The Concept of God

Comments

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    totally forgot about the rapture this weekend. 
    So did the rapture. :lol:
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    LOL. 

Message from God:

"No one here gets out alive.  Stop fooling yourself with this rapture nonsense!"
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    It's a slow burn. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    In a way I envy the believers.  I guess it would be really cool to have the kind of solid confidence some folks seem to have that they will either be whisked away to paradise en masse with their family of believers or, because some divine will, be led up the golden staircase into an eternally peaceful place called Heaven.  My gut tells me that my own life will be a rather quickly fading echo.  I already feel the coils unwinding.  Best to leave as little wreckage as possible.  Try to do better or a least be a bit less corrosive.  I don't know if time really flies, but it is fleeting.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Don't envy arrogant ignorance brother Lux, read some Wendell Berry and revel in this life with it's joys and sorrows, it's a singular experience and I'm not sure I would want to cheapen it with an endless(ly boring) paradise.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    Speaking of Berry, he's one of those inexplicable poets who is simultaneously confident in a Creator and yet possesses the surety of knowledge that is usually inaccessible to those with such belief.
    edited September 2017
    He's like an electron in an excited triplet state, taking on the light of life, he makes forbidden transitions with predictable regularity, releasing the light slowly in altered wavelengths, and illuminating the world thereby.

Damn, I am one toke right to the line, that is a beautiful metaphor for physics buffs, phosphorescence is the shit.
    As a little boy I loved all things glow-in-the-dark, little did I know that a quantum mechanical improbability is responsible for that dear phenomena.
    Post edited by rgambs on
    rgambs said:
    Don't envy arrogant ignorance brother Lux, read some Wendell Berry and revel in this life with it's joys and sorrows, it's a singular experience and I'm not sure I would want to cheapen it with an endless(ly boring) paradise.
    I love Wendell Berry.  I met him briefly about 5 years ago.  I told him I had written to him back in the 80's and that he had written back and his words were much needed encouragement and inspiration that changed my life.  He looked at me sheepishly and said, "Well I'm glad I did something worthwhile."  I want to say, "Jesus, man, YOU'RE WENDELL BERRY, OF COURSE YOU DID!"  I just smiled and shook his hand.

Nice metaphor by the way!

• RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    edited September 2017
    donnaruhl said:
    I feel that most, who run the churches,are greedy. Most who attend the churches are needy, And those who believe that it doesn't matter where you worship, It's how you worship,  Are pretty damn cool.  B)  On a serious note, I do believe in God,  I've never had a denomination, And only visited a few churches in my lifetime. Two of which, Gave me migraines from the time I entered,Til the time I left. I don't believe, Just to get a spot in heaven, I believe in him, Because I feel his presence.  I know that I was born, I know that I will die. The in between is mine, To be kind, To love, To learn from my mistakes, And to teach what I've learned.....
    You said it really really well.
    Cheers!!
    Post edited by RYME on
  • FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    I would like to step forward today and say thank you to everyone that has posted here. I think often about our convos in this thread.

I believe in God.

I'm not really sure what I'm trying to say. I feel I understand "organized  religion " a little better. 

Thank you all for sharing.

But I do wonder if I'm just believing what I want so it's easy.

I know this is weird and choppy but felt I needed to get it out. Maybe it will help me process.

Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
    FoxyRedLa said:
    I would like to step forward today and say thank you to everyone that has posted here. I think often about our convos in this thread.

I believe in God.

I'm not really sure what I'm trying to say. I feel I understand "organized  religion " a little better. 

I know this is weird and choppy but felt I needed to get it out. Maybe it will help me process.

I was talking to a customer in the bookstore yesterday (actually, it was more like he was talking, I was listening- he's pretty much always like that) who made a good point that if someone has a belief system that doesn't harm anyone but at the same time that helps them get through life, there's no need to criticize that.  I agree with that notion.  He also mentioned that some atheists are so immersed in their atheism that it comes across a a religion, especially when they preach atheism.  He also pointed out that most wars and much strife in life is perpetrated by religion.

So I figure, if we could just keep all the negative and harmful aspects out of our beliefs and allow people to develop their own personal set of beliefs we would all be better off.  FoxyRed, if your belief in God is helping you find your way through this life, that's great.

My own take is that there is still many mysterious aspects of life, the universe and all that which we (or at least I) cannot understand.    Works for me!

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    edited March 2018
    brianlux said:
    FoxyRedLa said:

I believe in God.

I was talking to a customer in the bookstore yesterday (actually, it was more like he was talking, I was listening- he's pretty much always like that) who made a good point that if someone has a belief system that doesn't harm anyone but at the same time that helps them get through life, there's no need to criticize that.  I agree with that notion.  He also mentioned that some atheists are so immersed in their atheism that it comes across a a religion, especially when they preach atheism.  He also pointed out that most wars and much strife in life is perpetrated by religion.

So I figure, if we could just keep all the negative and harmful aspects out of our beliefs and allow people to develop their own personal set of beliefs we would all be better off.  FoxyRed, if your belief in God is helping you find your way through this life, that's great.

My own take is that there is still many mysterious aspects of life, the universe and all that which we (or at least I) cannot understand.    Works for me!
    this right here is why I hate being referred to as atheist. I don't identify by what I'm not. it's like calling a pedestrian an amotorist, like believing in god is the default. it makes no sense. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,694
    New here. I have no faith or god. I do not hate on those who do. I understand faith not so much god. But like the guys just said if it works for you then im pleased you found your peace. Also i would add religions can be very against eachother with makes me confused because surly they about love and acceptance. But most seem to alienate groups of people i.e gay people. I love all people probably too much for my own good. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    brianlux said:
    FoxyRedLa said:

I believe in God.

this right here is why I hate being referred to as atheist. I don't identify by what I'm not. it's like calling a pedestrian an amotorist, like believing in god is the default. it makes no sense. 
    "amotorist"  haha, clever, I like that!

What my talkative customer was trying to say is that some people who identify themselves as atheists do so rather quietly because they have nothing to prove either way and some are so demonstrative about their beliefs that they sound like evangelical atheists.

I've been referred to as an agnostic because I've stated that I find there to be mystery in life, the universe and all that stuff.  But even the term "agnostic" to me has certain parameters I don't relate to. 

Agnostic: a person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God or of anything beyond material phenomena; a person who claims neither faith nor disbelief in God.

I don't necessarily believe that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God nor do I believe that isn't possible.  Maybe there are people who actually do know these things.  Who am I to judge?  And I don't really not claim faith nor disbelief in God but I don't claim that faith either. I don't think mystery can be claimed or not claimed.  It's a mystery.

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    I disagree that belief in God harms no one though. Sure, on a personal, individual level that's how it seems, and I get that ..... But it's not that simple.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    I disagree that belief in God harms no one though. Sure, on a personal, individual level that's how it seems, and I get that ..... But it's not that simple.
    Can you expand on that a bit, maybe give example where a person's belief is absolutely harmful to another?

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Question:  Could it be that atheists/agnostics have more faith in "God" than those who actually believe in him (her/it) and worship? Hear me out...

I'm not talking about "faith" as an instrument or indoctrination of religious spirtuality.  I'm talking about "faith" by definition - complete confidence, trust, conviction in someone or something.  If God is omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscient, & benevolent, what is the point in worshipping God?  Why go to church, why pray, why submit and sacrifice your entire life in God's name?  Do you not trust God to do God's will?  What is it that the religious fear if they don't spend a life serving God?

I look around me and see everything I know and everything I need to live my life.  If God exists and has a plan, is it not enough to just let him (her/it) be and go about my way?  Let God do God's job and not be a beggar or beast of burden.  If God controls everything, he (she/it) is probably pretty fucking busy.  Way too busy to be concerned of my insignificant doings here on earth.  If anything, I'm inclined to believe that not succumbing to religion & God shows that if God does exist, I have more faith in God to do God's work than anyone who steps foot in church, kneels and prays to an anthropomorphic idol, pays money to churches, or - even worse - kills and sacrifices in God's name.  I have no fear. If God exists, I'll know when I die and he'll tell me I was wrong all along about his existence. God is all loving, right? Then why should I fear punishment? God will forgive me for my ignorance should I be proven wrong when I'm gone.

Typing this thought out, I think I just discovered the meaning of life. Just be.

• jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    edited March 2018
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Can you expand on that a bit, maybe give example where a person's belief is absolutely harmful to another?
    To me, the belief in god(s) isn't necessarily harmful to others. It is the action one takes due to that belief that can be.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • ShynerShyner Posts: 1,226
    God is the devil
    Jesus is the teacher
     the devil will cross jesus 
    Jesus will teach god
    In the end
    The father shall pass
    The holy spirit will always remain
    Jesus will morph into every human
    Making him a spirit in blood
    The people will always deny faith
    Claiming its corrupt
    Jesus never hurt nobody
    The words spoken spoken are nice

In the meantime

I am dead

edited March 2018
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I'm talking about the big picture. Their belief is what feeds the religion monster at the end of the day, all around the globe. Their belief is what allows religion to play such a massive role in government control, gender inequality, bigotry, etc. Of course I don't literally blame every individual... but one cannot deny that each and every person's belief in God is what ultimately allows people to use religion to control the masses and do harm with it.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I'm talking about the big picture. Their belief is what feeds the religion monster at the end of the day, all around the globe. Their belief is what allows religion to play such a massive role in government control, gender inequality, bigotry, etc. Of course I don't literally blame every individual... but one cannot deny that each and every person's belief in God is what ultimately allows people to use religion to control the masses and do harm with it.
    Damn!  I just lost everything I wrote for the last 10 minute.  I guess God didn't want me to say it, haha!  Basically it was an argument that not "each and every person's belief in God is what ultimately allows people to use religion to control the masses and do harm with it.".  I know of people of faith who practice their faith in a quiet and personal way and I see these as people who do far more good than harm.

Question:  Could it be that atheists/agnostics have more faith in "God" than those who actually believe in him (her/it) and worship? Hear me out...

I'm not talking about "faith" as an instrument or indoctrination of religious spirtuality.  I'm talking about "faith" by definition - complete confidence, trust, conviction in someone or something.  If God is omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscient, & benevolent, what is the point in worshipping God?  Why go to church, why pray, why submit and sacrifice your entire life in God's name?  Do you not trust God to do God's will?  What is it that the religious fear if they don't spend a life serving God?

I look around me and see everything I know and everything I need to live my life.  If God exists and has a plan, is it not enough to just let him (her/it) be and go about my way?  Let God do God's job and not be a beggar or beast of burden.  If God controls everything, he (she/it) is probably pretty fucking busy.  Way too busy to be concerned of my insignificant doings here on earth.  If anything, I'm inclined to believe that not succumbing to religion & God shows that if God does exist, I have more faith in God to do God's work than anyone who steps foot in church, kneels and prays to an anthropomorphic idol, pays money to churches, or - even worse - kills and sacrifices in God's name.  I have no fear. If God exists, I'll know when I die and he'll tell me I was wrong all along about his existence. God is all loving, right? Then why should I fear punishment? God will forgive me for my ignorance should I be proven wrong when I'm gone.

Typing this thought out, I think I just discovered the meaning of life. Just be.

Great post, Dyer.   Excellent!   And with a little added mystery (42) which I like!

• jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    brianlux said:

Great post, Dyer.   Excellent!   And with a little added mystery (42) which I like!
    No mystery there, Brian. It is well established as the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe and everything! :wink:

"I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    jeffbr said:
    brianlux said:

No mystery there, Brian. It is well established as the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe and everything! :wink:

Nice!  May the 42 be with you!

edited March 2018
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Damn!  I just lost everything I wrote for the last 10 minute.  I guess God didn't want me to say it, haha!  Basically it was an argument that not "each and every person's belief in God is what ultimately allows people to use religion to control the masses and do harm with it.".  I know of people of faith who practice their faith in a quiet and personal way and I see these as people who do far more good than harm.
    I disagree. Without the belief in God religion wouldn't exist, and if religion didn't exist it couldn't be use to control the masses and do harm with it. At the very root of the whole thing is, simply, belief in God. It's all stems from that. Whether or not specific individuals practice a religion isn't relevant to this theory. I mean, nobody would be practicing their faith in quiet if it weren't for religion, even if they're not "religious", and religion wouldn't exist without that faith. It's all connected.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • amethgr8amethgr8 Posts: 766
    FoxyRedLa said:

I know now, maybe for the past year or so, I don't have the same "belief" in God that I had for many years.  I think being exposed to it as a child and taught as a big part of life is the main reason I believed for so long and with such conviction.  I see so many more possibilities now, I'm not sure that there is a "God" as a diety.  I believe now more of a non-specific life-force or energy and may tie into other energies to create chain reactions, etc.  I'm trying to tap into that to see where that takes me.  I am part of that force but it's hard to not have definition after having such specific definition for so long.
    Amy The Great #74594
    New Orleans LA 7/4/95 reschedule 9/17/95
    Chicago IL 1998, 10/9/00, 06/18/03, 05/16/06, 05/17/06
    08/23/09, 08/24/09, Lolla 08/05/07
    Champaign IL 4/23/03
    Grand Rapids MI VFC 10/03/04
    Grand Rapids MI 19May06
    Noblesville IN 05/07/10 Cleveland OH 05/09/10
    PJ 20 2011
    Baltimore MD, Charlottesville VA, Seattle WA 2013
    St. Louis MO, Milwaukee WI 2014
    Tampa FL, Chicago IL, Lexington KY 2016
    Missoula MT 2018
    brianlux said:
    FoxyRedLa said:

I believe in God.

Thank you Brian. 

I have learned a lot from each of you not just in this thread.

I often wonder if the Bible they teach with today was interpreted wrong or written for "organized " gain. I understand these aren't new concepts. 

But I think back someone asked me many pages back if I took the Bible literally and I said yes. And since then I've wondered what the hell am I believing? Do I believe the Bible literally or do I just believe in good and not evil? I don't know every inch of the Bible. 

I think what I'm mostly getting at here with my earlier post is I believed I WAS using my own brain and HAD my own mind. But what you guys have taught me is how to do it better? I don't even know if that's the correct way to express that but. Maybe I'm freer to expand and explore my own thoughts beliefs.

I'm still trying to figure out how to say what I'm trying to say.  

You guys didn't change my mind but I feel freer.

I don't know the 42 reference.

I have always wondered the same on the flip side. Why would any one fear Lucifer? If evil is his goal and you fulfill this why would he harm and torture you in the after life?

There is a lot that is strange but there is a lot that just feels right.

But the meaning of life can't be just be. I don't believe that.

FoxyRedLa said:
    brianlux said:
    FoxyRedLa said:

I believe in God.

Thank you Brian. 

I have learned a lot from each of you not just in this thread.

I often wonder if the Bible they teach with today was interpreted wrong or written for "organized " gain. I understand these aren't new concepts. 

But I think back someone asked me many pages back if I took the Bible literally and I said yes. And since then I've wondered what the hell am I believing? Do I believe the Bible literally or do I just believe in good and not evil? I don't know every inch of the Bible. 

I think what I'm mostly getting at here with my earlier post is I believed I WAS using my own brain and HAD my own mind. But what you guys have taught me is how to do it better? I don't even know if that's the correct way to express that but. Maybe I'm freer to expand and explore my own thoughts beliefs.

I'm still trying to figure out how to say what I'm trying to say.  

You guys didn't change my mind but I feel freer.
    There is plenty of space for you to occupy between "the Bible is the literal word of God" and "there is no God".
    Moving people into that space is enough of a goal for me, that's enough to eradicate the ugliness of religion and it allows people to have the faith they need to not see life as a bleak, meaningless, and terrifying experience.
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I'm sorry. I know this isn't the subject. But I'm more exhausted with the racist bullshit back and forth. Daily I deal with :open_mouth: did you just say that. Wtf man. Prime example. My white female coworker has convo with black man coworker. Black man is telling story about how he and his brother both stand like their dad. Going on and on lovey dovey. Female coworker says blah blah blah monkey see monkey do blah blah blah you're family is so loving and close. Black coworker stops the convo and says something along the lines of you're lucky you are who you are and we're friends cuz if we weren't....blah blah blah. I was disgusted and immediately turned off. Really? Everyday at work. It's absolutely exhausting.