Options

Political Correctness is BS

Comments

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Smellyman said:
    There is a difference between being honest and being a dick.

PC can be taken too far, but lately being antiPC means I can be a dick again.
    A-fucking-men, Smelly.

By the way, I hereby nominate myself as The Dick Police.

(arrest this man =) )
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    rgambs said:
    Political correctness is just the new name for having some fucking manners and respect.
    People are all bent out of shape that society is holding them responsible for the things they say which are deliberately meant to piss people off and disrespect others.
    99.9% of people who complain about political correctness are straight white men over the age of 30 for obvious reasons.
    sorry but you are completely full of shit, just making up numbers, and who decides what's correct and what's not? who becomes the PC police, and I would rather have people being honest & authentic so I know just where they stand, than a bunch of people saying what they think you want to hear as to not piss you off. Sticks & Stones will break my bones & names will never hurt me, my valuation of myself comes  from within, so it doesn't fucking matter what name some asshole calls me, at least I know where I stand so I can just avoid that person, we are creating a society of total pansies
    From your pictures, you are a white male. As such, you likely haven’t been on the receiving end of slurs being directed against the race or group that you belong to. That is a very, very different thing than a personal insult from someone who just doesn’t like you. 
    I have lived on South Side of Chicago, and I dealt with it, I much stronger and more powerful than any words someone can hurl against me
    What exactly did you “deal with”? Whether in Seattle or Chicago, you’re still a white guy. 

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,680
    I agree with the notion that some political correctness (a vaguely defined term) is bullshit in that sometimes its just buzz words said without much thought.  And sometimes the sentiments expressed in a PC manner are naive.  But here's the thing for me- people who seems more PC and less critical thinkers are generally people I believe whom mean well.  They care about the world and people in it.  So if you believe that what a PC person is saying is naive or nonconstructive, I guess you can have to reactions:  You can say, "Hey, you're a mindless asshole with your PC bullshit" or you can say, "It sounds to me like you have good intentions but I'm not sure that what you are proposing is very effective.  It sounds a bit too cliched.  Can we discuss other options?"

It's like here on AMT.  You can simply dismiss what someone says as bullshit and call them an idiot (and risk a time out or ban) or you can say to yourself, well, that person came here because they care about what is going on in the world.  Can we discuss this issue like two  grown adults and come up with a solution?

Over the years (and I've been guilty of this too so don't cut me slack on this) I've seen a lot or the former- name calling, dismissive responses, angry lashing out.  But when the latter happens, we are awesome. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,822
    edited February 2018
    Political Correctness has become a buzzterm...it's essentially the precursor to "snowflake."

Essentially, I agree that there are problems with political correctness.  There are instances in which honestly is lost.  The Yale Halloween mess (when a bunch of students really did try to shut down opposing viewpoints) is a good example.  But to whatever degree the crusade against political correctness was well-meaning whenever it started, the vast majority of the use of the phrase has taken on two particularly awful characteristics:
    1. It's an excuse to be an ass.  While I agree that political correctness has its problems, I don't interpret calling someone out for being a disrespectful turd as "PC."  That's about respect.  I don't view the distaste for Chief Wahoo as "over-sensitivity" and "PC."  I view it as not thinking a racist caricature is a great logo for a ballclub.  It's people fighting change; fighting the idea that cultures evolve and find better ways to treat one another.  Sometimes this includes things like not making rape jokes and hiding behind the flimsy fact that "it's comedy," not making racist jokes, and not getting away with people in power parroting stereotypes that legitimately can contribute to a culture that holds some people back.  And the most wonderful irony is that while political correctness often comes in the form of dismissing opposing viewpoints, the phrase itself is used to dismiss opposing viewpoints.  "Well maybe we should discuss whether we want confederate monuments."  Response..."PC!"  It is now used in lieu of critical thought and dialog.
    2. It's a term that's been co-opted by the right and is alarmingly full of hypocrisy.  When someone who spends half of his waking time on the internet calling people "snowflakes" and lamenting his inability to make racist jokes is also whining about NFL players not reacting to the Anthem the way they do, that's hypocrisy.  Political correctness is often the attempts of a person or group to shut down opposing viewpoints and keep them out of the public dialog because some are "offended."  Somehow the things that tend to offend those on the right get a pass.
    Post edited by OnWis97 on
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
    edited February 2018

rgambs said:
    Political correctness is just the new name for having some fucking manners and respect.
    People are all bent out of shape that society is holding them responsible for the things they say which are deliberately meant to piss people off and disrespect others.
    99.9% of people who complain about political correctness are straight white men over the age of 30 for obvious reasons.
    sorry but you are completely full of shit, just making up numbers, and who decides what's correct and what's not? who becomes the PC police, and I would rather have people being honest & authentic so I know just where they stand, than a bunch of people saying what they think you want to hear as to not piss you off. Sticks & Stones will break my bones & names will never hurt me, my valuation of myself comes  from within, so it doesn't fucking matter what name some asshole calls me, at least I know where I stand so I can just avoid that person, we are creating a society of total pansies
    From your pictures, you are a white male. As such, you likely haven’t been on the receiving end of slurs being directed against the race or group that you belong to. That is a very, very different thing than a personal insult from someone who just doesn’t like you. 
    I have lived on South Side of Chicago, and I dealt with it, I much stronger and more powerful than any words someone can hurl against me
    What exactly did you “deal with”? Whether in Seattle or Chicago, you’re still a white guy. 

I lived on the South Side, where I lived it was mostly minorities, so I was actually the minority, and I was discriminated against and called racist names, but those were all people who didn't know me, none of my homeys ever gave me that kind of treatment, and I was attacked physically because of my skin color in an ambush with some teens while waiting for a train, and they were calling me racists names while they were attacking me, fortunately there were some people near by who stepped in or I could've easily been killed. It's not something I really like talking about, I still have some PTSD from it, but what can you do? You just have to move one, just like if someone says something insensitive.
    Post edited by Big Bank Hank on
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    OnWis97 said:
    Political Correctness has become a buzzterm...it's essentially the precursor to "snowflake."

Essentially, I agree that there are problems with political correctness.  There are instances in which honestly is lost.  The Yale Halloween mess (when a bunch of students really did try to shut down opposing viewpoints) is a good example.  But to whatever degree the crusade against political correctness was well-meaning whenever it started, the vast majority of the use of the phrase has taken on two particularly awful characteristics:
    1. It's an excuse to be an ass.  While I agree that political correctness has its problems, I don't interpret calling someone out for being a disrespectful turd as "PC."  That's about respect.  I don't view the distaste for Chief Wahoo as "over-sensitivity" and "PC."  I view it as not thinking a racist caricature is a great logo for a ballclub.  It's people fighting change; fighting the idea that cultures evolve and find better ways to treat one another.  Sometimes this includes things like not making rape jokes and hiding behind the flimsy fact that "it's comedy," not making racist jokes, and not getting away with people in power parroting stereotypes that legitimately can contribute to a culture that holds some people back.  And the most wonderful irony is that while political correctness often comes in the form of dismissing opposing viewpoints, the phrase itself is used to dismiss opposing viewpoints.  "Well maybe we should discuss whether we want confederate monuments."  Response..."PC!"  It is now used in lieu of critical thought and dialog.
    2. It's a term that's been co-opted by the right and is alarmingly full of hypocrisy.  When someone who spends half of his waking time on the internet calling people "snowflakes" and lamenting his inability to make racist jokes is also whining about NFL players not reacting to the Anthem the way they do, that's hypocrisy.  Political correctness is often the attempts of a person or group to shut down opposing viewpoints and keep them out of the public dialog because some are "offended."  Somehow the things that tend to offend those on the right get a pass.
    Great post.
  • Options
    dignin said:
    OnWis97 said:

Great post.
    2nd that.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    brianlux said:
    dignin said:
    OnWis97 said:

Great post.
    2nd that.
    I like knowing where I stand, and if someone is an asshole, it's much more easily identified when they are being honest. BTW, I don't hang out or associate with any racists or people who are discriminatory or all the people for whom taking Freedom of Speech away is aimed at, I believe society and the workplace do a good enough job self policing, and I do believe strongly in workplace standards for conduct, because in the workplace it's very hard to avoid people you have to work with every day.
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,610
    rgambs said:
    brianlux said:
    I agree sometimes just a nod and say nothing stops the situation gathering any momentum. Im terrible at keeping my mouth shut though(my mothers gene) so I often end up in a situation. Oh well i rarely go out now so not as important. 
    I was going to add that In many ways, I admire people who say it like it is, who pull no punches.  Some great example- the comedian George Carlin.  Native American writer Sherman Alexie.  Southwest writer and curmudgeon Edward Abbey. Writer, singer, actor, traveler, speaker, all around cool guy Henry Rollins.  All heroes of mine.
    All more politically correct than not, really.
    It's not opinions and ideas that are politically incorrect, it's the expression of opinions and ideas in deliberately disrespectful ways.
    this would be considered politically incorrect, and I think that's okay
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf0oXY4nDxE

I'm starting to think you may have some different views on what political correctness is. 
    trust me here in Seattle singing Dude looks like a lady you get some really disgusted looks, because it is considered very much politically incorrect, because it's somehow disrespectful to transgenders or transvestites 

Maybe it's just your singing?
    ha ha, no it's definitely not that, things are completely different living in Seattle as opposed to living in Chicago, a lot of stuff that was cool in Chicago, doesn't necessarily fly here
    This explains a lot. You’ve moved from one of the most segregated cities to the least. There’s a immense amount if racism in Chicago, based on my anecdotal personal experience as well as others. A lot of people just don’t have contact with people who are different from themselves. There’s also a lot of focus on knowing who lives in what area and what race/ethnicity they are. He’s a jew. He’s polish. He’s italian. He’s black etc.... 
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    dignin said:
    OnWis97 said:

Great post.
    2nd that.
    I like knowing where I stand, and if someone is an asshole, it's much more easily identified when they are being honest. BTW, I don't hang out or associate with any racists or people who are discriminatory or all the people for whom taking Freedom of Speech away is aimed at, I believe society and the workplace do a good enough job self policing, and I do believe strongly in workplace standards for conduct, because in the workplace it's very hard to avoid people you have to work with every day.
    I agree with being honest and letting someone know where I stand and knowing where the other guy stands IF I want to engage or have no choice but to engage with that person.  But like I said earlier, if I don't want to grow closer to that person, I'm not going to disclose much and I might even harmlessly fib in order to avoid getting entangled.  The work place is where that is sometimes necessary, just as you indicated.

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    I'm failing to see the connection where politcal correctness equates to being dishonest, or not being politically correct equates to being honest.  These things are not mutually exclusive.
  • Options
    I'm failing to see the connection where politcal correctness equates to being dishonest, or not being politically correct equates to being honest.  These things are not mutually exclusive.
    I agree
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    I thought p.c was like over the top trying to say the "right " thing rather than how its always been said or known. I can't think of a great example though im getting old.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    they are not but there are a lot of people being say what they think others want to hear, instead of saying what they feel, and if they are to embarrassed to express themselves honestly, then they should change their way of being (i.e; if your racist, don't be racist) We do have the ability to change our way of living and thinking, instead of not addressing it and saying what they feel is expected
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    ruffling AMT feathers! (aka connecting bots!)
  • Options
    JC29856 said:
    ruffling AMT feathers! (aka connecting bots!)
    lol
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,688
    they are not but there are a lot of people being say what they think others want to hear, instead of saying what they feel, and if they are to embarrassed to express themselves honestly, then they should change their way of being (i.e; if your racist, don't be racist) We do have the ability to change our way of living and thinking, instead of not addressing it and saying what they feel is expected
    you can be respectful of others AND honest at the same time.

people you describe seem to lack basic decency. and decency is about respwct and honesty.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    mickeyrat said:

people you describe seem to lack basic decency. and decency is about respwct and honesty.
    you can be, certainly, anybody can be anything, but that doesn't mean that's the norm, there is more and more fake-ness now, than I have ever seen before
    Post edited by Big Bank Hank on
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,610
    mickeyrat said:

you can be, certainly, anybody can be anything, but that doesn't mean that's the norm, is more and more fake-ness now, than I have ever seen before
    I’m a little confused. What do you mean by fake-ness?
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

you can be, certainly, anybody can be anything, but that doesn't mean that's the norm, is more and more fake-ness now, than I have ever seen before
    Saying or expressing something that is not what one's feeling or beliefs, but rather what one feels is expected, or looking for acceptance even though in contradicts one's own beliefs
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

Saying or expressing something that is not what one's feeling or beliefs, but rather what one feels is expected, or looking for acceptance even though in contradicts one's own beliefs
    BBH, are we talking about peer influence leading people to say things they perhaps hadn't thought out thoroughly for themselves, or down- right lying?  I know several die-hard party-line Democrat , quintessentially liberal, politically correct people and they may be guilty of lapsing in their critical thinking (I've done that) but I don't for a second believe they are lying.   They can be overly idealistic (I've done that too) and a bit naive (been there as well) but still, I find them to be mostly decent folks.   And there are other types out there I'm W-A-A-A-A-Y more concerned about.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:

BBH, are we talking about peer influence leading people to say things they perhaps hadn't thought out thoroughly for themselves, or down- right lying?  I know several die-hard party-line Democrat , quintessentially liberal, politically correct people and they may be guilty of lapsing in their critical thinking (I've done that) but I don't for a second believe they are lying.   They can be overly idealistic (I've done that too) and a bit naive (been there as well) but still, I find them to be mostly decent folks.   And there are other types out there I'm W-A-A-A-A-Y more concerned about.

No I mean people who don't say what they feel because are too worried about what others think, and some people can't live their lives w/o worrying about what others think. We live in a world where if you make a statement, but don't word it properly, you could literally have people piling on and ripping you apart for days, so that can create fear in some people and what they say. But I have fucked up so many times in my life, I am a grizzled veteran at this point, so if I fuck up, I fuck up, but that freedom has also allowed me to be outside the box, and see things and come up with things that others miss. But the life I live is not right for everyone, in fact I don't necessarily recommend it either, but I have tried living my life and being like everyone else and it just never worked for me, it never felt comfortable or right. All the LSD I have done probably has a lot to do with it, once you see the expanded universe, it's hard to pretend it doesn't exist.
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:

No I mean people who don't say what they feel because are too worried about what others think, and some people can't live their lives w/o worrying about what others think. We live in a world where if you make a statement, but don't word it properly, you could literally have people piling on and ripping you apart for days, so that can create fear in some people and what they say. But I have fucked up so many times in my life, I am a grizzled veteran at this point, so if I fuck up, I fuck up, but that freedom has also allowed me to be outside the box, and see things and come up with things that others miss. But the life I live is not right for everyone, in fact I don't necessarily recommend it either, but I have tried living my life and being like everyone else and it just never worked for me, it never felt comfortable or right. All the LSD I have done probably has a lot to do with it, once you see the expanded universe, it's hard to pretend it doesn't exist.
    "have people piling on and ripping you apart for days".  Yeah, definitely know that one, BBH.

You are definitely a one of a kind, Hank.  As for "fucking up", that's why Neil Young wrote the song for so many of us!

Why do I- hiiii...
    KEEP FUCKING U-U-U-U-U-UUUUUP!?!?

• Options
    I do agree with fakeness and people say what they are told is exceptable rather than what they feel or think. I mean if you truly believe something you should be free to defend or say it. I think where we are getting mixed up is when people are nasty or rude thats not the same as defending your beliefs i think you can do that in an informative way and we won't all agree but passion and belief is ok with me. We are told now some words and phrases are not p.c some are buzz words of the month and dissappear soon after some we adopt as the nEw words for things we knew previously as something else because suddenly offence is caused where it wasn't before . Thats what i see anyhow. May be different in different cities and situations?
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    I do agree with fakeness and people say what they are told is exceptable rather than what they feel or think. I mean if you truly believe something you should be free to defend or say it. I think where we are getting mixed up is when people are nasty or rude thats not the same as defending your beliefs i think you can do that in an informative way and we won't all agree but passion and belief is ok with me. We are told now some words and phrases are not p.c some are buzz words of the month and dissappear soon after some we adopt as the nEw words for things we knew previously as something else because suddenly offence is caused where it wasn't before . Thats what i see anyhow. May be different in different cities and situations?
    Yeah, I agree.  I think it's better to strife for being forthright and considerate.  It's when we feel attacked that it becomes easier to give in to being nasty.  If we really are being attacked, maybe nasty is the best response, but I think only as a very last resort.  Reasonable discussion makes for more useful dialog.

And good point about language changing.  When I was a kid you never referred to blacks and use any form of the word "color" but by the 80 and 90's, "people of color" became the norm (which I kind of like).  I'm OK with most any word for most anything or anyone as long as the intent is for the good and not said out of ignorance or prejudice. And like you point out, these days the buzz words change fast!

• Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,868
    edited February 2018
    Yes totally a great example there have been many words for coloured people infact so many im not sure what to even type for fear of it being offensive because they don't agree on one word . It can differ between countries and cities.also i was thinking of morning t.v here had a discussion about the biblical term"man" as in god created all men equal.. "mankind"(stone is sexist). I jest.
    But they said it should be called something gender neutral. Ok i understand that but words keep being made inappropriate by small groups who just decide on a new word for something . 
    Post edited by lastexitlondon on
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    Yes totally a great example there have been many words for coloured people infact so many im not sure what to even type for fear of it being offensive because they don't agree on one word . It can differ between countries and cities.also i was thinking of morning t.v here had a discussion about the biblical term"man" as in god created all men equal.. "mankind"(stone is sexist). I jest.
    But they said it should be called something gender neutral. Ok i understand that but words keep being made inappropriate by small groups who just decide on a new word for something . 
    exactly
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:

"have people piling on and ripping you apart for days".  Yeah, definitely know that one, BBH.

You are definitely a one of a kind, Hank.  As for "fucking up", that's why Neil Young wrote the song for so many of us!

Why do I- hiiii...
    KEEP FUCKING U-U-U-U-U-UUUUUP!?!?

Thanks, I am by no means perfect, I just try to be as happy and free as I possibly can be, and to live that kind of life it leaves you vulnerable to fucking up, I just try to make sure they are not major fuck ups
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    edited February 2018
    I find it incredibly odd that anyone would support this.

https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/feb/25/mack-beggs-transgender-wrestler-wins-texas-girls-h/

When I was in HS performance enhancing drugs would get you kicked off the team and suspended.
    Post edited by unsung on
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,688
    edited February 2018
    unsung said:
    I find it incredibly odd that anyone would support this.

https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/feb/25/mack-beggs-transgender-wrestler-wins-texas-girls-h/

When I was in HS performance enhancing drugs would get you kicked off the team and suspended.
    given HE is a transgender young man who wants to compete with HIS gender, its amazing Texas wont let HIM.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14