Greta Van Fleet

ski-bumski-bum Boston Posts: 1,010
edited October 2018 in Other Music

I'm excited because I've just grabbed floor tickets to see GVF for night1 @ the House of Blues in Boston in July.
Some people have been calling them a Zepplin rip-off. Sure, the singer's voice sounds like Plant's and even their music mirrors Zepplin, but Their the best new band to come along i awhile. There's got to be a reason they've exploded like they have onto the scene.
Should be a hot, rockin' show in Boston in July.
9/15/98 - Great Woods................9/29/04 - Fleet Center.....................8/02/08 - Opera House (EV)............10/16/13 - DCU Center
8/29/00 - Tweeter Center............5/24/06 - Banknorth Garden............5/17/10 - Banknorth Garden.............08/05/16 - Fenway Park
7/11/03 - Tweeter Center............5/25/06 - Banknorth Garden............6/16/11 - Wang Theatre (EV)............08/07/16 - Fenway Park
9/28/04 - Fleet Center................6/30/08 - Tweeter Center
Post edited by ski-bum on

Comments

• I don’t understand why they are waiting to hit a bunch of markets and really tour. 

But I get to see them in Atlanta come May. So I am pumped (even though it will be a festival set) 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    I saw them in Louisville last summer at Louder than Life.  We could hear them playing as we were walking over to the stage area.  I would have sworn it was a female singing.

They were very good.  They definitely have the Zep vibe but the kid can't help that he has Robert Plant's voice.  I was very impressed by all of them.  Three brothers and a drummer.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    I just starting listening to their EP last week.   Its really really good.  Unfortunately no Vancouver show (that I know about it).  I need to get more people I know to listen to them, so I've got someone to drag to a show if they play this way.
  • ski-bumski-bum Boston Posts: 1,010
    I saw them in Louisville last summer at Louder than Life.  We could hear them playing as we were walking over to the stage area.  I would have sworn it was a female singing.

They were very good.  They definitely have the Zep vibe but the kid can't help that he has Robert Plant's voice.  I was very impressed by all of them.  Three brothers and a drummer.
    I didn't know they are three bothers. Parents must be proud.
    9/15/98 - Great Woods................9/29/04 - Fleet Center.....................8/02/08 - Opera House (EV)............10/16/13 - DCU Center
    8/29/00 - Tweeter Center............5/24/06 - Banknorth Garden............5/17/10 - Banknorth Garden.............08/05/16 - Fenway Park
    7/11/03 - Tweeter Center............5/25/06 - Banknorth Garden............6/16/11 - Wang Theatre (EV)............08/07/16 - Fenway Park
    9/28/04 - Fleet Center................6/30/08 - Tweeter Center
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    ski-bum said:

I didn't know they are three bothers. Parents must be proud.
    yeah and the bass player also plays keyboard...boys are talented
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • timdwillitimdwilli Los Angeles, CA Posts: 294
    Saw a club show a few months ago...amazing energy. For the last year it seems they have been instantly selling out venues up to 1500 with wild secondary market prices. They sold out the 9:30 club in D.C. yesterday then put a show up for the following night at The Anthem which holds 6k and has not sold out...will be interesting to see if/when it does (still 5 months away). Supposed to be releasing an LP mid-year which will be crazy hyped considering this demand without a full length!
  • whoanelly15whoanelly15 Posts: 737
    They’re playing a free stage at Summerfest (Sunday I think). Might have to go. 
  • whoanelly15whoanelly15 Posts: 737
    Haven’t heard their full album but I’ve been listening to some of their live stuff and I dig it. They’re a throwback for sure. And Zep is certainly the first thing their sound harkens, with the singer’s voice, lyrics, yells and even his annunciation. But I like em. There is a more modern Nashville kind of feel to the guitar riff writing. Considering you don’t have Jimmy Page, it works. There’s a Heart vibe too. 

And they seem seem like they don’t take themselves too seriously. Like they’re really having fun!
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    If they didn't try to dress and act like Zeppelin I'd have an easier time accepting them.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • NatashapearljamfanNatashapearljamfan Australia Posts: 3,777
    Any news on their new album? 
  • willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
    I think they go on before foo fighters at Ottawa bluesfest in 2 weeks. Might have to check them out. 
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    edited July 2018
    Every generation needs its rock band.  I'm glad the kids are digging these guys.  I could care less if the singer sounds like someone else- he enjoys what he's doing and the fans are into it.  Cool.

Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,848
    rgambs said:
    If they didn't try to dress and act like Zeppelin I'd have an easier time accepting them.
    So maybe just listen to the music and not worry about what they are wearing? It's a cool band, young dudes making cool jams. Good on them for having the talent to rewind into the past and sound great instead of stuck in the present sounding the same as everyone else.
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

• PJWGIIIPJWGIII Chicago, IL Posts: 806
    Gonna be at both D.C. shows! (One at 9:30, one at the new Anthem) Can't wait!
    "Red Rover, Red Rover, Mike McCready – Take Over!!" - E.V.

Ten Club "Ambassador" (recap-writer) - DEEP.pearljam.com
    : Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 20(20)22: St Louis 9/18 | 2023: Chicago 2 (United Center) 9/7, Indianapolis (Deer Creek) 9/10

EV:
    2018: CURE Benefit Show (Chicago - Navy Pier) 10/15

RIP: Andy, Kurt, Chris
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,833
    rgambs said:
    Yeah, there's a fine line between being influenced and pastiche.  

I'm not knocking them at all, I enjoy their stuff, but it's a throwback rather than creating something new.  I mean, Soundgarden took the same influences 30 years ago and forged it into something new sounding.  I think they've got plenty of time to grow, I just hope they start expanding their sound a bit, or they risk just being the new Wolfmother.
    I like them better than wolfmother.   I have to go to Toronto for a week for training, and they're playing on Sunday night.  Tempted to find a ticket, but I've never solo'd a concert before.
  • manitoumanmanitouman In My Head Posts: 1,073
    I'd go solo. It's actually not bad. Plus you're there on business...treat yourself to a night of fun.
    Soldier Field, Chicago, IL 7-11-1995; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-29-1998; MGM Grand, Las Vegas, NV 10-22-2000 ~PJ10~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 4-1-2003; Cricket Pavilion, Phoenix, AZ 6-7-2003; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-18-2003; Alpine Valley, East Troy, WI 6-21-2003; Fox Theatre, St. Louis, MO 10-5-2004; The Gorge, George, WA 9-1-2005; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-16-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-17-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-2-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-3-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-23-2009; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-24-2009; Rogers Arena, Vancouver, BC 12-4-2013; Key Arena, Seattle, WA 12-6-2013; iWireless Arena, Moline, IL 10-17-2014 ~No Code Show~; Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul, MN 10-19-2014; Bradley Center, Milwaukee, WI 10-20-2014 ~Yield Show~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 10-22-2014 ~PJ24~: Wrigley Field 1 & 2, 2016; Safeco Field, Seattle Home Shows 1 & 2; Wrigley Field, Chicago Away Shows 1 & 2....
  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,972
    I'd go solo. It's actually not bad. Plus you're there on business...treat yourself to a night of fun.
    Yeah, you just have to time it right. Once the band starts playing, it doesn't matter if you're there with someone or not.
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
    LukinFan said:
    Yeah, you just have to time it right. Once the band starts playing, it doesn't matter if you're there with someone or not.
    yah, that's what I was thinking.  If I can figure out what time they hit the stage, I can show up a little bit early, and not have stand around trying to kill time.
    edited July 2018
    rgambs said:

I'm not knocking them at all, I enjoy their stuff, but it's a throwback rather than creating something new.  I mean, Soundgarden took the same influences 30 years ago and forged it into something new sounding.  I think they've got plenty of time to grow, I just hope they start expanding their sound a bit, or they risk just being the new Wolfmother.
    I think we need to give them some time. Zeppelin was accused of being just as derivative to earlier blues artists in their early years, and then the development and genius began to boil. Let them establish their roots, and then build from there. Robert Plant said the same thing, and said it best by describing them as "Led Zeppelin I". He totally laughed at the fact that people were calling GVF derivative to Led Zeppelin because he was totally aware how (ironically) derivative early Zeppelin was considered to be.

: Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 20(20)22: St Louis 9/18 | 2023: Chicago 2 (United Center) 9/7, Indianapolis (Deer Creek) 9/10

EV:

• facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,833
    PJWGIII said:
    rgambs said:

I think we need to give them some time. Zeppelin was accused of being just as derivative to earlier blues artists in their early years, and then the development and genius began to boil. Let them establish their roots, and then build from there. Robert Plant said the same thing, and said it best by describing them as "Led Zeppelin I". He totally laughed at the fact that people were calling GVF derivative to Led Zeppelin because he was totally aware how (ironically) derivative early Zeppelin was considered to be.
    Zeppelin's early material borrowed heavily, but not really stylistically - they played them differently, for example their version of Dazed and Confused vs Jake Holmes' original.  

Like I said, I enjoy their stuff, but there is absolutely nothing by way of innovation at all.  In their defence, they are very young, so maybe they don't see that the way they are presenting themselves is quite limiting.  There is nothing about them to suggest they couldn't have existed in the early 70's, from the way the music sounds to the way they dress and perform.  What I'm getting at is that I can understand why some people are dismissing them.

• willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
    Zod said:
    I like them better than wolfmother.   I have to go to Toronto for a week for training, and they're playing on Sunday night.  Tempted to find a ticket, but I've never solo'd a concert before.
    I've gone solo twice now to shows, both in Toronto. Was hesitant the first time but it was fine and would do it again no problem
  • Zod said:
    I've gone solo twice now to shows, both in Toronto. Was hesitant the first time but it was fine and would do it again no problem

I went to the Foos solo. I had bought a GA ticket at the last hour and went with two buddies who had seats.

I had a great time and so glad I did it.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    Fair enough.. I'm now on the lookout for a ticket... trying to find one at face (holding out for a TM ticket drop) but prices don't seem horrible on stubhub/tm resell either.
  • Zod said:
    Fair enough.. I'm now on the lookout for a ticket... trying to find one at face (holding out for a TM ticket drop) but prices don't seem horrible on stubhub/tm resell either.

Rock on!
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    I go to shows solo all the time. Whether it be because no one else likes the band or because many times I have to buy the tickets so far in advance that no one can commit that far out. Anyway, it's a lot of fun and a great way to meet new people.
    I went.  I'm really not the person who walks up to random people and start talking.   I timed it to get there around 9pm and didn't have to wait long for the band to start.   It was jammed pack at the Rebel.  Its like the Commodore in Vancouver, but Toronto must have different capacity rules, because there's no open space.

Pretty good show.  They only have 8 officially release songs, which bookended the show.   They played songs no one knew in the middle, which was interesting, but probably the best choice.  Really looking forward to the new cd coming out.

Glad I went though.
  • Zod said:
    I went.  I'm really not the person who walks up to random people and start talking.   I timed it to get there around 9pm and didn't have to wait long for the band to start.   It was jammed pack at the Rebel.  Its like the Commodore in Vancouver, but Toronto must have different capacity rules, because there's no open space.

Pretty good show.  They only have 8 officially release songs, which bookended the show.   They played songs no one knew in the middle, which was interesting, but probably the best choice.  Really looking forward to the new cd coming out.

Glad I went though.

How did the new stuff sound?
    Zod said:

Glad I went though.

How did the new stuff sound?
    +1 on this question

EV: