Options

Best and safest way to buy tickets from fellow 10C member?

Looking for suggestions from those that have purchased tickets from fellow 10 Club Members that they didn't know.

What's the most preferred and safest way to go about buying tix from a fellow 10 Clubber that you don't know?
Seems like it would be awful risky just to shoot someone a bunch of paypal loot (like hundreds of dollars) and hope that they either email or snail mail you the tickets, so how do you protect yourself?
Thanks!
Worcester 2 '13
Hartford '13

Comments

• Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,503
    Pay with insurance (goods & services) or better yet have the seller send you an invoice. Cover additional fees on your end in addition to the ticket price. You have 180 days to dispute. Keep all emails. 
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    EnjoyBeingEnjoyBeing Posts: 125
    edited February 2018
    Safest way: pay day of show. Ticket for cash. Prior to the show/deal, talk on the phone, email, etc.  Get a sense of the person (and that person you). Be Faithful. There are lots of good people in 10c. 

Best/preferred way: ?? Your mileage may vary. 

Cheers. 

Post edited by EnjoyBeing on
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    edited February 2018

If you don't know the person...
    I'd offer to pay half up front as a "security" deposit and then pay the rest when the ticket is delivered!!
    This helps keep both parties accountable for the transaction & neither one is out the whole amount.

Post edited by derbydave on
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    riley540riley540 Denver Colorado Posts: 1,128
    I just seem to trust people on here! Being a paid for fan club weeds out the crooks! Always had good transactions through members 
  • Options
    vant0037vant0037 Posts: 6,071
    nuge93 said:
    Looking for suggestions from those that have purchased tickets from fellow 10 Club Members that they didn't know.

What's the most preferred and safest way to go about buying tix from a fellow 10 Clubber that you don't know?
    Seems like it would be awful risky just to shoot someone a bunch of paypal loot (like hundreds of dollars) and hope that they either email or snail mail you the tickets, so how do you protect yourself?
    Thanks!
    Stay in touch with them. 

Ive bought 10c tickets from members for shows in Leeds, UK, Los Angeles, Amsterdam and now London. I’ve sold to people who are out of town as well. It works out. Have faith!
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2010-05-01 NOLA (Jazz Fest)
    2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-07-11 Milton Keynes, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,728
    nuge93 said:

Thanks!
    Well when I bought tickets from you two years ago we exchanged real names, email addresses and cell phone numbers. Had some exchanges about who we were and the upcoming tour. Checked in about a month before the show. Had faith and then paid in cash for the tickets at the show. Overall a great experience and thank you again, QC was an awesome show. :) 
    I have paid in cash at time of ticket exchange and sent money over for email tickets and mailed hard tickets.
    The only one bad experience I had was when some one decided to pull the tickets I had bought. But even they refunded me my money - in fact that is how I found out the tickets were no longer mine. 
    There is a pretty solid check and balance in place between the 10C, folks here on the forum and even on FB. 
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    mindyjohnsonmindyjohnson Posts: 19
    edited February 2018
    We need a new thread on how to spot fraudulent tickets!
    Post edited by mindyjohnson on
  • Options
    We need to start a thread on how to spot fraudulent tickets!
  • Options
    chitownp76chitownp76 Posts: 1,435
    I’ve bought and sold plenty of tickets here on the forum. I’ve always met up with the person the day of the show and swapped face value cash for the tix. It’s great we have a community like this
    2014: Moline, IL
    2015: EV Solo (Metro Chicago)
    2016: Philadelphia PA 1, Philadelphia PA 2, New York City NY- MSG 1, EV Solo (Metro Chicago), Boston MA Fenway 1, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2017: EV Ohana Fest (Dana Point, CA), EV/Pete Townshend Quadrophenia Rosemont, IL
    2018: Seattle WA 1, Seattle WA 2, Missoula MT, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2, Boston MA Fenway 1, Boston MA Fenway 2
    2019: EV Tempe, AZ
    2020: PPD
    2022: EV & Earthlings Chicago 1 & 2, Phoenix AZ, Camden NJ, Nashville TN, St. Louis MO
    2023: EV Tempe, AZ, St Paul, MN 2, Chicago 1 & 2
    2024: Noblesville, IN, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
  • Options
    nuge93nuge93 Posts: 31
    nuge93 said:

Thanks!
    Well when I bought tickets from you two years ago we exchanged real names, email addresses and cell phone numbers. Had some exchanges about who we were and the upcoming tour. Checked in about a month before the show. Had faith and then paid in cash for the tickets at the show. Overall a great experience and thank you again, QC was an awesome show. :) 
    I have paid in cash at time of ticket exchange and sent money over for email tickets and mailed hard tickets.
    The only one bad experience I had was when some one decided to pull the tickets I had bought. But even they refunded me my money - in fact that is how I found out the tickets were no longer mine. 
    There is a pretty solid check and balance in place between the 10C, folks here on the forum and even on FB. 
    I'm really glad that ticket exchange between us worked out well for both of us...you got good tix at face and I was able to unload that extra pair...this time around, I'm on the other end and am buying...I'm really worried that if I buy tix that someone else is going to see if they can unload them on the secondary market for a much higher price, of course AFTER they agree to sell them to me, thereby leaving me to scramble and pay secondary market prices.  I just don't want to get taken for a serious financial ride and also be left without tickets.  There's always the worry that if you buy so-called Ticketmaster tickets (hard paper ones) sight unseen and get them mailed that they could be fraudulent.  I know that most members here are super cool, but I've encountered a few longtime 10C member d bags that will leave you hanging if they can find a better deal for themselves.  Shout out to northerdragon for being a good member of her word that met me when arranged and totally followed through to buy my extra pair with absolutely zero issues!

And yeah, northerndragon, the QC show was the bomb.  My favorite show from the 2016 tour....Noah playing onstage with the band, the setlist, good seats and vibe.  Cool people all around us.  Just awesome!
    Worcester 2 '13
    Hartford '13
  • Options
    1upstate1upstate near Syracuse NY Posts: 201
    New to these boards but I've done a lot of buying and selling, at face, to people I do not know. 

Buying/ Selling - Get to know the person you're dealing with. Not only their screen name but their real name, address, phone number. Talk to the person. Look them up (real name and username). Join them on social media if applicable.

Some diligence on your part will identify sketchy buyers/ sellers. Fan groups are real good at self policing the shit bags, scalpers and thieves. 

Selling

1. I ask for a down payment only, say half. It shows intent to go through with the transaction because unfortunately, people will blow you off if a better deal (better seats) come up. And it is a reason to stay in touch. 

2. Have buyer pay the fees for paypal. It protects them, and you, to a lesser extent. 

3. Stay in communication. Give them the benefit of the doubt (had someone buying tickets from me, bad mouth me on fan forum for disappearing 6 weeks before show, I was in a remote area, no service). 

4. If you need to meet people, either at the venue or elsewhere, be punctual. Don't play games. 

Buying

1. First and foremost, unless tickets are in your hand, don't pay in full. 
    2. Get the person's background. Why are they selling, where did they get them? Have them take screen of 10c page, forward email from 10c. 
    3. If you need to meet in person, be punctual and reasonable. Especially if they're not for seats. Somebody buying GA won't want to walk in at 7:30. or they may, communicate. 

There's more here but if it doesn't feel good, don't do it.  It's a long was from when I used to stuff an envelope with a pair of Grateful Dead tickets and hope that the ones I traded for showed up. They always did. 
    "I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine"
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,835
    get to know the person and meet in front of the box office.  I've met some really cool people through the boards.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Bought, sold and traded tickets with many people via Ten Club.  Most people like to communicate via text.  Never had a problem - and most do not want to tarnish their 10C reputation.  You guys can be a down-right lynching mob if one member wrongs another.  Ahhh the power of the internet and social media!!!