• Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    edited February 2018
    unsung said:
    unsung said:
    riley540 said:
    riley540 said:
    riley540 said:
    These weapons need to be classified as WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION. Once this designation is officially placed on these guns, the  it's easy to ban them. No civilian is allowed to own, purchase, or sell a WMD. It's the same as Nixon putting weed on the federal schedule 1 list. All we need are some legislators with the balls to do it.
    It would launch a war. Not going to happen. 
    How so? Who would start this war? 
    The people. For the government infringing on their rights to protect themselves. 
    Since when do you need an AR-15, aka a weapon of mass destruction, to protect yourself? Does your shotgun not protect you? What about your pistols or hand guns? Do you need a suitcase bomb to protect yourself? Or a nuclear weapon? Maybe a biological weapon? 

I don't remember a war breaking out when the assault weapons ban was first initiated in the 90s. The fact of the matter is you don't need an AK-47 to protect yourself. Besides, nobody wants to take your guns away. I'm not opposed to allowing people that already own one to keep them. Just making it illegal to buy or sell them after they are classified as WMDs. 
    It sounded like you want an all gun ban. Although AR15s are not much different that many other guns. 

Im not a gun owner personally. Not my thing 
    Not at all. I am opposed to an all,gun ban. I want to see these assault rifles like AR-15s and AK-47s out of the hands of regular civilians. People simply do not need this type of military style weapon. 

Anyone that claims they have to have one for protection has been brainwashed by the NRA. People that claim they need these guns to hunt, should never be allowed to own a gun if they need to spray 45 rounds in a minute to kill a deer. 

So let's officially designate these weapons for what they are: weapons of mass destruction. 
    No military uses an AR15.  It is not military style.
    No, they use AR-14s, sure. But an AR-15 most definitely is a military grade weapon. It's design is specifically targeted to kill as much as possible in the shortest period of time. It is a WMD.
    Ok, so it would be an M16 (select fire) as the most likely used.  Of course there are some variants.

But really it is not military grade, I'm not pulling your chain.  Looks alone don't classify as military grade.  An M16 uses entirely different parts, yes there are some similarities but performance, or WMD as you say is different.

The reason we fight to protect our Rights to own an AR is because if another ban were enacted and then another shooting would certainly happen because it is likely real measures to curb this weren't enacted the antis would then want that gun banned.  Then another shooting, then another gun banned, the pretty soon you want our BB guns.

In reality there are thousands upon thousands of gun control laws, 1968 and 1986 being the two big ones, and criminals still ignore laws.
    That's a weak argument.  You're saying that if we ban AR weapons and the next shooting happens with a shotgun, then us libs willcwsnt to ban shotguns? No, not only are you wrong, but you're missing the point as to why the ARs and the AKs should be banned in the first place. 

It's not that those guns are being used. It's the amount of rounds that can be fired in  in a short amount time.
    Post edited by Degeneratefk on
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,997
    unsung said:
    unsung said:
    riley540 said:
    riley540 said:
    riley540 said:
    These weapons need to be classified as WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION. Once this designation is officially placed on these guns, the  it's easy to ban them. No civilian is allowed to own, purchase, or sell a WMD. It's the same as Nixon putting weed on the federal schedule 1 list. All we need are some legislators with the balls to do it.
    The people. For the government infringing on their rights to protect themselves. 
    Since when do you need an AR-15, aka a weapon of mass destruction, to protect yourself? Does your shotgun not protect you? What about your pistols or hand guns? Do you need a suitcase bomb to protect yourself? Or a nuclear weapon? Maybe a biological weapon? 

I don't remember a war breaking out when the assault weapons ban was first initiated in the 90s. The fact of the matter is you don't need an AK-47 to protect yourself. Besides, nobody wants to take your guns away. I'm not opposed to allowing people that already own one to keep them. Just making it illegal to buy or sell them after they are classified as WMDs. 
    It sounded like you want an all gun ban. Although AR15s are not much different that many other guns. 

Not at all. I am opposed to an all,gun ban. I want to see these assault rifles like AR-15s and AK-47s out of the hands of regular civilians. People simply do not need this type of military style weapon. 

Anyone that claims they have to have one for protection has been brainwashed by the NRA. People that claim they need these guns to hunt, should never be allowed to own a gun if they need to spray 45 rounds in a minute to kill a deer. 

So let's officially designate these weapons for what they are: weapons of mass destruction. 
    No, they use AR-14s, sure. But an AR-15 most definitely is a military grade weapon. It's design is specifically targeted to kill as much as possible in the shortest period of time. It is a WMD.
    Ok, so it would be an M16 (select fire) as the most likely used.  Of course there are some variants.

But really it is not military grade, I'm not pulling your chain.  Looks alone don't classify as military grade.  An M16 uses entirely different parts, yes there are some similarities but performance, or WMD as you say is different.

The reason we fight to protect our Rights to own an AR is because if another ban were enacted and then another shooting would certainly happen because it is likely real measures to curb this weren't enacted the antis would then want that gun banned.  Then another shooting, then another gun banned, the pretty soon you want our BB guns.

In reality there are thousands upon thousands of gun control laws, 1968 and 1986 being the two big ones, and criminals still ignore laws.
    Isn't the M16 based on the AR-15? Isn't the only big difference semi-auto vs full auto?
    I always understood the AR-15 to be the semi-auto version of the M16.

I would agree that looks shouldn't matter when it comes to gun control. But with the capability to hold large capacity magazines and fire rounds quickly, I don't see how the AR-15 is not a military style assault rifle?
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    unsung said:
    unsung said:
    riley540 said:
    riley540 said:
    riley540 said:

Wasn't the AR built on an M16 platform?

Slippery slope is lazy and intellectually bankrupt.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    benjs said:
    @benjs good info there. One thing I never understood though is how can you compare a country like Ireland and shooting deaths there to the US? The population is much lower. 

As for gun ownership in the US you should have to take a class to own one. 

Im not for mass registration either. If you want that then have the same law across all 50 states. 
    As mentioned by CM, this comparison was per capita (to normalize to account for population size differences). Of course, size and density likely have some impact on the trending, as more densely packed areas subjected to a mass shooting has the potential for greater fatalities, but it'd be hard to chalk up that radically different homicides per capita between USA and Ireland to population densities alone.

All of this being said, a person I know said it very eloquently: society shows what it values by what actions or inactions are taken. To add to this, the word "impossible" is a mental blocker which allows people to stroke their consciences while doing anything within the range of 'as little as possible' to 'the opposite of what they feel is right'. It seems to me that the terms "difficult" and "impossible" have been conflated to create an ultimate complacency of citizenry.

Kids offer something different. Kids are naive, impassioned, and lately - enraged. If this is channelled properly, this may be the beginning of a youth-generated engagement of society towards what some here call (either as a positive or negative) the liberalization of society. 
    I had this thought about youth too.  Are we that out of touch with their way of thinking?  Are a bunch of us just a bunch of older people in suits and all the young hip kids look at us like we are dinosaurs?

I do believe a movement is coming.
    With the average age of a house member 57 and a Senator 62, I'd say yes. I’d be willing to fathom that state legislators are close in age as well, on average.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    To boot... he's got his wife's shorts on.
    Image result for funny pictures of people with guns
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,685
    America most guns.  America most gun death.   Simple logic tells you this is messed up.  So simple.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    riley540riley540 Denver Colorado Posts: 1,128
    Shyner said:
    I am for an all gun ban .

It's time to stop the nonsense .

I am for an all knife ban. 

Changes are coming. 

If you feel threatened by anyone you should pray. 

Defending yourself is an excuse. 

Faith in your gun will get you nowhere. 

Have at it you fucking gun loving freaks. 

I know it's coming. 
    Knives!! How am I gunna cut my steak!!!
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    riley540 said:
    Shyner said:

Changes are coming. 

I know it's coming. 
    That'll be the next ban.  Vegan for you!
  • Options

The right-wing sliming of Douglas High students can’t be ignored. It’s too disgusting for that.

The trashing of these students — whose determination and passion are nothing but admirable — removes a rock to reveal several varieties of maggots. One is the “say anything to get attention” crowd that sees nothing as beneath them. You know their names.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/the-right-wing-sliming-of-douglas-high-students-cant-be-ignored-its-too-disgusting-for-that/2018/02/21/633fb72e-1712-11e8-8b08-027a6ccb38eb_story.html?utm_term=.05891501d450
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425
    Shyner said:

Changes are coming. 

I know it's coming. 
    weapons are for cowards.
  • Options
    yeeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaw
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    dignin said:
    Unsung?

(kidding)
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    unsung said:
    riley540 said:
    Shyner said:

Changes are coming. 

I know it's coming. 
    That'll be the next ban.  Vegan for you!
    Related image
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,192
    dignin said:

The right-wing sliming of Douglas High students can’t be ignored. It’s too disgusting for that.

The trashing of these students — whose determination and passion are nothing but admirable — removes a rock to reveal several varieties of maggots. One is the “say anything to get attention” crowd that sees nothing as beneath them. You know their names.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/the-right-wing-sliming-of-douglas-high-students-cant-be-ignored-its-too-disgusting-for-that/2018/02/21/633fb72e-1712-11e8-8b08-027a6ccb38eb_story.html?utm_term=.05891501d450

they are despicable human beings. 
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    dignin said:
    Unsung?

(kidding)
    Jealous?
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,284
    Funny I attended high school in the early 70’s I can’t recall not one mass school shooting happening, why ? Are they happening now with such frequency? 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    Funny I attended high school in the early 70’s I can’t recall not one mass school shooting happening, why ? Are they happening now with such frequency? 
    Not to mention, firearms were actually allowed on campuses back then.  I remember almost all pickups of the parking lot having gun racks and loaded firearms resting in them.  
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Shyner said:

Changes are coming. 

I know it's coming. 
    Interesting comments from someone who compared a punch in the face to getting raped and claims to be a victim of both. I would think you would be acutely aware that prayer does not stop violence and that sort of faith is just as deeply misplaced, if not more so.
    Post edited by rgambs on
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,284
    PJPOWER said:
    Not to mention, firearms were actually allowed on campuses back then.  I remember almost all pickups of the parking lot having gun racks and loaded firearms resting in them.  
    Not here in NY maybe in backwoods states like were you live not here I never saw any rifles on back of pickup truck windows ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,844
    PJPOWER said:
    Not here in NY maybe in backwoods states like were you live not here I never saw any rifles on back of pickup truck windows ...
    It definitely happened in rural sections of new york and new jersey.  I know because my father in law went to school near monticello, new york and him and his buddies would pack their rifles in their trucks, go to school and then head out to deer hunt.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,822
    You're opening the door to "because god's not allowed in public anymore."
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    Things change. That's just how it is. If any accounts of the 70s are to be believed, physical bullying was a huge problem. Kids getting severely beat and broken limbs seem to have been pretty common.  Granted, that's much better than getting shot to death, but violenceviolence is nothing new, only the way it is being expressed.
    Domestic violence, alcoholism, sexual assault, gang wars...all have improved.  Not to mention the fact that bombing is much less common domestically than it was in the 70s.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    We also don't have mass shootings in NY if you want to go that route.

In the last 30 years gun deaths have gone up, fact.

What else has happened that would mirror this phenomenon?

Internet?
    Different laws towards Mental Health?
    No spanking your kids?
    Not disciplining your kids?
    Medicating ourselves rather than getting real help?

Gun laws have actually increased over the years not decreased so there HAS to be an other underlying cause.
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    It definitely happened in rural sections of new york and new jersey.  I know because my father in law went to school near monticello, new york and him and his buddies would pack their rifles in their trucks, go to school and then head out to deer hunt.  
    Hell, I remember my father talking about how they were allowed to have their shotguns and rifles IN their dorm rooms back in the day...society has most definitely changed.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

Internet?
    No spanking your kids?

Gun laws have actually increased over the years not decreased so there HAS to be an other underlying cause.
    According to FBI statistics gun deaths have actually been on a decline the past 20 years in the US
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,844
    PJPOWER said:

Internet?
    No spanking your kids?

Tempo I definitely agree with all those changes.  I also think the internet, 24 hour news cycle and social media has had a huge impact on the rise of mass shootings.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    riley540 said:
    PJPOWER said:

Internet?
    No spanking your kids?

According to FBI statistics gun deaths have actually been on a decline the past 20 years in the US
    That should have been mass shootings, my apologies.mcgruff10 said:
    PJPOWER said:

Internet?
    No spanking your kids?

Tempo I definitely agree with all those changes.  I also think the internet, 24 hour news cycle and social media has had a huge impact on the rise of mass shootings.
    24HR news coverage fits in there too.

Just pointing out things to think about.
  • Options
    ShynerShyner Posts: 1,226
    Ban on all steak 2
  • Options
    Social media, news, ect. I think it’s all contributing. The major difference between now and the 1980s is the full time access to media. It’s in our hands all day 
  • Options
    I guess I think it’s more important to figure out why people do these things. We can have a greater affect if we can get to the science 
This discussion has been closed.