Options

PJ Family Unite: Letters of support to the students at Stoneman Douglas HS in Parkland FL

I hope this is OK to post here. I usually don't share these types of things but this tragedy hit home for me as my niece and nephew both go to MSD in Parkland.  They were on campus during the shooting. They are safe but unfortunately lost some very good friends last week.

My sister reached out asking for this to be shared around. If one kid can be comforted just slightly by a letter I write, than I'm damn sure gonna write it. If you can find time, I hope you can too.

One of the teachers at Stoneman Douglas High is reaching out for help. She wrote the following:

It is with a heavy heart and clouded eyes I am reaching out to this community of wonderful teachers to help my students heal from the horrific event they have experienced. Our kids are amazing and they want to get back to school and continue learning but first, they need time to just be together and begin the process of healing. I would like to greet them all on the first day back with letters of support. Not the email kind or the texting kind but real letters handwritten and signed by kids from our amazing community. I want them to hold the envelopes addressed from around the world to see that they are not alone and there are still kind and caring people in this world. If you would like to participate please send the letters to:

Ms Wolk-Rogers 

Stoneman Douglas High School

5901 Pine Island Road

Parkland, Florida 33076

Comments

• Options
    elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,048
    I can't get my letter out in the mail fast enough. Thank you for sharing
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    Thanks for sharing this.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,544
    Scott Biegel the teacher killed saving students lives was a Pearl Jam fan
  • Options
    Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 3,861
    I couldn't believe what was going on when the news broke. I can tell you that here in Miami the community is doing so much for the school and the victims. It is incredible to see everybody getting together to help out in anyway they can. Lines have been overwhelming alone for the blood drives. Thank you for sharing this. 
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,197
    there is a guy who posted in 'A moving train' who says his daughter goes to that school and was there that day.  see below.  

http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/269437/march-for-our-lives#latest
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    What a wonderful idea to show personal, individual support.

I will certainly do my part.  Thank you for sharing this with us :)
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,242
    edited February 2018
    Thanks for sharing. Gladly sending a letter. We need to do more to break the cycle. Our country is failing. Being "great again" should be about putting an end to the gun violence, not building walls, cutting taxes and banning foreigners. Then it would mean something.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    stevedsteved Posts: 651
    I live in Parkland, Fl about a 1/2 mile from where the Stoneman Douglas High School shooting occurred.

My next door neighbor is the head football coach, who lost two of his assistant coaches and another in critical condition. Another student who lived on my next block was killed. My wife's has three close friends who are teachers there, one who's classroom was the first fired upon who lost three children. It has been a rough, rough week for our community.

Very proud of all of the kids and parents on their resilience and ability to come together.
    1994 - Pensacola, Miami, Atlanta - 1995 - Milwaukee, Milwaukee, New Orleans (Tickets to Phoenix, Las Cruces, Austin, Shows Canceled) - 1996 - Randalls Island, Randalls Island, Charlotte, N.Charleston, Ft. Lauderdale - 1997 - Oakland -1998 - Alpine Valley, Alpine Valley, Chicago, West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach -  2000 - West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach, Phoenix, Las Vegas (10th Anniversary Show)  - 2003 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Atlanta, Nashville, Camden, Camden, MSG, MSG - 2004 - Kissimmee, Fl  -  2006 - Irving Plaza, Albany, Hartford, Denver, Denver, Las Vegas - 2007 - Ed w/ Jack Irons & Flea in LA  - 2008 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Columbia, Camden, Camden, Washington D.C. - 2009 - L.A., San Diego, Philly Spectrum Night 3 & 4  - 2010 - New Orleans, Columbus, Indianapolis, Hartford, MSG, MSG - 2011 - Ed - Hartford, Providence, Boston - 2011 - Alpine Valley X2 (PJ20), Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver - 2012 - Ed - Ft. Lauderdale x2, - 2012 / 2014 Beautiful Daughter "Emily" born 11/07/12. On the bench for 3 years! She's really cute though! - 2015 - Mexico City - 2016 - Ft. Laud, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Greenville, Raleigh, Columbia, Philly 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley Night 1 & 2 - 2016 - MSG, San Francisco, San Francisco, Seattle, Seattle (TOTD) - 2018 - Seattle 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2

• Options
    camsjamcamsjam Posts: 375
    Thanks for posting this. I will let these kids know how their efforts and pleas for change have inspired and given me hope. Bless these brave kids and teachers!
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Thank you for sharing. My heart just breaks for them. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1