Options

Do you ever dream about well known musicians (or other famous people)?

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,687
edited February 2018 in All Encompassing Trip
If dreams were intentional, I'd say this would have to be the most blatant example of over-the-top fandom that I could think of but I don't control my dreams so I will admit to having dreams about some of my favorite musicians.  Shortly after he died, I dreamed Jimi Hendrix played a new song for me that I'd never heard.  It was awesome.  I've had several dreams about jamming with and/or having intense conversations with Paul Westerberg and later, as I got more into Pearl Jam, with Eddie Vedder.

Last night I had this dream that J Mascis (of Dinosaur Jr) had set up a web site such that you could interface with him by jamming with him on-line.  I thought, "I can't do that!"  But then I thought, "What the heck, why not?"  So I dialed into J's site and started jamming with him.  I was playing my Martin LX1 "Little Martin" acoustic and it was actually going pretty well.  When we stopped, I could hear J generously tell me, "Hey, that was pretty good... but I could barely hear you.  What are you playing?"  I told him I was playing an LX1 Little Martin.  I said I wasn't sure if there was a way to put a pick up on it, but maybe that would help.  And then all of the sudden, J was standing right there with me and I handed him my guitar and in his hands it was just this tiny little instrument and he said, "Oh, that's cute!"  What was equally strange was that J had on this dirty plain white t-shirt, he smelled a bit sweaty but not super offensively and he had cut the front of his hair into bangs.  He was very friendly and casual in talking with me.

I have to say, it was a great dream.  I'm 99.999999% sure that's the only chance I'll ever get of jamming with J! 

All these dreams feel very real to me, almost as if they happened in an alternate world. 

Anyone else have these kinds of dreams?
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Yep. I had a dream I was hanging out with Kurt Cobain.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    Yep. I had a dream I was hanging out with Kurt Cobain.
    Cool!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Recently I dreamt I was at a party and kept asking Ray Lewis where his white suit was. :i_dunno:
  • Options
    Recently I dreamt I was at a party and kept asking Ray Lewis where his white suit was. :i_dunno:
    Whoa!  Interesting!  

• Options
    erebuserebus Posts: 549
    Had a dream I was on an adventure with Kiss, riding around on a city bus in their full costumes, and I do not even particularly like them
    1996: Toronto
    2003: St. Paul
    2005: Thunder Bay
    2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa
    2009: Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010: Boston
    2011: Toronto I, Toronto II, Winnipeg
    2012: Missoula
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014: St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
    2022: Hamilton, Toronto 
    2023: St. Paul I, St. Paul II
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    A couple months back, I dreamed of an old friend who is now ridiculously (and deservedly) renowned.  It basically consisted of us hugging and catching up.

Otherwise, my dreams tend to be borne of my subconscious plus some weird abstract shit.

I kinda like it - the experience, and the attempts to analyze them.
  • Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    edited February 2018
    I don’t dream often but when I do I prefer those with Eddie Vedder in them =)
    Post edited by Annafalk on
  • Options
    erebus said:
    Had a dream I was on an adventure with Kiss, riding around on a city bus in their full costumes, and I do not even particularly like them
    That would be strange, but kind of fun!

• Options
    edited February 2018
    hedonist said:
    A couple months back, I dreamed of an old friend who is now ridiculously (and deservedly) renowned.  It basically consisted of us hugging and catching up.

Otherwise, my dreams tend to be borne of my subconscious plus some weird abstract shit.

I kinda like it - the experience, and the attempts to analyze them.
    I used to wish I could analyze my dreams better but I eventually abandoned that desire and came to accept my belief that dreams are as real as waking experiences.  I suppose it could be said that I simply dream very vividly but I think it's more a matter of accepting dream experiences as being as valid as waking ones.

When I was a kid (maybe 8 years old or so) I had a dream in which my body was frozen in such a way that I could not move a muscle.  In fact, I could barely breath.  I felt an evil spirit coming toward me and I was terrified.  I was basically half-dreaming because I was conscious of my inability to move.  I finally managed to move an arm or a leg and that broke the lock on my body.  I got up and left my room and felt the evil spirit pursuing me.  I went down the hall to may parents room and just as I got to their door, I quickly froze up again and could not move or call out to my parents.  That's all I remember but I do believe it was real.  I generally rely on science and empirical evidence to explain the world but I'm not sure if there is a scientific explanation for the dream state other than accepting the possibility of dreams being another reality.  I've experienced all of the senses- sight, smell, feeling, hearing, taste- and everything in dreams from pure ecstasy to death.  I was shot to death in a dream once, disproving something a friend told me once which was that if you die in your dream you will physically die.   Sure glad he was wrong!

• Options
    camsjamcamsjam Posts: 375
    I have had the same sleep or dream paralysis happen to me maybe about a dozen times in my life. I am dreaming and the dream isn't a bad or scary one then all of a sudden I feel like I am awake and my body is frozen. My heart is pounding but the rest of me feels heavy and dead and I can't move or speak. I try to tell myself that I am dreaming but I can see my bedroom and I feel awake. It's terrifyingly real. I have asked some of my good friends if anything like that had ever happened to them and haven't known of anyone else who's experienced this. I don't worry about it but thinking about it happening fills me with dread. It's scary. One friend of mine who does work with spiritual centering and reiki said I was traveling out of my body in sleep and was pulled back in too abruptly by something. Not sure if I believe this but she is the only person I have ever asked that knew what I was talking about. I also sometimes have what I think of as "dreaming awake". Not fully awake or asleep but somewhere in between. I often fall asleep to music and dream I'm at a concert. Wishing you all good dreams.
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    edited February 2018
    I often have dreams containing people I have never seen before.
    I vividly see their faces and they talk to me.
    I wake up and wonder who were they as I've never seen them before.
    Are they spirits? Is my mind conjuring up images?
    Kind of freaks me out.
    Does anyone else have the same dreams?
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    camsjam said:
    I have had the same sleep or dream paralysis happen to me maybe about a dozen times in my life. I am dreaming and the dream isn't a bad or scary one then all of a sudden I feel like I am awake and my body is frozen. My heart is pounding but the rest of me feels heavy and dead and I can't move or speak. I try to tell myself that I am dreaming but I can see my bedroom and I feel awake. It's terrifyingly real. I have asked some of my good friends if anything like that had ever happened to them and haven't known of anyone else who's experienced this. I don't worry about it but thinking about it happening fills me with dread. It's scary. One friend of mine who does work with spiritual centering and reiki said I was traveling out of my body in sleep and was pulled back in too abruptly by something. Not sure if I believe this but she is the only person I have ever asked that knew what I was talking about. I also sometimes have what I think of as "dreaming awake". Not fully awake or asleep but somewhere in between. I often fall asleep to music and dream I'm at a concert. Wishing you all good dreams.
    You've had this too?!  It's a weird feeling, that's for sure.

• Options
    Kind of freaks me out.
    I've had that too and I wonder, am I making up this person or is it someone I have actually seen before but not consciously noticed?

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    brianlux said:
    camsjam said:

No need to worry, Brian. It's normal, though frightening.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnagogia
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Kind of freaks me out.
    Pretty much everyone I’ve ever seen in a dream is a completely imagined look. Some of them are actually supposed to be people I know, but they don’t look like them at all. It’s very rare that I dream about actual people I know or people who I know what they look like.

I read somewhere that even those faces are people you’ve seen at some point in your life. Whether it’s just someone you walked by in public, someone you may have met and don’t remember, etc. I don’t know if that’s true or not. 
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    As a teenager I used to have adult dreams about doing adult things with Brittany Spears and Gwen Stefani and Mandy Moore, Sunny from WWF and Trish Stratus and Torrie Wilson from WWE
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    edited February 2018
    As a teenager I used to have adult dreams about doing adult things with Brittany Spears and Gwen Stefani and Mandy Moore, Sunny from WWF and Trish Stratus and Torrie Wilson from WWE
    What "adult things" on earth could Gary be talking about?  :lol:

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    brianlux said:
    Pay bills? 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    Pay bills? 
    Could be.  More likely, proper hair clip placement:

• Options
    camsjamcamsjam Posts: 375
    brianlux said:
    camsjam said:

No need to worry, Brian. It's normal, though frightening.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnagogia
    Thanks for this information. It's reassuring to know some of the factors that cause this and it now makes more sense. 
  • Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    edited February 2018
    I actually once for some reason dreamed about Steve Tyler from Aerosmith. We sat beside each other on a plane, the only thing I remember was that we talked a lot and he was a really nice and cool person :)
  • Options
    Had a dream two nights ago that I was talking to Slash. He seemed like a down to earth nice guy. It's funny how dreams can feel realer than "reality" sometimes.
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    Had a dream two nights ago that I was talking to Slash. He seemed like a down to earth nice guy. It's funny how dreams can feel realer than "reality" sometimes.
    I know that feeling!

• Options
    brianlux said:
    I know that feeling!
    I had this dream last night that I was trying to get out of an airport and get to my hotel because I had to shit really, really bad.  (I can't do #2 in public bathrooms).  In the dream, I could actually feel the stomach pains from trying to hold it in and there was a point where I physically felt like I had a turtlehead poking out and was gonna shit my pants.  It was so real-feeling that when I woke up, I sprinted to the bathroom only to realize when I finally sat down it was just a dream and I didn't actually have to crap.
  • Options
    ShynerShyner Posts: 1,226
    I had a dream with an alice in chains song
    Me my brother and his wife all died in the dream. 
    Scared me
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    I know that feeling!
    I had this dream last night that I was trying to get out of an airport and get to my hotel because I had to shit really, really bad.  (I can't do #2 in public bathrooms).  In the dream, I could actually feel the stomach pains from trying to hold it in and there was a point where I physically felt like I had a turtlehead poking out and was gonna shit my pants.  It was so real-feeling that when I woke up, I sprinted to the bathroom only to realize when I finally sat down it was just a dream and I didn't actually have to crap.
    LOL! 

I shouldn't laugh.  I've had numerous dreams about having to take a crap in a public bathroom.  The worst dreams, ugh!

• Options
    Shyner said:
    I had a dream with an alice in chains song
    Me my brother and his wife all died in the dream. 
    Scared me
    That's heavy, Shyner.  I can see why it would be scary!

• Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    I dreamt Hendrix came into the bedroom while I was snoring and stuck pencils up my nose
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    I can't remember how many pencils, though
  • Options

Oh my! "Adult things" haha! I have dreamt of famous people, although not suitable to share!