Smashing Pumpkins!

Comments

• PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171
    I've just always figured when the band was good or bad was dependent on how good Billy was writing the tunes (in addition to Jimmy on the drums). I've never thought James or darcy were really important to what made the band great. It all came down to Billys song writing. 

Same for me. As long as Billy has Jimmy on drums, the rest of the band is immaterial.

In fact much of the bass (and a lot of what is presumed to be James' guitar) we hear on record is Billy anyway:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/butch_vig_billy_corgan_recorded_90_of_guitars__bass_on_smashing_pumpkins_albums.html

This weekend we rock Portland
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,943
    I've just always figured when the band was good or bad was dependent on how good Billy was writing the tunes (in addition to Jimmy on the drums). I've never thought James or darcy were really important to what made the band great. It all came down to Billys song writing. 

Maybe Billy's best writing happens when he loathes his bandmate? :)
    Kind of feel bad for knocking on Billy, but felt I expressed me reasons why the tour is struggling to sell tickets.

Working on an assignment today and listening to the last time I saw the pumpkins live.  January 8, 1997 at GM Place in Vancouver.   Always thought it was cool a soundboard leaked from the show.   They sound amazing on the recording, and it's hard to believe how big and awesome they were back then:

https://archive.org/details/tsp1997-01-08.flac16

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Zod said:
    Kind of feel bad for knocking on Billy, but felt I expressed me reasons why the tour is struggling to sell tickets.

Working on an assignment today and listening to the last time I saw the pumpkins live.  January 8, 1997 at GM Place in Vancouver.   Always thought it was cool a soundboard leaked from the show.   They sound amazing on the recording, and it's hard to believe how big and awesome they were back then:

Still amazing even without JC on the kit. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,876
    I know some of the smaller markets haven't sold well, but Chicago is nearly sold out.  Glad I grabbed a great pair.  Looking forward to this.  I think Billy knows he'll have to bring what people want to sell some of these venues.

Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Zod said:

Thanks for sharing. Awesome setlist and solid performance. I would probably go if they could pull of a performance like this one yet and have a similar setlist. Never seen them live.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175

based on the list of songs Billy leaked, I think this will be a Infinite Sadness tour Version II

for anyone that didn't see them on that tour... you need to get tix this time.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    Picked up some $30 nose bleeds for Baltimore. But with the way the show is selling, I may be getting a free upgrade.  
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,617
    Just read an article on the poor ticket sales on NME.... good LORD, I mean theres poor sales, and then theres this.  I went to look out of my own curiosity and saw that I can purchase 3rd row seats for 550 each... and I didn't feel bad for them anymore.  Pretty high hopes for a band that didn't even sell out a small theatre down the road in Akron, OH last year.
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
    edited February 2018
    I also saw the NME Article.  Basically in the cities with astronomical populations (10 million+) like Chicago, LA, New York etc...   They're sell more briskly.. because they're huge markets and there are more people to buy tickets.   Anywhere else though.. not so much.

I dunno.. listening to that bootleg does make me want to go in hopes it's a goodshow, but I don't know anyone who still has any interest in the Pumpkins.   Plus it's in Seattle, so that adds up quite a bit when you factor in foreign exchange, ferries, expensive Seattle hotels...  I'll do that for PJ, but the Pumpkins.. its an easier to sell to friends if it's in Vancouver.

Post edited by Zod on
  • timdwillitimdwilli Los Angeles, CA Posts: 294
    Heavy overpricing combined with huge venues was bound to be a disaster. I feel like even these arenas would sell at reasonable prices, but $100+ before fees for some of the upper level seats? Please. Conversely, $150 face in theaters and clubs...instant sellouts and extra shows added. Glad I took the advice of some earlier posters and decided to just ride it out and buy on stubhub closer to the show. The Temple of the Dog show at the Forum was almost an instant sell out and there were tickets for $10 the week of the show, so definitely should be able to score well below face for this
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    ^ yep.  Normally I’d cave and buy tickets if I didnt’t buy them right away initially but with this tour what happens if I don’t end up getting tickets? I miss the smashing pumpkins.  I don’t think i’ll feel that bad about that.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • JH57554JH57554 Posts: 245
    I have a theory that the public feud with D'arcy was a ruse and a few days before the tour begins, they're going to do a warm-up show with all four them onstage and create a huge demand for these unsold tickets.  Or, the feud was real but Billy will make up with her before the tour starts and she'll be on tour and he'll claim it was a ruse.
  • timdwillitimdwilli Los Angeles, CA Posts: 294
    they just announced a second LA show and ticketmaster pulled all the available seats for the first one. no idea what is going on with that insanity, but my tickets for this are gonna be dirt cheap!
  • DC29940DC29940 Tucson, AZ Posts: 630
    JH57554 said:
    I have a theory that the public feud with D'arcy was a ruse and a few days before the tour begins, they're going to do a warm-up show with all four them onstage and create a huge demand for these unsold tickets.  Or, the feud was real but Billy will make up with her before the tour starts and she'll be on tour and he'll claim it was a ruse.
    Funny, I had the exact same thought the other day. 
    Kansas City 7.03.98
    St. Louis 10.11.00
    Kansas City 10.12.00
    St. Louis 4.22.03
    Kansas City 6.12.03
    St. Louis 10.5.04
    Kansas City 5.3.10
    Phoenix (EV) 11.4.12
    Phoenix 11.19.13
    Wrigley 1 8.20.16
    Seattle 1 8.8.18
    Phoenix 4.11.20
    Phoenix 5.9.22
    Indianapolis 9.10.23
    Indianapolis 8.26.24
  • JH57554 said:
    Jeff Schroeder and Billy are pretty tight.  They are publicizing his name alot with this tour.  I don't think Billy would string him along like this if he ultimately was planning on tossing him aside.  To me, it makes no difference if D'arcy is involved or not.
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    edited February 2018
    I dont really think Darcy is gonna move all those unsold tickets. 
    JH57554 said:
    Jeff Schroeder and Billy are pretty tight.  They are publicizing his name alot with this tour.  I don't think Billy would string him along like this if he ultimately was planning on tossing him aside.  To me, it makes no difference if D'arcy is involved or not.
    Sure, but are they publicizing him as the bass player, third guitarist, or is it intentionally vague?
    The sum is greater than it's equal parts.

I'm just spitballing here for fun, FYI.  I'm not emotionally invested or anything, just having fun speculating online.  I'm curious about the show and am hoping to find a cheap ticket the day of, but if my theory is correct I'll be much more eager to find a ticket and see the original lineup again and see how they've aged.
  • kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,594
    I wish they would just reissue the greatest hits.
  • JH57554 said:
    JH57554 said:
    Sure, but are they publicizing him as the bass player, third guitarist, or is it intentionally vague?
    Jeff has already been confirmed as the third guitarist.

• They are so hit or miss... sometimes the sound is awful and off, could be the venue.  His voice is still amazing tho- seen him solo couple years ago and he was great.  Is the original band all back for this tour? I haven't even had a chance to look into it with all of these other 90s announcements taking precedence of my bank account haha
    No Darcy, but everyone else. Setlist made up up of mainly the good jams (pre-2000) and some unnecessary new covers.

• DC29940DC29940 Tucson, AZ Posts: 630
    On Monday almost the entire arena was available for the tour opener in Glendale/Phoenix, today there are relatively very few seats left. Either people finally realized this was on sale, or the brokers decided to buy them up. I'm guessing the latter, but was still surprised to all of a sudden see all the blue dots disappear on the Ticketmaster map.
    Kansas City 7.03.98
    St. Louis 10.11.00
    Kansas City 10.12.00
    St. Louis 4.22.03
    Kansas City 6.12.03
    St. Louis 10.5.04
    Kansas City 5.3.10
    Phoenix (EV) 11.4.12
    Phoenix 11.19.13
    Wrigley 1 8.20.16
    Seattle 1 8.8.18
    Phoenix 4.11.20
    Phoenix 5.9.22
    Indianapolis 9.10.23
    Indianapolis 8.26.24
    Maybe they pulled them down because of all the negative stories. They can throw them back up piecemeal because its still 4 months until the tour starts.

kramer73 said:
    On vinyl
  • kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,594
    kramer73 said:
    On vinyl
    of course!
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171
    edited February 2018
    Maybe they pulled them down because of all the negative stories. They can throw them back up piecemeal because its still 4 months until the tour starts.

Yeah they were taken down by TM/Live Nation. Just look at the layout of what's left, full rows, then a couple empty rows, then full rows etc. etc. No way they were bought that way. 
    they are trying to make it look like a better seller than it is and probably pulled some down to give to radio stations for give aways etc.

Edit: Looks like they did similar in Boston, no way they sold that many tix since yesterday when I last looked.
    Post edited by Poncier on
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • I couldn't be happier that Chicago sold out.  I would have never guessed it.  Curious how the 2nd show will sell, but I have my tickets for the first night and I have no doubt Billy will be bringing it for his hometown show.  Cant Wait!!!!
    Not any more.. no...   I think the Darcy thing was more about Billy turning things around and band genuinely getting back together.  If it had been the original lineup back together, I think the general public would perceive it differently (like thinking Billy has turn over a new leaf.. kind of thing).  Instead it feels like more of the same old....  I don't think adding her back at this point would do to much.. allthough I'd probably change my and go.