CAN'T DENY ME!!!

Comments

• JK109224JK109224 Posts: 558
    Ed's lyrics here are a bit hypocritical considering his unwavering support for Obama's legacy.
    Come to send, not condescend...
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited March 2018
    Well, the pitch at the beginning is similar to a common pitch that Chris used, but I just don't personally think that makes Eddie sound like Chris. But whatever (I have absolutely no desire for Eddie to sound like Chris, lol).

I listened a few more times now.... well, I like it a bit more than I did after 2 listens.... man though, Ed's voice cracking isn't doing it for me. I guess he is okay with it if he's comfortable putting it on a single, but for me, it's a little alarming, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,617
    I’m glad to see new music.  It’s a good, not great, song in my opinion.  I guess I just feel that at this stage especially, their best music is that of the Corduroy/RVM/Hail Hail tempo.  But, you have to mix it up so I understand having songs like this as well.
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • ChadplamChadplam Alberta Posts: 186

Can’t Deny Me Review

Well, angry Eddie is back, no-one should be too surprised given the political state of USA. This is a protest song with some clever lyrics and some interesting vocal melodies. There’s a lot going on in this song, cowbell, typewriter, hand claps, bells, cabasas and of course an intense group of guys beating away at their respective instruments. Matt Cameron brings his Soundgarden drum style to Pearl Jam, which is a long time coming. The song kicks off with his classic drum sound and what we can assume is Eddie writing new lyrics on a typewriter. This mix contains a lot so it might be hard to hear but you can hear not only the bell from the typewriter but the return lever for a new line and the clicks of each key as well, which is much more prominent in the almost danceable bridge. The guitars have a great crunch to them, that is recreating some great 70’s and 80’s tones but is lacking a bit in melody, there's the great rhythm riff flowing through the whole song but no distinguishable contrast with a second guitar. This one really brings out their punk roots throughout the verses but with quite a catchy chorus. Will this be what Mind Your Manners was to Lightning Bolt or is this just going to be a one-off single is the real question. Enjoy! 

2016- TOTD Seattle Night 1+2
    2018- Home Shows Night 1+2, Missoula 
  • THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,651
    It’s the best holiday single ever
  • ChadplamChadplam Alberta Posts: 186
    On a side note, thoughts on Room at the top being the B side release?
    2016- TOTD Seattle Night 1+2
    2018- Home Shows Night 1+2, Missoula 
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    Noooo sir
  • kateikatei DC Metro Posts: 76
    I like it, and I appreciate the art work.  Let it play with no background info and asked my husband what he thought.  First thing he said, is that Chris Cornell?  Thank you Pearl Jam and 10 Club.  A very fun surprise.
  • iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,507
    lol
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,587
    JK109224 said:
    Ed's lyrics here are a bit hypocritical considering his unwavering support for Obama's legacy.
    Can you elaborate? Like which lyrics are hypocritical?
  • JK109224JK109224 Posts: 558
    edited March 2018
    JK109224 said:
    As in, as if all of a sudden with Trump in charge everyone's rights are now being ignored, everyone is being treated differently.

I love that everyone is now awake and sees what's going on - but most of it was happening under Obama's watch too.

Anyway I digress.
    Come to send, not condescend...
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    JK109224 said:
    JK109224 said:
    As in, as if all of a sudden with Trump in charge everyone's rights are now being ignored, everyone is being treated differently.

I love that everyone is now awake and sees what's going on - but most of it was happening under Obama's watch too.

Anyway I digress.
    Hmmm, Obama was by no means perfect, but to say nothing is different or that the current Admin treats people the same is some wacky projection. 
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • TremormanTremorman Posts: 380
    New song took a few listens, but it’s officially killer.  Feels like a cross between  Force of Nature and Mind Your Manners
  • Stickman24Stickman24 Posts: 210
    edited March 2018
    How do I play the Download.  Sorry I’m a newer member and I’m having trouble getting it to play.  Any help would be great.  I’m trying to get it to play on my iPhone 8
    Post edited by Stickman24 on
  • PJ SwedenPJ Sweden Posts: 855
    wow nice surprise! Pretty angry Ed too, I really like it after only two listens
    Stockholm 1992-06-25
    Stockholm 2000-06-28
    Boston 2004-09-28
    Arnhem 2006-08-29
    Berlin 2006-09-23
    Copenhagen 2007-06-26
    Dublin 2010-06-22
    Berlin 2010-06-30
    Copenhagen 2012-07-10
    Stockholm 2012-07-07
    Stockholm 2014-06-28
  • fotdfotd Posts: 514
    Just downloaded this app so I could listen on my iPhone:

Documents by Readdle by Readdle Inc. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/documents-by-readdle/id364901807?mt=8

download and then drag and drop to open the zip file. 
    If you have the current iOS you should be able to save it in the "files" app that is included with the OS and you can listen to it within that app.

I’ve seen Pearl Jam 25 times, Eddie Vedder 9 times, and Brad once.
  • mattcozmattcoz Chicago Posts: 2,158
    Ed was channeling his inner Cornell for this one. Nice!
    That was my first impression too!
  • Irish_AenimaIrish_Aenima Memphis, TN Posts: 122
    Assuming this will get the 7" treatment with it being labeled as the 2017 annual single?
  • NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    fun track (not the message- serious i know) just a jammin fun track! thanks PJ!
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • fotdfotd Posts: 514
    How do I play the Download.  Sorry I’m a newer member and I’m having trouble getting it to play.  Any help would be great.  I’m trying to get it to play on my iPhone 8
    To download and listen on your iPhone 8
    1) log into your account.
    2) go to your downloads and click the download button for the song
    3) click on the Open in "Files" link
    4) the Files app will open and just select one of the folders, i chose the Pages one, then click the Add button
    5) In the Files app you will get a zip file with a bunch of numbers, click on that
    6) click on Preview Content
    7) click on the play button
    8) enjoy

If you would prefer to have the file in your Music app, you will need to download it to your PC or Mac, add it to iTunes, and then transfer it to your iPhone 8.

Hope that helps.
    I’ve seen Pearl Jam 25 times, Eddie Vedder 9 times, and Brad once.
  • CJ260717CJ260717 Posts: 414
    mattcoz said:
    Ed was channeling his inner Cornell for this one. Nice!
    That was my first impression too!
    All this talk has got listening to a boot of Cornell's at Benaroya.

Tiding me over until I can get the download to include more the just a pdf of the magazine.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    PJ_Soul said:
    One thing I am impressed by: the annual single is only 3 months late! The 2018 single might actually end up being on schedule!
    Don’t go there yet. It’s not officially released and we haven’t heard the other track.  It’s just an early listen. Maybe it’s just a stall tactic so they can take another 28 months to do the b-side to it.
  • evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,836
    There is way too much work put into this song for it to be a throwaway tune.  The holiday/fan club songs have always been either a rush job, a cover, or some live rarity.  It may be labelled as a fan club song but I'm pretty sure this will be on the new album (whenever that may be).  Just my thinking.

The song is still not really clicking for me, and maybe it never will.  I am glad people dig it and are connecting with it.  
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,651
    lol
    I was joking
  • insert thisinsert this Posts: 290
    I'm not seeing it in "Downloads" either. Actually all I have in there is Deep magazines. WTF!

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,601
    JK109224 said:
    JK109224 said:

Anyway I digress.
    Trump attempts to normalize and in some cases codify some of these things, of which I believe you speak.  Obama did neither and conducted himself in the opposite way.  Big difference.  
  • beeswaxbeeswax Posts: 119
    i like it a lot. i love edgy and raw and experimental pj and i'm pleased many here do.

not sure if he knows he's sick, but ..
    "you can't deny me" - right on!
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    A never before heard studio track for a holiday single? And angry and politically charged? Fuck yeah!
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • jonbond1779jonbond1779 London, UK Posts: 1,487
    Didn't like it initially but it's growing on me fast...very the clash. I feel a heavy Jeff influence here (and being released on his birthday!). As with every PJ song, this is just the blueprint, it will be perfected after they jam it out over a few live shows. #MFC
    "Bring it back, to the clean form. To the pure form"

28/09/04 - Boston, 20/04/06 - London [\\mm//Astoria\\mm//] - 18/06/07 - Wembley Arena, 11/08/09 -  London [\\mm//Shepherds Bush Empire\\mm//],18/08/09 - 02 Arena, 25/06/10 - Hyde Park, 26/06/12 - Amsterdam, 27/06/12 - Amsterdam, 08/07/14 - Leeds,11/07/14 - Milton Keynes, 13/06/18 - Amsterdam, 18/06/18 - London 02 Arena, 17/07/18 - London 02 Arena, 08/08/22 - Hyde Park, 9/08/22 - Hyde Park - 25/08/22 - Amsterdam, 29/07/24 - London {*Tottenham Stadium TBC*}
  • stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,357
    I'm not seeing it in "Downloads" either. Actually all I have in there is Deep magazines. WTF!

Scroll down