Tool

Comments

• pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Wake me up when it's actually released
  • my2hands said:
    Ok. You’ll probably be asleep until 2021
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    my2hands said:
    Kinda how I see it at this point.  When the CD is finally in my hands and I'm listening to it, I might still be in doubt that it's actually been released.
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    I hope they never actually release a new album because it would disappoint me to no degree. I have not been a fan of the new APC stuff and just don't feel like they could even put out a "Tool" type album anymore. 10,000 days was borderline to begin with for me and showed they were running out of steam with some of their stuff. I liked it, but it was definitely subpar for them.
    It's a hopeless situation...
    Come to think of it, at this point I would actually rank Billy Corgan higher than Maynard on a scale of likability. Maynard is a raging narcissist.
  • FrankY59FrankY59 Posts: 1,048
    tbergs said:
    I hope they never actually release a new album because it would disappoint me to no degree. I have not been a fan of the new APC stuff and just don't feel like they could even put out a "Tool" type album anymore. 10,000 days was borderline to begin with for me and showed they were running out of steam with some of their stuff. I liked it, but it was definitely subpar for them.
    I think 11 years is more then enough time to put out what is really a Tool album.  Your less then stellar view of 10,000 days is more a product of following greatness that is Lateralus.

I don’t think APC has anything to do with Tool.  Maynard is a lyricist for the most part with Tool.  He has stated multiple times he’s not the reason new music hasn’t been released yet.  In due time...
  • I like 10,000 Days.

I'm genuinely confused by the amount of hatred it receives.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • I like 10,000 Days.

Same. 
  • FrankY59FrankY59 Posts: 1,048
    I like 10,000 Days.

Lyrically it’s phenomenal, specifically Vicarious and Wings for Marie.  It is typical tool overall with fillers and something loud ie Rosetta Stoned.  It’s just tough to follow Lateralus.  I love the album.
  • ConorKavanaghConorKavanagh Ireland Posts: 1,148
    Everything Tool have put out is amazing in my opinion. However I can see why someone might rate 10,000 Days a little bit lower than its predecessors. I just really hope this record finally makes it out this year and that perhaps they come to Ireland for the first time since 2006 again.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    I like 10,000 Days.

yeah I don't get it...Rosetta Stoned was worth it by itself.  Great album
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    I like 10,000 Days.

Maybe the filler tracks set people off, don't know. Jambi is one of my favorite songs, never get tired of it
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • I like 10,000 Days.

Maybe the filler tracks set people off, don't know. Jambi is one of my favorite songs, never get tired of it

Same... Jambi is definitely in my top 10 Tool songs. 

10K Days isn't their best album, but it's a relative scale. When you set the bar as high as Tool has, there are bound to be some disappointed people at some point. (12+ years between albums doesn't help either)

• FrankY59 said:
    I like 10,000 Days.

Lyrically it’s phenomenal, specifically Vicarious and Wings for Marie.  It is typical tool overall with fillers and something loud ie Rosetta Stoned.  It’s just tough to follow Lateralus.  I love the album.
    The drums in Rosetta Stoned and Right in Two are nothing short of a masterpiece.

I know I'll be in the minority when I say I liked 10,000 days more than Lateralus...  I mean The Pot, Jambi, Vicarious, all great songs.

Thread integrity, TOOL should have enough pent up music to do a double album.
    I just felt like 10,000 Days had way too much noise and mumbling and not enough "real songs" if you know what I mean.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,850
    I just felt like 10,000 Days had way too much noise and mumbling and not enough "real songs" if you know what I mean.
    I dissected the instruments on this one and enjoyed it more than the previous albums.  Picking up the time changes made me appreciate more but again, that's just me.
    I dissected the instruments on this one and enjoyed it more than the previous albums.  Picking up the time changes made me appreciate more but again, that's just me.
    Rosetta Stoned for me... amazing musical song.  But the totally incoherent "babadabbababbadabbababbadabbababadabba" whatever the hell Maynard is saying for the lyrics just kinda kills the vibe for me.   Then you have Wings which is just a bunch of whispering, same with Intension and the first half of Right in Two.  It just felt like for an album with 11 tracks there were only 3 actual songs. The rest was just jamming and not hearing or understanding Maynard.
    Rosetta Stoned for me... amazing musical song.  But the totally incoherent "babadabbababbadabbababbadabbababadabba" whatever the hell Maynard is saying for the lyrics just kinda kills the vibe for me.   Then you have Wings which is just a bunch of whispering, same with Intension and the first half of Right in Two.  It just felt like for an album with 11 tracks there were only 3 actual songs. The rest was just jamming and not hearing or understanding Maynard.
    have you read the lyrics though?  genius

Yeah, I'm with Dyer. A lot of great lyrics, but I have to be in the right mood and be willing to be patient with that album. They sounded awesome when there were a) lyrics and b) lyrics you could hear. Wings For Marie/10,000 Days has an awesome build that gives a short pay off, but it's a lot to sit through. Right in Two is amazing, musically and lyrically, but they could have cut an EP instead of the bloat they put out on that one. Vicarious and Jambi are just too similar for me as well, especially back-to-back.

On a side note, I also love Creature of the Wheel from White Zombie, but you can only hear every other verse and most of the album wasn't that way so it wasn't an issue. It's a novelty that wears off now that I'm older.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    I find that the best parts of 10k Day are rehashed ideas from earlier albums, often placed in a different context, sometimes not. I was totally immersed in the guitar playing of Adam Jones around the time of 10k Days and the following years. I could literally play their entire catalog and can still hack my way through a large portion after 3 or 4 years of not playing it. Almost every riff appears more than once in their catalog and to me 10k Days disguises it least.

Having said that, I think it’s still a pretty strong album. I just don’t think it has the peaks or consistency of the earlier albums.
    I have and I really enjoy the story. But it is utterly impossible to understand about 99% of it in the song.
  • SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    edited March 2018
    I have and I really enjoy the story. But it is utterly impossible to understand about 99% of it in the song.
    That's the whole point right? The doctors and the listeners are barely able to make sense of this guy's recent DMT trip. The patient is trying to explain what he's just been through, but it's utter chaos.
    Post edited by SmallestOceans on
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958
    That's the whole point right? The doctors and the listeners are barely able to make sense of this guy's recent DMT trip. The patient is trying to explain what he's just been through, but it's utter chaos.
    With you guys all the way on the recorded version. Have seen them play it live a couple times and they really struggle to get those vocals right in the mix. A lot of it gets buried and becomes a mostly instrumental piece. Really tricky.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,850
    Via FB.

TOOL RECORDING NEWS!

Who’s ready for some major breaking news? Brace yourself; get ready… okay, here we go. We are very excited to announce what is sure to be welcome news for both fans of TOOL and prog-metal enthusiasts in general. After all the years of writing and arranging (and re-arranging) at the band’s loft, I can at this time officially report that the guys have moved into a major studio where the recording process for the next album is about to begin in earnest. For the past few days the band members have been getting sonically adjusted to their new surroundings - dialing in the equipment settings and restaurant catering choices - in preparation for Danny to begin his tracking any time now – perhaps by the time that you read this!

I am also excited to announce that ‘evil’ JOE BARRESI will once again have his capable fingers at the engineering controls for what will certainly be another masterful TOOL offering by the talented team. Pinch yourself if you want, but I have been told that all systems are GO at this point for the upcoming sessions.

I will be posting periodic bits and pieces on the progress of the tracking once the guys get deeper into the recording process, and hope that all of you will keep checking back to the official website for these updates. In the meantime, be sure to also visit the individual band members’ sites and socials (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc.) for more inside glimpses as TOOL prepares for the next stage in their musical odyssey.

• Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,384
    Via FB.

TOOL RECORDING NEWS!

Who’s ready for some major breaking news? Brace yourself; get ready… okay, here we go. We are very excited to announce what is sure to be welcome news for both fans of TOOL and prog-metal enthusiasts in general. After all the years of writing and arranging (and re-arranging) at the band’s loft, I can at this time officially report that the guys have moved into a major studio where the recording process for the next album is about to begin in earnest. For the past few days the band members have been getting sonically adjusted to their new surroundings - dialing in the equipment settings and restaurant catering choices - in preparation for Danny to begin his tracking any time now – perhaps by the time that you read this!

I am also excited to announce that ‘evil’ JOE BARRESI will once again have his capable fingers at the engineering controls for what will certainly be another masterful TOOL offering by the talented team. Pinch yourself if you want, but I have been told that all systems are GO at this point for the upcoming sessions.

I will be posting periodic bits and pieces on the progress of the tracking once the guys get deeper into the recording process, and hope that all of you will keep checking back to the official website for these updates. In the meantime, be sure to also visit the individual band members’ sites and socials (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc.) for more inside glimpses as TOOL prepares for the next stage in their musical odyssey.

Love it. I’m hoping for more tour dates in the fall too.
  • SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    So we have another 1.5-2 years before this thing is ever getting released, great. :lol:
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Wake me up when it's done and I can buy it