Time change. Again.

Comments

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    It's a beautiful, sunny, warm day here. I'm sitting on my deck, looking out over the water, enjoying a glass of wine and the extra hour of daylight.

Just kidding ;)
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    brianlux said:
    Extra hour of sleep last night. Feeling refreshed!
    How did you do that?  I'm impressed!  I got one hour less sleep.

When I got up this morning my wife (who is always up before I am) said, "Somebody stole an hour from my iPhone last night."  :lol:
    What do you mean? I set my clocks back an hour like everyone else. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    brianlux said:
    Extra hour of sleep last night. Feeling refreshed!
    How did you do that?  I'm impressed!  I got one hour less sleep.

When I got up this morning my wife (who is always up before I am) said, "Somebody stole an hour from my iPhone last night."  :lol:
    What do you mean? I set my clocks back an hour like everyone else. 

Yes, that's exactly what we mean.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
      I hate springing forward.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    I hate that Verizon decided to move my phone clock forward an hour despite living in a state that doesn't recognize the time change. Causing me to think I was late for work and scrambling around the kitchen getting ready until I glanced at my microwave. 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    I hate that Verizon decided to move my phone clock forward an hour despite living in a state that doesn't recognize the time change. Causing me to think I was late for work and scrambling around the kitchen getting ready until I glanced at my microwave. 
    Isn't it Indiana where part of the state changes and part of it does not?
    #dumb
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Isn't it Indiana where part of the state changes and part of it does not?
    #dumb
    The part of Indiana in the eastern time zone used to not observe it, but the whole state does now.

Currently, only Arizona and Hawai'i do not observe DST, except for the Navajo Reservation in AZ, which does observe it.

Florida recently passed a bill which allows the state to observe DST year round, but it cannot take effect unless federal law is amended to allow it.
    edited March 2018
    I think it's dumb for some places in the same country to not do it while others do. Everyone just needs to stick to the same plan. I don't really care if we do it or not (the fact that I don't like the spring forward but love the fall back makes me basically neutral), but it's got to be all or nothing. These little pockets that seem to drop it just out of spite really complicate things.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    I think it's dumb for some places in the same country to not do it while others do. Everyone just needs to stick to the same plan. I don't really care if we do it or not, but it's got to be all or nothing. These little pockets that seem to drop it just out of spite really complicate things.
    The reason part of Indiana didn't is because it splits two time zones, so they opted out to keep the entire state on the same time.  A bunch of counties in the western part of the state were moved from central to eastern time zone a few years back and when that occurred, the whole state opted in.

Same with Florida. Since it spans two time zones, they can opt in or out.  Why they'd want to opt in year round is beyond me. It's location pretty much guarantees uniform sunrises and sunsets year round already.  Hawai'i opts out for that exact reason.

As for Arizona, I think they just don't want the sun to still be out and have it be 100 degrees at 10pm.
    PJ_Soul said:
      I hate springing forward.

You fall back in the Spring and spring forward in the Fall. It's easy to remember.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    PJ_Soul said:
    I think it's dumb for some places in the same country to not do it while others do. Everyone just needs to stick to the same plan. I don't really care if we do it or not, but it's got to be all or nothing. These little pockets that seem to drop it just out of spite really complicate things.
    The reason part of Indiana didn't is because it splits two time zones, so they opted out to keep the entire state on the same time.  A bunch of counties in the western part of the state were moved from central to eastern time zone a few years back and when that occurred, the whole state opted in.

Same with Florida. Since it spans two time zones, they can opt in or out.  Why they'd want to opt in year round is beyond me. It's location pretty much guarantees uniform sunrises and sunsets year round already.  Hawai'i opts out for that exact reason.

As for Arizona, I think they just don't want the sun to still be out and have it be 100 degrees at 10pm.
    Well to have one state with different time zones is super stupid too... it's like a chain reaction of dumb things, lol.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I can't recall a single time that the spring time change has had a negative effect on me.
    The thought of living my life by a schedule strict enough that deviating by a single hour causes distress is almost enough to make me sick lol
    The biggest negative effect the time change has on my life is the people I hear bitching about it hahaha.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    edited March 2018
    rgambs said:
    I can't recall a single time that the spring time change has had a negative effect on me.
    The thought of living my life by a schedule strict enough that deviating by a single hour causes distress is almost enough to make me sick lol
    The biggest negative effect the time change has on my life is the people I hear bitching about it hahaha.
    For me it's all about sleep. I've got chronic insomnia, so yeah, 1 hour difference really matters to people like me who have sleep disorders. :frowning: Otherwise, I can't see why it would bug anyone... but studies to indicate that it makes a difference. It is true that car accidents increase noticeably on the Monday following the time change. Interestingly, this is true in both spring and fall.
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    For me it's all about sleep. I've got chronic insomnia, so yeah, 1 hour difference really matters to people like me who have sleep disorders. :frowning: Otherwise, I can't see why it would bug anyone... but studies to indicate that it makes a difference. It is true that car accidents increase noticeably on the Monday following the time change. Interestingly, this is true in both spring and fall.
    Does the clock really have that much impact on your insomnia?
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    rgambs said:
    As you know when you have small kids that don't sleep it certainly makes zero difference what time it is when it comes to looking at sleep patterns.
    rgambs said:
    As you know when you have small kids that don't sleep it certainly makes zero difference what time it is when it comes to looking at sleep patterns.
    I'm not sure if this is sarcasm or not lol
    My son is a terrible sleeper who's transitioning very slowly out of his daily nap.  
    edited March 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Well to have one state with different time zones is super stupid too... it's like a chain reaction of dumb things, lol.
    No argument there. I mean, I could see if a state stretched from like the MIssissippi River to the Pacific splitting it into different time zones. But theres no reason to split Indiana into two zones. It's only 140 miles wide.
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    What i mean is that I had always heard that it was best for insomniacs not to pay much attention to clocks and bedtimes, but maybe that was bad info all along.
    I'm a terrible sleeper, all sorts of issues, but I figured out how to beat them...work very hard on 5 hours of sleep and repeat forever lol
    I used to be up to 3 or 4 trying to get to sleep, it turns out I just wasn't tired lol 
    Now I get up and go to the gym at 4am and work out for a few hours before the world gets moving and come 10:30-11 I have no trouble getting right to sleep.
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    My son is a terrible sleeper who's transitioning very slowly out of his daily nap.  
    I just recall you sharing that you also have a 3 year old who....lives with a sleep schedule uniquely his own. 
    (This was is response to me bitching about our 3 year old waking us up most nights & mornings.)
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    I just recall you sharing that you also have a 3 year old who....lives with a sleep schedule uniquely his own. 
    (This was is response to me bitching about our 3 year old waking us up most nights & mornings.)
    Yeah he's a pain in the ass lol
    A big part of it though is my fault, I don't do the whole "bedtime routine" on a schedule thing.  I don't agree with some commonly held beliefs, like that kids need schedule and structure and discipline and all that.  I think it's parents who need that stuff, and my weirdo conspiracy theorist side thinks that those things originate in a system that was designed to create a population of factory workers that punch clocks, keep their heads down, and keep in line.
    It's not a total hippy nightmare situation at my house lol but it's closer to that than the military style regimen that I see some people keeping.
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    It's not that it makes the insomnia itself worse. It's that a person with insomnia is already on the brink of insanity because they can't fall asleep in a timely manner and therefore cannot get anywhere near enough sleep. With the spring forward, that just makes it that much more impossible to fall asleep early enough to get a human amount of sleep before having to wake up for work (or just for your own broken inner clock) ... When I'm only getting 3 - 5 hours of sleep a night because I can't fall asleep before 2 or 3am, uh, yeah, turning the clock ahead an hour has a horrible impact. It means I'm likely to only get 2 - 4 hours of sleep now, and for the next few days at least until I can adjust ... And when you're in that cycle you're already stretched as far as you can be, so 1 hour is massive.
    edited March 2018
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    What i mean is that I had always heard that it was best for insomniacs not to pay much attention to clocks and bedtimes, but maybe that was bad info all along.
    I'm a terrible sleeper, all sorts of issues, but I figured out how to beat them...work very hard on 5 hours of sleep and repeat forever lol
    I used to be up to 3 or 4 trying to get to sleep, it turns out I just wasn't tired lol 
    Now I get up and go to the gym at 4am and work out for a few hours before the world gets moving and come 10:30-11 I have no trouble getting right to sleep.
    I think that is bad info just because it's impossible for almost everyone. I would love to not pay much attention to clocks and bedtimes, but I work. If you have to set your alarm and go to work in the morning, but your natural rhythm won't adjust to those kinds of hours like mine won't, then there is no option but to try and fall asleep as early as possible so that you can try and rest before 6:30 am rolls around. If I could quit my job and just sleep when it worked for me, I'm sure my insomnia would be greatly helped, because then I could sleep from 4am to noon, which is what my body really wants to do (and nothing will change that. Not hormone therapy, not a schedule, not drugs, not breathing exercises, nothing... I guess that's why it's called a disorder, lol).
  • MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,483
    I lived in the part of indiana that didn't do daylight savings, but tv did, so every program was an hour off of when it used to be.
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    Yeah he's a pain in the ass lol
    A big part of it though is my fault, I don't do the whole "bedtime routine" on a schedule thing.  I don't agree with some commonly held beliefs, like that kids need schedule and structure and discipline and all that.  I think it's parents who need that stuff, and my weirdo conspiracy theorist side thinks that those things originate in a system that was designed to create a population of factory workers that punch clocks, keep their heads down, and keep in line.
    It's not a total hippy nightmare situation at my house lol but it's closer to that than the military style regimen that I see some people keeping.
    I think it's just for the schedule that all kids have to keep in order to attend school....
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,847
    Changing the clocks is just non-sense anymore.
    Truth!

It's so dumb now.  Please make it stop!!!
    Don’t you want it to stay light out later in the Summer?
    I want it to be light out in December at 430 PM.  The way it is right now is fine.  No more "fall back".
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,847
    PJ_Soul said:

It was 90' at midnight so it doesn't matter there in AZ...
    Truth!

I want it to be light out in December at 430 PM.  The way it is right now is fine.  No more "fall back".
    Same here. Yes, it's nice when there is still light at 5:00 in the evening. But I have no interest it in being light out at fucking 8 or 9 or 10pm. I hate that. I am a night person, and I am always really happy when the long days get shorter again. Plus, longer days = hotter days for longer. And to me, anything over about 20C is my idea of a living hell. Uuuggghhhhhh, summer is coming. It's the most horrible time of the year.

PJ_Soul said:
    Truth!

Same here. Yes, it's nice when there is still light at 5:00 in the evening. But I have no interest it in being light out at fucking 8 or 9 or 10pm. I hate that. I am a night person, and I am always really happy when the long days get shorter again. Plus, longer days = hotter days for longer. And to me, anything over about 20C is my idea of a living hell. Uuuggghhhhhh, summer is coming. It's the most horrible time of the year.

9 or 10?

Sunset in middle of the summer is like 8:30pm...

chinese-happy.jpg
    On the flipside though, do you want it to be full daylight by 5-30am?  
    edited March 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    Truth!

9 or 10?

Sunset in middle of the summer is like 8:30pm...

I don't know where you live, but during the longer days where I am the sun sets well after 9pm, and it stays light long after that. Remember, the farther north you go the longer the days are in the summer.