R.I.P. Stephen Hawking

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Saw this a little bit ago. He was a brilliant person and did not let his disability inhibit him.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,694
    Ah man this is bad.  I worked at his sisters house locally. She is a genius also. How he carried on so long is a mystery. The best brain our country has ever had. Cruel disease of the highest degree
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    I'm amazed by how long Hawking lived with ALS-  mind boggling- not to mention the kind of concepts he worked with.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• kce8kce8 Posts: 1,636
    Really sad news this morning. 
    I think his strong will has led him through this disease for so long.
    The power of a really strong character.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    A good day to listen to some Unified Theory.
    RIP Mr Hawking!

His book was huge, along with Carl Sagan he inspired the general public to care a little more about physics, and that's a beautiful thing.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    Amazing what he did on the face of such adversity. Massive respect for his impact and influence, though I gather he’s not as revered within his field. 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Wow, just last night I was discussing Mr Hawking with the 13 year old and some of his thoughts on the beginning of the universe, as well as Einstein's theory of relativity.  It was one of those conversations I could really only have on a surface level, not being a physicist or as well read on the subject as one interested in physics. 
    Making some of the concepts of higher/deeper thought and understanding more accessible to non-scientists was a great thing Mr Hawking did for the world.
    RIP
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    Also, Pi Day and Einsteins Bday, which is kinda neat.
  • DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    DewieCox said:
    The universe talking
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    RIP indeed.
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    DewieCox said:
    The universe talking
    Yup.

I just heard he lived 54 years with ALS?  Jesus.
  • WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    hedonist said:
    DewieCox said:
    The universe talking
    Yup.

I just heard he lived 54 years with ALS?  Jesus.
    What a life he lived too. RIP
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    RIP
  • LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,069
    RIP Stephen
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    edited March 2018
    “Keeping an active mind has been vital to my survival, as has been maintaining a sense of humor.”

“However difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”

Stephen Hawking 

He was a very interesting human being, thank you for all you’ve given to the world.
    RIP Stephen
    Post edited by Annafalk on
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    DewieCox said:
    Amazing what he did on the face of such adversity. Massive respect for his impact and influence, though I gather he’s not as revered within his field. 
    he's not?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited March 2018
    DewieCox said:
    he's not?
    I've heard that also.  Not sure it's true or not though. In any case, he tenacity will never be denied.  I can't imagine going as long as he did with ALS.  Pretty amazing.
    Post edited by brianlux on

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    I'm really sad about this.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    brianlux said:
    DewieCox said:
    he's not?
    I've heard that also.  Not sure it's true or not though. In any case, he tenacity will never be denied.  I can't imagine going as long as he did with ALS.  Pretty amazing.
    this shocks me. he is, what I thought, universally considered one of the most intelligent men in our lifetime, our Einstein. how is he not revered within his field?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited March 2018
    brianlux said:
    DewieCox said:
    he's not?
    this shocks me. he is, what I thought, universally considered one of the most intelligent men in our lifetime, our Einstein. how is he not revered within his field?
    I feel like it's just about attitude, not his actual work or knowledge or genius. I've always have the impression that some of his peers kind of resented him for being such a public, well-known figure in the field who tended to simplify things for the sake of the general public's understanding.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    DewieCox said:
    he's not?
    I feel like it's just about attitude, not his actual work or knowledge or genius. I've always have the impression that some of his peers kind of resented him for being such a public, well-known figure in the field who tended to simplify things for the sake of the general public's understanding.
    I was wondering if that's what it was. they all were jealous he was on the Simpsons. LOL
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    DewieCox said:
    he's not?
    I was wondering if that's what it was. they all were jealous he was on the Simpsons. LOL
    Lol, yeah, I think so! Basically, it's scientific snobbery at work, lol, along with envy. They should all be thanking him though. Few are able to bring such topics into the public eye and inspire interest amongst the normals like Hawking did.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,847
    First Craig Mac now Steven Hawking.  That's horrible.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244
    Brilliant man.  Sad indeed.
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,694
    He went to st.Albans boys school. I live in st.Albans . So he is very popular here
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • RogueStonerRogueStoner Sunny AZ Posts: 1,716
    How sad but inspiring...what a beautiful and determined mind can do and how long it can will an ailing body to live. R.I.P.
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    A Great Human Being!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    DewieCox said:
    he's not?
    " He is, as most of us know, the greatest physicist since Einstein.

Except that he isn’t. “Rubbish,” Hawking himself responded, when I posed this proposition to him during a 1993 interview. “It’s mere media hype.” It’s undeniable that Hawking has made key contributions to both relativity and quantum physics. He came up with the insight that the Big Bang emerged from a singularity, a point so small and dense that the very laws of physics can’t describe it. He figured out what happened when black hole merge. He also came up with the startling and counter-intuitive notion that black holes can evaporate, slowly at first, then faster and faster until they explode—an idea that was at first ridiculed, but which is now mainstream. “This result,” says Bernard Carr, one of Hawking’s former PhD students, “unified relativity and quantum theory and thermodynamics.”

That would be positively mind-blowing—if true. But it’s really not: the so-called “Hawking radiation” that should emerge from black holes draws on those disparate areas of physics, but “unify” means something else entirely. Unifying relativity and quantum physics is something Einstein tried to do for the last two decades of his life, and failed. The best bet for unification these days is string theory—assuming it turns out to be correct, which we may never know."

http://time.com/3531/hawking-myth-or-legend/

brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    DewieCox said:
    he's not?

Except that he isn’t. “Rubbish,” Hawking himself responded, when I posed this proposition to him during a 1993 interview. “It’s mere media hype.” It’s undeniable that Hawking has made key contributions to both relativity and quantum physics. He came up with the insight that the Big Bang emerged from a singularity, a point so small and dense that the very laws of physics can’t describe it. He figured out what happened when black hole merge. He also came up with the startling and counter-intuitive notion that black holes can evaporate, slowly at first, then faster and faster until they explode—an idea that was at first ridiculed, but which is now mainstream. “This result,” says Bernard Carr, one of Hawking’s former PhD students, “unified relativity and quantum theory and thermodynamics.”

That would be positively mind-blowing—if true. But it’s really not: the so-called “Hawking radiation” that should emerge from black holes draws on those disparate areas of physics, but “unify” means something else entirely. Unifying relativity and quantum physics is something Einstein tried to do for the last two decades of his life, and failed. The best bet for unification these days is string theory—assuming it turns out to be correct, which we may never know."

I never thought of him as comparable to Einstein. Somehow I'm just seeing that comparison for the first time in this thread. I guess I was under a rock for that one, lol. He is just Stephen Hawking. No need to compare him to someone else.
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    DewieCox said:
    he's not?

I never thought of him as comparable to Einstein. Somehow I'm just seeing that comparison for the first time in this thread. I guess I was under a rock for that one, lol. He is just Stephen Hawking. No need to compare him to someone else.
    I agree.  Just let him be who he was, nothing more, nothing less.  There was a lot of hype about Hawking and even he himself (as evidenced by the quote) understood that.  Modern society loves to hyperbolize (if there is such a word) popular figures.