posters after all...but a sort of embodiment of an event.

just my .02 cents.
    Raleigh, NC., 8/31/98, Charlotte, NC., 8/4/00, Greensboro, NC., 8/6/00, Mountain View, CA., 10/31/00, Raleigh, NC., 4/15/03, Charlotte, NC., 4/16/03, Mountain View, CA., 10/25/03, Asheville, NC., 10/6/04, Philadelphia, PA., 10/3/05, Washington D.C, 5/30/06, Virginia Beach, VA., 6/17/07, Philadelphia, PA., 10/28/09, Charlottesville, VA., 10/29/13, Charlotte, NC., 10/30/13, Memphis, TN., 10/14/14, Greenville, SC., 4/16/16, Hampton, VA., 4/19/16, Raleigh, NC., 4/20/16, Columbia, SC., 4/21/16, Boston, MA., 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18 & 9/4/18., Nashville, TN., 4/2/20., Nashville, TN., 9/16/22.

EV Solo - Washington, D.C., 8/17/08, Atlanta, GA., 6/24/09, Orlando, FL., 11/27/12.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,986
    I think it all comes down to how long you think you're going to want that poster up on display and how much you look at it as art. I am old and plan on dragging all of my posters around with me, getting as many framed as possible along the way as I can, and make my kids deal with them when I die. And I want the posters to look as good when my kids are deciding what to keep, sell, etc. as they did the day I bought them. The only way to do that is to spend a bit of money to get a good matte & very good glass. I personally would not frame one of my cherished posters in a frame with plastic glass and no matte for anything. They are not just posters after all...but a sort of embodiment of an event.

just my .02 cents.
    There needs to be an obituary thread on this site, so us vultures can hunt for stuff when others die off. Would save your kids a lot of trouble!
  • matt viallmatt viall Posts: 242
    Art to frames dot com $60

Some posters are worth a lot of dough.  
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    mace1229 said:
    hihobibo said:
    I actually tried that. I didn't like it because it wasn't symmetrical. I had like 1/2" on each side, and like 2" on the top and bottom, it didn't look right. Like you said, all in all it was about $35-$40 and it looks terrible I thought. 
    Never looked into Hobby Lobby, will check their prices.
    My wife got my PJ20 poster framed for me, but pretty sure it was dry mounted. Plus side is I'll probably never take it out of the frame or try to sell it, so it doesn't really matter.
    Everything considered I'm happy with ArtToFrame so far, was about the same price. Just hoping there could be better.

Thanks for the input.
    Dry mounting does matter.  It is horrible for anything that you are hoping to keep.  It will eventually yellow and lift from the backing. Nothing you can do now if that is the case, but I would definitely never suggest it-- ever.  

ArtToFrames was the place that I was able to find a frame for our AIC gig poster.  Odd size.  Price was $28 or so.  I believe it included shipping.  
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Weezie7Weezie7 Twin Cities Posts: 14

I concur, just received a frame from ArtToFrames yesterday and worked out great.  Size is 13x30.  (I tapped it a bit on the left to even it out after the pic)

For the higher end posters that I will have forever, I use a local shop to dial in everything and it's usually $200-$300.