CAN'T DENY ME!!!

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Vedd Hedd said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    I had friends who stopped being pearl jam fans when "Who You Are" was released. 
    Ha, yeah, well, there's no accounting for taste obviously. But still.... objectively, what they're doing now isn't on the same level as what they were doing in the 90s or early 2000s. I mean, come on. 
    Late 90s, no. I agree there.

But I like Lightning Bolt better than Backspacer, Avocado and Riot Act.

lb is better than avocado and riot act????
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    17.CAN'T DENY ME /  DEDICATED TO FLORIDA STUDENTS
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,650
    I listened to this song for the first time in my car and I like it. It’s catchy, sounds good loud. 
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,392
    I think the events going on in our country these days make most of us angry. We need a song like this one.  I like it.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • moemoe6434moemoe6434 Posts: 455
    Vedd Hedd said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    Ha, yeah, well, there's no accounting for taste obviously. But still.... objectively, what they're doing now isn't on the same level as what they were doing in the 90s or early 2000s. I mean, come on. 

Certainly better than avocado and Backspacer, not Riot Act.  Avocado and backspacer are forgettable.
    "If she don't love me no more, i know her sister will" Jimi Hendrix
  • just_onejust_one Lisbon Posts: 1,905
    Vedd Hedd said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Vedd Hedd said:

Certainly better than avocado and Backspacer, not Riot Act.  Avocado and backspacer are forgettable.

Avocado is better than backspacer and Lightning Bolt.

Avocado is the last great PJ album. Backspacer has 3 maybe 4 good songs in it. Lightning Bolt is better than backspacer but not as good as Avocado.
  • just_one said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Vedd Hedd said:

Avocado is better than backspacer and Lightning Bolt.

Avocado is the last great PJ album. Backspacer has 3 maybe 4 good songs in it. Lightning Bolt is better than backspacer but not as good as Avocado.
    This 
  • Who I AmWho I Am Posts: 644
    Avocado is the last great PJ album.

Setting the bar low here, some good songs for sure. 
    02MAY2003 - State College, PA
    08JUL2003 - New York, NY (L@TG)
    14JUL2003 - Holmdel, NJ
    01OCT2004 - Reading, PA
    01OCT2005 - Atlantic City, NJ
    03OCT2005 - Philadelphia, PA
    27MAY2006 - Camden, NJ
    01JUN2006 - East Rutherford, NJ
    03JUN2006 - East Rutherford, NJ
    30SEP2009 - Universal City, CA
    09OCT2009 - San Diego, CA
    06JUL2011 - Long Beach, CA (EV)
    19JUL2013 - Wrigley Field, IL
    21OCT2013 - Philadelphia, PA
    22OCT2013 - Philadelphia, PA
    27OCT2013 - Baltimore, MD
    29APR2016 - Philadelphia, PA (TEN)
    05AUG2016 - Fenway Park, MA
    07AUG2016 - Fenway Park, MA
    27AUG2016 - Dana Point, CA (Ohana)
    18AUG2018 - Wrigley Field, IL
    20AUG2018 - Wrigley Field, IL
    18SEP2021 - Asbury Park, NJ
    14SEP2022 - Camden, NJ

• StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    As someone who's been critical of this song I will say it sounded great live. Just gotta tune out the "you may be rich" line which is the main negative of the song imo
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,594
    As someone who's been critical of this song I will say it sounded great live. Just gotta tune out the "you may be rich" line which is the main negative of the song imo
    And that's negative because.....????
  • ConorKavanaghConorKavanagh Ireland Posts: 1,148
    I guess it's just his personal preference. I laugh at a lot of the stuff on here because we're all so passionate about the band that we get a bit crazy.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
    If you have to ask, you'll never know. Also, do you know what imo stands for?
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,924
    Eddie is rich so he isn’t allowed to sing about other people being rich, mention money or anything like that.

I think people viewing this as Ed protesting or the song being about Trump are limiting not just the bands world view but also Ed’s ability to write songs from the point of view of others.
    Nature drunk and High
    There would be cooler, more artful ways to say it. Hey, check out my sick lyrics:

I am sad
    hate my dad
    i am mad
    im not glad
    ive been had

pretty sweet, huh?

edited March 2018
    Also notice I was complimenting the song, I just dont like one line. Gotta shut harmful opinions like this down around here I guess
    Hmmm, whats the beat like?
    Nature drunk and High
    People were saying it reminded them of Sleep Now In The Fire. I can see that. But you can trace that song back to something else. That's evolution.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
    Dude, your opinion isnt harmful we are all just chattin shit. No shutting anything down. I can see that there is hypocrisy in a wealthy person making a punk song with a line against rich people. Should Neil Young not have written Southern Man because he’s white? 
    Nature drunk and High
  • just_onejust_one Lisbon Posts: 1,905
    People were saying it reminded them of Sleep Now In The Fire. I can see that. But you can trace that song back to something else. That's evolution.

LOL people saying that must be drunk for sure...

Song sounds so weak live...first seconds are good but then it falls apart badly
    I'm interested to hear it live. However, I know that often songs take a while to get to a certain level in a live setting. It's a different ball game entirely. The only place I heard the similarity with Sleep Now In The Fire was in some of Eddie's pacing in one section. I can't remember the lyrics.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    There would be cooler, more artful ways to say it. Hey, check out my sick lyrics:

I am sad
    hate my dad
    i am mad
    im not glad
    ive been had

pretty sweet, huh?

Looks like the rhyming in Future Days.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    17.CAN'T DENY ME /  DEDICATED TO FLORIDA STUDENTS
    Love this band.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • narnianarnia Posts: 635
    Just watched the video of "Can't Deny Me" and I think this is going to turn out to be a really good song live. I can just imagine the audience yelling out the "You can't deny me" lines at the end of the song.
    I escaped it...a life wasted...I'm never going back again
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    Yeah it sounded great live.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    Whoa, just got my first full listen. There’s not much redeeming about this song. It’s a bunch of CNN taglines sang over a boring riff and then a desperate plea for audience singalong to close out the song. Bu$hleaguer was less hamfisted lyrically, for Pete’s sake.
  • jtr101jtr101 Posts: 258
    edited March 2018
    The band looks like they are asleep, except for Ed.

So can we all just talk about how awesome the fucking cow bell chair is!!!!!
    Post edited by jtr101 on
    Enjoy difference. Without it we're all boring!

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Also notice I was complimenting the song, I just dont like one line. Gotta shut harmful opinions like this down around here I guess
    all he did was ask a follow up question to a statement you made. 

Ed being rich "by accident" doesn't negate him from criticizing someone else who is rich by design/greed. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• jstu39jstu39 Posts: 140
    justam said:
    I think the events going on in our country these days make most of us angry. We need a song like this one.  I like it.
    Part of the challenge for me is they only write or comment about the events in our country if one party is in office. Is this a political rally or comment on society? If societal I'd like a more consistent message as weve had gun violence, wars, corruption...consistently over the last 15 years. 
  • darkness, darkness, darkness and light.......hey just like this forum!
    looking to hear of the earth