2018 Winter Olympics

Comments

• Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Everyone watches the Winter Olympics for the curling.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Of course we do. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Shaun fucking White Golden again ! 
    Unless you’re his female bandmate. 

I’d like to put it down to sheer ignorance, but the guy is just a douchelord in so many other ways. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,445
    Jason P said:
    Damn shame that Gary Bettman killed Olympic men's hockey.  I could give zero fucks on who medals. 

fuck the NBA for ever putting pros in the olympics.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • camsjamcamsjam Posts: 375
    BLACK35 said:
    Congrats Canada on winning GOLD on the Mixed Curling event!!!! Go Canada Go!
    Wait...other countries compete in curling too.?  ;)
  • RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    That was awesome Shaun White!!
    Beautiful insanity!!

https://youtu.be/k6NTcNFjVjE
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,214
    ^
    #metoo
    ?
    chinese-happy.jpg
    ^
    #metoo
    ?
    Yup, not as bad as being in the White House, but as far as having an ounce of respect for women goes, anyone who celebrates Shaun White’s victory and lament’s Donald Trump’s needs to do some serious soul searching. Sorry for the “gossip.”
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    ^
    #metoo
    ?
    Yup, not as bad as being in the White House, but as far as having an ounce of respect for women goes, anyone who celebrates Shaun White’s victory and lament’s Donald Trump’s needs to do some serious soul searching. Sorry for the “gossip.”

that may be true, but I don’t lose sleep over shaun white.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,506
    edited February 2018
    dankind said:

I’d like to put it down to sheer ignorance, but the guy is just a douchelord in so many other ways. 
    The announcers on the CBC tisk-tisked his behaviour when he took off his helmet and threw it into the crowd after the 1st of 3 runs, lol. I agreed with them - it was arrogant and "I'm so fucking superstar" of him, given the circumstances. At least save it for when you actually win ffs. They also said it was stupid, because it could light the other competitors' fires more. Well, maybe... he won anyway of course. But they did have a good point IMO.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,275
    dankind said:

Yep I did look into what your saying I agree I was ignorant about his personal issues outside of snowboarding it seems he’s a real douche !! Fuck his medals if he’s an asshole it taints them ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,413
    edited February 2018
    Wobbie said:
    Jason P said:
    Damn shame that Gary Bettman killed Olympic men's hockey.  I could give zero fucks on who medals. 

It wasn't the NBA, from what i recall. It was the rest of the World that wanted the NBA players in the Olympics to broaden the game. Which it has. A lot of foreign players playing in the NBA say that seeing the Dream Team play in the Olympics was the reason they played basketball. 

Agree on the Hockey: A LOT of juice is taken away without the NHL players. I watch some of the games, but not most, or all, of the games like i use to. 

I'm just about to read my Local Sports paper and this sums up the Olympic Hockey in this Headline: "Olympic hockey with the excitement of the AHL" (The AHL is Minor League Hockey).
    Post edited by cutz on
  • KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    cutz said:
    Wobbie said:
    Jason P said:

It wasn't the NBA, from what i recall. It was the rest of the World that wanted the NBA players in the Olympics to broaden the game. Which it has. A lot of foreign players playing in the NBA say that seeing the Dream Team play in the Olympics was the reason they played basketball. 

Agree on the Hockey: A LOT of juice is taken away without the NHL players. I watch some of the games, but not most, or all, of the games like i use to. 

I'm just about to read my Local Sports paper and this sums up the Olympic Hockey in this Headline: "Olympic hockey with the excitement of the AHL" (The AHL is Minor League Hockey).
    I'm sure I'm in the minority but I'm happy that NHL players are not competing in the Olympics this year.  Olympics are for amateur athletes.  Plus I don't like the break it causes in the regular season.  I'd take watching two weeks of meaningful NHL games over Olympic hockey any day.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,506
    The problem is that in most sports the amateur athletes are the best at their sport. But when it comes to hockey, the best at that sport are also in the NHL. I don't find that the "amateur" argument works in this case because of that. The Olympics are for the BEST athletes from each country too. I always agreed with the fact that they made an exception to that amateur rule for hockey.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Wobbie said:
    dankind said:
    ^
    #metoo
    ?

that may be true, but I don’t lose sleep over shaun white.

Racist
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Why did my phone decide to put a green grocer  apostrophe in laments? When is that word ever possessive?

Smartphone, my ass!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • PJ_Soul said:
    The problem is that in most sports the amateur athletes are the best at their sport. But when it comes to hockey, the best at that sport are also in the NHL. I don't find that the "amateur" argument works in this case because of that. The Olympics are for the BEST athletes from each country too. I always agreed with the fact that they made an exception to that amateur rule for hockey.
    ?

If an athlete is an amateur then they are not the best in their sport.  A "pro"fessional is the best.

That goes for every sport.  Not everyone can be Bobby Jones.
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,413
    KC138045 said:
    cutz said:
    Wobbie said:
    Jason P said:

I'm sure I'm in the minority but I'm happy that NHL players are not competing in the Olympics this year.  Olympics are for amateur athletes.  Plus I don't like the break it causes in the regular season.  I'd take watching two weeks of meaningful NHL games over Olympic hockey any day.
    I think real Amateur athletes have not been in the Olympics for decades, now.

I also think that most NHL players really want to play in the Olympics as its the biggest, and best , Hockey that is played.  The NHL season is way too long, so a 2 week break, that only happens once every 4 years, is no big deal. Give me the best VS the best over any NHL regular season game in February. 
  • cutz said:
    KC138045 said:
    cutz said:
    Wobbie said:
    Jason P said:

I also think that most NHL players really want to play in the Olympics as its the biggest, and best , Hockey that is played.  The NHL season is way too long, so a 2 week break, that only happens once every 4 years, is no big deal. Give me the best VS the best over any NHL regular season game in February. 
    The owners of the teams HATE this.  If a player gets hurt then their team is screwed.

I believe it was Ovechkin that told the owner of the Caps to go pound sand and he was playing in the olympics?
    I've never heard of these athletes and they're receiving new headline coverage.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    PJ_Soul said:
    ?

If an athlete is an amateur then they are not the best in their sport.  A "pro"fessional is the best.

I wasn’t aware that there was a professional biathalon league. 
    Shes talking about Olympic sports. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Not a big curling fan?
    Give Peas A Chance…

cutz said:
    KC138045 said:
    cutz said:
    Wobbie said:
    Jason P said:

The owners of the teams HATE this.  If a player gets hurt then their team is screwed.

I believe it was Ovechkin that told the owner of the Caps to go pound sand and he was playing in the olympics?
    That's more of an excuse that the league falls back on.  If they were really all that concerned about injuries then they would not have an all-star game or the world cup of hockey.  It was short sited decision by the NHL. They were not going to receive direct compensation so they pulled.  The league also offered the players a chance to go if they extended the current CBA, the players said no...so it also was not that important for the players...they'll be in Beijing...here's where I have a problem with the players...why didn't they call out Betman and tell him "no Korea then no more hockey will be played by us outside of NA.  Just my take.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • PJ_Soul said:
    ?

I wasn’t aware that there was a professional biathalon league. 
    Shes talking about Olympic sports. 
    Non-league sports.  Got it.

There is a difference.

happy to see jacobellis not medal. that chick is a spoiled rich kid.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Wobbie said:
    Is that the girl that fell whilst in the lead twice?
    Wobbie said:
    Is that the girl that fell whilst in the lead twice?

years ago, she lost a gold medal “whilst” showboating.....yesterday, she just got passed by 3 other women. 

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Still waiting for hockey.
    All I see is skiing and jumping.
    Still waiting for hockey.
    All I see is skiing and jumping.
    Hockey has started ... I’m currently watching Canada vs Czech Republic.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Watching an Aussie guy figure skating to Shine On You Crazy Diamond and Money!