March For Our Lives - Parkland Students Demanding Action

Comments

• g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
    I'm north of you in Palm Beach County just came back from Fort Lauderdale this morning. I saw this and immediately made a donation. The power of our youths is there to keep the pressure on these lazy politricksians. All the the best and as time goes on more donations will come from me.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Rock on, g!

As to the youths participating in this, I support them aside from their future potential of voting; I applaud them for giving a shit and having the character to try and make a difference.  It's more than I see from many (so-called) adults.
  • brianwpbrianwp Posts: 125
    Changes are happening in Florida!
    Small steps, but a definite shift in the right direction. 

https://www.politico.com/states/florida/story/2018/03/07/florida-house-passes-gun-reform-school-safety-bill-after-lengthy-debate-301839

I just checked www.marchforourlives.com and as of now there are over 500 marches scheduled on March 24th. Please check to see if there’s one in your area and sign up. The more people that show up, the harder it will be for Congress to ignore us!
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    brianwp said:
    Changes are happening in Florida!
    Small steps, but a definite shift in the right direction. 

https://www.politico.com/states/florida/story/2018/03/07/florida-house-passes-gun-reform-school-safety-bill-after-lengthy-debate-301839

I just checked www.marchforourlives.com and as of now there are over 500 marches scheduled on March 24th. Please check to see if there’s one in your area and sign up. The more people that show up, the harder it will be for Congress to ignore us!
    Thanks for update , bump it up 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • ConorKavanaghConorKavanagh Ireland Posts: 1,148
    I just realised that I'm going to be in the U.S when this is happening. Does anyone know if there's any marches happening in the Seattle area then?
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    unsung said:
    I hope anyone that walks out is given Saturday Detention.
    for someone who doesn't like government, it seems you want government institutions to enforce rules when it furthers your agenda.  you are NOT A  LIBERTARIAN...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    I just realised that I'm going to be in the U.S when this is happening. Does anyone know if there's any marches happening in the Seattle area then?
    Here’s a link to the Seattle March. There are several others in the region as well. 

https://event.marchforourlives.com/event/march-our-lives-events/8926/signup/?source=&akid=&zip=
  • ConorKavanaghConorKavanagh Ireland Posts: 1,148
    Awesome. I think I have a whale watching trip booked while it's on unfortunately. However, it'll still be cool to be in and around the city afterwards.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    So glad to seed this thread toward the top and the interest and involvement still gaining strength.  So often we read something, amek a few comments, maybe donate some money and then through the busy, fast pace of life these things drop completely off the radar.  Something like this deserves momentum!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:
    So glad to seed this thread toward the top and the interest and involvement still gaining strength.  So often we read something, amek a few comments, maybe donate some money and then through the busy, fast pace of life these things drop completely off the radar.  Something like this deserves momentum!
    so true , it was so evident that the Orange bafoon was blowing those kids off ...
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Maybe the gun control activist need to start outspending the NRA ... with politicians it’s all about the money...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Maybe the gun control activist need to start outspending the NRA ... with politicians it’s all about the money...
    This is true.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    Bumping to the top 
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Planned Parenthood gives more to politicians than the NRA.
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    These walkouts are illegal.  Teachers are govt employees funded by the taxpayer.  Teachers are not allowed to engage in political activity while on the clock.  I will be calling my politicians tomorrow to demand the dismissal of all teachers that participate and also suspension of all students that disrupt class.
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    unsung said:
    These walkouts are illegal.  Teachers are govt employees funded by the taxpayer.  Teachers are not allowed to engage in political activity while on the clock.  I will be calling my politicians tomorrow to demand the dismissal of all teachers that participate and also suspension of all students that disrupt class.
    Haha.

Image result for old man yelling at cloud
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,477
    unsung said:
    Tough guy is back! Woa! Exercising your freedom of speech and your right to petition for redress of grievances. Are you going to counter protest with your AK47 slung over your shoulder?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,201
    unsung said:
    You are hilariously predictable. If this was some school in Mississippi protesting liberal politicians trying to take away their guns, we would either A. Not here a peep from you or B. Hear you arguing for the kids’ 1st amendment rights.

Call away, no one fucking cares. 
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    My son is part of a group that is helping to organize a 17 minute "walk out".  The school system (suburban Richmond) is supportive and will not be taking any actions against the students.  I'm proud of them all, including the administration.

As a comparative, when I was a senior in 91, our city failed to pass a school levy.  We pretended we cared the next day and about 200 kids walked out as a protest.  We quickly convened at someone's house and had a blowout party until a squad of cops came and arrested about 20 kids for consumption.  We didn't give a shit about the levy.  These kids care and they are better people than we were in '91!
    unsung said:
    “Protest beyond the law is not a departure from democracy; it is absolutely essential to it.”
    -Howard Zinn

brianlux said:
    unsung said:
    “Protest beyond the law is not a departure from democracy; it is absolutely essential to it.”
    -Howard Zinn
    And they are anything but "illegal".  Evidently there is a grave misunderstanding between a school/administration policy and the law.  
    unsung said:
    Saturday or Sunday or after school isn't a good time to protest?  It isn't trolling.  Your kid's education is paid for by taxpayers.  

That is one of the problems, parents not teaching responsibility.  Organize a Saturday march, do it on their time, not on the taxpayers dime.  It would be a larger impact.
    You are seriously fucked up.  
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Libertarianism in action, folks :weary:
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    This isn't The Wall.  Children - and thankfully teachers too - are standing up.  Those who protest against the ones participating - as is your right - may there be tenfold supporting them.

I am proud to be one of them.
    unsung said:
    Let me guess you don’t have kids , man I feel for you the way I see you is that you spend a lot of time alone ? Or with just your rifles the problem is weapons don’t make you feel love unlike what I feel every single day true love from my two kids & family ...
    Bump it for the kids even if the idiot bafoon has totally lied to your faces it’s imperative this movement stays alive , I’ll be at the march here @stoneybrook on the 24th ...
    Locally kids that don’t want to participate are going to be herded into the auditorium.  They are being bullied into participating.  This is a orchestrated effort run by adults.  This is a scam.  The teachers are showing them where to line up outside as well.
    unsung said:
    Locally kids that don’t want to participate are going to be herded into the auditorium.  They are being bullied into participating.  This is a orchestrated effort run by adults.  This is a scam.  The teachers are showing them where to line up outside as well.
    This is from the principal of the middle school next door to MSD High School in Parkland. They are being told where to go for their safety. Hardly bullying...
    While WMS supports our students’ rights to make their voices heard and encourages peaceful and lawful protests, our concern is for the safety of our students. Parents, please talk with your children about the benefits and potential risks of walking out of school.

WMS has designated the field behind the school to be a safe zone for a student-led walkout. In the event that students walk out, supervision will be in place for the designated safe zone behind the school. 

Any violations of the Student Code of Conduct will be handled according to BCPS guidelines.

Students not participating in the walkout should remain in class with their teachers.
    unsung said:
    Stop already you are coming off really sad & pathetic , you never answered my ? Are you a parent ? 
    unsung said:
    If that's how it is where you live, that's unfortunate because in a lot of places, these walk outs are something the kids really believe in.  I also think there's an age factor.  When parents stick a sign in a 5 year old's hand and have her or him carry it around, I suspect the kid thinks it's a game and often has no real opinion on an issue.  But if the kid is older, especially middle and high school age, they often have real opinions, real concerns and a desire to be heard.   I say, let's listen to them.