The AMT Marijuana Thread

Comments

• jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    PJ_Soul said:
    jeffbr said:
    brianlux said:
    Another way to avoid the hassle of being told to put it out (or worse) is to get a vape pen.  They're available with varying levels of THC, they are very discrete, and there is no tell-tale odor.  Vaping cannabis gives a nice high though it doesn't  last as long.  There are also oils but I haven't used them  A friend says she puts some of the edible oil under her tongue for an excellent high.  
    Absolutely right. Most tourists I see in the shops are getting vape pens or edible candies and drinks. A much more discrete way of consuming product. But I enjoy smoking flower, and want to taste the nuances in various strains, so I guess I was giving advice as a smoker. But I 100% agree that a vape pen is probably the best way for a tourist to really maximize enjoyment of the local wares without hassle.
    I don't really underatand. I have a vape pen, and it still produces a small amount of smoke - what I exhale smells like shatter. It is an obvious smell.
    Sure, but some vape has less odor than others, and the vape itself dissipates more quickly than smoke, so it is a more discrete way to go. If there are a couple of people on the street and one is smoking a joint, and the other pulling off a vape pen, you'll readily see and smell the difference.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    jeffbr said:
    jeffbr said:
    I'm still not clear on why you ranted the way you did. I agree with many of your premises. I find it hypocritical of governments to ban weed, yet allow (and in some cases subsidize) alcohol, tobacco, opiods, etc... But your rants seemed to be directed at people looking for solutions to problems. Legalization is something that will benefit almost everyone. Perhaps not you as you apparently participate in a medical system that allows you access at a price you like. But this isn't a medical issue, it is a much bigger issue. Recreational weed can and does coexist with medical weed. In some states here in the US (like my state), recreational weed is taxed at a higher rate than medicinal. They destroyed the medical system here when recreational shops first opened. They had to regroup and figure it out, by making tweaks to laws. Many rec shops provide a 20% discount on prices for medical patients to offset the taxes. But opening up the market to both medicinal and recreational use completely changes the game. It has all but eliminated the black market here. A small market exists where people grow, and sell to friends but nobody is getting rich selling weed on the black market here. That happened because of pricing. When we first legalized, we had stupid prices while processors were trying to fill the supply pipeline. The black market continued to thrive and most seasoned smokers stayed away from the shops and kept buying from their local guy. But more product meant lower pricing, and taxes were adjusted as well, and pricing ended up at or below black market pricing. That meant that people could now buy weed knowing where and how it was grown, what the strain is, and do so without looking over their shoulder risking getting mugged or busted. It also went a long way toward general acceptance. Even non-consumers here are no longer terrified of reefer madness. For most people, stopping in at the weed shop is no different than stopping in at a liquor store. Having a beer at home is no different than roasting a bowl. Law enforcement is no longer trying to jam up anyone they might smell weed on. Criminal enterprises are no longer interested in weed, as there is no margin for it, at least not commensurate with the risk.
    So while you may have an implementation issue with your local government, that will likely get ironed out over time, as experience is gained and data is collected. But you seem to want to throw out the baby with the bathwater, and it seems extremely counter productive. What you propose doesn't do anything to improve societal acceptance for weed, nor does it mitigate law enforcement's bias against weed. It sounds like you have no interest in improving the situation for everyone, and you're just cranky because it may affect your individual situation. That's a bummer.
    I ranted because I’m sick of people thinking we should need the governments permission to use a product that is for most part is harmless and in my case has helped tremendously...I apologized...I’m pretty sure I’m not the only person who has ranted...once again sorry.
    Hey man, sorry if it felt like I was piling on. Of course you aren't the only one who has ranted, and rants are often valid and therapeutic (although I really didn't want the thread locked, since we've already had at least 1 general weed thread locked which is why this one was started). That's why I turned my reply back toward me. I just wanted to provide perspective that at least in my case, while I wasn't a big supporter of legalization the way it was being drafted in my state, it ended up being closer to what I had hoped for than I thought it would. I was cranky about it it, and now I'm happy as a clam. Just trying to provide perspective and optimism. Glad cooler heads are prevailing. And Jose, totally agree with your post.
    No problem, I don’t want this thread locked.  In our case the legislation is stuck in our senate, probably not much will be changed in the senate, they’ll just delay ... I’m hearing August or September for legalization.  The government did drop the idea of collecting an excise tax on medicinal, but sales tax is still collected collected on medical. As someone who has tried to make edibles (failed miserably, l.ol), I wish edibles would have been included.

i do appreciate your perspective.  Legalization is mot that important to me, as I will never give up my medical script.

Give Peas A Chance…

brianlux said:
    Another way to avoid the hassle of being told to put it out (or worse) is to get a vape pen.  They're available with varying levels of THC, they are very discrete, and there is no tell-tale odor.  Vaping cannabis gives a nice high though it doesn't  last as long.  There are also oils but I haven't used them  A friend says she puts some of the edible oil under her tongue for an excellent high.  
    I gap now and again ... make sure the vamp pen/device either has a temp gauge or cap pen doesn’t allow your product to get so hot the your product doesn’t become a carcinogen.

THE BEST TEMPERATURE FOR VAPING WEED

Home / Cannabismo Blog / The Best Temperature For Vaping Weed
    https://cannabismo.ca/best-temperature-vaping-weed/

How to Customize Your Cannabis High With TemperatureHow to Customize Your Cannabis High With Temperature

https://www.leafly.com/news/cannabis-101/how-to-customize-a-cannabis-high-with-temperature
    Give Peas A Chance…
    If you vape and it smells like pot ... then you likely got a cheap vap device.  My vap. I could use in a cop car and the cop would never know.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    edited March 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    jeffbr said:
    brianlux said:
    Absolutely right. Most tourists I see in the shops are getting vape pens or edible candies and drinks. A much more discrete way of consuming product. But I enjoy smoking flower, and want to taste the nuances in various strains, so I guess I was giving advice as a smoker. But I 100% agree that a vape pen is probably the best way for a tourist to really maximize enjoyment of the local wares without hassle.
    I don't really underatand. I have a vape pen, and it still produces a small amount of smoke - what I exhale smells like shatter. It is an obvious smell.
    Are you vaporizing flower or do you have a cartridge with cannabis oil?  Vape pens with oil only emit a bit a vapor which has a slight scent that dissipates rapidly and does not smell like marijuana.

jeffbr said:
    brianlux said:
    Yeah, I agree Jeff, at home. I prefer smoking some nice flower. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• MakingWavesMakingWaves Posts: 1,288
    jeffbr said:
    I am traveling to Seattle for the first time in April. I’m excited about going and wanted to ask a couple of questions. I am staying in Bellevue because that is where the seminar I have to attend is located. I’m assuming there are plenty of shops to buy some weed but where should I go to smoke?  Any recommendations of what else to do while in the area would be appreciated. 
    I’m assuming there are some Seattle locals here on this thread. 
    That's the tricky part for visitors - where to smoke. Purchasing it is super easy. If you tell me where in Bellevue you will be, I can let you know of a couple of shops. My favorite shop, which we visit on our weekly errands, is located in Bellevue and always has good prices and a nice selection of flower, concentrate and edibles. As far as where to smoke? Well, it is technically illegal to smoke outdoors in public places. However, it is often done by locals and tourists alike, and if for some reason a cop sees it, the worst that will happen is that they'll tell you to put it out. Especially if you act dumb about it. If they are assholes, they can cite you, but it is similar to an open container ticket, and will run you about $27. But that is more hassle for them than it's worth, so they'll typically just tell you to put it out. When I'm in a weed unfriendly state, staying in a hotel, I just go into the bathroom, turn on the fan, put a rolled up towel under the door, start the shower, and smoke away.

As far as things to do, are you talking specifically about Bellevue? It is a nice smaller city, but doesn't have any sort of amazing night life or anything. There aren't a lot of clubs to see bands. It is more of an upscale place with malls with Neiman Marcus type stores but lots of good restaurants. There isn't really much to see in Bellevue. So I'd recommend popping over the bridge into Seattle for any sort of sightseeing, or taking in the local scene and night life.  Take in a soccer game at CenturyLink Field, or a baseball game at Safeco Field. Catch a show at the Showbox, visit Pike Place Market, hang out in Pioneer Square. Spend some time in West Seattle visiting Easy Street Records and the great cafes, restaurants, bars and shops nearby. Take a ferry ride. There are lots of things do to in Seattle both indoors and outdoors depending on your tolerance of wet weather. And you might get lucky and catch us during a sunny period in which case there is no place more beautiful. 
    Thanks Jeff. That is great information. I appreciate it. 
    Seeing visions of falling up somehow.

Pensacola '94
    New Orleans '95
    Birmingham '98
    New Orleans '00
    New Orleans '03
    Tampa '08
    New Orleans '10 - Jazzfest
    New Orleans '16 - Jazzfest
    Fenway Park '18
    St. Louis '22
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    jeffbr said:
    brianlux said:
    Totally with you on the flower (power!) front for the same reasons.  The tincture Brian mentioned is quite effective as well, though I typically smoke the bud.

Vape pen taste?  I haven't used that outside of home so never paid attention.  Just gave it a hit and there's some flavor / scent there but definitely doesn't smell like weed on the exhale.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Yeah I will agree, a good vape and a clean flower or concentrate has little smell.  It is something that has always amazed me, that it tastes so strong and smells so little.  Some interesting chemistry happening there.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    I prefer flower as well.  I don't smoke my stuff in the house, so for those really cold day and nights I will vap...

Give Peas A Chance…
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Headed to Fenway for PJ...

What's the word on Massachusetts?
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    You can still get smoking rooms in WA.
    #FHP
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Febreeze max strength travel bottle is a good friend to keep around on road trips
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited March 2018
    If you vape and it smells like pot ... then you likely got a cheap vap device.  My vap. I could use in a cop car and the cop would never know.
    But you vape shatter or budder or oil... and that heats up on a heating coil inside your vape pen... and then you inhale SMOKE from that, not just water vapour. What you exhale is smoke, not vapour.... :confused: I don't see how it's possible that concentrated weed products like budder or shatter could be heated up and not produce any smell....
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    But you vape shatter or budder or oil... and that heats up on a heating coil inside your vape pen... and then you inhale SMOKE from that, not just water vapour. What you exhale is smoke, not vapour.... :confused: I don't see how it's possible that concentrated weed products like budder or shatter could be heated up and not produce any smell....
    I vape ground up flower.  I don't use a vape pen.  I purchased my vape off my medicinal supplier, I can control the temperature of my vape.  There is no door from my vape, that is why I like it (leave no smell in the house).  As far as exhaling, no idea.

Here's a good article on vaping pot...

VAPORIZER TEMPERATURES FOR CANNABIS - THE ULTIMATE GUIDE
    https://www.zamnesia.com/content/284-vaporizer-temperatures-for-cannabis

Give Peas A Chance…
    PJ_Soul said:
    I vape ground up flower.  I don't use a vape pen.  I purchased my vape off my medicinal supplier, I can control the temperature of my vape.  There is no door from my vape, that is why I like it (leave no smell in the house).  As far as exhaling, no idea.

Here's a good article on vaping pot...

VAPORIZER TEMPERATURES FOR CANNABIS - THE ULTIMATE GUIDE
    https://www.zamnesia.com/content/284-vaporizer-temperatures-for-cannabis

My ideal temperature is hot enough to turn the product into smoke that I inhale, and not so hot that inhaling from it burns the fuck out of my throat. ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Ontario is going all No Name Brand on its cannabis stores:

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2018/03/09/ontario-cannabis-store_a_23381832/

At some point in the summer of 2018, the Canadian government is going to legalize marijuana across the country. And as such, provinces are preparing for exactly how they plan to sell it.

In Alberta, they'll be issuing licenses for cannabis stores. In B.C., it'll be a mix of public and private stores that will offer weed for sale.

In Ontario, pot will be acquired through government-run stores, and on Friday, the province revealed exactly what those will be called, and what the marketing effort behind it looks like.

LCBO CANNABIS

The Ontario Cannabis Store, the official brand of the LCBO's cannabis arm, notes the logo is "designed to convey a safe, simple and approachable environment for consumers, and agency employees, in a clear and easily understood manner."

Emphasis on the safe.

And of course, it got immediate feedback from online commenters........

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    I was in LA this week and stopped at a store and picked up some gummies and a disposable pen.  The pen is fantastic, no smell, little exhale smoke and it has a berry taste.  My wife likes it because I didn't reek after "going to the garage" last night.  California was cool, no hassle, just like Denver.  
    edited March 2018
    mrussel1 said:
    I was in LA this week and stopped at a store and picked up some gummies and a disposable pen.  The pen is fantastic, no smell, little exhale smoke and it has a berry taste.  My wife likes it because I didn't reek after "going to the garage" last night.  California was cool, no hassle, just like Denver.  
    "going to the garage"  That cracked me up.  That's what I tell my wife- "I'm going to the garage for a few minutes. " :lol:  

Yeah, the nice thing about vape pens- no need to run out to the garage!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    "going to the garage"  That cracked me up.  That's what I tell my wife- "I'm going to the garage for a few minutes. " :lol:  

I have 3 kids... still need to disappear!  One day too soon, I won't need to..
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:

I have 3 kids... still need to disappear!  One day too soon, I won't need to..
    That's wise.  Better that they don't get into it too early.

Ontario is going all No Name Brand on its cannabis stores:

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2018/03/09/ontario-cannabis-store_a_23381832/

At some point in the summer of 2018, the Canadian government is going to legalize marijuana across the country. And as such, provinces are preparing for exactly how they plan to sell it.

In Alberta, they'll be issuing licenses for cannabis stores. In B.C., it'll be a mix of public and private stores that will offer weed for sale.

In Ontario, pot will be acquired through government-run stores, and on Friday, the province revealed exactly what those will be called, and what the marketing effort behind it looks like.

LCBO CANNABIS

The Ontario Cannabis Store, the official brand of the LCBO's cannabis arm, notes the logo is "designed to convey a safe, simple and approachable environment for consumers, and agency employees, in a clear and easily understood manner."

Emphasis on the safe.

And of course, it got immediate feedback from online commenters........

This is fantastic.

Earlier I read a "study" that cannabis is safer and more effective than opiods...duh!  
    That logo cost 650 000 grand...can’t make this shit up with the Ontario government these...

stas canada did a study and found on average consumers in Canada pay 7/gram...not the 10 plus tax that Trudeau thinks.

i’ve never paid more than 8/gram...

Give Peas A Chance…

Not high on inspiration: Ontario Cannabis Store logo derided as boring

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-cannabis-store-logo-1.4571297
    Give Peas A Chance…

Not necessarily a bad thing.  Maybe keeping it more low key will lessen negative feedback from those who are skeptical about legalization. 

"Back in the day" some of would have found this hard to believe.  I visited a dispensary in Sacramento a few weeks ago and was blown away by how little (even with the high tax rate) can be spent for high quality flower so potent that one bud will last me a good while.  I never really thought I'd see the day.  Now if we could just get the feds to either legalize or at the very least have congress de-list marijuana as a schedule 1 controlled substance here in the U.S.!

brianlux said:

Not necessarily a bad thing.  Maybe keeping it more low key will lessen negative feedback from those who are skeptical about legalization. 

"Back in the day" some of would have found this hard to believe.  I visited a dispensary in Sacramento a few weeks ago and was blown away by how little (even with the high tax rate) can be spent for high quality flower so potent that one bud will last me a good while.  I never really thought I'd see the day.  Now if we could just get the feds to either legalize or at the very least have congress de-list marijuana as a schedule 1 controlled substance here in the U.S.!
    I think pot should be removed from the books...the government has no business telling me what to put in my body.  I am a responsible weed user.  Mostly smoke at home, and never ever drive high...I’m opposed to government run pot stores, the government missed a golden opportunity to allow for whole knew generation of entrepreneurs, and probably a lot of young entrepreneurs...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited March 2018
    I am a little bit stunned by how badly Ontario is fucking this up, lol. Glad I'm in BC.

PS - I pay $8 - $10 for a gram in Vancouver at a medical dispensary... and that is absolutely fine with me. Back in the 90s grams were normally $15. The price has gone way down. If taxes or capitalism make an AAA gram $10 - $12, I'm totally cool with that. I consider that very affordable.

I never realized how many Canadian pot smokers were whiny fucking princesses until now btw. Jesus, it's becoming legal, it's going to be affordable, we'll see more tax revenue without dinging people, and some folks are just bitching and complaining. It's ridiculous. Talk about punching a gift horse in the mouth.
    PJ_Soul said:
    I am a little bit stunned by how badly Ontario is fucking this up, lol. Glad I'm in BC.

PS - I pay $8 - $10 for a gram in Vancouver at a medical dispensary... and that is absolutely fine with me. Back in the 90s grams were normally $15. The price has gone way down. If taxes or capitalism make an AAA gram $10 - $12, I'm totally cool with that. I consider that very affordable.

I never realized how many Canadian pot smokers were whiny fucking princesses until now btw. Jesus, it's becoming legal, it's going to be affordable, we'll see more tax revenue without dinging people, and some folks are just bitching and complaining. It's ridiculous. Talk about punching a gift horse in the mouth.
    Its not a surprise, this liberal government could not run a hot dog stand at a profit.  The current premier is 20 points behind Rob Ford in the polls for the upcoming June election...

when ontario first introduced its legislation regarding pot stores...the news interviewed a person coming out of a head shop, she was asked her opinion on Ontario’s legislation, she said “she gets hers at 6/gram and her dealer delivers to her within the hour”, that’s customer service at its finest.

I can get mine for 4/gram from my medical supplier...16% THC.I think the 4/gram is their answer to compassionate pricing.  

Many medicinal suppliers have compassionate pricing, but usually you have to prove you are need...

Give Peas A Chance…
    In good conscience, I could never take advantage of that pricing system (similar program here); it'd be like using someone else's handicapped parking placard.

I buy by the eighth and usually pay $60 - $75 for the better quality stuff.  The taxes though!  Even with my prescription, the last time I paid over $43 on a purchase around $330.  Still, no major complaints from here.
    ^^^who said I’m taking advantage of it, I never it was official that it was sold at that for compassionate pricing...that’s my guess...but whatever.
    Give Peas A Chance…