Options

CAN'T DENY ME!!!

Comments

• Options
    THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,677
    brianlux said:
    It’s a protest song, not a camp fire sing along. It’s a delivery that expresses his frustration and anger with the racist biggot clown who stole and lied his way into the White House. It’s a great cadence for how pissed off we all are.
    I'm trying to picture what a Pearl Jam campfire sing along would sound like.  Or better yet, I'm trying not to picture that. :lol:
    Small town, Betterman, present tense etc. 
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    on2legs said:
    igotid88 said:
    So for fun yesterday I played the song a few times to our lunch crowd during mid day service to see what their reaction was. Most folks in town are mid 30’s in age so that’s the crowd. I played it three times in a row and then brought it up while I was walking the dining room. It was about 80% hated it and 20% thought it was ok.  The ones that liked it said it sounded “heavy” or “punk,” so they liked it. Most people said they thought the singer was trying way too hard, others said it was just awful. Keep in mind it’s friday of sxsw here in town so there’s a lot of music fans around, 
    would need to know what type of music most of them are into. If they only know Pearl Jam from Ten and expect that. New music sometimes takes radio overplaying it a thousand times for a new listener to like it. 
    True. South-by is everything though, and tastes in Austin are pretty all over the board.  Spoon is from here, so is doom side of the moon, srv, etc.  if you’ve never been here you wouldn’t know but music is appreciated for being music mostly, not for what type it is. There’s a decent punk and stoner metal following, but also Americana and folk and country and blues for sure.

with that said the folks who are out and about in town this week and having lunch in my place are all music lovers, that’s why they’re here for sxsw.  Sxsw is where jack White played on a curb, etc- not uncommon to see famous musicians just walking around.  I wasn’t surprised they were mostly down on it, the song is super weak.  I just wanted to hear what music fans thought of it. And no one was pissed I played it several times by the way, they dug the idea and actually asked me to pick more unknown songs to do it with after.
    If they are that big on music they would have heard it already :wink:
    They’re probably more into underground stuff.  I’d assume PJ is too main stream for most of them.
    Well... if they’re only into underground stuff that explains why they didn’t like it, right?
    I haven’t a clue why they didn’t like it.  You’d actually figure that an unpolished sound is more up their alley than an overproduced radio sound? it’s most likely because it simply isn’t very good.  I didn’t do the experiment to figure out why they felt the way they did though, I was just looking for non pj-fan opinions.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    It’s a protest song, not a camp fire sing along. It’s a delivery that expresses his frustration and anger with the racist biggot clown who stole and lied his way into the White House. It’s a great cadence for how pissed off we all are.
    Who’s mad? And why?
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    Who’s mad? And why?
    Dumb question. If you don’t know, then start paying attention.
  • Options
    +1

“President Agent Orange” – ATCQ has it absolutely right-on!!! 

PJ should light up that manipulative lying bastard every single night!

https://youtu.be/iupxu6v4weA

• Options
    dreamweaverdreamweaver New York Posts: 710
    OMG!! The amount of critics in this community is laughable! The song rocks! If you don’t think it does, keep it to yourself, don’t try to force it down anyone else’s throat, and write/recording a better song yourself! 

The “doesn’t sound like 10” crap was old 20 years ago!! Lol.
    Meadowlands, MSG 1, MSG 2 - '98
    Jones Beach NY 1 + 3 - '00
    MSG 1 + 2 - '03
    Boston Garden - '04
    Montreal - '05
    Boston Garden 1, Meadowlands 1 + 2 - '06
    Mansfield 1 - '08
    (EV solo) Boston 1 - '08
    Chicago 1 - '09
    MSG -'10
    Brooklyn 1+2 - '13
    Central Park - '15
    MSG - '16
    Fenway - '16
    Wrigley - '16
    (RRHOF) Brooklyn - '17
    Fenway - '18
    MSG - '22
  • Options
    october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    Lol 

How pissed off we all are? I'm not pissed. Millions of us aren't pissed. I will say that it has been sweet, sweet music watching all of you leftist maniacs wear pink hats and scream and cry into the air over nothing. Fake social justice outrage is annoying but hilarious. What was that women's march about? A wage gap that doesn't exist? Or pussies or something? I still haven't gotten an explanation. You have to love a women's march for social justice organized in large part by a conservative Muslim lol

And what about Black Lives Matter? A movement that began under the proven-false "hands up, don't shoot" narrative that never actually happened. Or how about the violence of antifa? Why doesn't Pearl Jam write a song about the restricted speech on America's campuses?Because it's not trendy to speak the truth about all of this bullshit and call it out for what it is, that's why.

I've disagreed with Pearl Jam's politics for a long time, but I've always loved their music, including their political songs because the music and lyrics were great and they were actually about something real. It's sad to see them go from anti-war songs, personal songs about suicide or an actually case of police brutality, to generic social justice whining. Read the lyrics to CDM. It's a grown man bitching about nothing. It's pathetic and beneath the talents of this band. 
  • Options
    SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,347
    october22 said:
    Lol 

How pissed off we all are? I'm not pissed. Millions of us aren't pissed. I will say that it has been sweet, sweet music watching all of you leftist maniacs wear pink hats and scream and cry into the air over nothing. Fake social justice outrage is annoying but hilarious. What was that women's march about? A wage gap that doesn't exist? Or pussies or something? I still haven't gotten an explanation. You have to love a women's march for social justice organized in large part by a conservative Muslim lol

And what about Black Lives Matter? A movement that began under the proven-false "hands up, don't shoot" narrative that never actually happened. Or how about the violence of antifa? Why doesn't Pearl Jam write a song about the restricted speech on America's campuses?Because it's not trendy to speak the truth about all of this bullshit and call it out for what it is, that's why.

I've disagreed with Pearl Jam's politics for a long time, but I've always loved their music, including their political songs because the music and lyrics were great and they were actually about something real. It's sad to see them go from anti-war songs, personal songs about suicide or an actually case of police brutality, to generic social justice whining. Read the lyrics to CDM. It's a grown man bitching about nothing. It's pathetic and beneath the talents of this band. 
    Welp...There goes the neighborhood
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,754
    edited March 2018
    october22 said:
    Lol 

Breitbart comments section is that way -------------->

Edit: Back on topic this song is growing on me!
    Post edited by PJNB on
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,426
    PJNB said:
    october22 said:
    Lol 

Lol 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    PJNB said:
    october22 said:
    Lol 

Haha Well, aren't you just hilarious? Such wit. That's right; anyone who calls out the left and a vapid song for being full of shit must be a Breitbart reader...Good one.
  • Options
    october22 said:
    Lol 

Haha. I’m glad the song is pissing you off. Hell of a leader. Be proud of the disgrace you voted in. I’m not even a democrat just someone who loves this song and am glad about it’s message. 

Do do yourself a favor and learn all the words, its gunna be a great sing along this summer!!!!

you can’t deny me!!!!
  • Options
    october22 said:
    PJNB said:
    october22 said:
    Lol 

Haha Well, aren't you just hilarious? Such wit. That's right; anyone who calls out the left and a vapid song for being full of shit must be a Breitbart reader...Good one.
    I never said you were a Breitbart reader. I said the comments section was that way ------------> since your talking points were straight from their playbook. Not sure what the left has to do with this conversation. 

• Options
    edited March 2018
    Post edited by Sea on
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    edited March 2018

You brought up that “child rapist” thing on the AMT and got roundly schooled there for it. You’re still peddling it here, though, even though not a word of it is true. Kind of like Trump does. 

Post edited by Sea on
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    october22 said:
    october22 said:
    Lol 

Haha. I’m glad the song is pissing you off. Hell of a leader. Be proud of the disgrace you voted in. I’m not even a democrat just someone who loves this song and am glad about it’s message. 

Do do yourself a favor and learn all the words, its gunna be a great sing along this summer!!!!

you can’t deny me!!!!
    I voted for Trump? I don't remember saying that. Just because I call out a shitty song for what it is, and group-think, and ill-informed, childish leftist mobs doesn't mean I'm a republican or Trump voter/supporter. I think Trump is a douche and dangerous. But I am damn happy he beat that evil woman, though. You know, that woman caught on tape cackling and bragging about how funny it was when she got a child rapist out of a prison sentence. Yeah, that woman. The woman who was caught "colluding" with the DNC to steal the election from Sanders? The woman who stuck by her rapist husband and accused his victims of lying? Real champion for women's rights there, isn't she? #MeToo   I could go on and on and on...Would you and Pearl Jam have been so outraged if that criminal won? Would you have marched? Would we have such an awesome "protest" song like Can't Deny Me? The left and this band are hypocrites and full of shit. That's all I'm saying.

Enjoy the shows this summer. Don't forget your pussy hat. 
    You brought up that “child rapist” thing on the AMT and got roundly schooled there for it. You’re still peddling it here, though, even though not a word of it is true. Kind of like Trump does. 

Did I? That might have been someone else. I honestly don't remember ever posting about that here.

No way to get schooled about it though. Unless you're splitting hairs about her saying she wouldn't trust a lie detector test after that case. Is that the incredible schooling that was given? Wouldn't hang my hat on that if I were you.
  • Options
    october22 said:
    october22 said:
    Lol 

you can’t deny me!!!!
    I voted for Trump? I don't remember saying that. Just because I call out a shitty song for what it is, and group-think, and ill-informed, childish leftist mobs doesn't mean I'm a republican or Trump voter/supporter. I think Trump is a douche and dangerous. But I am damn happy he beat that evil woman, though. You know, that woman caught on tape cackling and bragging about how funny it was when she got a child rapist out of a prison sentence. Yeah, that woman. The woman who was caught "colluding" with the DNC to steal the election from Sanders? The woman who stuck by her rapist husband and accused his victims of lying? Real champion for women's rights there, isn't she? #MeToo   I could go on and on and on...Would you and Pearl Jam have been so outraged if that criminal won? Would you have marched? Would we have such an awesome "protest" song like Can't Deny Me? The left and this band are hypocrites and full of shit. That's all I'm saying.

october22 said:
    october22 said:
    Lol 

you can’t deny me!!!!

Jeeze, that’s enough. Time for you to take a time out 
    break in the angry corner. Don’t be so angry , peace and love.

• Options
    october22 said:
    october22 said:
    Lol 

you can’t deny me!!!!

october22 said:
    october22 said:
    Lol 

you can’t deny me!!!!

Jeeze, that’s enough. Time for you to take a time out 
    break in the angry corner. Don’t be so angry , peace and love.

ok.
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,058
    I hope this song (and album?) lose some of the whiny fan base. kind of like No Code did with a lot of the casual fans in the 90’s. 
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,001

Pearl Jam's new track from their forthcoming album on Monkeywrench/Republic Records is out now!

“Can’t Deny Me” was co-produced by Pearl Jam and Brendan O'Brien. The track was recorded in Seattle last month and released as a surprise early download to Ten Club members last Saturday.

Eddie wrote the song's lyrics set to music written by Mike. Jeff created the single's artwork in collaboration with PJ's longtime Videographer, Kevin Shuss.

“Can’t Deny Me” is available now in the SHOP and via all digital download and streaming services

Pearl Jam kicks off their TOUR of South America in Santiago, Chile today.

Nothing about being the first single, only the "xmas single" and that is from the forthcoming album...

How does that not make it the first single? It’s a single that was doubled as the Xmas single (no other Xmas singles were available for $1). No other singles from the album have been released, so that makes it the first single from the album.
  • Options
    I hope this song (and album?) lose some of the whiny fan base. kind of like No Code did with a lot of the casual fans in the 90’s. 
    Yeah, that would be nice
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    october22 said:
    october22 said:
    october22 said:
    Lol 

you can’t deny me!!!!

Did I? That might have been someone else. I honestly don't remember ever posting about that here.

No way to get schooled about it though. Unless you're splitting hairs about her saying she wouldn't trust a lie detector test after that case. Is that the incredible schooling that was given? Wouldn't hang my hat on that if I were you.
    Nope, I'm not splitting hairs. Your facts are wrong, gleaned from too much right wing media.

1. Clinton was a court appointed lawyer. Despite this, she attempted to refuse the case, but was told that she had been appointed by the judge and was not allowed to refuse.

2. That being the case, she defended her client to the best of her abilities, as a lawyer is required to do. The basis of the American legal system is that everyone gets the opportunity to have a competent defense, because the deck is already stacked against each defendant, given the state-funded prosecution. 

3. Thereafter, she was interviewed on tape about the case. I've read the transcript of the tape. At no point does she laugh about "getting a child rapist out of a prison sentence". At some points she kind of gives a what-can-you-do sort of "ha" about procedural aspects of the case, which she had no control over, but not about the verdict.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    october22 said:
    october22 said:
    october22 said:
    Lol 

you can’t deny me!!!!

Nope, I'm not splitting hairs. Your facts are wrong, gleaned from too much right wing media.

1. Clinton was a court appointed lawyer. Despite this, she attempted to refuse the case, but was told that she had been appointed by the judge and was not allowed to refuse.

2. That being the case, she defended her client to the best of her abilities, as a lawyer is required to do. The basis of the American legal system is that everyone gets the opportunity to have a competent defense, because the deck is already stacked against each defendant, given the state-funded prosecution. 

3. Thereafter, she was interviewed on tape about the case. I've read the transcript of the tape. At no point does she laugh about "getting a child rapist out of a prison sentence". At some points she kind of gives a what-can-you-do sort of "ha" about procedural aspects of the case, which she had no control over, but not about the verdict.
    No. Go and listen to her chuckle about never trusting a lie detector again after this guy passed it. It is unethical to put forth a not guilty plea if you believe your client is guilty. It's that simple. Nothing "what can you do" or "ha ha" about it in a child rape case. You are splitting hairs. Also pretty funny how this is your best defense against this horrible person. Trump is an asshole and a damn hard candidate to pull a lever for, I'll give you that, but how anyone can admire or defend Hillary Clinton is beyond me. 
  • Options
    Travels WithTravels With Posts: 547
    edited March 2018
    Oftenreading & 10/22 -- I'm sure you're both delightful people.  Please continue your engaging debate on a more appropriate thread.  This is the CDM thread....and on to that note...
    The first 3 listens of this song I wasn't sure.  Parts of it I liked but the song as a whole wasn't speaking to me.  The lines that were stuck in my head kept bringing me back to listen to it again and again.  And now, I love it.  It might be one I don't list to as much once the album comes out but currently, I'm loving it.  Even my 12 year old son is walking around the house singing it.  If this were some other band and I heard this, I may not be drawn to it as much -- not sure.  I do know my PJ bias is in full force with this one and I'm pretty happy to have some new music from them.   
    “I suppose our capacity for self-delusion is boundless.” ― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America
  • Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,175
    Could this be the most polarising PJ lead single ever!? They’ve release a few singles that certainly got people talking, good and bad, ...Who You Are, Nothing as it Seems, The Fixer, WWS.

I hope this wasn’t a rushed release? However I’ve got great faith in this band and the decisions they make. They just don’t always make the decisions we expect.

For what it’s worth I dont mind to the song but it may work better as a cohesive whole with other songs in an album. I wonder what track number it’ll be? I’m hoping it’s not track one. Probably two or three!? 
    they lost a LOT of fans when they put out Who You Are. it confused them. including me. I dropped off a while becuase I didn't appreciate No Code at the time. I think that might be the one. 
    I think their goal at the time was to narrow their fan base and take off some pressure. WYA sure did that.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,241
    october22 said:
    october22 said:
    october22 said:
    october22 said:
    Lol 

you can’t deny me!!!!

No. Go and listen to her chuckle about never trusting a lie detector again after this guy passed it. It is unethical to put forth a not guilty plea if you believe your client is guilty. It's that simple. Nothing "what can you do" or "ha ha" about it in a child rape case. You are splitting hairs. Also pretty funny how this is your best defense against this horrible person. Trump is an asshole and a damn hard candidate to pull a lever for, I'll give you that, but how anyone can admire or defend Hillary Clinton is beyond me. 
    It sounds like the brainwashing worked.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/mar/17/data-war-whistleblower-christopher-wylie-faceook-nix-bannon-trump

Although, I didn't see anything about the propaganda they were pushing to make you think there isn't a wage gap. Sounds like your biggest fears are women with power, women with a voice and Muslims. Man, no wonder you hate this song. It's not awesome, but your bitterness is ridiculous.

Sorry dude, I didn't realize the Attack of the Body Snatchers sequel had come out as Attack of the Mind Snatchers. Most of the people you are arguing with aren't even "leftists", but what ever makes you feel superior since you know. What do I know, I voted for a child rapist supporter over an actual sexual predator and habitual liar.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    kb272930kb272930 Posts: 62
     awesome post ! I agree too many hive mentality " oh this song is great " because it bashes Trump people on this board . well said dude .

" Don't forget your pussy hat " classic . Must be nice surfing around the world and playing fund raisers for your corporate friends .

• Options
    kb272930 said:
     awesome post ! I agree too many hive mentality " oh this song is great " because it bashes Trump people on this board . well said dude .

" Don't forget your pussy hat " classic . Must be nice surfing around the world and playing fund raisers for your corporate friends .

You could also say there is too many people using the same hive mentality dismissing it because it is dissing Trump but hey I would not expect someone that liked Trump to notice that small detail. (I am not saying that everyone that does not like it is because of the knock on Trump)

• Options
    kb272930kb272930 Posts: 62
    I don't like politicians in general . All hypocrites . I love Pearl Jam , this song not so much .
  • Options
    kaseylilykaseylily Michigan, USA Posts: 259
    Maybe someone should start a political thread.
    There's a lot of shit being spewed around on this one.
    Not that anyone cares of my opinion, but I like the new song.
    Catchy ..and I'm excited for more new stuff!