Options

Radiohead tickets are $90 including fees

Comments

• Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,475
    There are a lot of acts that should be in the RnR HOF that aren’t, idk if Radiohead is one of them. 

Much like Tool, they are very prolific in the eyes of their fans, but to casual listeners, I don’t think they’re very accessible. 

Im a fan of both btw. 
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,351
    edited March 2018
    There are a lot of acts that should be in the RnR HOF that aren’t, idk if Radiohead is one of them. 

Much like Tool, they are very prolific in the eyes of their fans, but to casual listeners, I don’t think they’re very accessible. 

Im a fan of both btw. 
    I know that I am biased (and do not follow Tool) but I still think Radiohead is a pretty big deal in various rock "circles" and should not have been overlooked.

Jimmy V, I am sure that you are not full of shit but if you listened to modern rock radio in the mid/late nineties you would have almost certainly heard Karma Police (and Fake Plastic Trees, Just, and Paranoid Android) over the airwaves. As I believe you were implying, you just didn't put the titles to the songs themselves.
    Post edited by rummy on
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    The Bends is an INCREDIBLE album...
    absolutely love Fake Plastic Trees, High & Dry, Black Star and The Bends!!
    Hoping to hear a few of these when I see them in Columbus in July.
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    edited March 2018
    JimmyV said:
    rummy said:
    Since this is a Radiohead topic: How did you all feel about them getting snubbed by the RR Hall of Fame? I gotta admit that I thought it took away from its credibility somewhat - which kind of sucks seeing that PJ was just inducted last year.
    I don't say this to crap on Radiohead or their fans or anything like that. It's just a statement of truth. Other than Creep I couldn't name another Radiohead song.
    I'm not mad at you for not knowing the name of any other Radiohead songs!  But I also don't think that has a thing to do with whether they should be inducted to the RNR HOF or not.

First off, RNR HOF has lost a ton of credibility over the years due to them not inducting a LOT of people.  The criteria is basically your 1st album was released at least 25 yrs ago and there's evidence you had a notable influence on rock music as a genre.  There are SO MANY BANDS that fit that criteria that most would agree that - whether you actually like the band or not - enough major bands/artists cite those bands as big influences or as inspirations or say their worlds were changed by any of those bands, but the HOF just snubs them because they're not cool enough or now, they didn't get the popular vote.

All that said, I don't see how any serious studier of rock music can deny Radiohead's influence, again, whether you like them or not.  If you don't know them, that's cool.  But if you called yourself a music critic or worked for a major music publication, you wouldn't want to say that out loud, because you'd be run out of town.
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,748
    Favourite song by them is Exit Music. For those that have not given them a chance listen to Pyramid Song, Street Spirit, Paranoid Android, Idioteque, Fake Plastic Trees, Karma Police. They are not for everyone and sometimes songs need a couple of listens to click but they are a great band imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50rlHVe6g9Q
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    Favourite song by them is Exit Music. For those that have not given them a chance listen to Pyramid Song, Street Spirit, Paranoid Android, Idioteque, Fake Plastic Trees, Karma Police. They are not for everyone and sometimes songs need a couple of listens to click but they are a great band imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50rlHVe6g9Q
    Great list...I would add Airbag, LET DOWN, National Anthem, Everything in Its Right Place, How to Disappear Completely, I Might Be Wrong, There There, and Reckoner to your set of songs..
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    This is their master stroke -

https://youtu.be/fHiGbolFFGw
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,058
    I couldn't have confidently named an ELO, Joan Baez, or Nile Rodgers song before seeing their inductions last year. But I knew who they were, understood their contributions to popular music, and ultimately recognized their work once I heard it.
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,810
    JimmyV said:
    rummy said:
    Since this is a Radiohead topic: How did you all feel about them getting snubbed by the RR Hall of Fame? I gotta admit that I thought it took away from its credibility somewhat - which kind of sucks seeing that PJ was just inducted last year.
    I don't say this to crap on Radiohead or their fans or anything like that. It's just a statement of truth. Other than Creep I couldn't name another Radiohead song.
    They were one of the biggest bands in the world for a while. They have about six albums that are critically acclaimed and considered some of the most influential from the 90s and especially 2000s. They changed the industry by releasing an album by download only one week after the album was announced (this was in 2007- WAY before Beyoncé and others released surprise albums). Kid A is often named the best album to be released since 2000.

No they don’t have many hit singles, but they deserved to be first ballot hall of famers. They probably weren’t because they booked a show the night of the ceremony. In typical Radiohead fashion, they don’t give a shit about the RRHoF. 
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,810

Im a fan of both btw. 
    Ask 100 music critics to pick who is better- is guess 90 to 95 pick Radiohead. 
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• Options
    The website https://www.besteveralbums.com/topratedstats.php?o=album
    collects data from various rankings (assuming from somewhat reputable sources) and compiles an ultimate list of their own. Take this for what it's worth but Radiohead has the #1 album of the 1990s (OK Computer) and the #1 album of the 2000s (Kid A). They also have the #4 album of the 1990s (The Bends) and the #3 album is the 2000s (In Rainbows).

Again, take it for what it's worth. It is something, however.
  • Options
    JimmyV said:
    rummy said:
    They were one of the biggest bands in the world for a while. They have about six albums that are critically acclaimed and considered some of the most influential from the 90s and especially 2000s. They changed the industry by releasing an album by download only one week after the album was announced (this was in 2007- WAY before Beyoncé and others released surprise albums). Kid A is often named the best album to be released since 2000.

No they don’t have many hit singles, but they deserved to be first ballot hall of famers. They probably weren’t because they booked a show the night of the ceremony. In typical Radiohead fashion, they don’t give a shit about the RRHoF. 
    I did NOT know they did that, booked a show the night of the ceremony!  LOVE THEM EVEN MORE!!!!!
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    I couldn't have confidently named an ELO, Joan Baez, or Nile Rodgers song before seeing their inductions last year. But I knew who they were, understood their contributions to popular music, and ultimately recognized their work once I heard it.
    That's a great point.  The vast majority of music fans in the world probably couldn't name specific songs by most of the early influence RNR HOF inductees like Jimmy Yancey, Jimmie Rodgers, Big Joe Turner, Clyde McPhatter, Louis Jordan, all inducted in the 1st 2 classes of 1986 and 1987.  But just because most music fans have no idea who they are or can't name a song doesn't take away at all from the very real and major roles they played in laying the foundation for the music that would come to be known as "rock and roll".  Those paying attention or who were there or who've studied it or who went on to be later major influences who were influenced by them know.

And that's ok, music fans don't have to know or care or be experts.  It's just important to understand that just because you haven't heard of the band or you don't understand the influence, doesn't mean the influence on the genre isn't real and significant.

All that said, when there are limited spots every year for induction, the RNR HOF voting body has proven that there can be a lot of disagreement about who is "more deserving" and who's time is when.  And some major deciders (like Jann Wenner of Rolling Stone) used to sometimes be able to block a band or insist on a band just based on personal opinion of the value or lack of value of that artist, although now with the public vote counting too I don't know how much 1 key player can affect the final outcome.  The behind the scenes at the HOF deciding on inductees sounds like a major sausage factory "you don't wanna know the details" type of situation, from what I've heard.
  • Options
    Radiohead is certainly a matter of taste- I could never choose between PJ and Radiohead bc they are SO DIFFERENT and equally beloved. But like someone said ahead, to deny their credibility and impact on the music world is kinda of... dare I say... ignorant- SORRY!!! I really mean that in the nicest way poss- ignorance IS BLISS after all but....  Go to a show!!! Its a GAME CHANGER- MUCH LIKE PJ, its an experience.  And anyone who appreciates and loves PJ would certainly at least appreciate RH after seeing them live.  That said, there are many RH songs I even have a hard time getting into- and they are my favorite band- or second favorite AHHHH hard to say!!! I don't even discredit Bon Jovi- if you watch footage of their shows in the 80s its hard to discredit their impact as well on the music of their time at least.  If it weren't for bands like Janes Addiction, Nirvana, PJ and Radiohead... we may all still be listening to hair metal ourselves hahah 
    Sidebar- let us not forget about Talk Show Host too- such an amazing gem of a song- thrills my core!!! Can Not wait for July chomping at the bit!!!
  • Options
    riley540riley540 Denver Colorado Posts: 1,128
    I saw metallica last summer and I was honestly a bit let down. They don’t rotate their set lists enough and I feel like it’s more of a manufactured production. Herfields pipes and lars’ drumming have also seen better days. An easy pass this time around. 
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Radiohead fucking kills it live. So much going on. In rainbows in actually my favorite of their studio records. Go see live music!
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,507
    How can you not love OK Computer?! 
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    Nice to see so much support for Radiohead on The Porch. As stated by others earlier, there'a no need to compare them to PJ ... aside from coming onto the scene at the same time, they are very different from each other (but both miles ahead of so many). 

A 20-song Intro Playlist:
    1. Creep
    2. Just
    3. Fake Plastic Trees
    4. Street Spirit
    5. Paranoid Android
    6. Karma Police
    7. No Surprises 
    8. Let Down
    9. Airbag
    10. National Anthem 
    11. Idioteque
    12. Everything in Its Right Place
    13. How To Disappear Completely
    14. Optimistic 
    15. Pyramid Song
    16. I Might Be Wrong
    17. There There
    18. Reckoner
    19. Weird FIshes
    20. Exit Music (initially forgot this one)
  • Options
    NWOntarioNWOntario Toronto Posts: 823
    edited March 2018
    I don't love Radiohead, but I appreciate them for how they obliterated people's expectations of them and their sound following OK Computer. That took guts. I tend to gravitate towards artists who follow their muses, even when the results are uneven ('sup, Chris Cornell?). There's courage in that, and I appreciate that.
    Also, "Pulk/Pull Revolving Doors" is the best Radiohead song don't @ me
    Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022
  • Options
    100 Pacer said:
    How can you not love OK Computer?! 
    I think it might be my favourite album of all time.
  • Options
    kaw753kaw753 Posts: 752
    rummy said:
    The story goes that they purposely scheduled their South American tour so that they could not possibly make the RR Hall of Fame induction ceremony to see what the Hall would do.

I am a casual fan (who had tickets to the show in Toronto where the drum tech died), but Myxomatosis has always been my favourite.
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,475
    I stopped taking the RnR HOF seriously when they didn’t induct Jethro Tull. 
  • Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    toasted bacon sandwiches are the bomb. nothing comes close
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,114
    JimmyV said:
    rummy said:

Just 'cause you don't  feel it
    Doesn't mean it's not there
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,114
    rummy said:
    Radiohead is a notoriously hard ticket to score at face, in NYC- Ive had a way harder time seeing them than I have PJ. That said I could easily buy a new car with the money Ive spent seeing them both.  Was stuck in the que for 20 minutes only to get nosebleeds for tuesday and a single for wednesday that took me hours. Still looking for Friday but I'll prob search for a decent single for that for $$$$ I'm sure closer to showtime.  This summer is Incredible in the music department- I feel very fortunate all my fave bands are playing, a very fortunate broke person  ;)
    I'm sure I've posted this in another thread, but this summer is indeed a dream come true if you are a fan of 1990's (alternative/indie) music.
    Agreed! Its really unbelievable- PJ, Radiohead, Foo, Weezer, Pixies, Jack White even Slayer and Ozzy are playing this summer last tours! All my faves- wish they didn't ALL go on sale the SAME DAMN TIME- but wow, what a summer it will be! I am flabbergasted about Radiohead AND PJ tho- it doesn't get better than that for me.

Last? Ozzy, yes. Others?
  • Options
    wall232wall232 New York Posts: 1,346
    rummy said:
    Radiohead is a notoriously hard ticket to score at face, in NYC- Ive had a way harder time seeing them than I have PJ. That said I could easily buy a new car with the money Ive spent seeing them both.  Was stuck in the que for 20 minutes only to get nosebleeds for tuesday and a single for wednesday that took me hours. Still looking for Friday but I'll prob search for a decent single for that for $$$$ I'm sure closer to showtime.  This summer is Incredible in the music department- I feel very fortunate all my fave bands are playing, a very fortunate broke person  ;)
    I'm sure I've posted this in another thread, but this summer is indeed a dream come true if you are a fan of 1990's (alternative/indie) music.
    Agreed! Its really unbelievable- PJ, Radiohead, Foo, Weezer, Pixies, Jack White even Slayer and Ozzy are playing this summer last tours! All my faves- wish they didn't ALL go on sale the SAME DAMN TIME- but wow, what a summer it will be! I am flabbergasted about Radiohead AND PJ tho- it doesn't get better than that for me.

Last? Ozzy, yes. Others?
    Slayer is doing their last tour....for now.

NYPJ
  • Options
    ConorKavanaghConorKavanagh Ireland Posts: 1,148
    I've seen Radiohead twice, and both times they were amazing. The first time was on the In Rainbows tour in 2008, and then I saw them last year. I bought Kid A the day it came out, listened to it once, then put it on a shelf for about 5 years. In the space of time that passed, I was ready.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    i butter both pieces of bread/toast for my bacon sandwich
  • Options
    ConorKavanaghConorKavanagh Ireland Posts: 1,148
    Do you ever put crisps in there as well? I think toasted is the only way to go on that front as well. The more butter the better, and cheese as well.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
  • Options
    is there anyone who doesn't like cheese?
    bacon and cheese definitely go togetherx10