I was angry about ticket prices....

13»

Comments

• Poncier said:
    Zod said:
    Poncier said:
    RC242143 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    All I have to say is u2 tickets are 331 plus fees for first 10 rows in the 200 sections. So...... 
    So... that is the EXACT reason that I didn't go and see them.
    I can say for U2, while the prices to the general public are astronomical, they took care of fan club members this year. They don't do a lottery, but did the verified fan thing with Ticketmaster. I have only had U2 fan club membership for three or four years. I was put in a what they called the "Experienced" draw and got GA floor for $102 including Ticketmaster fees.  When it went public those seats were the crazy pricing mentioned above, so it was kind of cool they threw the fan club members a bone. I have no issue with PJ charging what they charge, they routinely keep prices down for all, when they could easily charge more.  

The GA floor prices for U2 were not higher for the general public, they were the same as you paid. Difference was the floor tickets were impossible to get during the general sale, so either being a U2.com member or having access through the Citi card presale was you only realistic shot at scoring floor tix.
    U2 have always kept the GA seats reasonable and charged exorbitant amounts for the best reserved seats.
    Paul McGuiness said something about it back I think on the 360 tour saying they tried to take care of die hards by making the GA seats very reasonably priced and knew they had a group of fans who were able/willing to spend more for good seats and not interested in standing and this offsets the GA seats being below market value.
    Difference is this tour they are charging the highest price for some seats in the balcony just because they have a straight on view of that monster screen. Charging over $300 for good lowers is one thing, charging it for uppers is ridiculous.
    I got GA for one Boston show with the experience presale and got side stage lowers at $106 plus fees for the 2nd show with the verified fan sale, so I'm fine, would never pay 3 bills to see anyone.

I think one of the problems we get conflicting info is because of how TM lays out there website.   I find they turn on the reselling feature by default, so often people are seeing prices from resellers mixed in with face value tickets.  It's weird because that Podcast from Pearl Jam radio, the ticketmaster guy said it's off by default, but I often find it's on by default.

The TM dude was lying through his teeth. Every time I open an interactive TM map, the red target resale dots are there until I choose to click them off.
    I'm 99% sure the band/artist has the authority to tell Ticketmaster to turn off the resale button.  Its actually a good way to see what bands are in on the scalping.  Check out Phish or DMB or Paul Simon....no resale allowed on Ticketmaster.  Check out the Journey tour, Taylor Swift, Justin Timberlake, even U2.  These are all bands that are profiting off of the reselling of their own tickets.  I fully expect for PJ to have the resale option turned off here.
    Gorge
  • Poncier said:
    Zod said:
    Poncier said:
    RC242143 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    All I have to say is u2 tickets are 331 plus fees for first 10 rows in the 200 sections. So...... 
    So... that is the EXACT reason that I didn't go and see them.
    I can say for U2, while the prices to the general public are astronomical, they took care of fan club members this year. They don't do a lottery, but did the verified fan thing with Ticketmaster. I have only had U2 fan club membership for three or four years. I was put in a what they called the "Experienced" draw and got GA floor for $102 including Ticketmaster fees.  When it went public those seats were the crazy pricing mentioned above, so it was kind of cool they threw the fan club members a bone. I have no issue with PJ charging what they charge, they routinely keep prices down for all, when they could easily charge more.  

The GA floor prices for U2 were not higher for the general public, they were the same as you paid. Difference was the floor tickets were impossible to get during the general sale, so either being a U2.com member or having access through the Citi card presale was you only realistic shot at scoring floor tix.
    U2 have always kept the GA seats reasonable and charged exorbitant amounts for the best reserved seats.
    Paul McGuiness said something about it back I think on the 360 tour saying they tried to take care of die hards by making the GA seats very reasonably priced and knew they had a group of fans who were able/willing to spend more for good seats and not interested in standing and this offsets the GA seats being below market value.
    Difference is this tour they are charging the highest price for some seats in the balcony just because they have a straight on view of that monster screen. Charging over $300 for good lowers is one thing, charging it for uppers is ridiculous.
    I got GA for one Boston show with the experience presale and got side stage lowers at $106 plus fees for the 2nd show with the verified fan sale, so I'm fine, would never pay 3 bills to see anyone.

I think one of the problems we get conflicting info is because of how TM lays out there website.   I find they turn on the reselling feature by default, so often people are seeing prices from resellers mixed in with face value tickets.  It's weird because that Podcast from Pearl Jam radio, the ticketmaster guy said it's off by default, but I often find it's on by default.

The TM dude was lying through his teeth. Every time I open an interactive TM map, the red target resale dots are there until I choose to click them off.
    I'm 99% sure the band/artist has the authority to tell Ticketmaster to turn off the resale button.  Its actually a good way to see what bands are in on the scalping.  The bands that allow ticketmaster to re-sell get a piece of the profit unlike the tickets being resold on Stubhub.  Check out Phish or DMB or Paul Simon....no resale allowed on Ticketmaster.  Check out the Journey tour, Taylor Swift, Justin Timberlake, even U2.  These are all bands that are profiting off of the reselling of their own tickets.  I fully expect for PJ to have the resale option turned off here.

Gorge
  • What's the threshold for us complaining about prices? $125 a ticket, $150, $200? I mean really? At this point tickets are expensive, is what it is. Kids are dying in mass shootings on a weekly basis and we're bitching about ticket prices and the fairness of lotteries? Who really cares? I'm just happy the band is still healthy and playing the few shows they do. There are bigger things in life worth getting upset about.

06/22/95, 11/04/95, 11/15/97, 07/16/98, 10/30/99, 10/30/00, 10/31/00, 10/20/01, 10/21/01, 12/08/02, 06/01/03, 06/06/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 09/28/04, 03/18/05, 09/01/05, 07/15/06, 07/16/06, 07/18/06, 07/22/06, 07/23/06, 10/21/06, 10/22/06, 08/28/09, 09/21/09, 09/22/09, 05/20/10, 05/21/10, 10/24/10, 11/26/13, 12/06/13, 06/28/14, 10/26/14, 07/10/18, 08/10/18, 10/02/21, 
  • I won Boston, both nights and very pumped, but have a quick question, if I understand this correctly, with my member number being 664...I will probably be sitting far away from the stage, where someone with more seniority will be sitting up front, and we both paid the same for the tickets? 
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    I won Boston, both nights and very pumped, but have a quick question, if I understand this correctly, with my member number being 664...I will probably be sitting far away from the stage, where someone with more seniority will be sitting up front, and we both paid the same for the tickets? 
    correct but you do have a chance to win rows 1,2 9 or 10.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    I want to work less and make more
  • I've seen a dozen or more Springsteen shows over the last 10 years and they all cost around $100/ticket... until the last show I saw where it was $150.  I groused about it for awhile but still bought the ticket.  When I went to the show (Gillette, September, 2017) he played for 4 hrs and 2 minutes without taking an encore break.  And he played every bucket list song I had been chasing.   

$123 is nothing when paid 6-7 months ahead of time and a sunk cost already when you're walking into the ballpark to watch one of the greatest bands ever play for 3+ hours.  

Ticket prices don't stop fans; accommodations/transportation do - that's what really jacks up the cost of seeing any band.  
  • TH113769TH113769 Posts: 434

What's the threshold for us complaining about prices? $125 a ticket, $150, $200? I mean really? At this point tickets are expensive, is what it is. Kids are dying in mass shootings on a weekly basis and we're bitching about ticket prices and the fairness of lotteries? Who really cares? I'm just happy the band is still healthy and playing the few shows they do. There are bigger things in life worth getting upset about.

Well said - Bottom line is we are very lucky to be able to see a band like PJ bring it for 3+ hours with a different set every night. The ticket price is honestly cheap if you really think about it.
    92 - Phoenix; 93 - Mesa; 95 - Phoenix; 98 - Phoenix; 2000- Phoenix; 2003 - San Diego, Las Vegas, Phoenix; 2006 - Denver 1, Denver 2, Las Vegas, San Diego;  2009 - Chicago 1, Chicago 2, San Diego; 2013 - Phoenix, San Diego, LA 1, LA 2, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle; 2014 - Detroit, Moline, Milwaukee, Denver; 2016 - Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Wrigley 1 and 2; 2018 - Amsterdam 1&2, Pinkpop, London1, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Werchter, Barca, Missoula, Chicago 1&2, Boston 1&2.
  • CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,894
    I won Boston, both nights and very pumped, but have a quick question, if I understand this correctly, with my member number being 664...I will probably be sitting far away from the stage, where someone with more seniority will be sitting up front, and we both paid the same for the tickets? 
    Yes, but I assume you just joined the fanclub as recently as this year? The person sitting way up front has likely been in the fanclub for well over 20 years.  So they've kinda earned it.  

But like McGruff said, you could always win the lottery and get up front.  Good luck!
  • ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,624
    There are also members with lower #’s than you that lost on 1 of the shows 
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    ed243421 said:
    There are also members with lower #’s than you that lost on 1 of the shows 

that would be me.

E, how did you come out in the lottery?

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• mcgruff10 said:
    Ok, thanks
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,814
    mcgruff10 said:
    I like that practice.  It enables us newcomers* to at least have a shot at some good seats while still giving a nod to seniority.

*Actually, I joined in 2000 and while my 10C seats are good, they are not great.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin