The Food Thread

Comments

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    rgambs said:
    Recreated my wife’s aunt’s chicken salad to put into my lunch salads this week. Her family’s cooking is suspect but this chicken salad is so fucking good. They use use it on crackers and stuff for appetizers at family gatherings. 

Godspeed. 

I add vinegar to my turkey/chicken salad.  Do you?  It gives it a killer flavor.
    Vinegar and sugar are the absolute must haves for any "salad" whether it goes in a bowl or on bread.

My mom makes the best macaroni salad you never had.  
    Always let it get cozy with the baked beans.
    I don't do the sugar in my chicken/turkey salads.  I know a bunch of people do.  

In a potato salad I will though!

It doesn't have to be enough to make it actually taste sweet, but you need enough to mellow the acidity a little.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,852
    edited March 2018
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    Recreated my wife’s aunt’s chicken salad to put into my lunch salads this week. Her family’s cooking is suspect but this chicken salad is so fucking good. They use use it on crackers and stuff for appetizers at family gatherings. 

Godspeed. 

I add vinegar to my turkey/chicken salad.  Do you?  It gives it a killer flavor.
    Vinegar and sugar are the absolute must haves for any "salad" whether it goes in a bowl or on bread.

It doesn't have to be enough to make it actually taste sweet, but you need enough to mellow the acidity a little.
    I learned the sugar and vinegar trick from a German deli I used to work at.  Their potato salad was always the best around and I saw them making it and I didn't comprehend why sugar would be in a salad?!?  That was one of their secrets.

Potatoes, mayo, vinegar, sugar.  That's it.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

Godspeed. 

I learned the sugar and vinegar trick from a German deli I used to work at.  Their potato salad was always the best around and I saw them making it and I didn't comprehend why sugar would be in a salad?!?  That was one of their secrets.

No small crunchy items?  I need celery and/or onions for my Pot Salad. 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

Godspeed. 

No small crunchy items?  I need celery and/or onions for my Pot Salad. 
    German style.  Once you eat it you'll see that it doesn't need any of that.

I'm actually ruined to eat potato salad anywhere but German style or from Long Island.
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    My dad made great German potato salad - with chopped pickles, I think.
    hedonist said:
    My dad made great German potato salad - with chopped pickles, I think.
    That's a different take on it!
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Pickles in Tuna Salad, I have had.
    ;)  (For real!)
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Pickles in Tuna Salad, I have had.
    ;)  (For real!)
    I put some chopped bread-and-butter pickles into my whitefish salads, but I haven't done so with tunafish.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    I will tear up some potato salad and macaroni salad.  I just can't do the meats.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141

Godspeed. 

Vinegar in addition to mayo, right?
    chinese-happy.jpg

Godspeed. 

Yes sir.  I should have mentioned that.

All I use is Turkey/Chicken, Mayo, Celery, Black pepper and white distilled vinegar.

The simplicity of the dish and it's soooooo damn tasty.  Now put it on a piece of toasted seeded rye? Hot damn.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141

Godspeed. 

All I use is Turkey/Chicken, Mayo, Celery, Black pepper and white distilled vinegar.

The simplicity of the dish and it's soooooo damn tasty.  Now put it on a piece of toasted seeded rye? Hot damn.

Gonna try that next time. Need onion in mine though. Thanks
    chinese-happy.jpg

Godspeed. 

Gonna try that next time. Need onion in mine though. Thanks
    Go easy with the vinegar.  For that bowl you made yours in you'd only need 2-3 Tablespoons.
  • hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
  • chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157

turned a chicken, colorful peppers & spices into fajitas

for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    chadwick said:

And it turned you into what exactly?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    sounds tasty i love fajitas!
  • kce8kce8 Posts: 1,636
    chadwick said:

I take the risk to sound a bit stupid, but what does it mean you "turned a chicken" Chadwick?
    Does it mean you have turned the chicken on a spit to roast it or picked it apart for the Fajitas?
    :blush: it's not my first language.. :innocent: 
    However, I really like Fajitas too... so now I hope we will go to the Mexican Restaurant at the weekend! :smiley:
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    kce8 said:
    chadwick said:

I take the risk to sound a bit stupid, but what does it mean you "turned a chicken" Chadwick?
    Does it mean you have turned the chicken on a spit to roast it or picked it apart for the Fajitas?
    However, I really like Fajitas too... so now I hope we will go to the Mexican Restaurant at the weekend! :smiley:
    Where are you from? Talk to us about your cuisine.
    kce8 said:
    chadwick said:

Just from Germany, you know Kartoffelsalat and sausages... ;)
    oh and Schnitzel! :lol:
    Interesting that you talked about German potato salad. There are so many different styles of it in Germany that I even don't know which one is the best one :giggle:
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    kce8 said:
    kce8 said:
    chadwick said:

Yum, been twice.  Enjoy the food a lot.  Have a fairly authentic spot in Philly.  I dig it.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Speck.
    Oh, speck.
    What I wouldn't give for some good speck from Sudtirol.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    chadwick said:

Good to see you, brother chadwick!

kce, growing up I loooooved Spaetzle.  That, along with German potato salad, was his other specialty :)
    *my dad's

Board glitches :anguished:
    kce8 said:
    kce8 said:
    chadwick said:

Yum, been twice.  Enjoy the food a lot.  Have a fairly authentic spot in Philly.  I dig it.

Have been in the States twice too. 1995 for the first time. That's when I ate my first Fajitas. And American Spare Rips... also the best and such a huge American Steak! 
    I'm happy that you like the German food. 
    rgambs said:
    Speck.
    Oh, speck.
    What I wouldn't give for some good speck from Sudtirol.

Suedtirol is wonderful and yes there's a lot of great food there. Italian influence... soo good

hedonist said:
    chadwick said:

Good to see you, brother chadwick!

kce, growing up I loooooved Spaetzle.  That, along with German potato salad, was his other specialty :)

Yummy Spaetzle Hedo, ok if I think about it, we really have some nice food here too! Food from other countries seems to be more interesting for me... maybe it's just because we are used to it... :lol:
    And we "Germans" sometimes just go crazy because people from all over the world think about Bavaria only most of the time and forget that this is just a small part of Germany. :smiley:
    Rouladen, yum.
  • H.ChinaskiH.Chinaski Brooklyn, NY Posts: 1,596
    Knocked out some pretty killer Salsa Verde Enchiladas for dinner tonight. Seered in a skillet tomatillos, onions, garlic, serranos and jalepenos. Cooked them down and immersion blended em down and let it simmer. Than added cilantro. Killer! Cooked up corn torts and filled them with beef, beans, corn and red pepper. Topped with the salsa and baked with some jack queso. Muy Bueno!
    Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/