dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    Here here Mr. Hawkins

https://youtu.be/mh6be1tz6Os
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    He just had a ton of expectations around him when he was young and he never lived up to the grand dreams that people had devised for him.  There are people like Feynman who accomplished more in the field without the hype.

I'm not knocking Hawking at all, that's just the way some see it.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,534
    rgambs said:
    He just had a ton of expectations around him when he was young and he never lived up to the grand dreams that people had devised for him.  There are people like Feynman who accomplished more in the field without the hype.

Yeah, that little ALS thing kind of got in the way of some of those other people's fantasies about him, I'm sure. The fact that Hawking did what he did with such a profound disability is absolutely incredible. But his main legacy is what he did to bring science closer to mainstream consciousness, and got regular people interested in questions about the universe... Every scientist in the world should be grateful for that.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,941
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:

Yeah, that little ALS thing kind of got in the way of some of those other people's fantasies about him, I'm sure. The fact that Hawking did what he did with such a profound disability is absolutely incredible. But his main legacy is what he did to bring science closer to mainstream consciousness, and got regular people interested in questions about the universe... Every scientist in the world should be grateful for that.
    Agreed. Please explian not living up to grand dreams??the man was the Einstein of our generation WITH ALS!!. Wow what more can a human do to become a legend.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:

Agreed. Please explian not living up to grand dreams??the man was the Einstein of our generation WITH ALS!!. Wow what more can a human do to become a legend. And by hype you must mean gaining recognition for his achievements whilst everyday not being able to move a muscle and still be positive for 50 odd years

brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Tough crowd
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    A truly brilliant mind. He was a harbinger of curiosity; he influenced me from afar - at a young age - to never stop asking questions and seeking answers to the unknown.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:

Agreed. Please explian not living up to grand dreams??the man was the Einstein of our generation WITH ALS!!. Wow what more can a human do to become a legend.
    People legitimately thought that he would deliver the Unified Theory.  He did not.  He wasn't the Einstein of our generation though, that was Feynman (string theory).  Einstein was a game changer, a paradigm shifter, a trailblazer...like Newton before him, he changed physics in a fundamental way.
    Hawking did not do that.  He did utterly brilliant work in established fields more than he established fields of his own.
    As PjSoul pointed out, his greatest achievement in science was the inspiration and enthusiasm he created.  His spirit was clearly indomitable and his contributions to theoretical physics were huge, he is certainly a legend.
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    I'm interested in buying a copy of 'a brief history of time' but I read that it is difficult to finish. Has anyone read it?
    I've always been fascinated by the universe but physics is too complex for me.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,717
    I'm interested in buying a copy of 'a brief history of time' but I read that it is difficult to finish. Has anyone read it?
    Tried it once and gave up.  Too left brained and abstract for the way my brain works (or maybe it's just left-brained laziness).
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    PJWGIIIPJWGIII Chicago, IL Posts: 806
    As a person who has lost a family member to this horrible disease, his story is a huge inspiration to me.

Looks like we all moved up one spot in the "Smartest People In The World" rankings...
    "Red Rover, Red Rover, Mike McCready – Take Over!!" - E.V.

Ten Club "Ambassador" (recap-writer) - DEEP.pearljam.com
    : Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 20(20)22: St Louis 9/18 | 2023: Chicago 2 (United Center) 9/7, Indianapolis (Deer Creek) 9/10

EV:
    2018: CURE Benefit Show (Chicago - Navy Pier) 10/15

RIP: Andy, Kurt, Chris
  • Options
    It's pop physics.  It's not technical at all, but the very concepts of quantum mechanics require you to bend your mind in ways that some people have trouble with.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    rgambs said:
    It's pop physics.  It's not technical at all, but the very concepts of quantum mechanics require you to bend your mind in ways that some people have trouble with.
    That's a good way of putting it.  I read most of Black Holes and Baby Universes back in high school when it was first published.  I was a math person but oddly, physics was never my forte.  But yeah if you can wrap you mind around the general concepts, it's not an extremely difficult read. But if you have trouble imagining the abstract, it would prove to be a tough task.
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Cool, thanks for the info.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,774
    PJWGIII said:
    As a person who has lost a family member to this horrible disease, his story is a huge inspiration to me.

Looks like we all moved up one spot in the "Smartest People In The World" rankings...
    My condolences to your family.

I actually got a little creeped out in a weird way, it kind of scares me a little thinking of living in a world without Stephen Hawking.  I'm totally serious.