Options

How Democracies Die - Book/Article Discussion

benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,937
I'm reading a book called How Democracies Die that I figured many on here would be interested in. If you want to read a few excerpts from it, there was a Vox article recently published about it. Would love to discuss the content with anyone on here. https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/2/2/16929764/how-democracies-die-trump-book-levitsky-ziblatt

'05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1

Comments

• Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,610
    I read that the other day. It’s really interesting. When a groups sees another group as a threat to the country and their way of life, they support giving up core values to hold on to an image of something. A oerfect example is trump’s attacks on the fbi. I wonder what trump supporter think when they read this. 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,820
    articles like this make my mind go immediately to a dystopian future where we all grovel for puddle water and rat leg stew. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,691
    articles like this make my mind go immediately to a dystopian future where we all grovel for puddle water and rat leg stew. 
    I get that feeling myself, for sure.  But maybe check out James Howard Kunstler's "World Made By Hand" quartet for a more optimistic (though realist in terms of hardships as well) alternative.  
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,708
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14