Comments

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,248
    STOP THE FIGHT!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,576
    my2hands said:
    Didn't a teacher just crack off rounds in a classroom and the school went into lockdown the other day? 

Lunacy.
    Ayeup. Just another “responsible” gun owner until they weren’t. 
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    PJPOWER said:
    my2hands said:
    The point is... before we go down a worm hole... is you're equating a ferarm with a fucking seatbelt... and that's ridiculous 
    I’m not equating them, but was only making the point that there is a difference between “fearful” and “prepared”.  In fact, one of the main points of discussion in my CCW class was to not carry out of fear, but out of preparedness.

If one of the main points of discussion in my CCW class was to not carry out of fear
    That tells me the majority of people who CCW do it out of fear

What are you preparing for?  Good guy stopping a bad guy with a gun is myth, statistically insignificant. 
    The only thing CCW prepares you for is the increased likelihood you will shoot yourself or a family member. 
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    rgambs said:
    my2hands said:
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:
    my2hands said:
    rgambs said:
    my2hands said:
    Let me say this clearly...

Arming teachers is literally the dumbest idea ive heard in my 39 years on this planet... I'm shocked at how many Americans think it's a good idea, or even debatable... it's lunacy!!!

It's ok, there are George Zimmermans out there teaching, it's only a matter of time. Blood won't be on my hands

If I had a kid and his school allowed armed teachers, I would pull my kid out so fast their head would spin. I question any parent that wouldn't do the same

Guns suck, nothing positive comes from them. Nothing. 

This sounds like head in the sand talk to me.
    The guns are out there, hundreds of millions of them.  They are walking into schools and concerts and nightclubs and malls and they are murdering people in scores.  At what point does being the only person without a gun become the dumbest thing you've ever heard.
    I don't think the solution to guns is more guns, it's working to get guns out of the wrong hands and working to get guns into the right hands.

Leaving kids with closet doors as their only protection sounds pretty fucking dumb to me.
    Made it 39 years without owning a gun, no problem at all... and I will NEVER own a gun personally... because i'm not scared... I'll be totally fine being the only American without a gun, don't need it

The love of my life carries a gun for work, and I fear for her safety every day.

Never liked guns, never will... they are only made to destroy... not impressed with gun owners that thinks it's awesome either... had a younger dipshit cousin bragging about buying an AR-15 at Christmas 2 years ago... he's never been hunting... lives in a suburban neighborhood...can bsrely keep a job... nice kid,  but he has no fucking clue... and he's bragging about owning an assault rifle... good job America, bravo 

Pathetic times in the USA
    You don't have to be scared to be dead.

It is pathetic, that's for sure.
    I never understood this anyway.  Do you have fire extinguishers because you are scared of a fire?  Do you wear seatbelts because you are scared of a wreck?  Do you bring a coat with you on a cool day because you are scared of freezing?  Do you have a spare tire because you are “scared” of getting a flat?  Do people have first aid kits because they are scared of getting a cut?
    No, you do those things to prepare for if you are ever in a situation where you may need them...because negative situations do exist.  Some take that to the extreme (aka “preppers”), but who am I to call someone crazy for preparing for the worst.  “Prepare for the worst, hope for the best”

On another note, I do take bear spray on hiking trips because I am terrified of bears, lol
    Fire extinguishers put out fires... seatbelts stop me from flying out the window... coats keep me warm... spare tires work better then flat ones... 

But having a gun does not make me safer...actually, it does quite the opposite according to widely accepted and available statistics 

I work in a city labeled as "Murdertown USA" so i'm well aware of the risks in modern america, and im also aware that having a gun does not make me safer in any way
    That bears out true statistically across a societal level, but again, saying it doesn't make you "safer in any way" is hyperbole that's just exaggeration.
    Not true.

The statistics clearly demonstrate that the moment a gun is introduced to a household... the likelihood of someone in that household getting hurt or killed by gunfire increases exponentially.
    Yeah but that's because the statistics don't
    exclude mouth breathing Trump voters. 
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    my2hands said:
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:
    my2hands said:
    rgambs said:
    my2hands said:

Arming teachers is literally the dumbest idea ive heard in my 39 years on this planet... I'm shocked at how many Americans think it's a good idea, or even debatable... it's lunacy!!!

It's ok, there are George Zimmermans out there teaching, it's only a matter of time. Blood won't be on my hands

If I had a kid and his school allowed armed teachers, I would pull my kid out so fast their head would spin. I question any parent that wouldn't do the same

The guns are out there, hundreds of millions of them.  They are walking into schools and concerts and nightclubs and malls and they are murdering people in scores.  At what point does being the only person without a gun become the dumbest thing you've ever heard.
    I don't think the solution to guns is more guns, it's working to get guns out of the wrong hands and working to get guns into the right hands.

Leaving kids with closet doors as their only protection sounds pretty fucking dumb to me.
    Made it 39 years without owning a gun, no problem at all... and I will NEVER own a gun personally... because i'm not scared... I'll be totally fine being the only American without a gun, don't need it

The love of my life carries a gun for work, and I fear for her safety every day.

Never liked guns, never will... they are only made to destroy... not impressed with gun owners that thinks it's awesome either... had a younger dipshit cousin bragging about buying an AR-15 at Christmas 2 years ago... he's never been hunting... lives in a suburban neighborhood...can bsrely keep a job... nice kid,  but he has no fucking clue... and he's bragging about owning an assault rifle... good job America, bravo 

I never understood this anyway.  Do you have fire extinguishers because you are scared of a fire?  Do you wear seatbelts because you are scared of a wreck?  Do you bring a coat with you on a cool day because you are scared of freezing?  Do you have a spare tire because you are “scared” of getting a flat?  Do people have first aid kits because they are scared of getting a cut?
    No, you do those things to prepare for if you are ever in a situation where you may need them...because negative situations do exist.  Some take that to the extreme (aka “preppers”), but who am I to call someone crazy for preparing for the worst.  “Prepare for the worst, hope for the best”

On another note, I do take bear spray on hiking trips because I am terrified of bears, lol
    Fire extinguishers put out fires... seatbelts stop me from flying out the window... coats keep me warm... spare tires work better then flat ones... 

But having a gun does not make me safer...actually, it does quite the opposite according to widely accepted and available statistics 

I work in a city labeled as "Murdertown USA" so i'm well aware of the risks in modern america, and im also aware that having a gun does not make me safer in any way
    That bears out true statistically across a societal level, but again, saying it doesn't make you "safer in any way" is hyperbole that's just exaggeration.
    Not true.

The statistics clearly demonstrate that the moment a gun is introduced to a household... the likelihood of someone in that household getting hurt or killed by gunfire increases exponentially.
    The drooling fools supporting Trump likely do make up a significant portion of the gun ownership base and, therefore, your point might have some validity.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    CM189191 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    my2hands said:
    The point is... before we go down a worm hole... is you're equating a ferarm with a fucking seatbelt... and that's ridiculous 
    I’m not equating them, but was only making the point that there is a difference between “fearful” and “prepared”.  In fact, one of the main points of discussion in my CCW class was to not carry out of fear, but out of preparedness.

If one of the main points of discussion in my CCW class was to not carry out of fear
    That tells me the majority of people who CCW do it out of fear

What are you preparing for?  Good guy stopping a bad guy with a gun is myth, statistically insignificant. 
    The only thing CCW prepares you for is the increased likelihood you will shoot yourself or a family member. 
    Spot on stuff here that I thought was widely available and accepted... sadly I'm wrong

Owning a gun threatens yourself and your loved ones much more than the hypothetical bad guy that most likely will never exist... 

Therefore, arming teachers is a REALLY bad idea.

Blood won't be on my hands
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    my2hands said:
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:
    my2hands said:
    rgambs said:
    my2hands said:

Not true.

The drooling fools supporting Trump likely do make up a significant portion of the gun ownership base and, therefore, your point might have some validity.
    You must be high if you concede a "might have some validity" to me lol
    I kid.

Ultimately, I'd love our country to be largely free of guns, with only highly regulated individuals having guns in a highly regulated system.
    We have to work hard to get there.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    my2hands said:
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:
    my2hands said:
    rgambs said:
    my2hands said:

Not true.

I kid.

Ultimately, I'd love our country to be largely free of guns, with only highly regulated individuals having guns in a highly regulated system.
    No better time to start then the present my friend
  • Options
    my2hands said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    my2hands said:
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:
    my2hands said:
    rgambs said:
    my2hands said:

Not true.

I kid.

No better time to start then the present my friend
    I don't have much time or access for activism, for now the best I can do is vote for Democrats and pressure them to act.
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    Having a gun does not make you safer. Criminals aren't asking who has guns before shooting people or robbing them. Having a gun during a shooting or a robbery just means you have the opportunity to shoot back. You're still in an unsafe situation.  So the argument of "guns make me safe" is silly and all in the gun owners head.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    my2hands said:

NEVER as dumb as making teachers pack heat. 
    Easy to say when you don't have kids going to school in America.

no it isn't. I can't seriously fathom being for arming teachers even if I lived there. I have family in Texas and Wisconsin that have kids in elementary and middle and high school. it scares the fuck out of me that this may happen to one of them at some point. and I can't imagine any of my relatives are pro-arming teachers either. 
    So are you more scared that they will be shot by a teacher than a student or someone off the street?
    1) an over stressed teacher using it as a fear tactic to get their kids in line
    2) said teacher possibly accidentally or temporarily insanely shoots a kid
    3) crazy kid without easy access to firearms disarms teacher and shoots them/other kids
    4) normalizing guns to the point that our children grow up thinking carrying a gun everywhere you go is totally ok
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    Geez, not like I've seen this right here on these boards. God forbid you use the term "clip" versus "magazine." And talk about "group think?"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/posteverything/wp/2018/03/06/the-nra-and-its-allies-use-jargon-to-bully-gun-control-supporters/?utm_term=.335d11294523

For an example, look to Dana Loesch, the conservative shock jock turned paid spokeswoman for the National Rifle Association, who represented the gun lobby’s perspective at a live televised town hallforum last month with survivors of the Parkland shooting.

[A gun won’t give you the guts to run toward danger]

There, the mother of a teacher who died protecting his students from gunfire asked Loesch: How could she possibly believe the Founding Fathers, who ratified the Second Amendment in 1791, anticipated legal AR-15s?

“At the time,” Loesch replied, “there were fully automatic weapons that were available — the Belton gun and Puckle gun.”

Focus on her word choice, not her misremembered history. (I’m writing a book on the Belton gun and can safely say her argument was bunk.) Here was the NRA’s top voice in a time of tragedy, defending AR-15 ownership as a bedrock constitutional right by name-checking two 18th-century manually operated flintlocks — quite incorrectly — as “fully automatic weapons.”

If, in the course of advocating for stricter gun laws, a Democrat, cable-news personality or Hollywood activist had called a flintlock a machine gun, the NRA would have hustled out a fundraising appeal to its members that same day with a video clip of the offending remark prominently embedded in the email. Instead, they’ve given their own spokeswoman a pass on the lingo, even though they once made a video that claimed media bias when gunfire deaths were referred to as “shootings.” Loesch doesn’t know what she’s talking about. She’s gunsplaining.

More recently, Tomi Lahren, a Fox News personality with no obvious qualifications, preemptively tweet-lectured “Lefties” that the “AR” in AR-15 doesn’t stand for “assault rifle” but for the name of the gun’s original manufacturer, Armalite. She failed to note that the family of Eugene Stoner, Armalite’s onetime chief engineer and the brains behind the AR-15, insisted in 2016 that he would be “horrified and sickened” to see his military rifle pattern become so common in civilian households and school shootings.

Lahren’s tweet is bad-faith gunsplaining par excellence. Its point is not to foster deeper understanding of these weapons, but to further a group identity of firearms owners as beset upon by a dumb or dishonest adversary, to flatter their insecurities and tell them they don’t need to take gun controllers seriously because you can’t reason with ignorance.

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Guns are lame
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    my2hands said:
    Didn't a teacher just crack off rounds in a classroom and the school went into lockdown the other day? 

Lunacy.
    In a gun free zone until it wasn’t.
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    edited March 2018
    Post edited by unsung on
  • Options
    unsung said:
    my2hands said:

Lunacy.
    In a classroom where the teacher was carrying. Try to keep up.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    unsung said:
    It’s just 2%. What’s 2%? What’s the % of high casualty mass shootings recently? You know, Sandy Hook, Vegas, Texas, Florida, etc.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    unsung said:
    you convinced me, we should further restrict access to all types of guns
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    unsung said:
    my2hands said:

Lunacy.
    Speaking of keeping up I have never said to arm the teachers.  I want a pro.  Get an ex Army grunt.
  • Options

unsung said:
    It’s just 2%. What’s 2%? What’s the % of high casualty mass shootings recently? You know, Sandy Hook, Vegas, Texas, Florida, etc.
    Read the article and you have your answer.
  • Options

CM189191 said:
    unsung said:
    You knock on that first door.  Lead the charge.  
  • Options
    unsung said:

CM189191 said:
    unsung said:
    Tough guy is back!

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    unsung said:

unsung said:
    Read the article and you have your answer.
    In the four I’ve referenced it’s 100%. Don’t need to read fake news to know which way the wind blows.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Unsung...

Give me an example of why you would need an AR-15 or similar type of weapon?
  • Options
    unsung said:

CM189191 said:
    unsung said:
    Oh come on, lol.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    unsung said:
    unsung said:
    my2hands said:

Lunacy.
    Speaking of keeping up I have never said to arm the teachers.  I want a pro.  Get an ex Army grunt.
    In 2014–15, there were about 13,600 public school districts with close to 98,200 public schools, including about 6,700 charter schools. In fall 2015, there were about 34,600 private schools offering kindergarten or higher grades.

Where are all these grunts coming from?  How many of them have PTSD?  Who is going to pay for them?

Society is tired of paying for your shiny boom boom hobby toys.  You are a burden to us all.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,840
    CM189191 said:
    unsung said:
    unsung said:
    my2hands said:

Lunacy.
    In 2014–15, there were about 13,600 public school districts with close to 98,200 public schools, including about 6,700 charter schools. In fall 2015, there were about 34,600 private schools offering kindergarten or higher grades.

Where are all these grunts coming from?  How many of them have PTSD?  Who is going to pay for them?

Society is tired of paying for your shiny boom boom hobby toys.  You are a burden to us all.
    My town has 14 schools and has a cop in every school.  When it is a necessity towns will find the money.  Many towns around me are also are hiring  retired policemen to patrol their schools.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,840
    interesting video, a town in georgia requires by law (although it is not enforced) that every citizen owns a firearm.  it is one of georgia's safest cities:
    https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2018/03/07/kennesaw-gun-law-orig.cnn
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,949
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
This discussion has been closed.