2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,683
    Even though I admired his passion, I never bought into the message.  He was a complex man.  He supported the escalation of the War in Vietnam but later on supported military disarmament.  Earlier on he was an anti-feminist but at the same time he plead for giving attention to AIDS, poverty and environmental concerns.  Imagine what he could have done with his energy and passion if he had focused more on the issues like waging peace and helping environment.  If only.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    His positions changed frequently because he followed the Profit rather than the Prophet.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    of all of the televangelists, I think he was one of the only ones with a somewhat liberal view point on some issues. Plus, I'm not sure he ever had a scandal. Even before the sex scandals in the 80s, Graham was never alone with any woman other than his wife. He also didn't take the donations of his church for a personal salary. He is one of the few that earned the respect of a nation.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    He was the last of the "decent" televangelists. His son sure is a prick. Too bad Billy didn't spend more time raising his son to be an honorable man. Oh well, ashes to ashes and all of that.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,683
    jeffbr said:
    He was the last of the "decent" televangelists. His son sure is a prick. Too bad Billy didn't spend more time raising his son to be an honorable man. Oh well, ashes to ashes and all of that.
    I didn't know that about his son.  What a shame. 

Even though I never bought the evangelism thing, Graham seemed like a decent guy among a pack of evangelical wolves.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    brianlux said:
    jeffbr said:
    I didn't know that about his son.  What a shame. 

Even though I never bought the evangelism thing, Graham seemed like a decent guy among a pack of evangelical wolves.
    Yeah, his son Franklin is a preacher, but the super-obnoxious kind. Hates Muslims, hates gays, is a Birther conspiracy theorist, see the Second Coming and Armageddon in natural disasters, etc... The Fox News crowd love him, though.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    I heard one of his sermons from the early 70s. He was talking about how Jesus was a human. He was from a land that touched Africa, asia, and Europe. He said Jesus wasn't a white man, he wasn't a black man. He was a man with brown skin. But most of all, he was a man for everyone. 

As someone who does not believe in a god and thinks religion is the cause of most of the world's problems, I like how he preached. 
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    RIP...99...that’s a damn good life.

its too bad that sometimes a thread announcing the passing of someone can not just be left for condolences ... people can talk about religion and politics when his funeral is over...flame away...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

its too bad that sometimes a thread announcing the passing of someone can not just be left for condolences ... people can talk about religion and politics when his funeral is over...flame away...
    If that is your desire, AET would be the appropriate place for this thread.
    This is the debate forum.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    edited February 2018

I don't see where anyone has said a bad word about him. His life was religion. How can you expect that not to be mentioned. As far as politics, Graham purposely wanted to keep region out of politics. But regrets not taking a more vocal stand for the civil rights movement. 

Edit: I didn't see gambs post, which is negative. But everyone is allowed their opinion. 

Post edited by Degeneratefk on
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    I am fairly confident that the OP posted this thread here to generate debate and not to eulogize Graham. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    riley540riley540 Denver Colorado Posts: 1,128
    I appreciate people that can spread the love that is the word of god. I’m not religious, but find a lot of beauty in it as a spectator. Lots of crappy religious people. This guy was alright in my book. Rest easy!!
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    rgambs said:

If that is your desire, AET would be the appropriate place for this thread.
    This is the debate forum.
    That’s true ... fair enough.   
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,152
    i thought he died years ago.

i'm not going to bash him, but anybody who becomes rich or famous preaching the reported word of god is still a sinner. rich man going to heaven, camel going through eye of needle, all that jazz.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."