Options

America's Gun Violence

Comments

• Options
    My point was that they're not wearing sidearms if they have contact with children as part of their "regular" job.Seems the "ready" access isn't there.Why the hostility? 80 hours of training, followed by 10 hours of classroom, a psychological exam, all costs paid by the "marshal", expenses not required to be reimbursed by the local school commission or governing body in the school distract. Why not just a locked gun cabinet with an arsenal in every classroom?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    PJPOWER said:

d)  Any written regulations adopted for purposes of Subsection (c) must provide that a school marshal may carry a concealed handgun as described by Subsection (c), except that if the primary duty of the school marshal involves regular, direct contact with students, the marshal may not carry a concealed handgun but may possess a handgun on the physical premises of a school in a locked and secured safe within the marshal's immediate reach when conducting the marshal's primary duty. The written regulations must also require that a handgun carried by or within access of a school marshal may be loaded only with frangible ammunition designed to disintegrate on impact for maximum safety and minimal danger to others.

What’s your point?  That you think they should keep them in a readily accessible vault?  I think the point was that the carrying teachers must go through specific trainings to be able to do so...?
    What good does a gun do in a vault?  If I am teaching math and want to blow someone away I need to be locked and loaded at all times.
    Idiotic,quick release vaults are readily available.  May take one or two more SECONDS to access.  Still faster than a law enforcement response.  You are truly adding NOTHING to this conversation.
  • Options
    My point was that they're not wearing sidearms if they have contact with children as part of their "regular" job.Seems the "ready" access isn't there.Why the hostility? 80 hours of training, followed by 10 hours of classroom, a psychological exam, all costs paid by the "marshal", expenses not required to be reimbursed by the local school commission or governing body in the school distract. Why not just a locked gun cabinet with an arsenal in every classroom?
    Quick access safes are readily available.  This has been discussed a few times here.  Round and round we go...
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,877
    PJPOWER said:

d)  Any written regulations adopted for purposes of Subsection (c) must provide that a school marshal may carry a concealed handgun as described by Subsection (c), except that if the primary duty of the school marshal involves regular, direct contact with students, the marshal may not carry a concealed handgun but may possess a handgun on the physical premises of a school in a locked and secured safe within the marshal's immediate reach when conducting the marshal's primary duty. The written regulations must also require that a handgun carried by or within access of a school marshal may be loaded only with frangible ammunition designed to disintegrate on impact for maximum safety and minimal danger to others.

What’s your point?  That you think they should keep them in a readily accessible vault?  I think the point was that the carrying teachers must go through specific trainings to be able to do so...?
    What good does a gun do in a vault?  If I am teaching math and want to blow someone away I need to be locked and loaded at all times.
    Accessible locks/safes that can be opened in seconds are readily available. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,241
    PJPOWER said:

I'll bite. Law Enforcement train monthly or more and go through a much more rigorous process, but still make mistakes so why does an initial 2 week academy seem like some great solution with a refresher every 2 years? I'm also curious about the mental health evaluation and what that entails compared to a psychological exam.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    PJPOWER said:

I'll bite. Law Enforcement train monthly or more and go through a much more rigorous process, but still make mistakes so why does an initial 2 week academy seem like some great solution with a refresher every 2 years? I'm also curious about the mental health evaluation and what that entails compared to a psychological exam.
    couldn't the metal health evaluation and psychological exam be the same exact one as cops go through?
    as a teacher I have to do 20 hours of continuing ed  every year, maybe they could do the same with firearm training/certs.
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    America openly debating arming teachers

LOL

If I was 18 I would be the fuck out of this shithole 
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    tbergs said:
    PJPOWER said:

I would say that law enforcement are regularly met with multiple threats and the odds of them making a mistake here or there are greater.  With teachers, you are training for a specific threat.  And the odds are really pretty slim that they would actually need to use their firearm (much like the odds of a fire).  I have no idea what the psych evaluation entails, but would probably follow the DSM IV standards for evaluating any kind of potential mental disorders.  I think the most important factor is that they actually train WITH law enforcement.  Practice and training are the only way of minimizing odds of an accident.  
    Regardless, I feel that the marginal odds of an accident taking place by a well trained person are better than allowing the possibility of someone coming in and shooting the place up unchallenged.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,241
    mcgruff10 said:
    tbergs said:
    PJPOWER said:

couldn't the metal health evaluation and psychological exam be the same exact one as cops go through?
    as a teacher I have to do 20 hours of continuing ed  every year, maybe they could do the same with firearm training/certs.
    I hope that's what they mean, but then it should say that. Two different things to me. 
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    tbergs said:
    rgambs said:
    unsung said:
    rgambs said:
    unsung said:
    my2hands said:
    unsung said:
    tbergs said:
    Hey unsung, here's one I'm surprised you haven't been ragging on. Student is providing fake information about scripted questions from CNN.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2018/02/22/shooting_survivor_colton_haab_cnn_gave_me_scripted_question_after_denying_question_about_armed_guards.html
    So now we are back to not caring what the kids say?

Make up your minds.
    You have no credibility here. Nobody gives a shit what you have to say. 
    And yet you keep responding...

Yeah cool, I can go away and you can stand in a circle in your groups that just nod their heads in agreement.

Trust me, I prefer a good discussion, let me know if you ever are up for it.

We all have the same goals here, I hope to protect life, well at least this stage of life anyway.  We just have different ways of wanting to get those results.
    Ha!  What a joke, you run from every debate you've ever started with a snide comment or bad Photoshop job.
    You don't respond to any questions and you don't provide rebuttals, David Hogg would shred you to pieces on any topic.
    Would he be able to film prior to the incident? I hear he has a track record for doing so.  Hopefully he will remember his lines.
    Which flat earth blog or white supremacy forum did you hear that in?
    AP 250
    A pretty good local brewery. Not sure how good they are at spinning alt right conspiracies, but at least you can discuss it over a frothy brew ;)
    I'm in, you buying?
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,629
    mcgruff10 said:
    tbergs said:
    PJPOWER said:

So now efficacy at teaching isn't even enough.  They have to be first responder tactical units.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    tbergs said:
    PJPOWER said:

So now efficacy at teaching isn't even enough.  They have to be first responder tactical units.  
    OMG, once again...VOLUNTEERS!  They do not “have” to be anything but teachers...but if they choose to be...
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Infographic Is It Time To Bring Back The Assault Weapons Ban   Statista
    How many were attributed to "assault weapons"?

In 2011, the Chicago Police department issued a report,  in it 511 (iirc) people were murdered the past year.  ONE was found to be done by (any rifle).  

1 out of 511.  

These are not the problem you all make them out to be.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    tbergs said:
    PJPOWER said:

OMG, once again...VOLUNTEERS!  They do not “have” to be anything but teachers...but if they choose to be...
    Sorry, where did that come from?  Trump today was talking about arming school officials.  Did we move to volunteers?
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    dignin said:
    https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/02/what-i-saw-treating-the-victims-from-parkland-should-change-the-debate-on-guns/553937/

As I opened the CT scan last week to read the next case, I was baffled. The history simply read “gunshot wound.” I have been a radiologist in one of the busiest trauma centers in the nation for 13 years, and have diagnosed thousands of handgun injuries to the brain, lung, liver, spleen, bowel, and other vital organs. I thought that I knew all that I needed to know about gunshot wounds, but the specific pattern of injury on my computer screen was one that I had seen only once before.

In a typical handgun injury that I diagnose almost daily, a bullet leaves a laceration through an organ like the liver. To a radiologist, it appears as a linear, thin, grey bullet track through the organ. There may be bleeding and some bullet fragments.

I was looking at a CT scan of one of the victims of the shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, who had been brought to the trauma center during my call shift. The organ looked like an overripe melon smashed by a sledgehammer, with extensive bleeding. How could a gunshot wound have caused this much damage?

The deadliest bullet in the world is a .22 bullet.  When you see it up close it doesn't look like much but it's a killer.  Most people don't know or don't really care. 

Add .003 to that bullet and you have the .223 bullet.  The same bullet that is used in an AR-15.  Now everyone seems to care.

I don't understand your point and don't know what it has to do with the article. Can you explain?
    tbergs said:
    https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/02/what-i-saw-treating-the-victims-from-parkland-should-change-the-debate-on-guns/553937/

As I opened the CT scan last week to read the next case, I was baffled. The history simply read “gunshot wound.” I have been a radiologist in one of the busiest trauma centers in the nation for 13 years, and have diagnosed thousands of handgun injuries to the brain, lung, liver, spleen, bowel, and other vital organs. I thought that I knew all that I needed to know about gunshot wounds, but the specific pattern of injury on my computer screen was one that I had seen only once before.

In a typical handgun injury that I diagnose almost daily, a bullet leaves a laceration through an organ like the liver. To a radiologist, it appears as a linear, thin, grey bullet track through the organ. There may be bleeding and some bullet fragments.

I was looking at a CT scan of one of the victims of the shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, who had been brought to the trauma center during my call shift. The organ looked like an overripe melon smashed by a sledgehammer, with extensive bleeding. How could a gunshot wound have caused this much damage?

The deadliest bullet in the world is a .22 bullet.  When you see it up close it doesn't look like much but it's a killer.  Most people don't know or don't really care. 

Add .003 to that bullet and you have the .223 bullet.  The same bullet that is used in an AR-15.  Now everyone seems to care.

You're missing the point. Do you think semi-auto rifles such as the AR15 should be owned by the public? Yes, a .22 handgun or long gun is deadly, but the argument here is for the gun and its magazine capacity. If an assault rifle fired .22 rounds it would still be something that should be banned. No one is saying stop selling .223 rounds.
    Pointing out that a little .22 rifle can inflect a lot of damage too, 22 rifles can carry high capacity rounds also.  That was my point.

And yes you should be able to own an AR-15.  I'd make it more stringent to get though.
    Did you read the article? No one here has argued that any type of bullet is more dangerous than another. All bullets can kill, but the gun they fire from makes a difference in how fast and efficiently they can kill. Do you agree or disagree with that?

I had a .22 pistol and rifle as a kid. One of the first things my dad taught me about was how far those .22 rounds travel and the risk a stray can pose if not aimed with the background in mind. I know not everyone here has a history of handling guns, but that doesn't make their point invalid.
    A .22 is not a powerful round, in fact one of the least amount of force.

What it does have is fps, and can go a very far way.
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    unsung said:
    Infographic Is It Time To Bring Back The Assault Weapons Ban   Statista
    How many were attributed to "assault weapons"?

In 2011, the Chicago Police department issued a report,  in it 511 (iirc) people were murdered the past year.  ONE was found to be done by (any rifle).  

1 out of 511.  

These are not the problem you all make them out to be.
    you've convinced me - ban all the guns!
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    You actually don't have a problem with guns, you just have a problem with who has them.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    tbergs said:
    PJPOWER said:

I teach and I don’t think it is a big deal.  I m efficient in teaching and also have to be knowledable in cpr, crisis management response planning (lock down drills, evacuations etc) And epi pen provider to numerous students. Teachers were many hats already. And has pjpower said, it is voluntary. 
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    tbergs said:
    PJPOWER said:

Sorry, where did that come from?  Trump today was talking about arming school officials.  Did we move to volunteers?
    I don’t give two shits what Trump said about it.  In TX, no one is forcing anyone to do anything.  The only armed people are volunteers...and my stance is that they should be just that.  
  • Options
    unsung said:
    You actually don't have a problem with guns, you just have a problem with who has them.
    Would you submit to a psychological exam to purchase and own a firearm? Renewable on an annual basis?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    That is a slippery slope.  What other Rights would it apply to in order to exercise?
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    tbergs said:
    PJPOWER said:

I teach and I don’t think it is a big deal.  I m efficient in teaching and also have to be knowledable in cpr, crisis management response planning (lock down drills, evacuations etc) And epi pen provider to numerous students. Teachers were many hats already. And has pjpower said, it is voluntary. 
    No offense, two weeks of training per year doesn't make you qualified to take down an active shooter with an assault weapon.  As a father of three, I'd rather all these fucking weapons get off the street.  And I say this as an owner of 7 different weapons that I've had for years, none of them assault style rifles. A 30 30 Marlin deer slayer is as close as I get.  That's plenty for hunting and home defense, not street sweeping.  
  • Options
    unsung said:
    Would you submit to a psychological exam to purchase and own a firearm? Renewable on an annual basis?
    I would, would you be willing to pay for it?
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    unsung said:
    Don't make the tax payer support your habit or obsession.  Pay it yourself.  
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    tbergs said:
    PJPOWER said:

No offense, two weeks of training per year doesn't make you qualified to take down an active shooter with an assault weapon.  As a father of three, I'd rather all these fucking weapons get off the street.  And I say this as an owner of 7 different weapons that I've had for years, none of them assault style rifles. A 30 30 Marlin deer slayer is as close as I get.  That's plenty for hunting and home defense, not street sweeping.  
    But four days of CNN coaching can make teens, who can't even own firearms, experts on them.

Maybe CNN can teach the class.

Just out of curiosity,  I do not have TV, are they showing equal amounts of time from those that are pro-2A?
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    unsung said:
    Sounds like you are more interested with burdening people than putting your money where your mouth is...
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    unsung said:
    Nope.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    unsung said:
    Don't make the taxpayer fund Planned Parenthood or public schools if they don't have kids then.
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,600
    edited February 2018
    unsung said:
    That is a slippery slope.  What other Rights would it apply to in order to exercise?
    Its good enough for armed marshals in Texas public schools, why not the average person wanting to purchase and possess a firearm?

Brilliantati©
This discussion has been closed.