America's Gun Violence

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    unsung said:
    Numerous kids said this guy was nuts, numerous kids said they expected him to do this.  

Want to do something?  Address the source.
    what is the source? mental illness has been around since the dawn of time. AR-15's have not. 

will making AR-15's illegal make all shootings stop? no, but instead of 17 dead, there may have been 1-4. it's something. saves 13-16 familes from being destroyed forever. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    unsung said:
    Numerous kids said this guy was nuts, numerous kids said they expected him to do this.  

what is this mysterious 'source of the problem' you keep referring to?

bc I look around and see people like you, with your mentality, are the source of the problem.  how do you suggest we fix your brokenness? 
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • 09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    benjs said:
    rgambs said:
    Deployed military troops only, police shouldn't have them either.

Unfortunately, our moronic and paranoid society can't put Pandora back in her jar.
    On the topic of putting her back in her jar, how does a country successfully collect all guns, including those of traceable and legally obtained firearms, and untraceable and illegally obtained firearms? To play devil’s advocate, I could see an argument being made that this would likely result in civilians surrendering their firearms and those with nefarious intent not, leaving only armed criminals.
    yes, that is a valid argument in the short term. you have to give incentive. buyback programs (where it is enticing enough for even criminals want to turn them in). then, for those that it wasn't enticing enough, make a law that any civilian caught carrying/owning/storing one gets automatic 10 years in prison, regardless of circumstance. 

would it result in more death in the short term if only criminals own them? possibly, but i doubt it (but of course that's the fear campaign the NRA/gun lobby would naturally take). but aren't the vast majority of these shootings done by people who own legally, or the owner's kid "borrowed" it?

but honestly, if the greedy government doesn't want to do that, then step the fuck up and fund armed security and metal detectors at every fucking school in the country. or rebuild all school in a circle where the playground is in the middle and during school hours everything is on complete lockdown. sound preposterous? yeah, so does letting children die and doing nothing about it. 

but that only addresses the school shootings. these shooters would just adjust their target to malls or movie theatres or concerts. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Estimates are between 5 to 10million AR15 ‘s in circulation presently , I’d say we have a problem !!
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    unsung said:

So you are saying that rumors and whispers should be grounds for, what?  Confiscation of weapons?  Involuntary detention?
    Elaborate on what you mean by addressing the source.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    Estimates are between 5 to 10million AR15 ‘s in circulation presently , I’d say we have a problem !!
    that's insane!!
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,357
    edited February 2018
    Smellyman said:
    You know mental illness is certainly PART of the problem and part of the solution here.  But I'm tired of gun nuts that use it as a freakin excuse to do nothing about the other parts of the problem!

I feel like the liberals got worked on this issue.  They finally got people talking mental health so they went with it and now the Pro-anygunIwant crowd is using it an argument FOR their side of the discussion.  Sickens me.
    and Trump reversed Obama's gun checks for people w/ mental illness. 

Yay freedom!
    Edited
    Post edited by stuckinline on
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    CM189191 said:
    unsung said:

bc I look around and see people like you, with your mentality, are the source of the problem.  how do you suggest we fix your brokenness? 
    I'm not the broken one, check your mental deficiency.

All of you want to get rid of a device, no mention of why are so many kids pumped full of psychotropic drugs and other pharmaceuticals.  It is the fault of the device is your answer, and frankly it is cowardly.  All of you want to treat the symptoms and not the disease.  This is why I no longer debate this issue.  I despise the NRA, and if any of you knew the history you'd know why, but you blame them. The NRA is a joke, the NRA has actually written most of the gun control laws that we have now.  I have this same debate with Republicans when I tell them that Reagan signed the largest gun control in 40 years.  

The FBI knew of this guy.  Did nothing.  The FBI knew of the guy in Texas.  Did nothing.  

Good luck.  
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    edited February 2018
    The source being.......? Speculation from teens? About someone who is "nuts"??

Go to any school in the country and talk to teens and you would hear about one or two or more that the others speculate would commit a mass shooting. How many of them do? Statistically, close to zero. The positive predictive value of that is negligible. Most teens are emotional and volatile. Very few shoot up a school. Not that I'm arguing against providing more resources to teens in crisis, but that's not going to reduce shootings even a little bit. 

And if your "source" is code word for mental illness, it's worth noting that few shooters have significant mental illness. Most are garden variety angry, jealous males. Remember that church shooting not so long ago? Remember the Las Vegas shooting? How are we going to address that source?
    Post edited by oftenreading on
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    rgambs said:
    It's pretty disgusting to watch Fox cover this and work so hard to avoid mention of the firearm at all.
    Talking about warning signs (for which they won't allow any action of course) and security failures, mental health and everything under the sun except for details about the firearm used, how it was acquired, or what they would do to prevent this obviously troubled teen from having access to a mass casualty weapon.

Please don't watch Trump TV
    dignin said:
    Jesus, 17 dead so far.

Thoughts and prayers.
    Do nothing to stop this.

What could work?

Tell everyone you know to never vote republican again.
    edited February 2018
    KC138045 said:
    KC138045 said:
    Another day another school  shooting
    This time Parkland, FL near Boca.
    Clearly multiple kids shot. No numbers yet.

alright, that's enough. metal detectors and security at every school in the US. funded by the NRA and the billionaires of the republican party. 
    No fucking way that would be considered invasion of someone’s rights!!!
    Tough fucking shit!  I have to walk through a metal detector every time I go to a Bluejackets game and I'm sure its the same at other arenas.  They need to have them at every school in the country.
    I agree but as long as the GOP & Orange bafoon are in bed with NRA nothing nada zilch will happen , get used to it and if you have kids or planning on having any school them at home ...
    I have two kids in school.  4th and 8th graders.  I've never been a believer in home school but if this shit continues I may seriously consider it.  I always felt like I lived in a safe community but after the two Police Officers were shot and killed here on Saturday it may not be a safe as things seem. 
    I don’t blame you my oldest is in 3rd yr @WVU every time we talk on phone I say the same thing , look before entering any class or establishment and get to know the Exits it’s fucking pathetic that we as parents have to think about shit like this !!!!!

Sorry to enhance your fears but looking for the exits doesn't work

This psycho gun owner pulled the fire alarm to draw the children to the exits so he can KILL MORE KIDS

Only thing that can work, tell everyone u know to never vote republican again
    Smellyman said:
    You know mental illness is certainly PART of the problem and part of the solution here.  But I'm tired of gun nuts that use it as a freakin excuse to do nothing about the other parts of the problem!

I feel like the liberals got worked on this issue.  They finally got people talking mental health so they went with it and now the Pro-anygunIwant crowd is using it an argument FOR their side of the discussion.  Sickens me.

Yay freedom!
    And psychiatrists are not permitted to ask their patients if they own a gun.
    Where is this the case?

I know that Florida had a law from 2011 that prevented doctors from asking about guns in the home. It was particularly targeted at pediatricians, who routinely ask about potential dangers to children. It was overturned in 2017. I'm not aware that psychiatrists are prohibited from asking about guns in any state, so if I'm wrong about that, please let me know. 
    unsung said:
    CM189191 said:
    unsung said:

All of you want to get rid of a device, no mention of why are so many kids pumped full of psychotropic drugs and other pharmaceuticals.  It is the fault of the device is your answer, and frankly it is cowardly.  All of you want to treat the symptoms and not the disease.  This is why I no longer debate this issue.  I despise the NRA, and if any of you knew the history you'd know why, but you blame them. The NRA is a joke, the NRA has actually written most of the gun control laws that we have now.  I have this same debate with Republicans when I tell them that Reagan signed the largest gun control in 40 years.  

The FBI knew of this guy.  Did nothing.  The FBI knew of the guy in Texas.  Did nothing.  

Good luck.  
    So, again, I'd ask what you would wish to have been done?  I can't think of an answer you would give that wouldn't directly contradict your own set of principles and values.
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    unsung said:
    CM189191 said:
    unsung said:

Good luck.  
    What would you suggest the FBI do? Take their guns away because they "might" hurt someone? Throw these guys in jail because they "might" hurt someone? 

For a libertarian anti police guy such as yourself you sure have some conflicting viewpoints. 
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    unsung said:
    CM189191 said:
    unsung said:

Good luck.  
    No. You are the one that won’t entertain restriction on the device. We just think that has to be PART of the solution. God I’m freakin tired of idiots pretending that just because 1 thing alone won’t solve the entire problem that you should forget about it and not do anything with it. It’s sooooo stupid. 
    hippiemom = goodness
    The guy that brings up Ruby Ridge all the time says that it's the FBI's problem, not the guns. 
    benjs said: I
    rgambs said:
    Deployed military troops only, police shouldn't have them either.

Unfortunately, our moronic and paranoid society can't put Pandora back in her jar.
    On the topic of putting her back in her jar, how does a country successfully collect all guns, including those of traceable and legally obtained firearms, and untraceable and illegally obtained firearms? To play devil’s advocate, I could see an argument being made that this would likely result in civilians surrendering their firearms and those with nefarious intent not, leaving only armed criminals.

Tell everyone you know to never vote republican again. Every day.

Dems need this to be their central message in Nov.

Once enough Dems get elected, pass an amendment banning 2a.

If not enough Dems get elected for an amendment, but do start to win majorities, start to pass tons of different gun regulations keeping the courts busy until enough Dems get elected.

In the meantime, in the 37 states that allow dwi checkpoints, set up gun safety checkpoints. Everywhere

It can be done
    dignin said:
    The guy that brings up Ruby Ridge all the time says that it's the FBI's problem, not the guns. 
    Yep, typical. 
    Anything, even extreme hypocrisy, to steer the conversation away from muh guns.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    Weird none of the gun advocates that post here haven’t this time ...could it be they are getting their fill of these massacres? When will the rest of the country get full of these events it seems we consume them every month , they happen we all get riled up Senate.& house all send their condolences and after about a week it’s over back to the golf courses ...yet we claim this nation to be the most advanced ..

I stay away from making many comments after a shooting because it is pointless to try and join this conversation for me. Many people throw out blame and say if you voted for Trump this is your fault, if you own a gun this is your fault and so on.
    This debate is hard enough when a shooting isn't fresh on everyone's mind, add that to the mix and it just doesn't go anywhere. I can offer ideas on what gun control I think would be effective and realistic and I'll get 10 replies blaming me for the shooting even though I offered a sincere comment. 
    I'll read through it, but decided it isn't worth discussing for me at this point. I imagine others probably feel the same.
    The FBI "knew of" some teen somewhere who made a comment online about being a "professional school shooter" and "did nothing". Oh my. I wonder how many other teenage or young adult males make similar comments online in a single day. Dozens? Hundreds? More? 

Given that there's absolutely no way to know which would actually go on to commit a shooting, I wonder if there's some way to limit the possibility of it, that doesn't include putting everyone who makes such a comment in jail or in hospital.  Thinking, thinking...... what could it be?
    rgambs said:
    dignin said:
    Yep, typical. 
    How do you even begin to have a conversation with people like that? That is the kinda mentality that most sane people are up against, to make real positive change.

Is the education system in the US that fucked that reason and critical thinking are going by the wayside? Or are they a very small minority?

The last presidential election doesn't point to a small minority I'm afraid.
    dignin said:
    rgambs said:
    dignin said:
    Yep, typical. 
    How do you even begin to have a conversation with people like that? That is the kinda mentality that most sane people are up against, to make real positive change.

Is the education system in the US that fucked that reason and critical thinking are going by the wayside? Or are they a very small minority?

The last presidential election doesn't point to a small minority I'm afraid.
    The silent majority is real.
    It's stupid and racist and paranoid and itsi scary.
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    rgambs said:
    unsung said:
    CM189191 said:
    unsung said:

Good luck.  
    So, again, I'd ask what you would wish to have been done?  I can't think of an answer you would give that wouldn't directly contradict your own set of principles and values.
    The guy flat out said he was going to be a school shooter.  People contacted the FBI.  What did they do?

People said they expected him to do this.  Was he ever questioned?  

But yeah, keep blaming the NRA and firearms, it is cowardly and a cop out.
    unsung said:
    rgambs said:
    unsung said:
    CM189191 said:
    unsung said:

Good luck.  
    The guy flat out said he was going to be a school shooter.  People contacted the FBI.  What did they do?

As usual, you didn't answer the question because the answer makes you uncomfortable.
    What would you wish to have been done?
    unsung said:
    rgambs said:
    unsung said:
    CM189191 said:
    unsung said:

Good luck.  

I'll ask again: how is it cowardly and a cop out to point the finger at the tool that does all the damage? like I said, mental illness has been around for eons. AR-15's have not. 

if a bunch of people said they expect you to do something without cause, and you were questioned and detained, you'd be screaming bloody murder. how can you be so anti-government/police power but be pro- after the fact when hindsight is 20/20? 

there are literally thousands of people who post disturbing behaviour online either on youtube or on social media. are you suggesting the FBI has the man power and the constitutional legality to detain and question all of them? and what will that accomplish exactly? once the person realizes they aren't being charged, they can walk out the fucking door and continue on their rampage planning. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    If there were no guns in the entire world, there would be no shootings.  Argue that and tell me I'm wrong.  You can't.  It's not a fucking cop out. You saying everything is a cop out is a fucking cop out.
  • RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Texas Posts: 1,009
    Smellyman said:

Yay freedom!
    And psychiatrists are not permitted to ask their patients if they own a gun.
    This is not true.  Do some research. 
This discussion has been closed.