I don't believe in God

Comments

• dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Wasn't the word used in a derogatory way in the initial comment or am I missing something?
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    dignin said:
    Wasn't the word used in a derogatory way in the initial comment or am I missing something?

I read it in the same way. I don't think "homo party" was a neutral comment.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    Other thoughts - first, when something has traditionally been used as an insult, better to avoid using it.

Second, "call it like I see it" seems to frequently be code for "I'll be as insulting as I like and anyone who objects is just overly 'politically correct'".
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    I wonder why sexual abuse is so common in the Catholic church?
    Are priests drawn to the church because of their sexual attraction to children or does being forced to be celibate warp them?

When you have the stories from 12 guys who followed one dudes motives, well that could have been a homo party right there. The catholic church is no different from other religions that have you marrying your first cousin when she probably has bled for the first time in her life if you're lucky. You could dump on all races and religions for this.

Anyway...............Did Adam and Eve have belly buttons? That is a more pressing question about religion.

"homo"?  What, wait, did you really say "homo"?  :angry:
    what's the difference between saying "homo" or "hetero"? if you call someone a homo in a derogatory way, sure, but just saying it in this context I don't find offensive. 
    Maybe it's just my age but I've always thought of "homo" as derogatory and homophobic.  Sorry if I'm wrong.   Damn English language!
    I agree that unless you're saying it in a derogatory context, there is nothing wrong with it. Context is everything! I mean, the "Q" in LGBTQ stands for queer (and/or questioning), so yeah, the gay community understands context pretty well. ;)
    So it's OK for me to use the "n" word in the right context?  I don't mean to be argumentative.  I've just hear too many derogatory "homo" comments in my life! And contrary to some folks assumption, I'm not even gay.
    Brian, there is a context for use of the "n word", but let's just say that you are not in that context ;)
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    edited February 2018
    Isn't it like calling a veterinarian a "vet"? 
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Are priests drawn to the church because of their sexual attraction to children or does being forced to be celibate warp them?

When you have the stories from 12 guys who followed one dudes motives, well that could have been a homo party right there. The catholic church is no different from other religions that have you marrying your first cousin when she probably has bled for the first time in her life if you're lucky. You could dump on all races and religions for this.

Anyway...............Did Adam and Eve have belly buttons? That is a more pressing question about religion.

what's the difference between saying "homo" or "hetero"? if you call someone a homo in a derogatory way, sure, but just saying it in this context I don't find offensive. 
    Maybe it's just my age but I've always thought of "homo" as derogatory and homophobic.  Sorry if I'm wrong.   Damn English language!
    I agree that unless you're saying it in a derogatory context, there is nothing wrong with it. Context is everything! I mean, the "Q" in LGBTQ stands for queer (and/or questioning), so yeah, the gay community understands context pretty well. ;)
    So it's OK for me to use the "n" word in the right context?  I don't mean to be argumentative.  I've just hear too many derogatory "homo" comments in my life! And contrary to some folks assumption, I'm not even gay.
    Brian, there is a context for use of the "n word", but let's just say that you are not in that context ;)
    Lol, exactly.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

LOL, yes, true!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

So in other words... "Let's not talk about it."

Are you trying to deflect? Or are you trying to minimize? Either is a time tested tactic organized religion uses frequently to cover up their messy situations.

The whole point to offering the piece on the Massachusetts' localized experience (I stress localized because the problem is far more profound than one area of the planet) was to illustrate how religion is exploitive. Specifically Christianity- the thread is 'God'... not Buddha or Allah.

It's a wonderful story to believe in and a hard one to shrug off when it is instilled in you as a child, but if one is objective and looks at the situation for what it is... I'm sorry to say it is a sham of epic proportions. It doesn't stand to reason, it has proven to be corrupt, and in many cases... it has proven to be vile. Ultimately, it's an industry after your money or your services. And if not your money or your services... then in some cases your children. It's a big price to pay for hope.

I'm repeating myself, but I once believed in God as much as anyone as a child. I felt him there residing over me and I tried my best to keep him happy. When I began to question... the 'just believe' responses simply didn't work for me. As an early teen... the fog lifted and I could see the situation much more clearly. It wasn't an easy break- I was psychologically dependent on the big feller. The power of the mind is huge.   

Don't dump on me brother. I don't believe in religion or a god. I know that the Catholic church is bad.

Would you think about marrying your 12 year old cousin? It is just a point I was making.

And Brian. PC is garbage. And I call it as I see it. Period.

Homophobia has nothing to do with PC and everything to do with prejudice.  Just to be clear then, let me ask, are you homophobic?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• edited February 2018
    brianlux said:

Are you trying to deflect? Or are you trying to minimize? Either is a time tested tactic organized religion uses frequently to cover up their messy situations.

The whole point to offering the piece on the Massachusetts' localized experience (I stress localized because the problem is far more profound than one area of the planet) was to illustrate how religion is exploitive. Specifically Christianity- the thread is 'God'... not Buddha or Allah.

It's a wonderful story to believe in and a hard one to shrug off when it is instilled in you as a child, but if one is objective and looks at the situation for what it is... I'm sorry to say it is a sham of epic proportions. It doesn't stand to reason, it has proven to be corrupt, and in many cases... it has proven to be vile. Ultimately, it's an industry after your money or your services. And if not your money or your services... then in some cases your children. It's a big price to pay for hope.

I'm repeating myself, but I once believed in God as much as anyone as a child. I felt him there residing over me and I tried my best to keep him happy. When I began to question... the 'just believe' responses simply didn't work for me. As an early teen... the fog lifted and I could see the situation much more clearly. It wasn't an easy break- I was psychologically dependent on the big feller. The power of the mind is huge.   

Don't dump on me brother. I don't believe in religion or a god. I know that the Catholic church is bad.

Would you think about marrying your 12 year old cousin? It is just a point I was making.

Homophobia has nothing to do with PC and everything to do with prejudice.  Just to be clear then, let me ask, are you homophobic?

If you are referring to the time we ended up in the bar in Cinci on a road trip and guys purchased me drinks and chatted me up all night not knowing if I was straight or gay. To answer your question, NO! And guess what Bri, that was a homo club. Kind of like the reference to Jesus and his band of merry men. If I would have said his band of gays, somebody would have to say something about it. If I would have said his band of fags, somebody would have said something about it. If I would have said his band of queers, queens, pansys...........get where this is going. If you or I have a problem with people who follow Islam shooting up a concert hall, doesn't mean I have Islophbia and hate the Muslims who I work and hang around with. 2 cents

The poison from the poison stream caught up to you ELEVEN years ago and you floated out of here. Sept. 14, 08

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Looks like a big fight is shaping up in Australia.  I love this and I hope they bring them hammer down on these sick fucks in robes.
    https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/08/15/world/australia/sex-abuse-catholic-church-confession.html?referer=https://www.google.com/
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • rgambs said:
    Looks like a big fight is shaping up in Australia.  I love this and I hope they bring them hammer down on these sick fucks in robes.
    https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/08/15/world/australia/sex-abuse-catholic-church-confession.html?referer=https://www.google.com/
    It concluded that 7 percent of Catholic priests in Australia had been accused of sexually abusing children between 1950 and 2010.

That's not too shabby! Chances are pretty good you won't get a complete weirdo as a priest when you go for your Sunday brainwashing sessions in Australia.

As for the resistance to breaching the trust confessions are supposed to maintain... it's kind of tricky. If priests report these confessions... pedophiles won't come forth with their admissions. From the business side of things... having been relieved of their guilt... people confessing to raping a child likely offer large donations to the church.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    Good points
    brianlux said:

If you are referring to the time we ended up in the bar in Cinci on a road trip and guys purchased me drinks and chatted me up all night not knowing if I was straight or gay. To answer your question, NO! And guess what Bri, that was a homo club. Kind of like the reference to Jesus and his band of merry men. If I would have said his band of gays, somebody would have to say something about it. If I would have said his band of fags, somebody would have said something about it. If I would have said his band of queers, queens, pansys...........get where this is going. If you or I have a problem with people who follow Islam shooting up a concert hall, doesn't mean I have Islophbia and hate the Muslims who I work and hang around with. 2 cents

OK, so now you use the term "homo club".   I find the term "homo" offensive (no doubt you guessed that).  Ask your gay and lesbian friends what they think of the term "homo".  What do I know?  Maybe that's cool with them now (but I doubt it).  In any case,  I would not advise using the term "homo" around an older gay person unless you want to intentionally offend them. 

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

OK, so now you use the term "homo club".   I find the term "homo" offensive (no doubt you guessed that).  Ask your gay and lesbian friends what they think of the term "homo".  What do I know?  Maybe that's cool with them now (but I doubt it).  In any case,  I would not advise using the term "homo" around an older gay person unless you want to intentionally offend them. 
    Seems like that's exactly what this person would do.
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    rgambs said:
    Australian Cardinal George Pell is one smug POS. He's currently on trial.
    Hope he gets convicted. 
    His responses to victims has been disgusting. 
    It's disgusting that the Catholic church is funding the defence of the accused.
    I had to go to church last year for my nieces confirmation. Gosh I hate it. But must go seeing it's my niece.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    rgambs said:
    Hope he gets convicted. 
    I had to go to church last year for my nieces confirmation. Gosh I hate it. But must go seeing it's my niece.
    Yeah, it's fucked up the Vatican backs these sick bastards.
    In America we had a Diocese go bankrupt because they couldn't afford to pay the victims...like, WTF?  How about the Pope sells one of his stupid fucking hats and they can pay these poor people who were raped by God's representatives.
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    Hope he gets convicted. 
    Yeah, it's fucked up the Vatican backs these sick bastards.
    In America we had a Diocese go bankrupt because they couldn't afford to pay the victims...like, WTF?  How about the Pope sells one of his stupid fucking hats and they can pay these poor people who were raped by God's representatives.
    I got no money, but I have gold shoes and gold this and that lol
    It's a big joke. Stupid are the people that flock to listen to these priests.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    Infuriating.
    I'd really like to post this to FB and tag my Catholic in laws.

• I got half way and couldn't read anymore.

The church is fraudulent. It always has been. It's an industry of the entertainment variety.

It'll always be there though. People want to believe. Despite the overwhelming evidence to the contrary and the lack of sensibility... they want to believe in the wonderful tale that has been spun for them. Despite the strong warning signs... people want to vote for a charlatan that promised to make their country again.

They willingly play the fool.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    rgambs said:
    Infuriating.
    My mum thinks I am bad because I don't go to church. She's too far brainwashed to reason with.
    rgambs said:
    Infuriating.
    My mum thinks I am bad because I don't go to church. She's too far brainwashed to reason with.
    I don't believe in God nor particularly disbelieve in God, but if there is a God, I find that I would honor that God by not going to church  more than by going to church would.  The reason I say that is because if there is a God, then I assume it is that entity which created the earth, the moon, the planets, the stars and the universe and attending and supporting an institution that does not honor and protect that creation above all else would feel hypocritical to me.  That, and I'm just not that invested in mythology.

brianlux said:
    rgambs said:
    Infuriating.
    I don't believe in God nor particularly disbelieve in God, but if there is a God, I find that I would honor that God by not going to church  more than by going to church would.  The reason I say that is because if there is a God, then I assume it is that entity which created the earth, the moon, the planets, the stars and the universe and attending and supporting an institution that does not honor and protect that creation above all else would feel hypocritical to me.  That, and I'm just not that invested in mythology.
    Two years ago Easter saw a wonderfully beautiful sunrise in my locale, and as I drove to work I saw hundreds of fools sitting in churches with signs celebrating the "Son Rise" and singing their convoluted symbolic mythology while the glorious splendor of the real "God" went on with them completely unaware in their worship.
    rgambs said:
    brianlux said:
    rgambs said:
    Infuriating.
    Two years ago Easter saw a wonderfully beautiful sunrise in my locale, and as I drove to work I saw hundreds of fools sitting in churches with signs celebrating the "Son Rise" and singing their convoluted symbolic mythology while the glorious splendor of the real "God" went on with them completely unaware in their worship.
    OMG, the irony!

I got half way and couldn't read anymore.

The church is fraudulent. It always has been. It's an industry of the entertainment variety.

It'll always be there though. People want to believe. Despite the overwhelming evidence to the contrary and the lack of sensibility... they want to believe in the wonderful tale that has been spun for them. Despite the strong warning signs... people want to vote for a charlatan that promised to make their country again.

They willingly play the fool.
    "While the Catholic Church may not exist legally, it has nonetheless accumulated staggering wealth through a huge property portfolio, insurance and investment arms, and its own internal banks."

This angered me.

I go to Australian Catholic University.
    Why did I choose it? Back when I was studying to become a teacher I chose them as they are the best at producing teachers. My sister and my friend's partner both went there and are doing well as teachers.
    There are many non-Catholics there so I don't feel too bad.
    The only thing is there are 2 units every students needs to do which are based on Catholic Social Teaching principles.
    I recently completed the second unit over my summer break.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    rgambs said:
    brianlux said:
    rgambs said:
    Infuriating.
    I thought from a very young age how I thought it was weird that christians needed these massive grandiose structures that cost millions to worship in, and then asking for donations from the destitute that come there. I always thought "but if Jesus was who the bible said he was, he would not approve of this". 

if Indiana Jones has taught me anything, it's that don't assume the King of Kings wanted to be treated like one. Drink from the carpenter's cup! 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,814
    brianlux said:
    rgambs said:
    Infuriating.
    So you believe something with as little evidence as the religious have.  I'm not saying that to rip you...I'm saying that because the religious sometimes like to say that some of us are not religious because "you have no faith."  But we do.  For example, I too am an agnostic (is there a god?  I don't know) but I do have faith in the following: Whatever is or is not "up there" I believe with all my being that you do not spend an eternity in hell simply for "being wrong."  I can't prove it.  It's faith.  You too have faith, as stated in your assumption.  Of course, many would say that our faith is wrong and their faith is right.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    OnWis97 said:
    brianlux said:
    rgambs said:
    Infuriating.
    So you believe something with as little evidence as the religious have.  I'm not saying that to rip you...I'm saying that because the religious sometimes like to say that some of us are not religious because "you have no faith."  But we do.  For example, I too am an agnostic (is there a god?  I don't know) but I do have faith in the following: Whatever is or is not "up there" I believe with all my being that you do not spend an eternity in hell simply for "being wrong."  I can't prove it.  It's faith.  You too have faith, as stated in your assumption.  Of course, many would say that our faith is wrong and their faith is right.
    that is a very good point. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    edited February 2018
    brianlux said:
    rgambs said:
    Infuriating.
    Good point Brian,   That is precisely why I do not go to any church.  I don't belong to any church.  I study at home by myself and do the best I can.
    Because yes, most churches are corrupt as hell.
    OnWis97 said:
    brianlux said:
    rgambs said:
    Infuriating.
    I'm a bit confused here, OnWis. I didn't mean to imply about anything I believe.  I just meant to say that IF there is a God, then by the way most people describe God it must be that entity that created the universe.  But I still think the creation of the universe is an unsolved mystery.  I don't have any kind of faith or belief in how it was created.  I only have the commitment of belief that we would do well to take as a  good a care as possible of the place we were given to exist on- planet Earth.  Do I think that is right?  Oh heck yeah!  And do I think that most religious institutions do not prioritize that caring and is that wrong?  Hell yes.