Options

CAN'T DENY ME!!!

Comments

• Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,394
    So for fun yesterday I played the song a few times to our lunch crowd during mid day service to see what their reaction was. Most folks in town are mid 30’s in age so that’s the crowd. I played it three times in a row and then brought it up while I was walking the dining room. It was about 80% hated it and 20% thought it was ok.  The ones that liked it said it sounded “heavy” or “punk,” so they liked it. Most people said they thought the singer was trying way too hard, others said it was just awful. Keep in mind it’s friday of sxsw here in town so there’s a lot of music fans around, 
    would need to know what type of music most of them are into. If they only know Pearl Jam from Ten and expect that. New music sometimes takes radio overplaying it a thousand times for a new listener to like it. 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    igotid88 said:
    So for fun yesterday I played the song a few times to our lunch crowd during mid day service to see what their reaction was. Most folks in town are mid 30’s in age so that’s the crowd. I played it three times in a row and then brought it up while I was walking the dining room. It was about 80% hated it and 20% thought it was ok.  The ones that liked it said it sounded “heavy” or “punk,” so they liked it. Most people said they thought the singer was trying way too hard, others said it was just awful. Keep in mind it’s friday of sxsw here in town so there’s a lot of music fans around, 
    would need to know what type of music most of them are into. If they only know Pearl Jam from Ten and expect that. New music sometimes takes radio overplaying it a thousand times for a new listener to like it. 
    True. South-by is everything though, and tastes in Austin are pretty all over the board.  Spoon is from here, so is doom side of the moon, srv, etc.  if you’ve never been here you wouldn’t know but music is appreciated for being music mostly, not for what type it is. There’s a decent punk and stoner metal following, but also Americana and folk and country and blues for sure.

with that said the folks who are out and about in town this week and having lunch in my place are all music lovers, that’s why they’re here for sxsw.  Sxsw is where jack White played on a curb, etc- not uncommon to see famous musicians just walking around.  I wasn’t surprised they were mostly down on it, the song is super weak.  I just wanted to hear what music fans thought of it. And no one was pissed I played it several times by the way, they dug the idea and actually asked me to pick more unknown songs to do it with after.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,391
    igotid88 said:
    True. South-by is everything though, and tastes in Austin are pretty all over the board.  Spoon is from here, so is doom side of the moon, srv, etc.  if you’ve never been here you wouldn’t know but music is appreciated for being music mostly, not for what type it is. There’s a decent punk and stoner metal following, but also Americana and folk and country and blues for sure.

with that said the folks who are out and about in town this week and having lunch in my place are all music lovers, that’s why they’re here for sxsw.  Sxsw is where jack White played on a curb, etc- not uncommon to see famous musicians just walking around.  I wasn’t surprised they were mostly down on it, the song is super weak.  I just wanted to hear what music fans thought of it. And no one was pissed I played it several times by the way, they dug the idea and actually asked me to pick more unknown songs to do it with after.
    If they are that big on music they would have heard it already :wink:
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    Still trying to fully get into the studio version, but the live version -wow! I like it a lot better. Interesting, I think in the studio version, the choruses are better, while live the verses really stand out.

Now I'm really looking forward to seeing this live!! Certainly a catchy song, as well--been stuck in my head a lot lately.
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,206
    samjam said:
    Still trying to fully get into the studio version, but the live version -wow! I like it a lot better. Interesting, I think in the studio version, the choruses are better, while live the verses really stand out.

Now I'm really looking forward to seeing this live!! Certainly a catchy song, as well--been stuck in my head a lot lately.
    I agree, the verses are much better live. 
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    igotid88 said:

They’re probably more into underground stuff.  I’d assume PJ is too main stream for most of them.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    edited March 2018
    The song is not in Ed's wheel house.  I thought he was really straining to sing it.  The music is not creative.  It sounds like music from the B team Seattle bands that the band seems to love but is not good music.   I'm not interested in garage bands that stay garage bands for 20 years.
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    igotid88 said:

Doubtful.
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,060
    Good. I like that most of them didn’t like it. It’s raw, it’s heavy, it’s punk. Love it. 
  • Options
    samjam said:

I like the live version better too. I'm still trying to like the studio version. In both studio and live, I do like the choruses a lot.
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • Options
    hsohihsohi Posts: 1,033
    TripleB said:
    I can't open it on my laptop or my iPhone.  Can anyone please give me any suggestions.  Thank you.
    Me either, downloaded to file that won't open. 
    Consider yourself lucky.
    Song is nothing to get excited about.
    London Ontario 2013, Buffalo New York 2013, Lincoln Nebraska 2014, Quebec City 2016
  • Options
    it's comatose and MYM if they had a baby
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,865
    october22 said:
    Listened to it many times for the hell of it. I would never have given this song a second chance if it was by any other band.

I still think it sucks. It's not interesting musically or lyrically and Ed's vocal performance is actually irritating. Here is some conjecture; most of you who like this song wouldn't like it if it was by another band. Most of you who like this song only like it because it's "anti-Trump" (I guess) and that excites you.
    But it isn’t another band. Doesn’t make sense to say this. I wouldn’t listen to probably all of their catalog if it were another band doing it.
    This is true - it's why I never got into Creed.

As for CDM, I like it because I like it. Not my favorite PJ song, but not something I'd skip on the forthcoming album.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • Options
    I've heard it maybe 100 times this week. And I still like it.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    DEGBTIDEGBTI san diego Posts: 917
    love this song! didnt care for it at first, cant stop singing it to my dog, wife is over it!
  • Options
    Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    DEGBTI said:
    love this song! didnt care for it at first, cant stop singing it to my dog, wife is over it!
    I asked my wife to make me lunch. she said, "no!"
    I said,  " you can't deny me!"
    She said, "shut up!"

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    ceskaceska New York Posts: 1,076
    Can't Deny Me headlines Friday New York Times review:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/16/arts/music/playlist-pearl-jam-willie-nelson-meshell-ndegeocello.html
    "For about 40 seconds at the beginning of “Can’t Deny Me,” the first original new Pearl Jam song in five years, the band is downright itchy — Eddie Vedder trades the messianic for the agitated, the guitars are a little arrogantly lazy, the drumming is filthy. It’s bracing, a nervy and grounded protest from a band that ordinarily prefers to soar. (Pearl Jam dedicated its live performance debut of this song to the students affected by the Parkland, Fla. school shooting.) But then something like a melody arrives, and the song begins to resolve itself into something clean, plaintive, not nervous at all. A shame. JON CARAMANICA"
  • Options
    kaseylilykaseylily Michigan, USA Posts: 259
    Hi! said:
    DEGBTI said:
    She said, "shut up!"
    Hilarious! Cracking me up today!
  • Options
    Since when is having melodic chorus a bad thing?
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    Abe Froman said:

It’s raw, it’s heavy, it’s punk. Love it. 
    Lol
  • Options
    LastExitBJPLastExitBJP Posts: 79
    edited March 2018
    I don't like saying negative things about their stuff cause I'm not their age and making music, but the studio version sounds like it wasn't produced well. Ever since Backspacer it feels like the soul is gone . . . Avocado was amazing as a record . . . what's changed since then? I can hear what they were going for with Can't Deny Me but it doesn't come through, which is why I agree that the live version sounds a million times better. However the version we got in our downloads sounds like the chorus and verses were copied and pasted together with garage band. I wish the guys would just not give a shit about trying to reach the mainstream because the new stuff just sounds . . . plastic? Bring back the No Code vibes. Hell I'd wait as long as I'd have to get some genuine PJ.  
    Post edited by LastExitBJP on
  • Options
    SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,347
    I don't like saying negative things about their stuff cause I'm not their age and making music, but the studio version sounds like it wasn't produced well. Ever since Backspacer it feels like the soul is gone . . . Avocado was amazing as a record . . . what's changed since then? I can hear what they were going for with Can't Deny Me but it doesn't come through, which is why I agree that the live version sounds a million times better. However the version we got in our downloads sounds like the chorus and verses were copied and pasted together with garage band. I wish the guys would just not give a shit about trying to reach the mainstream because the new stuff just sounds . . . plastic? Bring back the No Code vibes. Hell I'd wait as long as I'd have to get some genuine PJ.  
    Obviously I wasn't in the room... but I've always felt that other life obligations lead to them allowing Brendan Obrien to "Frankenstein" together an album and being more willing to listen to him than past albums.
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,427
    igotid88 said:

They’re probably more into underground stuff.  I’d assume PJ is too main stream for most of them.
    Well... if they’re only into underground stuff that explains why they didn’t like it, right?
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    Hi! said:
    DEGBTI said:
    She said, "shut up!"

Haha!!!!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    Some love this song. Others hate it. One thing is for sure. Every time I hear it I have it stuck in my head for hours! It gets trapped in my head on repeat. Lol 
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,919
    bbiggs said:
    Some love this song. Others hate it. One thing is for sure. Every time I hear it I have it stuck in my head for hours! It gets trapped in my head on repeat. Lol 
    Same. I don't love it but it is undeniably catchy.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719
    I agree that it's catchy- I found it to be so right from the first listening-- but I found myself wanting to chase it out of my head just as quickly.  I just find it irritatingly catchy.
    The song is not in Ed's wheel house.  I thought he was really straining to sing it.  The music is not creative.  It sounds like music from the B team Seattle bands that the band seems to love but is not good music.   I'm not interested in garage bands that stay garage bands for 20 years.
    That's a major problem with the song for me.  Ed has such a great voice and it matured around the time of No Code and Riot Act.  Now he's trying to scream like a twenty-something rock star instead of just using that strong tenor/baritone voice to good use.  He can do so much better. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,677
    edited March 2018
    It’s a protest song, not a camp fire sing along. It’s a delivery that expresses his frustration and anger with the racist biggot clown who stole and lied his way into the White House. It’s a great cadence for how pissed off we all are.
    Post edited by THEBIBLEISTEN on
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719
    It’s a protest song, not a camp fire sing along. It’s a delivery that expresses his frustration and anger with the racist biggot clown who stole and lied his way into the White House. It’s a great cadence for how pissed off we all are.
    I'm trying to picture what a Pearl Jam campfire sing along would sound like.  Or better yet, I'm trying not to picture that. :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,268
    adamg5 said:
    Pap said:
    adamg5 said: question..what’s that ringing sound..? almost sounds like an old cash register..start hearing it at 0:04
    Good point! Some say it's a typewriter. I hear a spray paint can shaking sound effect. :i_dunno:
    Cameron striking a Triangle ?
    Maybe?
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024