191011121315»

Comments

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,108
    kaw753 said:
    Poncier said:
    kaw753 said:
    PJNB said:

The problem a lot are having is the huge jump from just two years ago for the exact same shows. 
    Maybe they added lots of lasers?

That is known in the industry as "The Muse Starter Pack".
    Don’t shit on muse. Great live act. Wish they’d play more in the states....

with th the odds for Wrigley dropping, I’m kinda glad for higher prices, maybe people deciding on less shows ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    kaw753kaw753 Posts: 756
    kaw753 said:
    Poncier said:
    kaw753 said:
    PJNB said:

The problem a lot are having is the huge jump from just two years ago for the exact same shows. 
    Maybe they added lots of lasers?

That is known in the industry as "The Muse Starter Pack".
    Don’t shit on muse. Great live act. Wish they’d play more in the states....

with th the odds for Wrigley dropping, I’m kinda glad for higher prices, maybe people deciding on less shows ;)
    I am definitely not shitting on Muse. The Drones tour was one of the most amazing things I have ever seen. They had to postpone the show here in Vegas because they could not complete the stage setup in time because it was so massive.
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    I always laugh and shake my head when I see these threads.
    We knew we were underpaying to see PJ in major arenas and stadiums for years. We got a kick out of it. Now that we are paying a little closer to average our consumeristic middle aged asses get super whiney. 
    If it's too expensive then don't go. Otherwise pay up and enjoy the show. I have been front row to the last row in the building and behind the band. They have never disappointed. 
    The only thing that disappointing was the douche evenbros in my section at Wrigley 1 in 2016. That wasn't the band's fault. 
    I have paid and will do so again to just get in the building. Dont care where I sit.
    I swear it seems like for some people it's like they are more interested in the bragging rights than the experience of seeing the band. And that is sad to me.
    Feel the same. Thanks for saying it. I’ve been trying to stay away from the forums lately as to not let all the negative crap get to me. This the “fan club” right? All I’ve been hearing is opinions and conspiracies on how after all these years PJ has finally decided to screw their fans. Do us all a favour, for all the complainers, please stay home. We’ll all be happier. 
    +100
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited February 2018
    My Hampton 2016 10c tix were $159
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,919
    deadendp said:
    I always laugh and shake my head when I see these threads.
    We knew we were underpaying to see PJ in major arenas and stadiums for years. We got a kick out of it. Now that we are paying a little closer to average our consumeristic middle aged asses get super whiney. 
    If it's too expensive then don't go. Otherwise pay up and enjoy the show. I have been front row to the last row in the building and behind the band. They have never disappointed. 
    The only thing that disappointing was the douche evenbros in my section at Wrigley 1 in 2016. That wasn't the band's fault. 
    I have paid and will do so again to just get in the building. Dont care where I sit.
    I swear it seems like for some people it's like they are more interested in the bragging rights than the experience of seeing the band. And that is sad to me.
    Feel the same. Thanks for saying it. I’ve been trying to stay away from the forums lately as to not let all the negative crap get to me. This the “fan club” right? All I’ve been hearing is opinions and conspiracies on how after all these years PJ has finally decided to screw their fans. Do us all a favour, for all the complainers, please stay home. We’ll all be happier. 
    +100
    Tickets for Fenway two years ago were $188 per pair. Today they are $247 per pair. I agree that much of the rhetoric regarding the price increase is ridiculous, particularly the comparisons to 1994 and claims that the band is screwing its fans. Still, discussing why prices have increased so much in so short a period of time is a valid topic for discussion.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    interesting topic.  my two cents is that it is always important to consider the time value of money (e.g. compounding, inflation, and real dollars) when talking about this kind of issue.  mainly because the face value percentage increases over time (particular longer time frames) appear egregious when you see that Wrigley is up some 46% since the 1st show in 2013.

so, what percentage should it be up and what do you consider acceptable rates of inflation for concert costs?  this is a complicated question and I would suggest the ways in which bands have to make money now have changed dramatically based on technology, etc.

i pulled some of the ticket costs I paid from the club over time and they are shown below.  i compared Toledo 1996 (Ticketmaster alt venue tour) and Wrigley 2013 vs. the current costs for Wrigley 2018.  nominally, they are up considerably per year vs. the current prices.  however, in real (inflation adjusted) dollars they are up around 8% per year.  i find it interesting that the real increases over time are roughly the same and may suggest their is a fairly consistent percentage of cost inflation being applied by the tenclub from tour to tour. 

in this case we are back to whether say an 8% increase in ticket costs year over year is fair, reasonable, standard, and/or necessary for the industry, the fans, and PJ.  the last column is what you would expect a ticket to cost based on 3% inflation which is closer to the average CPI over the last decade or so.  however, this magnitude may have no relation to the actual costs incurred by the band considering the revenue models they are now employing: their price increases are suggesting its closer to the 8%.

this is all a crap shoot because no one really knows the true profit, salaries, revenue streams, cost structures, etc. behind the scenes from year-to-year.  i would suggest that given how much these dynamics have changed due to technology and the cyclical nature of album release and touring, it appears the tenclub is at least partially insulating the fan base from these swings and increases may even be capped by policy (regardless of costs incurred year-to-year by the band and club).  

Show  Tenclub Paid Price  Nominal Yearly Increase (vs Wrigley 2018) Real Yearly Increase (vs Wrigley 2018) "Should be" cost today (3% yearly inflation)
    Toledo 1996  $         22.00 20.8% 7.82% $42.55
    Detroit 2003  $         55.58
    Grand Rapids 2006  $         58.45
    LA 2009  $         81.50
    St. Louis 2010  $         75.00
    Alpine Valley 2011  $         83.50
    Winnipeg 2011  $         78.63
    Wrigley 2013  $         84.00 9.2% 7.57% $97.58
    Wrigley 2016  $         94.00
    Wrigley 2018  $       122.50
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    Obviously any increase stings a bit for the wallet, but for me, this is exactly what I save for. The return--the shows, the experience, the travel, the friends, the pure happiness that I feel--is second to none. I am curious to see what next arena show tour will go for, though--hopefully not as much of an increase.
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    IgotshitIDIgotshitID St.john's Newfoundland Posts: 894
    CopperTom said:
    Well done haha
    St.John's 9/24/2005
    St.John's 9/25/2005
    Toronto 9/11/2011
    Toronto 9/12/2011
    Quebec City 5/5/2016
    Ottawa 5/8/2016
  • Options
    RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904

NewJPage said:
    kaw753 said:
    If you add the cost of the beer during your piss break, even flow costs you about $12.
    I would pay $12 more per ticket if they guaranteed they would play Evenflow before the first encore break every show so that people could take care of some things.
    Same.  I’d appreciate a program that told us when even flow, small town, sirens and alive we’re coming up.  I’m pretty busy and I have shit I have to get done.
    Somehow I'm still cool with evenflow. Agree on the others. And add betterman
    NewJPage said:
    kaw753 said:
    If you add the cost of the beer during your piss break, even flow costs you about $12.
    I would pay $12 more per ticket if they guaranteed they would play Evenflow before the first encore break every show so that people could take care of some things.
    Same.  I’d appreciate a program that told us when even flow, small town, sirens and alive we’re coming up.  I’m pretty busy and I have shit I have to get done.
    NewJPage said:
    kaw753 said:
    NewJPage said:
    kaw753 said:

Alive put Pearl Jam on the map and has one of the great guitar solos in rock history. Love the people who think being a "real fan" means you have to love the obscure songs. 
    Face it.... Bugs is hard on the ears and to be honest I could do without tremor christ.
    I like sirens because it is full circle from Black. In that perspective to me it is incredibly cool. It also is an obviously Gilmore influenced solo. 
    I don't get the people who don't like 
    Evenflow and Alive. (Time to take a wiz songs hey??)  Those are a few of PJ's signature songs.  Some people have never seen this band live before.  I still like Jeremy every time.  I've never seen Pink Floyd in person, but if I did, I'd want to hear The Wall at some point.
    Do you think Willie Nelson ever gets tired of singing Whiskey River?  No it's a good song he sings it damn near every show, & he knows about 2,000 songs.  You always get the classics from Willie, & what ever else he feels like playing on any given night.  Willie Nelson doesn't even have a set list.  His band has to know every song that he might play. He strums a few chords and the band just falls in line, Willie doesn't know what he is going to play until he's playing it.  And when they (the band) don't know the song, they improvise & figure it out real fast.  Pretty amazing if you ask me.
    There are people at every PJ show that have never seen this band.  So if you've just discovered PJ, or were 4 the first time you heard Evenflow & now get to hear it for the first time in person, it's a pretty big deal. 
    In addition to the Rarities, new songs & improvs, I always love the classics.

• Options
    Mr BenjaminMr Benjamin Adelaide, Australia Posts: 88
    Asking for a friend, what if you win all your selections but your credit card didn't expect you to?

Does 10C try and draw the funds again or is that it...
    George, Washington (September 01, 2005)
    Toronto, Ontario (September 19, 2005)
    Quebec City, Quebec (September 20, 2005)
    Halifax, Nova Scotia (September 22, 2005)
    St. Johns, Newfoundland (September 24, 2005)
    St. Johns, Newfoundland (September 25, 2005)
    Washington, D.C. (May 30, 2006)
    E. Rutherford, New Jersey (June 01, 2006)
    E. Rutherford, New Jersey (June 03, 2006)
    George, Washington (July 22, 2006)
    George, Washington (July 23, 2006)
    Dublin, Ireland (August 23, 2006)
    Reading, England (August 27, 2006)
    Sydney, Australia (November 07, 2006)
    Sydney, Australia (November 08, 2006)
    Melbourne, Australia (November 13, 2006)
    Melbourne, Australia (November 14, 2006)
    Melbourne, Australia (November 16, 2006)
    Sydney, Australia (November 18, 2006)
    Newcastle, Australia (November 19, 2006)
    Adelaide, Australia (November 21, 2006)
    Adelaide, Australia (November 22, 2006)
    Perth, Australia (November 25, 2006)
    London, UK (August 18, 2009)
    Perth, Australia (November 14, 2009) 
    Adelaide, Australia (November 17, 2009)
    Melbourne, Australia (November 20, 2009)
    Sydney, Australia (November 22, 2009)
    Brisbane, Australia (November 25, 2009)
    Auckland, New Zealand (November 27, 2009)
    Christchurch, New Zealand (November 29, 2009)
    Los Angeles, CA (November 23, 2013)
    Los Angeles, CA (November 24, 2013)
    Adelaide, AU (January 31, 2014)
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Asking for a friend, what if you win all your selections but your credit card didn't expect you to?

I would make sure to have a credit card on file that has enough credit to handle the transaction. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    edited February 2018

You will be over drawn in your credit card, or checking account.  If you're cards don't allow you to over draw,  you'll pay for tickets as long as you have funds.
    If there are insufficient funds at the time of the drawing, that's it.  Those tickets get bounced on to the next guy.  Right??
    Post edited by RYME on
  • Options
    Mr BenjaminMr Benjamin Adelaide, Australia Posts: 88
    RYME said:

You will be over drawn in your credit card, or checking account.  If you're cards don't allow you to over draw,  you'll pay for tickets as long as you have funds.
    If there are insufficient funds at the time of the drawing, that's it.  Those tickets get bounced on to the next guy.  Right??
    Sheeeeeeeeeit. Fingers crossed!

Thanks
    George, Washington (September 01, 2005)
    Toronto, Ontario (September 19, 2005)
    Quebec City, Quebec (September 20, 2005)
    Halifax, Nova Scotia (September 22, 2005)
    St. Johns, Newfoundland (September 24, 2005)
    St. Johns, Newfoundland (September 25, 2005)
    Washington, D.C. (May 30, 2006)
    E. Rutherford, New Jersey (June 01, 2006)
    E. Rutherford, New Jersey (June 03, 2006)
    George, Washington (July 22, 2006)
    George, Washington (July 23, 2006)
    Dublin, Ireland (August 23, 2006)
    Reading, England (August 27, 2006)
    Sydney, Australia (November 07, 2006)
    Sydney, Australia (November 08, 2006)
    Melbourne, Australia (November 13, 2006)
    Melbourne, Australia (November 14, 2006)
    Melbourne, Australia (November 16, 2006)
    Sydney, Australia (November 18, 2006)
    Newcastle, Australia (November 19, 2006)
    Adelaide, Australia (November 21, 2006)
    Adelaide, Australia (November 22, 2006)
    Perth, Australia (November 25, 2006)
    London, UK (August 18, 2009)
    Perth, Australia (November 14, 2009) 
    Adelaide, Australia (November 17, 2009)
    Melbourne, Australia (November 20, 2009)
    Sydney, Australia (November 22, 2009)
    Brisbane, Australia (November 25, 2009)
    Auckland, New Zealand (November 27, 2009)
    Christchurch, New Zealand (November 29, 2009)
    Los Angeles, CA (November 23, 2013)
    Los Angeles, CA (November 24, 2013)
    Adelaide, AU (January 31, 2014)
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    RYME said:

Thanks

It's not too late to cancel your lottery entry and just put in for the tickets you can afford...
    You have until 10am PT tomorrow to do so!!!
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    sp1984sp1984 New Hampshire Posts: 140
    Put in for a pair for each of the Fenway shows this morning, but no 1$ charge on my CC and no confirmation. Now what?  :s
    Tampa 04/16
    Fenway 1 08/16
    Fenway 2 08/16
    Fenway 1 09/18
    Fenway 2 09/18
    PJ songs at our wedding: Love Reign O'er Me (1st dance); Sirens (last dance); Long Road (Momma-Son dance). 
  • Options
    SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 1,998
    As long as you see your entry on the tickets page, I wouldn't worry about it. I never got charged the $1 either, but my wife's account did. Both show as entered. I've seen a bunch of other peopel say the same.
  • Options
    MickeyMouseMickeyMouse Posts: 1,053
    derbydave said:
    RYME said:

Thanks

It's not too late to cancel your lottery entry and just put in for the tickets you can afford...
    You have until 10am PT tomorrow to do so!!!
    Yea I mean this is pretty simple.  You either have the funds to pay for everything you asked for, or you don’t.  Don’t bite off more than you can chew or you might not get anything at all.  I’d put in for what I can afford at the moment and then worry about the other shows later if necessary.
    Uniondale, NY 04/30/03 - Camden, NJ 07/05/03 - MSG 07/08/03 - Reading, PA 10/01/04 - Philly 10/03/05 - Ed Sullivan Theatre 05/04/06 - MSG 06/25/08 - MSG 05/21/10 - NYC (EV solo) 06/21/11 - Montreal 09/07/11 - Brooklyn 10/18/13 - Central Park 09/26/15 - Philly 04/29/16 - MSG 05/01/16 - MSG 05/02/16 - Fenway 08/05/16 - Fenway 09/02/18 - Fenway 09/04/18 
  • Options
    UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    Just was in my account and noticed the $98 increase for the pair compared to my last purchase...ouch.  Missoula show, so the increase can't really even be attributed to it being a "major" stadium show.
  • Options
    RatsTJRatsRatsTJRats Boston Posts: 431
    wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....every year we cant get by the complaints, its either price, the lottery process, seniority not meaning enough, not getting tickets when all you did was shot for the moon with GA...just be happy that the band is still playing shows and putting out new music, they could of retired years ago and disappeared with their family, yet they continue to give back to their fans!
    This could be the day
  • Options
    estarr31estarr31 Posts: 569
    wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....every year we cant get by the complaints, its either price, the lottery process, seniority not meaning enough, not getting tickets when all you did was shot for the moon with GA...just be happy that the band is still playing shows and putting out new music, they could of retired years ago and disappeared with their family, yet they continue to give back to their fans!
    Not to mention the quality of their live shows is still at the top. Comparing PJ to other acts their age, they are without peers IMO. We are lucky to be able to have a forum like this complaining about upcoming concerts by the band we're on their website complaining about.
    Mansfield 6/30/08 -  Wrigley Field 7/14/13 -  Worcester I 10/15/13 -  Global Citizen 9/26/15 -  MSG II 5/2/16 -  Fenway I 8/5/16 -  Fenway II 8/7/16 -  Fenway II 9/4/18 - LA I 5/6/22 - LA II 5/7/22 - MSG 9/11/22 - Nashville 9/16/22 - St. Paul I and II 8/31/23-9/2/23
  • Options
    Thanks PeteThanks Pete NYC Posts: 613
    estarr31 said:
    Not to mention the quality of their live shows is still at the top. Comparing PJ to other acts their age, they are without peers IMO. We are lucky to be able to have a forum like this complaining about upcoming concerts by the band we're on their website complaining about.
    I have NEVER felt that I paid too much for a Pearl Jam show, just the opposite!!! Can't say the same for other well known bands
  • Options
    SR91748SR91748 Posts: 138
    It's a deal in today's world. That said, I did practice a bit of restraint, and went with two rather than three shows. A lot of that though was me, and the time off equation. Not the price so much. Younger me might've went a little crazier.
  • Options
    MD190661MD190661 Posts: 341
    I am fine paying $125 to get a pit ticket at a stadium, which I did. I am not fine paying that to sit in the upper deck. That's just a rip off. I'd never pay more than $50 to sit in the upper deck of a stadium or arena. Just too much money and so much good music to see for far less. I love PJ and and fine with them making a buck, but no way they "need" to make 4-6 million a night.
    10/1/94, 6/22/95, 6/24/95, 9/16/96, 7/22/98, 10/21/01, 6/1/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 9/1/05, 7/15/06, 7/18/06, 8/28/09, 10/07/09, 10/3/12, 11/26/13, 6/18/18, 8/10/18, 5/12/22, 5/13/22

This discussion has been closed.