CAN'T DENY ME!!!

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    23scidoo said:
     It's better than Ole. 
    It's better than Fixer
    Also true.
    Neither of these points is making me feel great, lol, but they are accurate!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    edited March 2018
    jordn6971 said:
    Please stop saying this sounds like Cornell. I would think if you have ears you'd realize it's offensive to his memory...
    :lol:
    Once I thought about it, I realized why people are saying it, but it doesn't actually sound like Chris. Eddie simply hits the same note/pitch at the beginning as Chris sometimes did - I hear that now - but that doesn't mean he sounds like Chris IMO. At all.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • AerocrowAerocrow Posts: 8
    It's sooooo gooood!
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,335
    Wish that 2nd link was a Flac download. Both are MP3.

• Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    demetrios said:

An MP3 at a sorry-ass bitrate of 160kbps. To quote Trump, "Sad."
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    demetrios said:

Thanks Trump! We never got stuck with 160kbps downloads when Barack Obama was in the White House! :lol:

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    demetrios said:

Actually that makes sense if this is considered an early exclusive and hasn't been fully produced yet. I think that when we actually get this it may sound a bit different. Seems like an early studio recording that was done on the spot and maybe given a little mixing. I don't know enough about the process so this is all just speculation. I'm probably way off :lol:
    It's a hopeless situation...
    tbergs said:
    demetrios said:

Actually that makes sense if this is considered an early exclusive and hasn't been fully produced yet. I think that when we actually get this it may sound a bit different. Seems like an early studio recording that was done on the spot and maybe given a little mixing. I don't know enough about the process so this is all just speculation. I'm probably way off :lol:
    No I think you might be spot on. It's hard to even judge the song because the recording is awful.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    PJ_Soul said:
     It's better than Ole. 
    Yes, that's true. It's WAY better than Ole.
    My 3-year-old was trying to sing Old McDonald last night. That was better than Ole.
  • PJinILPJinIL satan's bed Posts: 431
    I'm so glad to hear the new music, but I really wanted to LOVE this and I do not. I'll continue to listen and let it grow on me. One thing I've always respected about Ed is that he has adapted to his voice. The anger and frustration vibe could've been had without the noticeable strain. It creates the tension, does the trick. Sonically, I find it hard to enjoy. The verses don't feel like they connect properly with the chorus, like they are almost different songs. Again, push and pull of those may be a deliberate way of creating a discomfort.

As for comments that it was thrown together....I think it's a finished project. There are a number of extra tracks/sounds that are added. Why go through the trouble of adding those sound effects if this isn't what they wanted the product to be? I'm not against the typewriter sounds and triangle, etc, but I have a hard time hearing those awful clap SFX at the end. Like the guy in the soundbooth at an NBA game was invited to put in a clap track to get the crowd going. 

In the end, ecstatic for the new music. I support their energy and effort, and not complaining about the song. There's a lot I like, but I have a few things to get over before I can really enjoy the song through and through. I'm glad to be able to come here and see that not everyone is hanging onto it just because it's a Pearl Jam song.
    It's amazing what you hear when you take time to listen.
  • Bulldog88Bulldog88 Posts: 380
    Listened twice so far and I'm neutral at this point. I need to digest this, but I like the pissed off vibe. I also got the Cornell feel in the beginning (not saying Ed sounds just like Chris, but there is something familiar there that made me think of him right off the bat; perhaps the notes as others have said). I'm always happy to know they are in the studio working on something - it's great to be a Pearl Jam fan, just saying ;)
  • BK221359BK221359 Charleston, SC Posts: 237
    Ed sounds like Cornell in the first verse. Pretty great!
    My initial thought as well
    Pensacola, FL - 3-9-1994
    New Orleans, LA - 9-17-1995
    New Orleans, LA - 8-14-2000
    Lexington, KY - 4-26-2016
    Nashville, TN - 6-9-2016 (TMR)
    Bonnaroo - 6-11-2016
    Chicago, IL - 8-18-2018 & 8-20-2018
    Asbury Park, NJ - 9-18-2021
    Ohana Fest - 9-26-2021
    Ohana Fest Encore - 10-1-2021 & 10-2-2021
  • I get the impression that even if someone is credited as a sole writer on the music for something, they all have a hand in it one way or another.
    I'm inclined to agree with this.  I've never written a song or know how writing credits actually work, but I would assume if a sole band member is credited as the songwriter, he probably came up with the main rhythm and/or melody then the intricacies were worked out amongst the others.
    depends on the dynamics of the band, but also if the rest of the band feels as if the song was brought in complete or not. 

or, in PJ's case, if BoB thinks it's a radio hit or not. 
    Love it lol. Great comment 
  • Bulldog88Bulldog88 Posts: 380
    Who is being denied what?
    The A Nightmare on Elm Street soundtrack on vinyl. It's fucking 100+ dollars. I can't pay that.
    :lol::lol:
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    the song live will blow people mind
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”

I dunno...those vocals during the verses might sound pretty rough live.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited March 2018

Yeah. The vocals are surprisingly rough even on the studio version.

Hopefully it won't sound like this live :)@Shyner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE1iQNq7CVI
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,360
    I think it sounds awesome. Love the riff, love the Cornell high start, love the song.
  • GarasaurasGarasauras Ontario Posts: 230
    So it just got played on the radio here in Southern Ontario. So is it an official single also?

https://twitter.com/977htzfm/status/973281978589073409?s=21
  • ryph raphryph raph Posts: 887

"Can't Deny Me"

This sounds like a dud song that did not make the cut for Lightning Bolt.

Groups that have been around for a while have hundreds of songs like this in the vaults. Check out any of the re - issues of the Rolling Stones bonus discs.

Hey, every band / artist only has so much good material in them.

Still one of the best live bands from the last 50 years.

10-26-91 Cleveland
    4-2-92
    7-29-92
    5-4-95 Hovercraft / Cleveland
    8-26-98
    4-25-03
    5-20-06
    8-21-08 E.V. Chicago
    10-31-09 Philadelphia
    5-09-10 Cleveland
    5-10-10 Buffalo
    6-26-11 E.V. Detroit
    10-11-13 Pittsburgh
    10-12-13 Buffalo
    10-29-13 Charlottesville
    4-18-16 Hampton
    8-22-16 Chicago

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    I wish it would but I just don’t see that happening. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • GarasaurasGarasauras Ontario Posts: 230
    ryph raph said:

"Can't Deny Me"

This sounds like a dud song that did not make the cut for Lightning Bolt.

Groups that have been around for a while have hundreds of songs like this in the vaults. Check out any of the re - issues of the Rolling Stones bonus discs.

Hey, every band / artist only has so much good material in them.

Still one of the best live bands from the last 50 years.

I thought it sounded better than most of Lightning Bolt. I like the rawness of it. 
  • So are they sending this to us on vinyl I don’t get it. I just got one a week ago 
    im messed
    edited March 2018

Yeah, for the vocals to work live, they're going to have to change the song up a bit. Eddie can't even sing it on the studio version (which is my biggest beef with the song).
    Either way, I can't see this being a "mind blowing" song.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Spags said:
    I thought this was rather sweet, I like that they are dads and are clearly influenced by what their kids are experiencing right now in America. I really only see this stuff on twitter (since I live in a small fishing village in the UK), but good to hear Pearl Jam joining in the conversation. Let the song protest, etc.

Thanks guys for the new music!
    I don't know what there kids are experiencing but I know my two kids are living in a great time! BTW the song is great...lyrics are pretty shitty though. Protest songs are great if they can be generalized to be interpreted how you see fit.  But glad it was free i supposed and good to get you going in the morning. 
    6/27/06 St. Paul**MN
    11/16/13 OKC**OK
    10/09/14 Lincoln**NE
    10/19/14 St. Paul**MN
    5/02/16 NYC**MSG #2
    8/20/16 Chicago**IL Wrigley #1
    8/13/18 Missoula**MT WA-Grizz Stadium 
    8/18/18 Chicago**IL Wrigley #1 
    4/2/20 Nashville**TN 
    4/4/20 St. Louis**MO 

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    So are they sending this to us on vinyl I don’t get it. I just got one a week ago 
    It's probably in production and we'll get it a few months from now.  This is an "early" download.  I'm sure they'll send out a little blurb when they start to ship.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Trump wasn't President in 2011-2013.  Why do people think this is a LB leftover?
  • mcgruff10 said:
    I have to agree with mcgruff 10. I wish it would, too, but I don't see it happening. I have tried to like the song, but so far, I only like the chorus.
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    mcgruff10 said:
    I have to agree with mcgruff 10. I wish it would, too, but I don't see it happening. I have tried to like the song, but so far, I only like the chorus.
    i'm the opposite. the chorus is my least favourite part. I like the verses better. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    We're people this critical of weird shit like Happy When I'm Crying? It's still the fan club single, maybe just treat it like that? It's better than a whole lot of those have been in the past.