Wildfire Watch/ Drought Watch

1235»

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    See, now THIS I know is satire =)

You know what pisses me off? We've mostly met the conservation requirements, with some areas having beautifully exceeded it. Yet the fucking corrupt and inept DWP wants to raise the rates of those who saved the most.
    hedonist said:

See, now THIS I know is satire =)

You know what pisses me off? We've mostly met the conservation requirements, with some areas having beautifully exceeded it. Yet the fucking corrupt and inept DWP wants to raise the rates of those who saved the most.

And that is obviously not satire! Bummer. We are on a well so no rate changes but we conserve anyway, plus we do incur costs like the well pump we had to have changed out this year and could face some very high costs if the well runs dry which I'm told has happened in this neighborhood before. In any case, hoping for good rain this year!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited October 2015
    Is anyone in California talking about what they are going to do when they actually run out of water? Is anyone facing that inevitability yet? I.e. saving for the move knowing they won't able to sell their property to fund it? Or is everyone depending on desalinization plants and/or expecting to pipe it in from other states to the north?
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:

Is anyone in California talking about what they are going to do when they actually run out of water? Is anyone facing that inevitability yet? I.e. saving for the move knowing they won't able to sell their property to fund it? Or is everyone depending on desalinization plants and/or expecting to pipe it in from other states to the north?

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    brianlux said:

PJ_Soul said:

Bring on the stillsuits.

Too bad you don't at least get the spice, in compensation.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    brianlux said:

PJ_Soul said:

Sigh. I love Patrick Stewart. :heart:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Stewart and codpieces and Kyle, oh my!

You good people crack me up, :lol:

Lately, I've run into a few people in our area who moved here from back east "for the nice weather".  I don't want to spoil anyone's perception of how grand it is to live in California- at least not since they've already gone to the trouble to make the move.  But I'll tell anyone ahead of time who is thinking about moving here to be aware of how serious the water situation is out here.  We had eight years of drought and then one crazy winter last year with flooding and WAY above average rain and snow but one year out of 10 (including this year) is not nearly enough.  We are now facing a drought year that could (unless something changes drastically and soon) break records.  And the trees continue to die as a result.  Tree death is rampant in California.  There are dead pines and cedars all up and down every street and road in El Dorado County.  We've lost three on our lot and have a couple more that are not looking good at all.  Same with our closest neighbor.  And I'm sure the same is true and many other parts of the state as well.  And we had a massive fire near Santa Barbara- the Thomas fire, 282,00 acres!-  just a month ago- in the middle of winter!

Anyone still thinking about moving to California?  My advice: fuggedaboutit!

Please, somebody do a rain dance, summon the gods, pray for rain, anything!

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    It seems rain follows me wherever I go, Brian. Maybe I should take a little trip to see my friends in California?
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    3-4 inches of rain today in new jersey.  my sump pump is literally going off every four minutes.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    edited February 2018
    It seems rain follows me wherever I go, Brian. Maybe I should take a little trip to see my friends in California?
    Yes, please!

*edit - and not just for the rain advantage =)
    Great idea!  :smiley:

mcgruff10 said:
    3-4 inches of rain today in new jersey.  my sump pump is literally going off every four minutes.  
    Cold, snow, rain in the east, dry and relatively warm in the west.  Could this be a metaphor for the great imbalance that is the U.S. these days? :pensive:

edited August 2019
    Fires season is upon us again.  Two in-a-row in our area- yesterday a small 16 acre fire (not close) and today, a 30+ acre fire a couple miles from  our house.  100 (up to 105 in some locations) degree Fahrenheit weather, dry conditions and at least two more months of this shit.  Big sigh...

• lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,694
    New to this thread.  Fuck fire is scary. We get floods here rarely .
    Fire is so unpredictable  i feel for you with that hanging over you. 

brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    New to this thread.  Fuck fire is scary. We get floods here rarely .
    Fire is so unpredictable  i feel for you with that hanging over you. 

It's the same thing every year lately, and is especially scary after nearly the whole town of Paradise and Magalia and an hour north of here burned to the ground.  Our local fire is 40% contained.  Good, but not good enough yet.  I have to go out for an hour or so but after that we'll stick close to home and be ready to bail with the cat If need be (probably not unless winds pick up).

Not good news here in sunny California:

Dry February sends California back to drought: 'This hasn't happened in 150 years'

"San Francisco and Sacramento have not seen a drop of rain this February, and climate scientists are expecting that disturbing dry trend to hold, in what is typically one of the wettest months of the year for California..

“This hasn’t happened in 150 years or more,” said Daniel Swain, a climate scientist at UCLA’s Institute of the Environment and Sustainability. “There have even been a couple wildfires – which is definitely not something you typically hear about in the middle of winter.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/feb/21/california-drought-february-rain-snow-pack-sierra

• We have floods here
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    We have floods here

Floods there, severe drought here.  Crazy world!

There will likely be no rain in February this year.  First time that's happened since 1864.

"An increasing number of “extreme” weather events are being seen worldwide as our climate warms. Maybe one of the scenarios above could be one of them."

• Global warming is real
     I cant understand  these  people who say otherwise. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

Global warming is real
     I cant understand  these  people who say otherwise. 

In a word: denial.  And what a poor choice of response.  I no longer spend time trying to convince people it is real.  I don't see how that could do any good at this point.  Better if we spend our energy doing our little bit to help ease the situation.  

• Yes  indeed
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• rhanishanerhanishane NSW Australia Posts: 505
    Happy note from from NSW Australia. December Vs March comparison

Happy note from from NSW Australia. December Vs March comparison

Nice!

The fresh green is such a powerful colour
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• rhanishanerhanishane NSW Australia Posts: 505
    The fresh green is such a powerful colour
    It's beautiful! There is such a thing as drought depression even if it's not your livelihood it's affecting it affects your entire being seeing everything dead. It's so uplifting seeing everything come back to life around you and the air is fresh again.
    Nature has its own religion.  Gospel of the land!
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07