Options

Poachers kill one of last two white rhinos in Zambia

Comments

• Options
    jlew24asujlew24asu Posts: 10,118
    Alex_Coe wrote:
    Capital idea, Webster. I always wanted my own Triceratops.
    laffs :D
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    RIP the last male Northern White Rhino

had to be under 24/7 armed security because awful greedy humans cannot help themselves

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/20/africa/last-male-white-rhino-dies-intl/index.html

(CNN)The world's last male northern white rhino has died leaving only two females left to save the subspecies from extinction.

The 45-year-old rhino named Sudan had been in poor health in recent days and was being treated for age-related issues and multiple infections.
    A veterinary team made the decision to euthanize Sudan after his condition deteriorated significantly, the conservation group WildAid announced Tuesday.
    Sudan lived in the Ol Pejeta Conservancy in Kenya, surrounded by armed guards in the days leading up to his death to protect him from poachers.

"He was a gentle giant, his personality was just amazing and given his size, a lot of people were afraid of him. But there was nothing mean about him," said Elodie Sampere, a representative for Ol Pejeta.
      Researchers were able to save some of Sudan's genetic material in the hopes of successfully artificially inseminating one of the two females left, Sampere said.
      "We can only hope that the world learns from the sad loss of Sudan and takes every measure to end all trade in rhino horn. While prices of rhino horn are falling in China and Vietnam, poaching for horn still threatens all rhino species," said WildAid CEO Peter Knights.
      Rhinos are targeted by poachers, fueled by the belief in Asia that their horns cure various ailments. Experts say the rhino horn is becoming more lucrative than drugs.
      In addition to round-the-clock security, the Ol Pejeta Conservancy also put radio transmitters on the animals and dispatched incognito rangers into neighboring communities to gather intelligence on poaching.

Old and frail

At 45, Sudan was elderly in rhino years and suffered from problems associated with age.
      During his final years, he was not able to naturally mount a female and suffered from a low sperm count, which made his ability to procreate difficult.
      His daughter Najin, 28 and granddaughter, Fatu, considered young by comparison. Najin could conceive, but her hind legs are so weak she may be unable to support a mounted male.
      Sudan made headlines last year when the Tinder dating app named him the "most eligible bachelor in the world" in a campaign to raise funds to save the subspecies.
      The western black rhino was declared extinct seven years ago as a result of poaching. All five remaining rhino species worldwide are considered threatened, according to the conservation group Save the Rhino.
    • Options
      tbergstbergs Posts: 9,220
      Saw this article this morning as well. 
      It's a hopeless situation...
    • Options
      HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,816
      poachers are close to one of the lowest forms of humanity. 
      Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
      stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,358
      Sudan lived in the Ol Pejeta Conservancy in Kenya, surrounded by armed guards in the days leading up to his death to protect him from poachers.

Would a poacher seriously try to kill a sick/dying animal?
      HughFD, I agree with you.
    • Options

Would a poacher seriously try to kill a sick/dying animal?
      HughFD, I agree with you.
      the horns bring in lots of money for the fake medicine trade. 
      Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
      jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
      Agreed. And I find trophy hunters to be every bit as vile.

"I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    • Options
      jeffbr said:

to me they are the same. 
      Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
      jeffbr said:

This is disgusting. Is Donny Jr holding an elephants tail that he cut off?
    • Options
      jeffbr said:

F**king psychopaths. Each of those pictures is disgusting, but look at shithead with his big boy knife- he just cut a tail off with it. Nice job, tough guy. Now seriously... go jump off a bridge.

Just a notch above poachers are the Asians that think if they eat a tiger's penis they'll become a man (instead of the worm they are)... or seek rhinoceros horn or shark fins for 'medicinal value'.
      "My brain's a good brain!"
    • Options
      brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,683
      Poachers and big game hunters: the lowest of the low, the vilest of the vile. 
      “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
      Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
      lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,889
      Its a fuckin sad day for humanity a breed of animal should never become extinct in this day and age. No way. Us stupid human beings.
      brixton 93
      astoria 06
      albany 06
      hartford 06
      reading 06
      barcelona 06
      paris 06
      wembley 07
      dusseldorf 07
      nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    • Options
      Its a fuckin sad day for humanity a breed of animal should never become extinct in this day and age. No way. Us stupid human beings.
      well, they should. that's the natural order of things. but not by human hands, which I'm sure is what you mean. 
      Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
      Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
      What do you think of taxidermist?  They make trophy hunting possible in many ways...
      Give Peas A Chance…
    • Options
      What do you think of taxidermist?  They make trophy hunting possible in many ways...
      I'm not sure what this means. you are saying taxidermy encourages trophy hunting? First off, I find taxidermy fucking creepy as fuck. in the cottage we rented last summer, there was a stuffed moose head, a full stuffed beaver (beaver? why the fuck would you kill a beaver?), a prairie chicken, and I think a deer head. it was weird. 
      Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

Stuffed animals mounted on a wall creep me out. 
    • Options
      PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
      100% agree.
      With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    • Options
      I'm not sure what this means. you are saying taxidermy encourages trophy hunting? First off, I find taxidermy fucking creepy as fuck. in the cottage we rented last summer, there was a stuffed moose head, a full stuffed beaver (beaver? why the fuck would you kill a beaver?), a prairie chicken, and I think a deer head. it was weird. 
      Without taxidermist,  what would be the point of trophy hunting...a great taxidermist charges big bucks, and does not lack for work...
      Give Peas A Chance…
    • Options
      I happened to google "can you taxidermy people" the other day. No, I'm not fucking creepy, lol. It did it because of this documentary I was watching about a fucked up serial killer who was into that kind of shit. Turns out, no, it's not legal to taxidermy a person anywhere, even if the deceased person requests it themselves, as far as the experts asked knew .... You're think lawmakers would at least give ENDANGERED animals the same respect as people in this context.
      With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    • Options
      And taxidermy is an art, good ones have long delays in completing their work...
      Give Peas A Chance…
    • Options
      Without taxidermist,  what would be the point of trophy hunting...a great taxidermist charges big bucks, and does not lack for work...
      yeah, it's all the taxidermist's fault. ok. 

people would still do it and take pictures like the Trump assholes do whether they were able to keep the head or not. 
      Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
      He's got a point about taxidermy. I don't think he's saying taxidermists are the root of the problem as much as he's saying they enrich the trophy hunting experience.
      "My brain's a good brain!"
    • Options
      He's got a point about taxidermy. I don't think he's saying taxidermists are the root of the problem as much as he's saying they enrich the trophy hunting experience.
      I still think the assholes would do it regardless. there are several industries that profit off less-then-savoury hobbies. that point is nothing more than a deflection. 
      Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
      edited March 2018
      I still think the assholes would do it regardless. there are several industries that profit off less-then-savoury hobbies. that point is nothing more than a deflection. 
      Oh sure, I mean most rhinos and elephants that are poached are just left there to rot. They do it for the horns/tusks, maybe the rhino's gall bladder or whatever. Trophy hunters like the trophies, and they are vile excuses for human beings, but the real problem are the non-trophy hunter poachers.
      I do agree that taxidermists don't help the situation at all, but trophy hunters would still hunt without them. And they'd skin the animals, take their teeth, horns, hoofs, claws, whatever else they can think of to use as a trophy. And, of course, those fucking photos desecrating the dead animal's body that they love so much.
      Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    • Options
      brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,683
      There's a little town in the almost dead center of the state of Nevada called Austin, Nevada.  It's kind of a cool place in a way as far as geography goes and certainly for being one of the most remote to-hell-and-gone places I've ever been.  But the first time I passed through there I went into the general store and all around the upper portion of the store walls were it was literally covered in stuffed animal heads.  It was a massively disturbing sight for me.  I didn't stick around long.
      “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
      Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
      lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,889
      well, they should. that's the natural order of things. but not by human hands, which I'm sure is what you mean. 
      Yes that's what i mean
      brixton 93
      astoria 06
      albany 06
      hartford 06
      reading 06
      barcelona 06
      paris 06
      wembley 07
      dusseldorf 07
      nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    • Options

people would still do it and take pictures like the Trump assholes do whether they were able to keep the head or not. 
      I never said it was there fault...I am saying they are enablers who profit immensely off trophy hunting...you obviously have no idea how much money a great taxidermist make...I worked with hunters who use the service of a taxidermist, even average taxidermist can take a year to get your finished item...now great ones take way longer than that.  When hunters look at a beautiful (their words) dead animal all done up beautifully (their words), by the taxidermist...their eyes light up like a child on Christmas morning.  Now without taxidermist, trophy hunting would be next to impossible.  And it’s extremely expensive to use the service taxidermist.  

Give Peas A Chance…
    • Options

Taxidermist are enablers...without them there’d be no point in hunting.

this isn’t like you may see on tv, a head on a plaque over a fireplace, I’ve seen a lot of work done by a taxidermist...when they are done, the animal looks very much real...it’s not art to me, but to taxidermist, it’s art...

even thought i find find it morally wrong...I will not lie, their worl is something, not just the animal, but the entire display...
      Give Peas A Chance…
    • Options

I never said it was there fault...I am saying they are enablers who profit immensely off trophy hunting...you obviously have no idea how much money a great taxidermist make...I worked with hunters who use the service of a taxidermist, even average taxidermist can take a year to get your finished item...now great ones take way longer than that.  When hunters look at a beautiful (their words) dead animal all done up beautifully (their words), by the taxidermist...their eyes light up like a child on Christmas morning.  Now without taxidermist, trophy hunting would be next to impossible.  And it’s extremely expensive to use the service taxidermist.  

why would I know how much a taxidermist makes? I have never hunted. so I don't give a shit. 

and I still think those assholes would hunt for the thrill of killing the animal and getting a picture next to the carcass. 
      Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

Taxidermist are enablers...without them there’d be no point in hunting.

this isn’t like you may see on tv, a head on a plaque over a fireplace, I’ve seen a lot of work done by a taxidermist...when they are done, the animal looks very much real...it’s not art to me, but to taxidermist, it’s art...

even thought i find find it morally wrong...I will not lie, their worl is something, not just the animal, but the entire display...

Enablers!!!???? Right. I am not saying in any way that shooting big game is cool. But to say that a taxidermist is an enabler is like saying that embalmer enables death. Who wants to see a dead person in a coffin? Just saying. It is just as sick. May as well pin grandma on the wall for a while. Although I think it would be neat to have our dog or some of our big fish in our aquariums stuffed by a taxidermist. Does that make the taxidermist an enabler of my pets natural death? Enablers, you people are too much.

The poison from the poison stream caught up to you ELEVEN years ago and you floated out of here. Sept. 14, 08