The Food Thread

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Bison burgers
    Black bean soup
    Salad
    Leftover bok choy
    I made the rolls from Pillsbury croissants that I just folded over.  
    That shit was gross and good at the same time.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited February 2018
    I ate at the residence dining hall today for lunch, and it's surprisingly excellent. $10, and you can have anything you want and as much as you want. They have a truly top notch salad bar, you can make your own waffles, plus hot service with chicken, beef, and veggie burgers that are surprisingly good, with all the toppings that you can add yourself, plus pasta dishes, plus various other hot dishes - today it was Korean stir fry with rice, and pulled pork - a fresh sandwich bar, a do it yourself omelette bar, 3 kinds of pizza, and a dessert bar, and of course coffee, hot chocolate, tea, and a soda fountain. And since it's reading week and the place is dead, there was a $5 promo deal. Today I had an amazing salad, a really good jalapeno cheese burger, and a slice of pesto tomato pizza. And a chocolate almond cookie. For $5! What a deal! :tongue: I really should go there more often. I hardly ever do, but I don't know why. It's right close to my office on campus too, like a 3 minute walk, and I can eat really healthy for super cheap. There was nothing even remotely close to such a place when I was a student - kids these days have it so good, lol.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    One of my coworkers made an enchilada bake and gave me a big chunk of it.  Damn good stuff!
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Who roasts a chicken at 9 in the morning?
    (Planned on dinner and plans changed, figured I'd cook it anyway)

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Looks delish!  Roast chicken is where every aspiring cook should start.
    One of my hens went missing a few days ago.
    She was the worst chicken ever...rarely layed, disrupted the flock, shit in the nest and ate a bunch of eggs out of the nest.  She wouldn't have been a good roaster, but she would have made a nice soup.  Figures she gets herself carried off and fully deprives me of return on investment for feeding her for almost a year.  Damn Ethel.

Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    Bummer about your bird!

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Do you have one named Lucy, gambs?

F Me, are those garlic cloves in there?  I could make a meal of just that, with some crusty bread.
    No Lucy.
    Ethel (RIP)
    Alma
    Gertrude (Gertie)
    Bertrude (Bertie)
    Mavis
    Mabel
    Yes the cloves in the skillet and lemons up the birds ass.  Otherwise just skin seasonings.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Chicken looks awesome.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Big things. Big Things

Homemade Parmesan and cracked black pepper crackers. With burrata (not homemade)

Endive, arugula and radicchio salad with an amazing pine nut, honey, lemon, olive oil dressing

orecchiette with lamb sausage, pancetta, Fava beans, peas and mint.

That salad looks awesome
  • kce8kce8 Posts: 1,636
    rgambs said:
    No Lucy.
    Ethel (RIP)
    Alma
    Gertrude (Gertie)
    Bertrude (Bertie)
    Mavis
    Mabel
    :lol:  Great names! 
    Do you have German roots? 
    I do, I come from Yeagers and Kneipps!
    My paternal Grandfather was adopted and origin unknown, but my maternal Great Grandparents were turn of the century German immigrants.
  • kce8kce8 Posts: 1,636
    Hey that's very interesting!
    So Yeager is probably the American version of Jaeger. 
    I already heard of a few people here with German roots and I really like it! Your family history must be so exciting.
    Not very exciting or interesting lol

I've got a rack of ribs in the smoker and I'm about to whip up some Cole slaw, yum!
    Pictures are reversed of course, top is finished.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Mmm, looks good.
    Had dim sum for lunch and a pastrami (Russian dressing, coleslaw, Swiss on rye) Sammy for dinner.  
    Good food day.
  • hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    dankind said:
    Wow, looks delicious! Chili? And are those bay leaves that I see? If so, never thought to add those to chili. I make a mean lentil and purple cabbage soup with the super star ingredient being three bay leaves. I always have to warn people to search their bowl and remove the bay leaf before eating. I never seem to find those bad boys once the soup is ready to serve.
    dankind said:
    Wow, looks delicious! Chili? And are those bay leaves that I see? If so, never thought to add those to chili. I make a mean lentil and purple cabbage soup with the super star ingredient being three bay leaves. I always have to warn people to search their bowl and remove the bay leaf before eating. I never seem to find those bad boys once the soup is ready to serve.
    Yeah, chili. It should be ready to eat by supper time tomorrow. I add at least one bay leaf to anything that needs to stew for a while. 

The kids will probably hate it because my chili has flavor. My wife makes it bland for the kids, but she wanted me to make it this time. (She was busy whipping up some lemon ricotta gnocchi from scratch for tonight’s supper.)

Oh, well. Going to bed hungry builds character. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    ^ Ha ha! My child is so picky right now that she seems to only eat foods raw or frozen. Frozen peas straight from the freezer still ice cold.. Crunchy uncooked noodles and rice... She definitely doesn't eat my chili or soups these days. Uhhh.

Lemon ricotta gnocchi?? Yes please :)
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832

I just got home after 2 weeks in India. Food was amazing. Lots of vegetarian dishes in the North and then I loaded up on seafood when I went down to Goa.
    I normally dig into street food but I didn't have the balls in India. I met a guy early in my trip who ate a street stall samosa and was near death for 5 days. I just didn't have the time to risk it.
    cool!
    Kids hated the chili. Too spicy. Assholes. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    It is IHOP's free short-stack pancake day, and here I am with an apple and cheese :angry:

eddiec, I wouldn't have the balls either.  My nephew was there recently and loved both the experience and the food.
  • ponytdponytd Nashville Posts: 653
    Man all this stuff you guys make looks and sounds delicious. Last night for dinner I made a roasted turkey breast tenderloin. Seasoned it with some garlic and herb seasoning and a little cajun seasoning, seared it in the pan then finished it off in the oven for about 20min. Once that was done, I removed it from the pan and added a little more olive oil and threw in some Brussel sprouts with some chopped bacon, minced garlic and truffle oil. I usually make the Brussel sprouts in a separate cast iron skillet, but decided to use the baked in tenderloin brown bits on the bottom of the pan to see how that turned out this time. Pretty solid
    That sounds awesome (perhaps minus truffle oil) -- Sprouts done well are amazing.
    At the Reading Terminal Market on Sunday the wife and 3 year old had some turkey breast from a place that specializes in it. 
    When it is moist it is amazingly good. 

(OK Hedo, Daniel, whomever else...make the moist joke now.  :lol:)
    That sounds awesome (perhaps minus truffle oil) -- Sprouts done well are amazing.
    At the Reading Terminal Market on Sunday the wife and 3 year old had some turkey breast from a place that specializes in it. 
    When it is moist it is amazingly good. 

(OK Hedo, Daniel, whomever else...make the moist joke now.  :lol:)
    =)

I've never met a Sprout I liked.  I've tried, too.

(They're the vegetable equivalent of my herbal nemesis, cilantro.)