Options

Alter Bridge

thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
edited June 2011 in Other Music
Anyone else really into this group? I got their latest album AB III I little while ago and I have been getting really into it lately. So now I am slowly getting into their older albums. Myles is great and has amazing vocals! :mrgreen:
Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Anyone?
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

• Options
    sandgropersandgroper Posts: 172
    Aren't they just Creed with a different singer?
  • Options
    sandgroper wrote:

Yeah but that's the point, with a new singer (Who is amazing!) they actually kick ass! :mrgreen:
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

• Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    sandgroper wrote:
    Alter Bridge is alot heavier musically though.

Blackbird is a great song, totally showcases Myle's voice.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,996
    red mos wrote:
    sandgroper wrote:

exactly - much better than Creed. Great live band
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    I dunno...I listened to them and still got a pretty big ear whiff of Creed. They seem to have added some guitar exercises over the top, but the music is still pretty well the same. The songs are every bit as generic as before. The new singer, while infinitely better than Scott Stapp, only adds to the cheesiness.
  • Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Love me some Alter Bridge. I only really heard anything Creed like on their first record.

Oh, and Myles Kennedy is a hell of a singer, if people haven't heard his last band Mayfield Four they should definitely check them out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymMs0bD9w0k the vocals at the end of the song are absolutely jaw-dropping, very Jeff Buckley-esque.
  • Options
    red mos wrote:
    sandgroper wrote:

I always know I have Kyle!! :mrgreen:
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

• Options
    The only similarity to creed is that some of the guys play(ed) in that band too. Entirely different otherwise and 10x better band. Myles Kennedy farts more musical ability than scott stapp will ever have in his life.

Obviously i love AB. ABIII is a fantastic record with incredible lyrics. My only complaint is they dont play enough of the new tunes live or mix the setlist up.
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

"Constant recoil,..sometimes life don't leave you alone."
    Let's connect on twitter - @Jeffgorra
  • Options
    The only similarity to creed is that some of the guys play(ed) in that band too. Entirely different otherwise and 10x better band. Myles Kennedy farts more musical ability than scott stapp will ever have in his life.

Obviously i love AB. ABIII is a fantastic record with incredible lyrics. My only complaint is they dont play enough of the new tunes live or mix the setlist up.

I totally agree with you! The new album is fantastic and the lyrics and the music is great! I really love "Make it Right" "I know it Hurts" and "Ghost of Days Gone By"
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

• Options
    Aren't they the same aside from the singers?

I haven't listened to their latest, but the other 2 are pretty Creed-like. I'm not trashing that aspect. Whatya expect? I just don't get why people say they sound that much different. Sounds like the same gear with the same settings with the same people playin to me.
  • Options
    UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    Watched one of their shows on Palladia.....won't be doing that again any time soon. :lol:
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:

I haven't listened to their latest, but the other 2 are pretty Creed-like. I'm not trashing that aspect. Whatya expect? I just don't get why people say they sound that much different. Sounds like the same gear with the same settings with the same people playin to me.

This sounds like Creed to you? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L7bbitB3eY
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:

This sounds like Creed to you? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L7bbitB3eY

Not as much as some of the stuff I've heard, but they're still playing pretty well the same style as before with a little more heft to it. There's more lead guitar and riffage which is often a good thing. Maybe some different arrangements would really set them apart, but they still seem to do the same mellow arpeggio>heavy chorus x2> mellow break>solo>outro chorus on the stuff I've listened to.
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    Not as much as some of the stuff I've heard, but they're still playing pretty well the same style as before with a little more heft to it. There's more lead guitar and riffage which is often a good thing. Maybe some different arrangements would really set them apart, but they still seem to do the same mellow arpeggio>heavy chorus x2> mellow break>solo>outro chorus on the stuff I've listened to.

Whilst I see where you're coming from, it kind of reminds me of that bit in the Foo Fighters documentary where Dave Grohl talks about people criticising the Foos music for sounding too much like Nirvana and he says something like "what loud guitars and big drums? What were you expecting? A reggae record?!".

To me, the musical side of Creed never really bothered me. Sure it lacked originality, but it was inoffensive. Now the vocals on the other hand........... For what it's worth, I think the Creed guys who play in Alter Bridge, have certainly upped their game in AB. But for me the main draw is Myles Kennedy. In some ways I don't think AB's music really does him justice, sure he's good at singing hard rock, but I love the ballad type stuff he's done in the past, it really gives him a chance to show off his voice.

Here's a great acoustic song from his old mid-90's band Citizen Swing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivJRtGXwR8c He's got that kind of voice I will follow pretty much anywhere, even if the music isn't always completely to my liking.
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:

Whilst I see where you're coming from, it kind of reminds me of that bit in the Foo Fighters documentary where Dave Grohl talks about people criticising the Foos music for sounding too much like Nirvana and he says something like "what loud guitars and big drums? What were you expecting? A reggae record?!".

To me, the musical side of Creed never really bothered me. Sure it lacked originality, but it was inoffensive. Now the vocals on the other hand........... For what it's worth, I think the Creed guys who play in Alter Bridge, have certainly upped their game in AB. But for me the main draw is Myles Kennedy. In some ways I don't think AB's music really does him justice, sure he's good at singing hard rock, but I love the ballad type stuff he's done in the past, it really gives him a chance to show off his voice.

Here's a great acoustic song from his old mid-90's band Citizen Swing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivJRtGXwR8c He's got that kind of voice I will follow pretty much anywhere, even if the music isn't always completely to my liking.

I don't expect it to sound much different and I don't really fault them for not completely overhauling their sound. To me, Creed's music was almost as cheesy as the vocals. I don't think MK really helps matters. He just has a very present voice and with his range it's easy to let it get away and sound kinda over the top.

I can totally see what you're saying about Kennedy, and I could totally see digging him in the right setting. I've heard he kicked ass on Slash's solo tour. Hopefully the album they're recording has some good stuff.
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    He just has a very present voice and with his range it's easy to let it get away and sound kinda over the top.

I can totally see what you're saying about Kennedy, and I could totally see digging him in the right setting. I've heard he kicked ass on Slash's solo tour. Hopefully the album they're recording has some good stuff.

I dunno, to me he's no more OTT than say Chris Cornell , but to each their own I guess.

Oh, and he does indeed kick ass playing with Slash :D
  • Options
    I wan't expecting all the arguing but I'm glad they are sparking interests! I think the music sounds a little like Creed but I think they are still totally different from Creed! 8-)
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

• Options
    joely_91joely_91 Posts: 795
    I've been a huge fan since 2004... and I must admit I've never really listened to enough Creed to warrant any comparisons from their early stuff to their latest stuff bar a few sounding tunings and instrumental parts. My personal opinion people might take them a little more serious if Creed had never existed which kind of sucks.... Why does Scott Stapp have to douche' up everything. I think Myles voice at the moment needs a rest from the constant touring but if you listen to any of their early live videos he's in top notch condition. They are their own band though and I love them easily in my top 5 :D
  • Options
    Cal.PJ.CCal.PJ.C Posts: 180
    Bumping because AB are awesome