Social media warnings from people who helped build it

Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
edited February 2018 in A Moving Train
Very enlightening on how they use psychological triggers to create dopamine releases to get you addicted, they also talk about how it's destroying society 
https://youtu.be/39RS3XbT2pU
Post edited by Big Bank Hank on

Comments

• lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,708
    edited February 2018
    I  proud to not use any of social media. I haven't for 3 years and its liberating. At first its isolating. But now im elated to not use it or want it. And people who do look like sheep in my view now. Take a step back see it. It really is all bad.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    edited February 2018
    Its nice to be right for once . Ive been saying exactly this for years to friends family. Who are blind to the misery it all causes our kids are mentally ill solely from this plague
    Post edited by lastexitlondon on
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
    Its nice to right for once . Ive been saying exactly this for years to friends family. Who are blind to the misery it all causes our kids are mentally ill solely from this plague
    I am thinking about quitting Twitter and only using Facebook for upcoming Pearl Jam shows 
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    Wow, really great video, BBH.  Thanks for putting it up there. 

It's amazing and very cool to see that some of the people that created, encouraged and promoted the worst aspects of social media have recognized the monster they created and are saying something worthwhile about it.  Excellent.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:
    Wow, really great video, BBH.  Thanks for putting it up there. 

It's amazing and very cool to see that some of the people that created, encouraged and promoted the worst aspects of social media have recognized the monster they created and are saying something worthwhile about it.  Excellent.
    yes, it's hard to be living behind a computer screen

• I found pj hard at first so many contacts lost. So many good souls gone. That's why i came here. To find them again. But when you have someones phone number or email you can arrange meet ups. And when i get to the queue in London i will jnow many people and have many long hugs and chats in real life. I love that best
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

I found pj hard at first so many contacts lost. So many good souls gone. That's why i came here. To find them again. But when you have someones phone number or email you can arrange meet ups. And when i get to the queue in London i will jnow many people and have many long hugs and chats in real life. I love that best
    I wish I could be there myself.  I hope you get to meet lots of good fellow fans!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

brianlux said:
    I found pj hard at first so many contacts lost. So many good souls gone. That's why i came here. To find them again. But when you have someones phone number or email you can arrange meet ups. And when i get to the queue in London i will jnow many people and have many long hugs and chats in real life. I love that best
    I wish I could be there myself.  I hope you get to meet lots of good fellow fans!
    the pre parties are great if you aren't in GA, it's a great place to meet other fans
  • I made friends with all.the polish fans who became like a family
     I see them all over Europe and im sadly unwell this year but i have 2 home town shows to go too one with my middle daughter 1st show so i have a goal and a dream to aim for.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

Did anyone else watch the OP video?  I thought it was great and well worth the time to watch!

I did. Very very good
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited March 2018
    I  proud to not use any of social media. I haven't for 3 years and its liberating. At first its isolating. But now im elated to not use it or want it. And people who do look like sheep in my view now. Take a step back see it. It really is all bad.
    I'm no champion for social media - I think it now seems mostly like a failed social experiment - but I don't think you should be SO judgmental about individuals who use it (most people), and I completely disagree that is it "all bad" or that everyone who uses it is a "sheep" - that is way too general a concept to apply the way you just did. There are many people whose lives were literally saved via social media, and many others whose lives were made much better through it, one way or another. There is also a MASSIVE amount of charity that happens via social media, as well as honest to god important political movements. It definitely is not "all bad". But yeah, I do think there are some pretty profound problems stemming from it for sure.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    Isn't this medium we are on considered Social Media?
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Lol, yes. I just assumed lastexitlondon only meant facebook and Twitter and Instagram and those types of things, not message boards.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Was  going to ask the same thing.  I think yes!

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I think technology and the resulting exposure to what, millions?, have progressed quicker than many can adapt to...plus it seems to be relied upon by some as a form of receiving validation and compliments.  And lashing out.  It also seems to have become presenting a facade, vs. honesty - vs. just being yourself, really.

This is the only social platform in which I participate and aside from the occasional oddballs, assholes, etc. (just like in non-digital life!), it's been beneficial for me in many many ways.  When I feel it's not, I step away or ignore.

And, as was mentioned above, the outpouring of assistance to those to legitimately need it is a reflection of the human beauty that can't be ignored.
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    No surprise.  I have also read that the top tech guys in silicon valley limit their children's computer time as well...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    facebook has become a clusterfuck of ads and suggested posts that have zero to do with me. it's become unbearable to sift through. 

twitter, on the other hand, has allowed me to legitimately interact with musicians that I admire. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    many of the social justice movements of the last few years wouldn't have had nearly the impact or participation they had if it weren't for social media. it's a fabulous tool for organizing. 

but, like anything in the first world, we consume way more than we should. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Same here ... Facebook, twitter. Instagram pretty much suck...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    I only post here these days i gave up on Faceturd i find it to be one giant bragging site ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    Instagram is so bad.  Twitter and facebook suck.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    I've often wondered, why so many different form of social media?
    My Space
    FaceBook
    Instagram
    Twitter
    Tumblr
    WeChat
    QZone
    WhatsApp
    QQ
    Google+
    Baidu Tieba
    Sina Weibo
    LINE
    SnapChat
    YY
    Vkontakti
    Pinterest
    LinkedIn
    Telegram
    Reddit
    Taringa
    Foursquare
    Renren
    Tagged
    Badoo
    StumbleUpon
    The Dots
    Kiwibox
    Skyrock
    Snapfish

Shall I go on (there are at least 60)?  Maybe we need just one more called WhatTheFuck.

It's all ego massage rubbish to me 
     Thats my opinion. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07