Options

America's Gun Violence

Comments

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Everyone has a tipping point and yesterday was it, i am fucking done with ar-15's.  It took me a while to come around but  as a hunter I have come to realize there is zero reason to have these.  Their real and only purpose is to kill.  I know it isn't going to happen but they should be illegal, give me a bolt action with a scope on it any day of the week.  

Looking forward to some shows this summer!

This post is awesome.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    @unsung
    I'm not just goading you or trying to get a gotcha moment.

This cuts to the center of the gun debate.  Gun proponents point to mental health and law enforcement prevention, but they also refuse to accept any restrictions on the gun rights of people who are deemed a risk but haven't yet been convicted of a serious crime.  Even the gun-hatinest libtart out there isnt suggesting we put a Tuesday afternoon Nikolas Cruz in prison for his scary behavior, so what can we do to "address the source" if we can't take/prevent his access to guns or lock him up?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    unsung said:
    More effective than your bullshit.
    funny, if you read "my bullshit" a page ago, you'd see it is the exact same as your bullshit. 

but I want to take it even further than your bullshit. who wants to protect kids again?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    mcgruff10 said:
    Everyone has a tipping point and yesterday was it, i am fucking done with ar-15's.  It took me a while to come around but  as a hunter I have come to realize there is zero reason to have these.  Their real and only purpose is to kill.  I know it isn't going to happen but they should be illegal, give me a bolt action with a scope on it any day of the week.  

:clap:
    :rock_on:

You are into historical weapons and some of them are very potentially deadly in a mass shooting situation, but most are nothing like the modern tactical rifles we are seeing in terms of magazine capacity and mobility.
    We can't go off the deep end and eliminate every kind of gun, but let's AT LEAST make it so that shitworms like Cruz need to be ridiculously skilled to carry out such carnage.
    This kid isn't killing 17 people with a 14 shot tube fed rifle.  Not happening.  Gotta start somewhere.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,937
    benjs said:
    rgambs said:
    Deployed military troops only, police shouldn't have them either.

Unfortunately, our moronic and paranoid society can't put Pandora back in her jar.
    On the topic of putting her back in her jar, how does a country successfully collect all guns, including those of traceable and legally obtained firearms, and untraceable and illegally obtained firearms? To play devil’s advocate, I could see an argument being made that this would likely result in civilians surrendering their firearms and those with nefarious intent not, leaving only armed criminals.

Short term pain, Benjs.

The change effort has to start and the effects won't be felt by the first generation.
    Thirty, I agree with you wholeheartedly.

Where I have concern is that a politician's goal is not a long-term one, it's quite simply maximizing their profitability while possessing a government seat, and/or seeking re-election to extend that capacity to profit, lives be damned. The public and politicians have failed at holding policy-makers accountable for policies which result in fatalities, and as such, motivation to change is clearly low for politicians because implications are nil, with respect to restricting firearm policies.

My philosophy for progress is that the roadblocks or risks need to be identified first, resolved or mitigated second, and sold to the keyholders to progress finally, in order to get anywhere meaningful. Since the incentive that politicians respond to is profitability which come from lobbyists who are not accountable to the public, I truly don't know how to resolve the roadblock of meaningful ramifications for doing the wrong thing, and/or meaningful incentive for doing the right thing.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    mcgruff10 said:

Good stuff.
  • Options
    benjs said:
    benjs said:
    rgambs said:

Unfortunately, our moronic and paranoid society can't put Pandora back in her jar.
    On the topic of putting her back in her jar, how does a country successfully collect all guns, including those of traceable and legally obtained firearms, and untraceable and illegally obtained firearms? To play devil’s advocate, I could see an argument being made that this would likely result in civilians surrendering their firearms and those with nefarious intent not, leaving only armed criminals.

Short term pain, Benjs.

The change effort has to start and the effects won't be felt by the first generation.
    Thirty, I agree with you wholeheartedly.

Where I have concern is that a politician's goal is not a long-term one, it's quite simply maximizing their profitability while possessing a government seat, and/or seeking re-election to extend that capacity to profit, lives be damned. The public and politicians have failed at holding policy-makers accountable for policies which result in fatalities, and as such, motivation to change is clearly low for politicians because implications are nil, with respect to restricting firearm policies.

My philosophy for progress is that the roadblocks or risks need to be identified first, resolved or mitigated second, and sold to the keyholders to progress finally, in order to get anywhere meaningful. Since the incentive that politicians respond to is profitability which come from lobbyists who are not accountable to the public, I truly don't know how to resolve the roadblock of meaningful ramifications for doing the wrong thing, and/or meaningful incentive for doing the right thing.

This is the harsh reality.

Upon initiating meaningful gun reform... the initial results will not look favourably on the leader who is at the core of the change effort. The US has a large sector of population that routinely fails to understand cause and effect; therefore, the pressure a politician would face as gun reforms 'seem' to be failing would be immense.

The change has to come from people like Scruffy who are finally fed up with the problem. The reform must be demanded by a solid majority of the citizens that understand the results will be there for their children and grandchildren and they must stay the course.

I'm not speaking to the blueprint (buy back programs, grandfathering, limited ammunition sales, etc.). But there is a plan that will work.
  • Options
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,283
    KC138045 said:
    benjs said: I
    rgambs said:

Tell everyone you know to never vote republican again. Every day.

Dems need this to be their central message in Nov.

Once enough Dems get elected, pass an amendment banning 2a.

If not enough Dems get elected for an amendment, but do start to win majorities, start to pass tons of different gun regulations keeping the courts busy until enough Dems get elected.

In the meantime, in the 37 states that allow dwi checkpoints, set up gun safety checkpoints. Everywhere

It can be done
    I could be wrong but didn't the Democrats have majority control under Obama?  What was done about gun control then?

This is not just a Republican or Democrat issue.  The blame needs to be put on the entire government.
    After Sandy Hook Obama did try to bring up gun control you know what the NRA offered “ For teachers to have guns at their classes “ ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    unsung said:
    Sinking.  No, I'm the one that actually wants to protect these kids.  
    how can you possibly make such a ridiculous claim when you want no gun reform? what do you think we want gun reform FOR exactly? just to stick it to the gun owners?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,283
    mcgruff10 said:

I applaud you for your honesty !!
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    KC138045 said:
    benjs said: I
    rgambs said:

Tell everyone you know to never vote republican again. Every day.

Dems need this to be their central message in Nov.

Once enough Dems get elected, pass an amendment banning 2a.

If not enough Dems get elected for an amendment, but do start to win majorities, start to pass tons of different gun regulations keeping the courts busy until enough Dems get elected.

In the meantime, in the 37 states that allow dwi checkpoints, set up gun safety checkpoints. Everywhere

It can be done
    I could be wrong but didn't the Democrats have majority control under Obama?  What was done about gun control then?

This is not just a Republican or Democrat issue.  The blame needs to be put on the entire government.

The Democrats under Obama had control until 2010. By the time of the Sandy Hook shooting, the Republicans had Congress, and Congress proceeded to block essentially any new legislation dealing with gun control, despite Obama's efforts. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    mcgruff10 said:

My main man Mcgruff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post of the fucking decade.

Bravo, brother, bravo
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,884
    mcgruff10 said:

Takes a big man to admit something like this. Bravo, dude. The only real hope we have to fix this is for people's minds to change.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    It's not both parties.

The gun lobby: See how much your representative gets

$5,900,000

given to Republicans in 2016 election cycle

$106,000

given to Democrats in 2016 election cycle

https://www.politico.com/interactives/2017/gun-lobbying-spending-in-america-congress/
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,538
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    dignin said:
    It's not both parties.

The gun lobby: See how much your representative gets

$5,900,000

given to Republicans in 2016 election cycle

$106,000

given to Democrats in 2016 election cycle

https://www.politico.com/interactives/2017/gun-lobbying-spending-in-america-congress/
    Politico is like Michael Moore, they get close but miss the point, focus on the symptom. In any case lobbying congress is perfectly legal, so is buying candidates.
    Funny that I never hear about "bomb control" and those related lobbyists and spending. I guess dead kids here are more important then dead kids "over there".

Take a look at outside spending from the NRA!!
    Total Independent Expenditures: $52,582,309
         For Democrats: $265
         Against Democrats: $37,010,516
         For Republicans: $17,385,437
         Against Republicans: $2,281

https://www.opensecrets.org/outsidespending/detail.php?cycle=2016&cmte=National+Rifle+Assn

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,598
    How can anyone feel so strongly about guns that they are willing for kids to be massacred time and time and time again?

If you are sick over and over again and there is one common symptom, you're going to try to treat that symptom.

This country sucks.
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    unsung said:
    Unsung...

You consistently knock the police and the feds for intruding on people's lives, yet here you are suggesting they failed at their job because they never intruded on people's lives. What do you want: offering police the license to do their job effectively... or limitations so they do not interfere with Americans living the life of freedom?

And on a side note... did you know Ron Paul doesn't wash his hands after he uses the stalls?
    There is a mf-ing difference between mass spying on Americans and collecting everything we do and actually investigating someone who actually said that they were going to shoot up a fucking school!

Jesus f-ing Christ do you not see that?

And what RP does is not related to this issue.  What point is that in relation to the topic?  None.  
    Without government..... who would do the investigating?
  • Options

STATEMENT FROM PRESIDENT DONALD J. TRUMP

My fellow Americans, today I speak to a nation in grief. Yesterday, a school filled with innocent children and caring teachers became the scene of terrible violence, hatred, and evil.

Around 2:30 yesterday afternoon, police responded to reports of gunfire at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida -- a great and safe community. There, a shooter, who is now in custody, opened fire on defenseless students and teachers. He murdered 17 people and badly wounded at least 14 others.

Our entire nation, with one heavy heart, is praying for the victims and their families. To every parent, teacher, and child who is hurting so badly, we are here for you -- whatever you need, whatever we can do, to ease your pain. We are all joined together as one American family, and your suffering is our burden also.

No child, no teacher, should ever be in danger in an American school. No parent should ever have to fear for their sons and daughters when they kiss them goodbye in the morning.

Each person who was stolen from us yesterday had a full life ahead of them -- a life filled with wondrous beauty and unlimited potential and promise. Each one had dreams to pursue, love to give, and talents to share with the world. And each one had a family to whom they meant everything in the world.

Today, we mourn for all of those who lost their lives. We comfort the grieving and the wounded. And we hurt for the entire community of Parkland, Florida that is now in shock, in pain, and searching for answers.

To law enforcement, first responders, and teachers who responded so bravely in the face of danger: We thank you for your courage. Soon after the shooting, I spoke with Governor Scott to convey our deepest sympathies to the people of Florida and our determination to assist in any way that we can. I also spoke with Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi and Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel.

I'm making plans to visit Parkland to meet with families and local officials, and to continue coordinating the federal response.

In these moments of heartache and darkness, we hold on to God’s word in scripture: “I have heard your prayer and seen your tears. I will heal you.”

We trust in that promise, and we hold fast to our fellow Americans in their time of sorrow.

I want to speak now directly to America’s children, especially those who feel lost, alone, confused or even scared: I want you to know that you are never alone and you never will be. You have people who care about you, who love you, and who will do anything at all to protect you. If you need help, turn to a teacher, a family member, a local police officer, or a faith leader. Answer hate with love; answer cruelty with kindness.

We must also work together to create a culture in our country that embraces the dignity of life, that creates deep and meaningful human connections, and that turns classmates and colleagues into friends and neighbors.

Our administration is working closely with local authorities to investigate the shooting and learn everything we can. We are committed to working with state and local leaders to help secure our schools, and tackle the difficult issue of mental health.

Later this month, I will be meeting with the nation’s governors and attorney generals, where making our schools and our children safer will be our top priority. It is not enough to simply take actions that make us feel like we are making a difference. We must actually make that difference.

In times of tragedy, the bonds that sustain us are those of family, faith, community, and country. These bonds are stronger than the forces of hatred and evil, and these bonds grow even stronger in the hours of our greatest need.

And so always, but especially today, let us hold our loved ones close, let us pray for healing and for peace, and let us come together as one nation to wipe away the tears and strive for a much better tomorrow.

Thank you. And God Bless you all. Thank you very much.

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options

Statement by the President on the School Shooting in Newtown, CT

James S. Brady Press Briefing Room

3:15 P.M. EST

THE PRESIDENT:  This afternoon, I spoke with Governor Malloy and FBI Director Mueller.  I offered Governor Malloy my condolences on behalf of the nation, and made it clear he will have every single resource that he needs to investigate this heinous crime, care for the victims, counsel their families.

We’ve endured too many of these tragedies in the past few years.  And each time I learn the news I react not as a President, but as anybody else would -- as a parent.  And that was especially true today.  I know there’s not a parent in America who doesn’t feel the same overwhelming grief that I do. 

The majority of those who died today were children -- beautiful little kids between the ages of 5 and 10 years old.  They had their entire lives ahead of them -- birthdays, graduations, weddings, kids of their own.  Among the fallen were also teachers -- men and women who devoted their lives to helping our children fulfill their dreams. 

So our hearts are broken today -- for the parents and grandparents, sisters and brothers of these little children, and for the families of the adults who were lost.  Our hearts are broken for the parents of the survivors as well, for as blessed as they are to have their children home tonight, they know that their children’s innocence has been torn away from them too early, and there are no words that will ease their pain. 

As a country, we have been through this too many times.  Whether it’s an elementary school in Newtown, or a shopping mall in Oregon, or a temple in Wisconsin, or a movie theater in Aurora, or a street corner in Chicago -- these neighborhoods are our neighborhoods, and these children are our children.  And we're going to have to come together and take meaningful action to prevent more tragedies like this, regardless of the politics.

This evening, Michelle and I will do what I know every parent in America will do, which is hug our children a little tighter and we’ll tell them that we love them, and we’ll remind each other how deeply we love one another.  But there are families in Connecticut who cannot do that tonight.  And they need all of us right now.  In the hard days to come, that community needs us to be at our best as Americans.  And I will do everything in my power as President to help.

Because while nothing can fill the space of a lost child or loved one, all of us can extend a hand to those in need -- to remind them that we are there for them, that we are praying for them, that the love they felt for those they lost endures not just in their memories but also in ours.

May God bless the memory of the victims and, in the words of Scripture, heal the brokenhearted and bind up their wounds.

END  
    3:20 P.M. EST

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • Options

Gun control after the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_control_after_the_Sandy_Hook_Elementary_School_shooting

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    maybe it's my own bias, but Trump's statement rings so hollow, and Obama's speaks from the heart. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    maybe it's my own bias, but Trump's statement rings so hollow, and Obama's speaks from the heart. 
    Well Trump didn't write a word of it. You can tell, 100%. Anyone who thinks he had anything to do with those words is an idiot. He doesn't talk like that. Obama I'm sure wrote his himself or at least played a big hand in writing it. It's easy to tell the difference.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Well Trump didn't write a word of it. You can tell, 100%. Anyone who thinks he had anything to do with those words is an idiot. He doesn't talk like that. Obama I'm sure wrote his himself or at least played a big hand in writing it. It's easy to tell the difference.
    Plus, it took Team Trump treason a full day to make a statement. Guess his executive time couldn't be interfered with? Or, he had to wait for a speech writer to come up with something to say?

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    of course he didn't. Not sure why the need for "anyone who thinks so is an idiot" though. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    Paul “Beholden” Ryan

Ryan rejects call for special committee on gun violence, says House has passed bills to address the problem - USA TODAY https://apple.news/AjYfWSCExTG67CKLEpWJ1Xw

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,993
    PJ_Soul said:
    I usually assume any time any president gives a comment it was written for him. Obama and Trump were no exception.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,884
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I usually assume any time any president gives a comment it was written for him. Obama and Trump were no exception.
    Obama had a speechwriting staff like other politicians but he would often take a pen to early drafts and make changes. Many politicians I'm sure do the same. Many, but not Donald Trump.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
This discussion has been closed.