Dave Matthews Band

Comments

• Kind of.

In my opinion... he has been half-assing it in recent years. He just doesn't look super enthused most of the time.

Don't get me wrong... I like him a lot and he's been a great member of the band, but I'm not the only one who's noticed his general malaise.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    And they just announced their tour, wtf boyd 
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,864
    Word is that he's been #MeToo'd
    In addition to playing terribly and being an overall weirdo.

• Has anybody heard if he was in the studio at all recording the new album?
  • Has anybody heard if he was in the studio at all recording the new album?
    Yes I read he is on the new album 
  • manitoumanmanitouman In My Head Posts: 1,073
    So no violin heavy songs or will that be filled in by Tim like he fills in for Butch?
    Soldier Field, Chicago, IL 7-11-1995; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-29-1998; MGM Grand, Las Vegas, NV 10-22-2000 ~PJ10~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 4-1-2003; Cricket Pavilion, Phoenix, AZ 6-7-2003; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-18-2003; Alpine Valley, East Troy, WI 6-21-2003; Fox Theatre, St. Louis, MO 10-5-2004; The Gorge, George, WA 9-1-2005; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-16-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-17-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-2-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-3-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-23-2009; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-24-2009; Rogers Arena, Vancouver, BC 12-4-2013; Key Arena, Seattle, WA 12-6-2013; iWireless Arena, Moline, IL 10-17-2014 ~No Code Show~; Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul, MN 10-19-2014; Bradley Center, Milwaukee, WI 10-20-2014 ~Yield Show~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 10-22-2014 ~PJ24~: Wrigley Field 1 & 2, 2016; Safeco Field, Seattle Home Shows 1 & 2; Wrigley Field, Chicago Away Shows 1 & 2....
  • So no violin heavy songs or will that be filled in by Tim like he fills in for Butch?
    Last night Tim & the horns filled in for Boyd’s violin parts, it was different for sure. Robert Randolph sat in for a few as well. Who knows what they will do for the upcoming tour. 
    Tell the captain
    'This boats not safe
    And we're drowning.'
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    So no violin heavy songs or will that be filled in by Tim like he fills in for Butch?
    Last night Tim & the horns filled in for Boyd’s violin parts, it was different for sure. Robert Randolph sat in for a few as well. Who knows what they will do for the upcoming tour. 
    Eek.  Wow, this is a real surprise.  I have Warehouse tickets for three shows this tour and this sort of changes my mindset.  So you say different.. but was it better, worse, tolerable?  There are a few songs like Dancing Nancies that I can't imagine without him.  I'd love if Butch came back for the tour.  
    BTW - pretty good set list last night.  He didn't do something silly like stringing together Samurai->Stolen Away -> You&Me, where shit gets quiet for 25 minutes in a row.
  • Will Robert Randolph be at other shows when they tour this year? I just re-watched the Weekend on the Rocks today when he sat in on Louisiana Bayou... just a filthy jam. Things are obviously different now with Tim on stage, but I’d enjoy that a couple songs a night! 
    No one knows. 

Paying RR some big $$ to fill in could be huge. I wouldn't be surprised if they find a biggish name violinist to sit in for the summer though. 

• Thirty Bills UnpaidThirty Bills Unpaid Posts: 16,881
    edited February 2018
    A disturbing piece offered on the Warehouse forum. I cannot vouch for its authenticity, but I read it and yikes.

If there is truth to any of this lawsuit... then this departure is at least partially explained.

http://ftpcontent.worldnow.com/wvir/documents/TinsleyLawsuit.pdf

edit: Apparently the guy embezzled money from Boyd and as a result the case was dismissed. The level of truth to the allegations is unclear.  
    Post edited by Thirty Bills Unpaid on
    A disturbing piece offered on the Warehouse forum. I cannot vouch for its authenticity, but I read it and yikes.

If there is truth to any of this lawsuit... then this departure is at least partially explained.

http://ftpcontent.worldnow.com/wvir/documents/TinsleyLawsuit.pdf

edit: Apparently the guy embezzled money from Boyd and as a result the case was dismissed. The level of truth to the allegations is unclear.  
    Plus this suit was filed in '15.  I'd be surprised if this was the reason for missing the tour.

I hope they bring a touring violinist.  Be odd not to have that sound.
  • mrussel1 said:
    Eek.  Wow, this is a real surprise.  I have Warehouse tickets for three shows this tour and this sort of changes my mindset.  So you say different.. but was it better, worse, tolerable?  There are a few songs like Dancing Nancies that I can't imagine without him.  I'd love if Butch came back for the tour.  
    It was definitely tolerable, just felt like Tim might of been trying a bit too hard to fill the voids. There some videos on the link to check out for yourself. I thought the intro to Ants Marching was definitely a little shaky. 
    http://https//www.jambase.com/article/robert-ran
    Tell the captain
    'This boats not safe
    And we're drowning.'
    That lawsuit is old. But the MeToo allegations form his former side project bandmate are not. I wouldn't be surprised if thats a big driver to this. When you add in all the odd behavior over the years (Long hugs, Narnia bullshit, crystals, dropping the bow and missing cues for solos), the dude just isn't right. 

• I’d plant one on him too. Right on the smacker! 
  • pjpitt89pjpitt89 Posts: 1,817
    New album is up for preorder. They have an exclusive white vinyl on their site, and you can also get a combo pack with 2 different vinyl bootlegs from 95 and 02. Not sure if I'll do that or just go the Amazon route...

http://modern-vinyl.com/2018/04/25/dave-matthews-band-releasing-come-tomorrow/
    9/1/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/12/03, 10/1/04, 9/28/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 8/7/08 (EV), 6/12/09 (EV), 10/27/09, 10/28/09,10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 6/15/11 (EV), 9/2/12, 7/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/27/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/7/16, 11/4/16 (TOTD), 8/18/18, 8/20/18, 9/24/21 (EV&Earthlings), 9/26/21, 9/11/2022, 9/14/2022
  • I'm in already for the white vinyl exclusive.

Here's hoping the album is solid! Looking forward to the Gorge.
    I got the white vinyl and both the live albums.  After DMB discount, it was $84.  So that's 10 records and a bonus cd for $84, which is quite a steal these days.  
    I'm in already for the white vinyl exclusive.

I believe Shotgun is on it for sure, along with possibly Black and Blue Bird, so not a bad start.  I like them both live.  
  • Save WhoSave Who Posts: 292
    edited April 2018
    I ordered the white vinyl and the benny show.  Now I can say I own a benny =)
    I picked up the bundle with both extra sets, it was too good a deal to pass on. I’m sure I’ll regret it at some point but oh well. Hope the new album is good
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    RoleModelsinBlood31 said:
    I picked up the bundle with both extra sets, it was too good a deal to pass on. I’m sure I’ll regret it at some point but oh well. Hope the new album is good
    Same here. That's a really good deal considering all the other live show box sets were going for at least $80 each.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,181
    JK_Livin said:
    RoleModelsinBlood31 said:
    Same here. That's a really good deal considering all the other live show box sets were going for at least $80 each.
    Same. Very good deal and right on point about the cost of box sets these days. Hard to pass on 10 LPs for $100 shipped! 
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,594
    pjpitt89 said:
    New album is up for preorder. They have an exclusive white vinyl on their site, and you can also get a combo pack with 2 different vinyl bootlegs from 95 and 02. Not sure if I'll do that or just go the Amazon route...

http://modern-vinyl.com/2018/04/25/dave-matthews-band-releasing-come-tomorrow/
    You almost have to go in for the live shows on vinyl.  Everyone's crossing their fingers for this album, but nobody knows what it will be like.  Supposedly the live shows are limited, but that may just be a rumor.
  • kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,594
    mrussel1 said:

I believe Shotgun is on it for sure, along with possibly Black and Blue Bird, so not a bad start.  I like them both live.  
    After the week of speculation and insider info we've been through, no songs are guaranteed to be on the album.
    kramer73 said:
    mrussel1 said:

After the week of speculation and insider info we've been through, no songs are guaranteed to be on the album.
    I swear I read somewhere in an interview that Dave confirmed Shotgun.  Maybe I dreamed it. 

Regarding the live vinyls, to me those are no brainers.  I have every one released (other than live trax 1 which is outrageously priced) and they are all spectacular.  His engineers' recording, mixing and pressing is top notch.  DMB live albums far surpass any Pearl Jam effort in my opinion.  They are spot on to the shows.  
    mrussel1 said:
    kramer73 said:
    mrussel1 said:

I swear I read somewhere in an interview that Dave confirmed Shotgun.  Maybe I dreamed it. 

Regarding the live vinyls, to me those are no brainers.  I have every one released (other than live trax 1 which is outrageously priced) and they are all spectacular.  His engineers' recording, mixing and pressing is top notch.  DMB live albums far surpass any Pearl Jam effort in my opinion.  They are spot on to the shows.  
    I’d have to unfortunately agree with you.  The unfortunately part is because I wish PJ’s vaults were as good as the dmb live track sets.  They are amazing sets and I’m happy to own the few I have.