Options

America's Gun Violence

Comments

• Options
    riley540riley540 Denver Colorado Posts: 1,128
    rgambs said:
    All this talk of what could go wrong seems a little nitpicky to me.
    There's a person with an assault rifle gunning down everyone in sight, trying to kill as many people as possible...and y'all are shitting your pants over the idea that a teacher trying to stop them might miss the psychopathic menace and hit a student?  Some risks are worth taking.

I wouldn't even be entertaining these thoughts if I thought anything meaningful would happen in gun control efforts.  
    IT WON'T.

Nothing is going to happen.  If you think it is, your head is in your ass. 
    Spot on
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    rgambs said:
    There's a person with an assault rifle gunning down everyone in sight, trying to kill as many people as possible...and y'all are shitting your pants over the idea that a teacher trying to stop them might miss the psychopathic menace and hit a student?  Some risks are worth taking.

I wouldn't even be entertaining these thoughts if I thought anything meaningful would happen in gun control efforts.  
    IT WON'T.

Really? Nitpicky?

Guess some of us are not willing to give up like you.

Don't mind me while I take in the view from up my ass.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,544
    Every single educator I know, and there are lots from pre-school up through  college professors, think arming teachers is stupid.
  • Options
    Every single educator I know, and there are lots from pre-school up through  college professors, think arming teachers is stupid.
    Many of us think banning guns is stupid. 
  • Options
    wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    I don't think it should be put upon a teacher to carry a gun. They are responsible for enough already. I will say I'm glad I don't have underage kids anymore.You sadly enough almost need to treat a school like a prison. Build a wall around it and have a few armed guards..It's pathetic....An article in my local paper had a piece today...kid on a dare brought a loaded handgun to his 7th grade class..
    TODAY....
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    edited February 2018
    What do you teach?
    The vibe in my school Is that some think it is a good idea (maybe 40%?) and others hate it.  However I live in a state where you need a background check to buy a god damn BB gun so I doubt teachers will ever be allowed to carry. 
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,967
    If you arm teachers will they run and hide like the armed guard did at the Florida school?
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    If you arm teachers will they run and hide like the armed guard did at the Florida school?
    Is this the land of hypothetical scenarios?

how can anyone possibly answer that?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    dignin said:
    rgambs said:

IT WON'T.

Really? Nitpicky?

I haven't given up efforts, I've given up hope.
    I'm an atheist, i don't believe in ghosts or UFO's, I'm not the type to buy into fairytales and the idea that any of our solutions will be put into effect within the next few years is a fairytale.
    Meanwhile, our kids are standing exposed and helpless, and from my perspective it's you who is doing nothing to protect them.
    We've reached desperate times and desperate measures are called for.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631
    riley540 said:
    Banning all guns could never happen.  Most are talking about assault weapons . Do you think that's stupid and please explain why,  if yes. 
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,242
    We've reached speculation central with teachers being armed now the central argument. What's completely stupid is that we all agree that it will not stop a shooting from happening, but some are now coming to the conclusion that it's better than nothing so all of our time here and more importantly at the national level is being spent discussing it. Yet, we don't all agree that banning assault rifles and limiting mag capacity will save lives. How can you be for arming teachers knowing it doesn't stop a shooting or possibly even save lives, but against banning certain firearms you also claim won't put an end to gun violence or stop shootings. One speculatively effective measure some how makes sense and the other doesn't? Even though studies and comparative data from other countries supports a decrease in gun violence and the other doesn't.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

Considering hypothetical scenarios is key to critical thinking. Something that doesn't seem to have much value these days.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

Common sense perhaps?  Teachers expected to chase down armed gunmen?  

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    I don't think it should be put upon a teacher to carry a gun. They are responsible for enough already. I will say I'm glad I don't have underage kids anymore.You sadly enough almost need to treat a school like a prison. Build a wall around it and have a few armed guards..It's pathetic....An article in my local paper had a piece today...kid on a dare brought a loaded handgun to his 7th grade class..
    TODAY....
    So a 12 or 13 year old brings a gun to school. Where and how did he get it? “Responsible” gun owner strikes again.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    riley540 said:
    Banning all guns could never happen.  Most are talking about assault weapons . Do you think that's stupid and please explain why,  if yes. 
    I don’t think banning the AR15 would change anything. There are many similar guns. Also, a valid argument from friends is that they want to own a gun similar to what the government has possession of. Many people don’t like that argument, but many people don’t want to end up like Rome, Cuba, China, German/Poland, ect. I think it’s a valid argument personally, but purely my opinion. 
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:
    unsung said:
    unsung said:
    That is a slippery slope.  What other Rights would it apply to in order to exercise?
    Its good enough for armed marshals in Texas public schools, why not the average person wanting to purchase and possess a firearm?
    You didn't answer my question.  Would we need to submit to an exam in order to vote too?
    Can you directly kill 20 - 60 other people with your vote?
    No, indirectly... far more.  
    Exactly.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,242
    edited February 2018
    dignin said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Considering hypothetical scenarios is key to critical thinking. Something that doesn't seem to have much value these days.
    Its what those of us in emergency preparedness plan for all the time. The hypothetical threat or disaster that may never come, but you run through it so people aren't caught off guard and have considered what could happen.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    edited February 2018
    dignin said:
    Also, why are Americans so afraid of someone breaking into their homes to get them? As an outsider you come off as paranoid. Most other places don't have this fear.

Why are you so afraid? 
    I am afraid of my government as for over a year now I have heard that a sexual predator "literally Hitler" Russian agent is President.

Or are we saying that it is now ok for a sexual predator "literally Hitler" Russian agent to disarm law abiding citizens?
  • Options
    Teacher shoots student
    Police shoots teacher (because he can't tell the gunman from the "good guy")

So many scenarios...so little time

None of that stupid bullshit helps solve the problem.

• Options
    rgambs said:
    dignin said:
    rgambs said:

IT WON'T.

Really? Nitpicky?

I'm an atheist, i don't believe in ghosts or UFO's, I'm not the type to buy into fairytales and the idea that any of our solutions will be put into effect within the next few years is a fairytale.
    Meanwhile, our kids are standing exposed and helpless, and from my perspective it's you who is doing nothing to protect them.
    And from my perspective it is you and others here who are advocating for kids to be put into more danger.
  • Options
    Lol

Sooo... ultimately... the US is deciding the answer to the gun problem is the proverbial 'more guns'. Gun industry rejoice... you got 'em right were you need them!

For the love of Gawd... seriously? Arming teachers with guns to fight the inevitable armed intruders? Anything but actually addressing the root of the problem, eh?

The second amendment arguments and the 'let's just deal with reality' arguments are weak. There is no legitimate debate regarding the need for gun reform in the US. The tail is wagging the dog.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    What do you teach?
    The vibe in my school Is that some think it is a good idea (maybe 40%?) and others hate it.  However I live in a state where you need a background check to buy a god damn BB gun so I doubt teachers will ever be allowed to carry. 
    I don't teach.....I'm  scared of children
    The educators I know are scattered all around the country  and have varying political beliefs.
    But all are unanimously opposed to arming teachers.
  • Options
  • Options
    TODAY....
    So a 12 or 13 year old brings a gun to school. Where and how did he get it? “Responsible” gun owner strikes again.
    I guess that's my point..How do you stop that from happening? Amazing the difference between now and 30 years ago..You saw an occasional fight or drug bust  but that was it..
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    Meanwhile kids outside of the USA go to school w/o school shootings. 

I just can't put my finger on why.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    dignin said:
    rgambs said:
    dignin said:
    rgambs said:

IT WON'T.

Really? Nitpicky?

And from my perspective it is you and others here who are advocating for kids to be put into more danger.
    Do nothing then, that's your choice to make.
    The battle lines are drawn and I don't see any ground being given.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Smellyman said:
    Meanwhile kids outside of the USA go to school w/o school shootings. 

I just can't put my finger on why.
    Better parenting, for one..
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    unsung said:
    unsung said:
    That is a slippery slope.  What other Rights would it apply to in order to exercise?
    Its good enough for armed marshals in Texas public schools, why not the average person wanting to purchase and possess a firearm?
    You didn't answer my question.  Would we need to submit to an exam in order to vote too?
    There's all kinds of restrictions on the Amendments in place already.  

1st Amendment doesn't protect yelling fire in a public theater
    there are age restrictions to vote
    alcohol prohibition was repealed, but you have to be a certain age

the 2nd amendment isn't so special that we can't put restrictions on it.  You're slippery slope argument is invalid.
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    dignin said:
    rgambs said:
    dignin said:
    rgambs said:

IT WON'T.

Really? Nitpicky?

Do nothing then, that's your choice to make.
    The battle lines are drawn and I don't see any ground being given.
    Hey man, we agree on most things, but we were bound to find some separation somewhere.

You are right though, I can pretty much do nothing from where I'm at. I don't even have a vote. I can just do my best to make sure this clusterfuck doesn't spread North.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631
    riley540 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    riley540 said:
    I don’t think banning the AR15 would change anything. There are many similar guns. Also, a valid argument from friends is that they want to own a gun similar to what the government has possession of. Many people don’t like that argument, but many people don’t want to end up like Rome, Cuba, China, German/Poland, ect. I think it’s a valid argument personally, but purely my opinion. 
    I didn't say AR. I said all assault style weapons. 

The "fight the government" argument is outrageously silly.  If you want to fight them,  you'll need far more more than that.  Might as well legalize SAMs, bunker busters,  fully automatics , etc. I'm hardly sympathetic to the militia man. 
This discussion has been closed.