Options

America's Gun Violence

Comments

• Options
    RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    edited February 2018
    vaggar99 said:
    here's my plan: the really smart people like Trump and Tomi Lahren can lock themselves in a room until they come with a cure for mental illness.  in the meantime, the rest of us dummies can get some common sense gun laws passed.  what do you say?
    What common sense gun law?  Please...
    I'm sick and tired of hearing "do something!! guns guns guns."
    Republicans and NRA all have blood on their hands.  BS!
    Gun laws got nothing to do with this. 
    Every time there's a shooting it's an opportunity for liberals to go drum beating and try to advance their politics.
    More gun laws wouldn't have stopped this deranged dangerous kid.  Pass all the gun laws you want, this kid was still determined to kill.
    A more proactive FBI,  local police force, & School District should have stopped this kid.
    Unfortunately there are some very very troubled individuals living amongst us.  Look at a picture of this guy in Florida, who did the shooting, look at his eyes.  There's just nothing there.  Sorry, more gun laws won't do a thing about people like this.
    The mechanisms are actually all already in place to stop a guy like this.  If tip-offs would actually be taken seriously.
    The Local Police, FBI, and even the School itself all knew about this guy.
    The FBI was notified about this guy 6 weeks ago, the FBI should have communicated with the local police, the police were notified about this guy, but they did not get in contact with the FBI.  Last fall somebody piped up about the social media threatening videos this guy posted indicating his intentions.
    The school knew about this guy , yet did nothing to communicate with the local police or take measures to make sure the school grounds were secured.
    So the FBI, the police, and the school all were were warned & informed about the guy, yet none of these entities did a thing about it.
    Bureaucracies need to be overhauled & Political Correctness needs to be outlawed!!
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2018/02/16/as-florida-town-mourns-authorities-revisit-possible-warning-signs-before-school-massacre/
    Post edited by RYME on
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    If these individuals cannot shoot up at a school then they'll find some other place like shopping malls.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,542
  • Options
    This will go round and round and fuck all will happen. The world has come undone.
    Mental health care is a joke world wide.
    And guns . No way its changing . Too much money involved just like war.
    If this world was about love and care it would make no money for the fat cats who need more and more and more. The mores still havin more wtf
    Ignorance really is the mindset with these folk. As long as im ok attitude.
    Us as pearl jam fans are of a similar loving group peaceful in the main. This kid who acted in this way without a gun maybe would have punched someone or hit them with a bat at most. Just think about the difference it must be a no brainer but to some it doesn't seem to be. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Thoughts Arrive is on fire!
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Thoughts Arrive is on fire!
    I thought someone would comment on my how many posts in a row lol
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
    RYME said:
    vaggar99 said:
    here's my plan: the really smart people like Trump and Tomi Lahren can lock themselves in a room until they come with a cure for mental illness.  in the meantime, the rest of us dummies can get some common sense gun laws passed.  what do you say?
    Every time there's a shooting it's an opportunity for liberals to go drum beating and try to advance their politics.
    More gun laws wouldn't have stopped this deranged dangerous kid.  Pass all the gun laws you want, this kid was still determined to kill.
    A more proactive FBI,  local police force, & School District should have stopped this kid.
    Unfortunately there are some very very troubled individuals living amongst us.  Look at a picture of this guy in Florida, who did the shooting, look at his eyes.  There's just nothing there.  Sorry, more gun laws won't do a thing about people like this.
    The mechanisms are actually all already in place to stop a guy like this.  If tip-offs would actually be taken seriously.
    The FBI was notified about this guy 6 weeks ago, the FBI should have communicated with the local police, the police were notified about this guy, but they did not get in contact with the FBI.  Last fall somebody piped up about the social media threatening videos this guy posted indicating his intentions.
    The school knew about this guy , yet did nothing to communicate with the local police or take measures to make sure the school grounds were secured.
    So the FBI, the police, and the school all were were warned & informed about the guy, yet none of these entities did a thing about it.
    Bureaucracies need to be overhauled & Political Correctness needs to be outlawed!!
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2018/02/16/as-florida-town-mourns-authorities-revisit-possible-warning-signs-before-school-massacre/
    sounds like you have blood on your hands too
  • Options
    riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892
    riotgrl said:
    PJPOWER said:
    riotgrl said:
    Schools already have these things - armed personnel, locked doors, metal detectors and it doesn't stop these shooters.  Instead of investing more money in things that treat symptoms, start treating the root causes.  I teach high school in a district that has 21 high schools.  Do you know how many psychologists my school has?  1 - for 2 high schools which means she treats roughly 3,000 kids.  We have 4 counselors at my school that see 600 kids each - for mental health issues, class scheduling, college visits, testing, etc. etc.    We have no school nurses to care for our kids.  We have no social workers - how do we help these kids that have no help at home??  I have 31 kids in each class so I see roughly 150 kids a day - how well do you think I get to know EACH of these kids?  Hardly at all yet, I am responsible for not just teaching them but making sure they are safe and that if they are having a mental health issue that i somehow catch it.  All of this costs money and I live in Kentucky which continues to vilify us teachers and take more and more money from these kids.  There are ways and gun control legislation should be part of the overall effort but you've got to invest in kids at these schools.  That means increasing taxes to help kids who may not belong to you but if you help them then you help all of of us to improve.  
    Did this school have the metal detectors, locked doors, armed personnel?  It may have, but I have not seen that reported.  
    I know these regulations vary district by district and state by state.  I agree with pretty much everything else you said.  
    I gather by reading your post that you feel lack of mental health treatment is the root cause?
    I think that mental health issues play a role for some shootings but I do not think that applies to every situation.  I am all for gun control, background checks, mental health checks, gun registries and whatever we can do to keep people safe.  The second amendment is only a part of the Constitution - what about the general welfare, the common good?

As a teacher, I am a nurturer and the teachers that I know that aren't super nurturing are the very ones that want to be armed and they are the last ones that I would trust to tote a gun around my school.  That includes the 4 security guards that we have, 2 of whom are retired cops.  I believe that those 2 carry guns on to campus even though they are not supposed to do so at my school because they are not SRO's (school resource officers).  Those two men worry me and they are trained to have guns.  I understand that we don't live in an ideal world and that many of you are for arming people in schools, metal detectors, fences, gates, guards, etc. to keep kids safe but really, as someone said previously, this is NOT a police state.  Our schools should be places for our children to grow, blossom, and generally a positive, safe space.  I get it, fixing all those things I mentioned earlier are most likely not going to happen, but Jesus, when are we going to put kids first?  The ignorant moron that is the governor of my state blames violent video games and rap music and everything but the slashing of education and social services that he is doing.  He wants prayer in the school (already is here) and Bible classes taught because he thinks that will magically make up for the problems of poverty.  These other countries ban guns but in my mind they have something we don't have in this country and that is concern for our fellow citizens (of course, I don't mean everyone).  When poor people are demonized rather than helped, well, then, we get compounded problems that feel insurmountable.
    What a moron that governor is.
    Fuck him and his religious shit.
    I am sick and tired and angry at idiots blaming violent video games, rap music, heavy metal music.
    Me and many of my peers grew up with these and are completely peaceful beings.
    I find it insane that children need to go to school in an unsafe environment and with all this security. I picture in my mind a prison environment. 

Exactly!  Schools are already institution like places and now we want to make everyone "safe" by arming teachers, installing armed guards every 5 feet, barbed wire fences, etc etc.  Fix the immediate problem and pass common sense gun legislation then start working on the big stuff.  Give me the psychologists I need, give me time to get to know a small group of kids in an advisory group so they can all be connected to at least one adult, give me social workers.  Instead of $80 billion to the defense budget, invest in our kids!

At the root of every problem in America is a complete lack of empathy for our fellow humans.  When some are willing to take health care, food stamps, education from our most vulnerable that points to a me first and me only attitude.
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,958
    RYME said:
    vaggar99 said:
    Yes maybe the FBI blew a tip but the kid still had an AR-15 assault rifle.  

He should not have been allowed to buy that rifle or the ammo.  Society should make it as difficult as possible for people like him to buy that type of weapon.  He walked into a store and bought it.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,601
    Our public schools can’t even afford to hire teachers making $30k and we’re in the process of lowering taxes and cutting revenue, what in the fuck makes anyone think that we can afford to arm and train teachers

Also, it’s a stupid fucking idea.

Move along 

• Options
    Yeah, let’s tell this teacher that not only does she have to go to college for education she also has to carry a gun and be trained. That seems like a grrrrreeeeeaaaat idea.

https://twitter.com/shannonrwatts/status/964007848886718464

Get the fuck outta here
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    RYME said:
    vaggar99 said:
    Why does this not happen regularly anywhere else?

look at his eyes lol. 
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    RYME said:
    vaggar99 said:

WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,237
    edited February 2018
    RYME said:
    vaggar99 said:
    People make mistakes and not every shooter draws attention to themselves. In this case it sounds like prevention was a possibility. With that said, it seems like you think nothing is wrong with the current availability of assault rifles, lack of a national gun registry, and the need for stricter backgrounds that include a psychological exam? We should be laying this problem solely on systems already in place so you and your buddies can easily purchase as many guns and ammunition as you want?

Keep paying those NRA dues so nothing changes.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    RYME said:
    vaggar99 said:
    People make mistakes and not every shooter draws attention to themselves. In this case it sounds like prevention was a possibility. With that said, it seems like you think nothing is wrong with the current availability of assault rifles, lack of a national gun registry, and the need for stricter backgrounds that include a psychological exam? We should be laying this problem solely on systems already in place so you and your buddies can easily purchase as many guns and ammunition as you want?

Keep paying those NRA dues so nothing changes.
    Seriously, what world do we live in? 

2A supporters would rather live in 1984 with the Thought Police than have reasonable gun restrictions? 

"We could stop gun violence if we just monitored every citizen, all the time."

People like RYME would be the first reported: "so he posted daily about his love for guns, we should have seen it coming but did nothing...."
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Looks like our teachers my be taking the opposite response of arming themselves. Darn, the NRA was probably looking forward to one nation under fire with assault rifles and ammunition for all.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/02/a-nationwide-teacher-walkout-could-shake-us-out-of-our-mass-shooting-stupor.html
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Yeah, let’s tell this teacher that not only does she have to go to college for education she also has to carry a gun and be trained. That seems like a grrrrreeeeeaaaat idea.

https://twitter.com/shannonrwatts/status/964007848886718464

Get the fuck outta here
    Nobody made that suggestion at all though...you are arguing against a straw man.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,001
    tbergs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    tbergs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:
    Root of the problem lol you all are literally insane.
    What problem has America EVER gotten to the root of?  
    Logistically, a teacher can't stop a shooting but we can collectively as a society solve the logistics of poverty, mental health, and firearm proliferation in no time, eh?

Other countries have solved their gun violence problems. See Australia, Canada, Japan, etc. for the model.

And you missed my point which I probably never made very clear: dumping this problem on the shoulders of teachers who simply wish to teach is not right for countless reasons.

If that is the approach the US wants to take... then station trained soldiers in every school and have soldiers do soldierly duties on the homeland.
    I know plenty of teachers that would gladly jump on the opportunity, especially if there was a pay incentive behind it...but I’m in TX, so...
    This might be so... but it is still inappropriate.
    Yeah and expressed those same sentiments 6 years ago when 20 little kids were slaughtered.
    What's changed since then?  How high does the body count need to get before it becomes appropriate?
    So put a f**king navy seal in the school then. Training the wierd art teacher to leave his shading lesson, run to the gun safe, grab the school gun, and make his way through the mayhem to deal with some f**king idiot is not the answer.

My gawd, RG. I know where you sit with this issue and I know you're hot under the collar, but you're not thinking clearly enough here in my mind.
    Why not, if that art teacher has displayed the proficiency requirements and runs through scenario trainings?  Seems like a better approach that expecting them to stand in front of the students taking bullets in hopes that the students can escape.  In his particular shooting, one or two armed individuals with good training would have stopped the perp in his tracks.
    They will all need to open carry at the schools. Think about that. Your kids teachers will need to look like Wyatt Earp wandering the halls of your elementary.

I like how everyone acts like we have tried all of these measures and they have failed so the only solution is to arm and lockdown schools. We literally have tried zero actual measures to curb gun violence.
    Wyatt Earp...really?  Maybe thinking that they would all need to look like “Wyatt Earp” is also the problem...
    Why would they have to open carry?  Again, even a stun gun would be better than nothing at all.  You have got to have SOME type of defense.  If they want the pay increase, then they would have to go above and beyond in the training and actually run scenario based drills like the police and security guards do.  
    Well, if you want them to be able to stop a threat at any time they will need to be carrying. I guess they could conceal, but that comes with it's own caveats. And honestly, they'll need more than a 9mm if they're expected to have a high probability to stop someone with an AR-15. On top of that, we want our teachers to not only be highly skilled educators, but take the time to train to be a proficient tactical response as well. Glad we have all this money to throw around. That teacher should be paid about $100,000 with those dual roles.
    If it got a teacher out of those ridiculously lame and boring routine professional trainings we have all the time, they’d all probably volunteer to do it for free.
    but is still not a good idea. Even if every teacher was armed someone could still come in and kill dozens before he was stopped if they were really intent on it.

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,001
    edited February 2018
    the shit i've been reading on twitter this morning from the right. all of a sudden it's a mental health issue. for decades the republicans refuted any claim that mental illness was actually a problem. as soon as they figured out they could use it as an excuse to deflect from the gun problem, voila, all of a sudden they agree it's a problem. disgusting people. 
    That isn’t a new argument. I’ve heard mental illness as a cause going back to Columbine 20 years ago.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,958
    RYME said:
    vaggar99 said:
    Why does this not happen regularly anywhere else?

look at his eyes lol. 

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Yeah, look at his eyes is ridiculous.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    Yeah, look at his eyes is ridiculous.
    Ya you can tell immediately! We should ban eyes.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    riley540riley540 Denver Colorado Posts: 1,128
    Nothing has changed because neither Republicans or Democrats can come up with a reasonable plan to help fix the problem. Let’s not forget that nothing changed in the 8 years before the Don. It’s more complicated than we think. (I have no plan). 
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
  • Options
    Guns don't kill people . The FBI kills people. 

Got any memes blaming rap music or video games?
  • Options
    riley540 said:
    Nothing has changed because neither Republicans or Democrats can come up with a reasonable plan to help fix the problem. Let’s not forget that nothing changed in the 8 years before the Don. It’s more complicated than we think. (I have no plan). 
    It gets exhausting explaining this every time, but Obama only had control of all branches for 2 years and they spent that time on the ACA. By the time Sandy Hook happened, he was handcuffed on a response. There has been plenty of proposals the last 8 years, but they're all dead in the water while the gun lobby buys votes.

Yes, something should have happened a long time ago after Columbine, but it seems no one quite understood where we were heading yet. It's never too late to be the change you want to see, but this admin is too busy rolling back regs, lowering taxes for the rich and deporting immigrants who have been here for 20 years.
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,519
    tbergs said:
    riley540 said:
    It gets exhausting explaining this every time, but Obama only had control of all branches for 2 years and they spent that time on the ACA. By the time Sandy Hook happened, he was handcuffed on a response. There has been plenty of proposals the last 8 years, but they're all dead in the water while the gun lobby buys votes.

Yes, something should have happened a long time ago after Columbine, but it seems no one quite understood where we were heading yet. It's never too late to be the change you want to see, but this admin is too busy rolling back regs, lowering taxes for the rich and deporting immigrants who have been here for 20 years.
    Took all of 3 seconds for Trump to reverse the checks on Mentally Ill buying guns though.

• Options
    It takes a high school student to speak the truth.
    Watch the while video....

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,873
    tbergs said:
    riley540 said:

The only thing Congress is capable of doing is writing one bill every two years?  Don’t fool yourself, Democrats want to save their jobs as much as Republicans. That s why they didn’t do shit with gun control when they had the chance and that s why republican won’t do it now. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
This discussion has been closed.