I'm high on marijuana RIGHT NOW!!

Comments

• Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    PJ_Soul said:

Coffee & cookie to start my day feeling nice buzz made them last night ..
    That’s something I would like to get into is edibles...I’m a lousy cook...and extacting the oil needed can be time consuming. Some thing edibles will be sold at retail pot shops in Canada about a year after so-called legalization happens...
    Yeah, they say summer 2019 for edibles.

I've experiemented a bit with edibles... it's a fucking pain in the ass. Not worth the time and effort IMO, especially since it takes way too much product to make anything really worth your while at home. I had to spend nearly $100 at the dispensary to get enough cooking product for one pan of brownies that would get me adequately high. I ditched that little hobby pretty quickly, lol. I'm just going to hold out for when it's on the market legally.
    IMO edibles should not be legal to sell in dispensaries. Any dope smoker knows You can smoke 10 bongs and pretty much be cool, you can take 10 rips from a vape pen and be cool..bite off a little more than you can chew from a brownie and BOOM your basically tripping. What do you guys think?
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:

That’s something I would like to get into is edibles...I’m a lousy cook...and extacting the oil needed can be time consuming. Some thing edibles will be sold at retail pot shops in Canada about a year after so-called legalization happens...

I've experiemented a bit with edibles... it's a fucking pain in the ass. Not worth the time and effort IMO, especially since it takes way too much product to make anything really worth your while at home. I had to spend nearly $100 at the dispensary to get enough cooking product for one pan of brownies that would get me adequately high. I ditched that little hobby pretty quickly, lol. I'm just going to hold out for when it's on the market legally.
    Yeah it's not worth it to buy flower for edibles, it's usually the trim that people use anyways.  I used to take people's trim off their hands and make cannabutter for them, keep half and everybody was better off.  
    The product I used actually was infused coconut butter along with AAA weed. That's why it cost so much. It still didn't produce anything that was really worth my time and money, and I did it right - it's not like I cooked it at too high a temperature or anything. I did my research. I definitely think it's best to leave the edibles to the experts!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    edited March 2018
    Wma31394 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

IMO edibles should not be legal to sell in dispensaries. Any dope smoker knows You can smoke 10 bongs and pretty much be cool, you can take 10 rips from a vape pen and be cool..bite off a little more than you can chew from a brownie and BOOM your basically tripping. What do you guys think?
    Maybe, but that isn't restricted to edibles at all. Some of the concentrates that you smoke can FUCK YOU UP. It happened to me a few years ago. I literally did ONE dab of budder at the 4/20 market, and I was more fucked up than I've ever been in my life. More intense than a bad acid trip. It was awful. For edibles, I think it's a good idea to sell them commercially, because then at least the doses are labelled properly. That isn't the case now with elicit products. And if there aren't legal products to buy, people will keep turning to the unregulated stuff, which is where it is much more problematic. Remember, prohibition doesn't work in any case!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    PJ_Soul said:
    Wma31394 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Maybe, but that isn't restricted to edibles at all. Some of the concentrates that you smoke can FUCK YOU UP. It happened to me a few years ago. I literally did ONE dab of budder at the 4/20 market, and I was more fucked up than I've ever been in my life. More intense than a bad acid trip. It was awful. For edibles, I think it's a good idea to sell them commercially, because then at least the doses are labelled properly. That isn't the case now with elicit products. And if there aren't legal products to buy, people will keep turning to the unregulated stuff, which is where it is much more problematic. Remember, prohibition doesn't work in any case!
    Agreed. Here the labeling is very clear on dosage with edibles. When you are eating a brownie a friend made you have no idea if you should eat a quarter of it, or have 3 brownies. With edibles from legal shops here, you know you're getting a 10mg dose whether you're eating a cookie, drinking a soda, sucking a hard candy or eating a piece of chocolate. So if you're a beginner, start with 1, wait for a while, and go from there. If you're experienced, you know what your dosage should be and can take exactly as much/little as you want.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244
    Wma31394 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I have no problem with edibles or their sale.  The problem is that the packages are so poorly labeled.  They really need to tell you exactly what a dose is, how much is in each dose, and instructions for use....aka...WAIT an hour or two before taking any more.  I also think the dispensaries should explain things better to people purchasing them.  If I owned a dispensary, I'd make pamphlets or something to include with each edible purchase that explained things....especially for those people new to it.
  • RogueStonerRogueStoner Sunny AZ Posts: 1,716
    edited March 2018
    Post edited by RogueStoner on
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    mca47 said:
    Wma31394 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I have no problem with edibles or their sale.  The problem is that the packages are so poorly labeled.  They really need to tell you exactly what a dose is, how much is in each dose, and instructions for use....aka...WAIT an hour or two before taking any more.  I also think the dispensaries should explain things better to people purchasing them.  If I owned a dispensary, I'd make pamphlets or something to include with each edible purchase that explained things....especially for those people new to it.
    It might depend on the dispensary - at mine, edibles, drinks, etc. clearly outline dosage, and the staff has never failed me in answering questions or providing suggestions.  I do prefer the immediacy of a bowl or pen, though.
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    I've both bought and made edibles. The retail ones are clearly labeled as stated. It doesn't take much research to know what a proper dose is. If you know the quality of the weed you use to make your own it's not hard to judge the dosage. I agree making your own is not cost effective unless you're using homegrown.
    #FHP
    mca47 said:
    Wma31394 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I would have thought that if it's legal there would be very specific regulations for labelling... I'm pretty sure that when they become legal here, they will indeed have to say what the dose is, etc.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    brianlux said:
    "Lemon Cupcake",- coolest name for a flower bud I've seen yet!  :-D
    How’s legalization going in California?
    It varies a lot by county.  Quite well down the hill in Sacramento County, quite poorly in my county of El Dorado- a county named after the root word gold (as in Acapulco Gold? LOL).
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

PJ_Soul said:
    mca47 said:
    Wma31394 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I would have thought that if it's legal there would be very specific regulations for labelling... I'm pretty sure that when they become legal here, they will indeed have to say what the dose is, etc.
    What I've found in Sacramento, the labeling is quite good, in some cases excellent.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    It varies a lot by county.  Quite well down the hill in Sacramento County, quite poorly in my county of El Dorado- a county named after the root word gold (as in Acapulco Gold? LOL).
    What does "poorly" constitute Brian?
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    I think he means it's a dry county. In OR each city has to choice to allow shops.
    #FHP
    PJ_Soul said:
    Wma31394 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Haha yea dabs different ballgame from what I've heard..never done it. I understand what you all are saying with the labeling of edibles I just picture kids (early 20s or whatver) getting all jacked on eds and yea basically tripping..for me, a smoker of 20 something years, traditional leaf or flower and oil is good enough...for the experienced, edible consumption could be the way to roll..all preference I guess but to me it's impossible to get that fucked up off leaf or oils..
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Edibles do have some serious potential.  I would be ok with different rules for their sale.
    Stuff like limiting to established buyers (registered members?) only, setting restrictions on dosage and packaging, etc doesn't bother me.
    Packaging should not be artistic at all, edibles should be packaged in opaque white plastic with all information clearly printed on the front.  No bright colours or cartoons, nothing like that.  
    At those concentrations, marijuana is a potent drug which absolutely has the potential to put people into a seriously bad trip.
    I've seen people who panicked, one because she "couldn't swallow", she just sat drooling into a bucket and crying, I had a guy who parked his car in the drive through of McDonalds and walked inside to get a McFlurry, I've seen people just pass out and refuse to get up for a few hours, and I watched my brother eat a banana without peeling it and he didn't even notice lol
    Yeah, I stopped making edibles and stopped hosting parties.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited March 2018
    Due to my son's severe asthma and sensitivity to third-hand smoke, edibles are my only option -- that is, unless I'm going out for the night and can toss my clothes in the wash and take a shower before I see him in the morning.

A dear friend sent me some edibles a while back, which I had never tried before -- not even a friend's homemade brownies at a party. And since I'm very careful about this type of thing (even something like ibuprofen) and had no clue what the mg of THC on the label meant at all, I simply asked my friend, "Should I eat the whole muffin?" To which my friend replied, "Oh, no! Just take a bite of that muffin. Give it a couple of hours and see how you feel. If you think you could use more, have another bite. Otherwise, hold steady." The muffin was a special case as far as labeling goes; all other edibles I've seen have warnings for newbies to start small, wait two hours, and increase if necessary/desired -- just as my friend instructed. And those labels are no longer necessary for me. I now know an exact perfect dose and can slice a cookie, brownie, muffin, candy bar, etc. accordingly.

Anyway, I asked a friend because I prefer hearing from someone I know and trust, but I'm certain there are all sorts of guidelines online as well. It's really not rocket science. I'd say that the fault lies in the users who just want to get fucked up and don't read the label or take it seriously.

And trips build character, goddamn it! That being said, I've never tripped on THC, and I didn't even know that such a thing were possible. I imagine that if I ingested enough to trip on, I'd be asleep within the hour for a good 12 hours as opposed to up for 12 hours, building small cities on my living room floor out of the contents from my refrigerator and kitchen cupboards as might be the case on LSD.
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Horos said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    I think he means it's a dry county. In OR each city has to choice to allow shops.
    Pretty much this.  You can buy if you have a medical marijuana card but even then, the few dispensaries in the county have had a tough go of it, especially this one:

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article16836542.html

edited March 2018
    Wma31394 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Wma31394 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Haha yea dabs different ballgame from what I've heard..never done it. I understand what you all are saying with the labeling of edibles I just picture kids (early 20s or whatver) getting all jacked on eds and yea basically tripping..for me, a smoker of 20 something years, traditional leaf or flower and oil is good enough...for the experienced, edible consumption could be the way to roll..all preference I guess but to me it's impossible to get that fucked up off leaf or oils..
    Well the great thing is that even if stupid people eat too many edibles and ignore the dosing instructions, they still won't die from it. That can't be said of most other legal drugs or medications or alcohol.
    hedonist said:
    mca47 said:
    Wma31394 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

It might depend on the dispensary - at mine, edibles, drinks, etc. clearly outline dosage, and the staff has never failed me in answering questions or providing suggestions.  I do prefer the immediacy of a bowl or pen, though.
    I know when I went to CO right after it became legal, I'd see a packaged brownie or cookie or chocolate bar and the label would read "100mg" or "250mg".  I've been around the block to know what my limits are, but for the newbie...that doesn't mean much unless the guy at the dispensary told them what a 10mg piece from that cookie looked like.  It def seems better now.  I have various candies and the label describes how much is in each candy.  I've been to good and some shady dispensaries.  Some staff were awesome and would talk about the product and how much you should take...and others were like "I'll take one of those", i'd pay and he'd throw it in a bag.  All of us here know what we can and shouldn't do, but I do hear stories of folks who come from out of state, nothing is told to them and they don't know what the heck 10mg means vs anything else.  I have a coworker who hadn't done anything pot related since she was a teenager.  Went to CO for vacation and was told "just take a bite and you're good".  Turns out the chocolate (think Hershey bar) was like 300mg.  Her bite ended up probably being 50 or so mg.  She didn't know what her dose should have been and did not have a good time.  Better communication and better labels would make it more enjoyable and erase whatever stigma there is about edibles IMO.
    I don't mind an edible from time to time, but I def prefer the smoke or vape any day.  I don't like the waiting game and I definitely like the control of smoke/vape. 
    Edibles should always portioned, or at least scored into portions. 
    Take a bite is not good enough.
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    mca47 said:
    hedonist said:
    mca47 said:
    Wma31394 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I know when I went to CO right after it became legal, I'd see a packaged brownie or cookie or chocolate bar and the label would read "100mg" or "250mg".  I've been around the block to know what my limits are, but for the newbie...that doesn't mean much unless the guy at the dispensary told them what a 10mg piece from that cookie looked like.  It def seems better now.  I have various candies and the label describes how much is in each candy.  I've been to good and some shady dispensaries.  Some staff were awesome and would talk about the product and how much you should take...and others were like "I'll take one of those", i'd pay and he'd throw it in a bag.  All of us here know what we can and shouldn't do, but I do hear stories of folks who come from out of state, nothing is told to them and they don't know what the heck 10mg means vs anything else.  I have a coworker who hadn't done anything pot related since she was a teenager.  Went to CO for vacation and was told "just take a bite and you're good".  Turns out the chocolate (think Hershey bar) was like 300mg.  Her bite ended up probably being 50 or so mg.  She didn't know what her dose should have been and did not have a good time.  Better communication and better labels would make it more enjoyable and erase whatever stigma there is about edibles IMO.
    I don't mind an edible from time to time, but I def prefer the smoke or vape any day.  I don't like the waiting game and I definitely like the control of smoke/vape. 
    In Washington state we have it codified into law. A "serving" = 10mg. Here's our law on Marijuana servings and transaction limitations.
    This makes it pretty easy and safe for even a newbie to start enjoying edibles without freaking themselves out.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    mca47 said:
    hedonist said:
    mca47 said:
    Wma31394 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Excellent post!

Jeff, I love that the portions are clearly outlined, but some just don't bother to do their research.

BE LIKE DK!
    =)

(I actually did have some kind of bad trip right around the time I first tried edibles; overdid it out of ignorance and likely enthusiasm as well.  After using them for a bit after, I've found they're just not for me, though I do get it works really well for others.  Kinda like life, eh?)
    hedonist said:
    mca47 said:
    hedonist said:
    mca47 said:
    Wma31394 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Excellent post!

Jeff, I love that the portions are clearly outlined, but some just don't bother to do their research.

BE LIKE DK!
    =)

(I actually did have some kind of bad trip right around the time I first tried edibles; overdid it out of ignorance and likely enthusiasm as well.  After using them for a bit after, I've found they're just not for me, though I do get it works really well for others.  Kinda like life, eh?)
    The first time I had pot brownies I had an incredibly good time.  The high was euphoric and psychedelic.  The plains tan wall of the living room of my friends house where I was became covered in purple Mickey Mouse wall paper.  It was so much fun!  Amazing!

So some years later I was remembering that night and decided to make my own brownies.  I ate one square and waited an hour.  Nothing. So I ate another square and a few minutes later the first one hit me like a ton of bricks.  An hour later the second brownie kicked in and things got nasty very quickly.  I started heaving big time and I had tremendous dizziness and massive anxiety.  I began to seriously doubt the idea that a person could not overdose and die from marijuana.  I was very afraid I might die.  Of course, I didn't but I haven't touched edibles since then (19 years ago). 

I've had a couple of bad experiences with edibles.  Because of that, i'm very cautious with them and rarely even exceed 10mg....and probably won't even eat something that someone made...AKA...isn't specifically labeled.  
    I know a guy who infuses sauces (hot/wing sauce, BBQ, etc) as well as a syrup you can add to club soda.  I get stuff from him from time to time.  A bottle will have 500mg so there is a little math involved to get to that 10mg dose.  haha
    I'm not a big fan of edibles. They're fine and can be fun, but I prefer just smoking it. I like the high better. I'm not really into that body stone that edibles create..... I'm not generally one to turn down any drugs though. :lol: Not until you get into the really hard core shit, anyway. I mean, I'm not going to say yes to heroin or crack or meth, lol.
    I'll try anything twice!
    :rock_on:
    Many good points on edibles peeps..Yea I'm old school and prefer the "reefer" over everything although I have been getting these very solid oil tanks the past month or so..Gas tanks theyre called..my guy sends me a menu of options every week. Before these I wasn't too high on the tanks as it was never enough or just took too much to get baked or just a different high..regardless happy Friday stoners!!
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    I was playing a little Breath of the Wild over the weekend and after having this game for over a year it just hit me. A few of the plants in this game sound like names of weed strains:

Hyrule Herb
    Electric Safflina
    Blue Nightshade
    Silent Princess
    Swift Violet
    Hydromelon

I was playing a little Breath of the Wild over the weekend and after having this game for over a year it just hit me. A few of the plants in this game sound like names of weed strains:

Hyrule Herb
    Electric Safflina
    Blue Nightshade
    Silent Princess
    Swift Violet
    Hydromelon

They knew what they were doing...

Ha