CAN'T DENY ME!!!

Comments

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,979
    Vedd Hedd said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    I had friends who stopped being pearl jam fans when "Who You Are" was released. 
    Ha, yeah, well, there's no accounting for taste obviously. But still.... objectively, what they're doing now isn't on the same level as what they were doing in the 90s or early 2000s. I mean, come on. 
    Late 90s, no. I agree there.

But I like Lightning Bolt better than Backspacer, Avocado and Riot Act.

lb is better than avocado and riot act????
    Yes. 

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    Vedd Hedd said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    Ha, yeah, well, there's no accounting for taste obviously. But still.... objectively, what they're doing now isn't on the same level as what they were doing in the 90s or early 2000s. I mean, come on. 

Yes. 
    different stroked for different folks. I love both those albums. between Riot Act and LB years, LB is my least favourite (also my least favourite overall), and Avocado is my favourite. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,533
    Vedd Hedd said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Vedd Hedd said:

Yes. 
    :dizzy:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,466
    Haha, indeed. Don't get me wrong, either. I dont dislike any of their albums. I just find myself reaching for Riot Act and Avocado less than the others. Some great songs on those (life wasted, severed hand, i am mine, etc) but too many Big Waves, parachutes, etc.  

LB is awesome tho. I'm apparently one of the few that likes Future Days. But MYM, LB, Pendulum, Infallible, etc. I think the only song i kinda skip is let the records play.

Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,677
    Riot act is incredible , thumbing my way sounds perfect. Great record. ST is more aggressive, songs like Severed hand, inside Job and WWS are classic PJ. LB and BS have some good moments but too polished. But from a complete piece of work, Riot Act is a A+. It’s funny cause when I first heard it, I thought it’s was terrible.
  • Options
    Vedd Hedd said:
    Haha, indeed. Don't get me wrong, either. I dont dislike any of their albums. I just find myself reaching for Riot Act and Avocado less than the others. Some great songs on those (life wasted, severed hand, i am mine, etc) but too many Big Waves, parachutes, etc.  

LB is awesome tho. I'm apparently one of the few that likes Future Days. But MYM, LB, Pendulum, Infallible, etc. I think the only song i kinda skip is let the records play.

I do agree there are some great tracks on LB. Unfortunately, the ones I don't like (Sirens, FD), bring it down several levels. Sirens and FD are the only two album tracks since Betterman I EVER skip. And my Betterman hate is most likely due to the radio overplaying it. Sirens and FD I hated, yes, HATED, the first time I heard them. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,466
    Vedd Hedd said:

I do agree there are some great tracks on LB. Unfortunately, the ones I don't like (Sirens, FD), bring it down several levels. Sirens and FD are the only two album tracks since Betterman I EVER skip. And my Betterman hate is most likely due to the radio overplaying it. Sirens and FD I hated, yes, HATED, the first time I heard them. 
    I went back and forth on Sirens. At first i wasn't a fan. Then it sorta grew on me a bit. Then i wasnt a fan again. 

Thats why I like FD, its just quieter in nature, not as anthemic as Sirens.

I love Betterman tho.
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    Future Days may have been ruined for me from the start from the opening keyboard intro. I blame BoB and his obsession with making this band a radio hit maker. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    ShynerShyner Posts: 1,226
    Producers suck
    Every pj album should say pearl jam produced it
    Its like me saying i wrote the even flow solo
  • Options
    Shyner said:
    Producers suck
    well, actually, it's not like that at all.

producers are like project managers. but some producers go so far as to consider themselves part of the band. I've heard BoB say "we" and "our album" way too many times over the years. Bugs me. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    guypjfreakguypjfreak Posts: 2,281
    Didn't sound too grand to good from last night's chilli concert but then you don't know how long he had been singing...
  • Options
    -Buru--Buru- Santa Barbara, CA Posts: 1,292
    Riot act is incredible , thumbing my way sounds perfect. Great record. ST is more aggressive, songs like Severed hand, inside Job and WWS are classic PJ. LB and BS have some good moments but too polished. But from a complete piece of work, Riot Act is a A+. It’s funny cause when I first heard it, I thought it’s was terrible.
    I love Riot Act, and Thumbing My Way is one of my absolute favorite songs. So YES to all of this.
    Oh and I happen to like "Can't Deny Me' and I bet it will be fun live.
    I am just a dreamer, but you are just a dream...
    If I knew where it was I would take you there.

• Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,781
    edited March 2018
    I think can’t deny me will be great live.  A few little kinks to work out and obviously the audience has yet to learn “their parts”. I totally think there will be a clap-along/scream along moment. 

And i I love the cowbell chair. 
    Post edited by shetellsherself on
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    ConorKavanaghConorKavanagh Ireland Posts: 1,148
    Just watched the live video there and thought it was pretty awesome. It was cool to see Eddie playing cowbell on the song. I reckon it will get better!
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
  • Options
    Even though I'm having trouble warming up to the song, I have to admit, I did prefer the live version. Maybe it will grow on me yet!
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,876
    Just watched the live video there and thought it was pretty awesome. It was cool to see Eddie playing cowbell on the song. I reckon it will get better!
    Man I cringed watching him play the cowbell. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    igotid88 said:
    Why can't I find it in itunes?
    https://apple.co/2FAc1Wp
    Right, but if I go straight to itunes and search Pearl Jam, it doesn't come up in the results.  If people don't already have that link, I'm not sure how they'd find it.
    Just search “Pearl Jam can’t deny me”
    They must've fixed it. Just searching "Pearl Jam" brings it up now.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
  • Options
    THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,677
    mcgruff10 said:
    Man I cringed watching him play the cowbell. 
    Why would you cringe? That’s odd.
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    Holy shit watching that live was punishment.  Had to turn it off at the first chorus.  I know it’ll grow on me but woof that was ugly.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    Yeah those iPhone videos really capture the sound and energy so well. 
    looking to hear of the earth
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,916
    edited March 2018
    :lol:

I do enjoy 'em though.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    JimmyV said:
    :lol:

I do enjoy 'em though.
    I understand wanting to go see the videos of the new song played live. I watched them all too. I thought Ed playing the cowbell was rock n roll at its finest. It looked fun and he was into it. Claiming the bands performance sucked based on those videos is, err, a stretch. 
    looking to hear of the earth
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    I wasn’t referring to the recording device, though I wish I was.  That performance was rough.  Banging on a cow bell is a better look for Christopher Walken than it is for Ed.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    Live Debut...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7qcpRlQi3U

I've been down on the vocals during the verses on the single but I think he sound ways better here. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,240
    I really liked the live version. Eddie was definitely in to it and he used the chair like a protester making a stand at the end.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    My thoughts on watching/listening to the live version: 

1. They need to play it live a few more times to work out the kinks in timing
    2. Right now it drags in the middle
    3. I think it's going to be fun by the time I get to see it this summer
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,754
    My thoughts on watching/listening to the live version: 

1. They need to play it live a few more times to work out the kinks in timing
    2. Right now it drags in the middle
    3. I think it's going to be fun by the time I get to see it this summer
    Agreed on all 3 accounts especially number 2. 
  • Options
    CO278952CO278952 Orlando, FL Posts: 1,231
    The song from Saturday is the exact same as the song from last night. There is zero difference. If anything it’s bitrate thing. 
    agree
    4.17.94 Paramount 9.28.96 Randall's Island 8.25.00 Jones Beach 4.28.03 Spectrum 7.5.03 Camden 7.6.03 Camden
    07.08.03 MSG 07.09.03 MSG 7.12.03 Hershey 7.14.03 Holmdel 6.12.08 Tampa 10.19.13 Brooklyn 4.11.16 Tampa
    5.1.16 MSG 5.2.16 MSG 8.7.16 Fenway 9.2.18 Fenway 9.4.18 Fenway 9.11.22 MSG 9.16.22 Nashville 9.18.23 Austin 9.19.23 Austin
  • Options
    bigbiggzybigbiggzy Posts: 713
    Shyner said:
    Producers suck
    well, actually, it's not like that at all.

producers are like project managers. but some producers go so far as to consider themselves part of the band. I've heard BoB say "we" and "our album" way too many times over the years. Bugs me. 
    The band has made comments before stating that he’s essentially the 6th member (7th if you count Boom) of the band. Said as much at PJ20 if I’m recalling correctly. 

I dig BO’B, but certainly appreciate the records where the used a diff prod. Vary it up a bit.