Off-i-call can’t beat 3 shitty QBs for the win thread

124»

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,589
    Ha!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Less than the Cowboys?  Only since you moved to Philly, though...right?
    I thought every person whose team played the Cowboys with any historical relevance automatically hated them the most.  Just.....so much to hate!
    Until now the Eagles had nothin'.  Now?  Now they are on solid ground because they know what it means to win a Super Bowl.
    (I dont buy the NFL Championship bs...none of us remember those.)

Sorry -- again my exception has to be the OP.  He was 15 when the Eagles last won.
    Definitely less than the Cowboys. I'm not concerned with them.  The Giants have won multiple super bowls since they've last been relevant.  But yeah, mostly since I moved to Philly and have to endure that stupid chant everywhere I go, along with the general neanderthals that are eagles fans.  It's only gonna get worse too.

I do find this Eagles team more likable than most (Long, Jenkins, etc.). Screw Wentz and the bible he rode in on though.  And I am/was happy for people, but that will last about 4.2 more seconds.

I'd say my least favorite teams in sports are the Eagles, Red Sox, Patriots,Ohio State, probably in that order. (Edit: Ohio State above the Pats for sure)
    Least Favorite Teams in Sports:
    1. fUCLA
    2. Notre Dame
    3. Cowboys
    4. Ducks
    5. Seachickens
    6. Red Sox
    7. Cardinals
    8. Sharks
    9. Cubs
    10. Canucks

Cubs? Wtf did the cubs ever do to you?
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,589
    I'm a Reds fan.  Cards and Cubs make it for that.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,383
    Poncier said:
    Right, and no skill was involved in Brandon Browner & Malcolm Butler recognizing Seattle's formation from film study and intercepting Wilson's pass. And no skill in Hightower strip sacking Matt Ryan, or Brady and Company executing 4 late scoring drives including two straight 2 point conversions to come back from down 28-3 late in the 3rd quarter. That was all luck, right?

I’ll beat the dead horse a bit more....

don’t know about the “film study” but not running marshawn has been universally recognized as a stupid call.

the strip sack was also the result of terrible play calling i.e. not running the ball and taking a FG for an 11 point lead.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,173
    I won't argue not Running Lynch seems a stupid call, however there's no guarantee he scores ( he was terrible that year in short yardage goal line situations for some inexplicable reason), and the clock was running which some think led to the decision to throw on 2nd down which would have resulted in a clock stoppage if incomplete leaving the Seahags enough time to run on 3rd (they had 1 time out left) and still have a 4th down shot if need be. 

The strip sack was on the possession prior to Atlanta getting into FG range and then becoming stupid, that drive ended with a regular sack followed by a holding call, and eventually a punt.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Poncier said:
    I won't argue not Running Lynch seems a stupid call, however there's no guarantee he scores ( he was terrible that year in short yardage goal line situations for some inexplicable reason), and the clock was running which some think led to the decision to throw on 2nd down which would have resulted in a clock stoppage if incomplete leaving the Seahags enough time to run on 3rd (they had 1 time out left) and still have a 4th down shot if need be. 

The strip sack was on the possession prior to Atlanta getting into FG range and then becoming stupid, that drive ended with a regular sack followed by a holding call, and eventually a punt.

Time wasn't an issue for the Hawks.

And if you recall... the Falcons were gashing the Pats with the run at that time.

You cannot be arguing that those were brain dead decisions... are you?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,173
    Poncier said:

Time wasn't an issue for the Hawks.

And if you recall... the Falcons were gashing the Pats with the run at that time.

You cannot be arguing that those were brain dead decisions... are you?

I didn't say that, but to say the reason the Pats won those 2 games is only because of coaching decisions is speculative at best.

And time would have become an issue for the Seahawks if they ran on 2nd down and didn't score, ball was snapped at 26 second and they had 1 timeout. Would have been forced to use it there and basically been forced to throw on 3rd down to ensure a snap on 4th down, so the running clock was a bit of a factor.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • The Pats won those games fair and square. They did enough each game to win and were deserving champs each time.

Bringing up those two cases is to more or less point at the stupidity of their opponents in key moments. Each of those teams could have fared better if they hadn't went full moron.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    You never go full moron
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    You're a moron if something doesn't work and gutsy if it does. If Wilson completes that pass then the same people crushing Carroll would be praising him for thinking outside the box. If Atlanta finishes off the Patriots those same people would be talking about how Dan Quinn stayed aggressive and coached to win. Neither happened so people say both were wrong.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • You never go full moron

lol

You caught the reference!
  • JimmyV said:
    You're a moron if something doesn't work and gutsy if it does. If Wilson completes that pass then the same people crushing Carroll would be praising him for thinking outside the box. If Atlanta finishes off the Patriots those same people would be talking about how Dan Quinn stayed aggressive and coached to win. Neither happened so people say both were wrong.

But those moments were situational that literally screamed for sensibility. I get what you are saying, but in my opinion... these gaffes are not noted strictly with the benefit of hindsight. They were significant blunders that had most slapping their foreheads in the moment and as they unfolded before knowing the result of the play.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    JimmyV said:
    Exactly.  I get so sick and tired of hearing about that god damn Seahawks play.  They ran that play several times during the regular season and it had an 80-something % success rate.  Carroll went with a call that worked way more often than not, it just so happened that it didn't work at that one crucial time in the Super Bowl.  I will never be of the opinion that it was "the dumbest play call in the history of sports" like everyone seems to think. It was an excellent call, it was just defended perfectly.
    JimmyV said:

IF your aunt harriet had balls, she’d be your uncle harry.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    JimmyV said:

But those moments were situational that literally screamed for sensibility. I get what you are saying, but in my opinion... these gaffes are not noted strictly with the benefit of hindsight. They were significant blunders that had most slapping their foreheads in the moment and as they unfolded before knowing the result of the play.
    Situational or not, I don't believe there is a single person not named Marshawn Lynch who would have criticized Pete Carroll for that call had the pass been completed. Not one.

It's the same with Atlanta. Quinn knew that his defense was spent. We know this because there is literally video of him saying they are "gassed" on the sideline. So he stayed aggressive and tried to win the game by putting the score out of reach. It didn't work but there is a clear logic in the thinking.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
    JimmyV said:
    JimmyV said:

It's the same with Atlanta. Quinn knew that his defense was spent. We know this because there is literally video of him saying they are "gassed" on the sideline. So he stayed aggressive and tried to win the game by putting the score out of reach. It didn't work but there is a clear logic in the thinking.
      a FG would have put the score out of reach and they were in range, until they weren't.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • JimmyV said:
    JimmyV said:

Situational or not, I don't believe there is a single person not named Marshawn Lynch who would have criticized Pete Carroll for that call had the pass been completed. Not one.

There is some truth to what you have said here (and in your previous post).