Official Neil Young Thread

Comments

• goldrush said:
    There’s also this fantastic little line, included towards the bottom of one of the articles...

Latter part. So not Europe then.

But great!
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    goldrush said:
    As well as (finally!) some news on the ALCHEMY live album from the 2012 tour!

so amped for this release. that was a great tour and sadly probably the last ever with Crazy Horse.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    goldrush said:
    There’s also this fantastic little line, included towards the bottom of one of the articles...

Finally!!!

I. Need. Tour. Dates.
  • PEOPLE WANNA HEAR ABOUT LOO-OOOVEEE
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

• Fork in the Road (2009). There are some really catchy and rocking songs on here. The production gives the songs some real punch. I dig a lot of it. But I cannot sanction Neil making an album about fucking cars. 

• Le Noise (2010). I really embraced this album when it was released. I listened to it a lot. Neil alone with Old Black and a producer prominent enough to get the album named after him gives us some high highs like Walk with Me, Hitchhiker, Angry World and Rumblin’. But now seven years later the production tires me out somewhat and I feel there are some filler songs on here. Will be three stars next time I bet. Teaming up with a producer like this is what Neil should do - why not Rick Rubin like Cash did? Eddie Vedder singing Walk with Me at the Bridge School Benfit is really great too, but why they ended the Pearl Jam Twenty documentary with it I will never understand.
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,259
    Both Fork in the Road and Le Noise are at least 3 stars for me. I prefer them both to Living With War for sure. 
    I love the dirty guitars on FITR, the are some filthy riffs in there. 
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • goldrush said:
    I love the dirty guitars on FITR, the are some filthy riffs in there. 
    Agree. Enjoy the sound of it. For sure.
    Le Noise with a 2?????????????? I'm speechless... 

Neil did make some great albums after On The Beach, ya know? lol

This could be really bizarre...

On Thursday, SXSW announced the premiere of a musical titled Paradox, a collaboration between Neil Young and his girlfriend, actress Daryl Hannah.

Spin describes the film as “an apparent dystopian musical Western.” South by Southwest’s description of the film gives more details on the premise:

"Time is fluid in this far-fetched, whimsical western tale of music and love. Somewhere in the future past, The Man In the Black Hat hides out between heists at an old stagecoach stop with Jail Time, the Particle Kid, and an odd band of outlaws. Mining the detritus of past civilizations, they wait … for the Silver Eagle, for the womenfolk, and for the full moon’s magic to give rise to the music and make the spirits fly."

The film was directed and written by Hannah, and stars Young alongside country legend Willie Nelson, along with and Nelson’s sons, Lukas and Micah. The film’s soundtrack was curated and composed by Young and his backing band, Promise of the Real.

This collaboration marks the first time Young and Hannah have worked together since their relationship went public following Young’s divorce.

(Tim Rogers)
  • goldrush said:

On Thursday, SXSW announced the premiere of a musical titled Paradox, a collaboration between Neil Young and his girlfriend, actress Daryl Hannah.

Spin describes the film as “an apparent dystopian musical Western.” South by Southwest’s description of the film gives more details on the premise:

"Time is fluid in this far-fetched, whimsical western tale of music and love. Somewhere in the future past, The Man In the Black Hat hides out between heists at an old stagecoach stop with Jail Time, the Particle Kid, and an odd band of outlaws. Mining the detritus of past civilizations, they wait … for the Silver Eagle, for the womenfolk, and for the full moon’s magic to give rise to the music and make the spirits fly."

The film was directed and written by Hannah, and stars Young alongside country legend Willie Nelson, along with and Nelson’s sons, Lukas and Micah. The film’s soundtrack was curated and composed by Young and his backing band, Promise of the Real.

This collaboration marks the first time Young and Hannah have worked together since their relationship went public following Young’s divorce.

Isn't that a... falsehood. She directed his hometown show.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593

Le Noise (2010). I really embraced this album when it was released. I listened to it a lot. Neil alone with Old Black and a producer prominent enough to get the album named after him gives us some high highs like Walk with Me, Hitchhiker, Angry World and Rumblin’. But now seven years later the production tires me out somewhat and I feel there are some filler songs on here. Will be three stars next time I bet. Teaming up with a producer like this is what Neil should do - why not Rick Rubin like Cash did? Eddie Vedder singing Walk with Me at the Bridge School Benfit is really great too, but why they ended the Pearl Jam Twenty documentary with it I will never understand.
    Wasn't this one played mostly with the white Gretsch Falcon?  Interesting sounds, cool (to me, I'm a fan) that he worked with Daniel Lanois, but ultimately not a real strong album.  Never-the-these, 3.5 out of 5 stars for me.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

I've been listening to Trans again lately and digging it's weirdness.  I really am not a fan of cheesy electronics, vocoders and all that and yet they are so perfect for this album, for it's time, for the way Neil incorporated into the music reflections of his tireless therapy program with his son Ben.  My only wish is that he would have also released the Crazy Horse version of the album (Young stripped it clean of most of the Horse's work and added the electronics.)  I'm guessing Poncho would have liked that as well.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

edited February 2018
    goldrush said:

That’s true. I should have known to fact check Paste Music when I copied it in :)

The NYA Times-Contrarian has this to say:

"Prehaps the most SXSW-sounding project in history: An experimental western directed by Daryl Hannah, with a cast that includes Neil Young and Willie Neilson. Titled "PARADOX," the movie is described as "a loud Poem" and "a whimsical western tale of music and love." Expect something off the beaten path." (Indie Wire)

“A corresponding film soundtrack album will be released. More specific news on this as release information becomes available to us”
    Post edited by goldrush on

(Tim Rogers)
  • Le Noise is a 4 star album for me 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited February 2018
    goldrush said:
    goldrush said:

That’s true. I should have known to fact check Paste Music when I copied it in :)

The NYA Times-Contrarian has this to say:

"Prehaps the most SXSW-sounding project in history: An experimental western directed by Daryl Hannah, with a cast that includes Neil Young and Willie Neilson. Titled "PARADOX," the movie is described as "a loud Poem" and "a whimsical western tale of music and love." Expect something off the beaten path." (Indie Wire)

“A corresponding film soundtrack album will be released. More specific news on this as release information becomes available to us”
    She's also directed his latest Music Video. WHERE WILL THIS HIGHSCHOOL CRUSH EEEEEND UPPPP!?! Splash sequel?
  • Le Noise is a 4 star album for me 
    Was for me on release too.
  • "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Cool!  I've never seen that!

Nice! That’s a cool find

(Tim Rogers)
  • Got a record player from my dad. 

But turns out my Yamaha receiver (wished I didn't buy that surround system years ago, should have bought a system for music instead!!!!!!) is not having a phono port :/ 
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Got a record player from my dad. 

But turns out my Yamaha receiver (wished I didn't buy that surround system years ago, should have bought a system for music instead!!!!!!) is not having a phono port :/ 
    You need something like this 
    http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/170579-Pyle-Pro-PP999?utm_source=googleps&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=googleps&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwNHT3Yqj2QIVybjACh1vRwYgEAQYASABEgJjFvD_BwE

• Got a record player from my dad. 

You need something like this 
    http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/170579-Pyle-Pro-PP999?utm_source=googleps&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=googleps&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwNHT3Yqj2QIVybjACh1vRwYgEAQYASABEgJjFvD_BwE

I think my dad said something about this. 

I need to rip out my 5.1 satellites and buy some decent 2.0 system instead I feel. Hmm. I hate technology.
  • COUGH UP THE BUCKS - COUGHUPTHEBUCKS
    The date has been confirmed for the ‘Paradox’ premiere:

The main reason for posting this was really just because I think that is a great photo of Neil!

(Tim Rogers)
    This is a cool little read

(Tim Rogers)
  • goldrush said:

Trent Reznor: " I heard Neil Young say that doesn't sound good." Like Neil Young would know his ass from a hole in the ground about digital recording. Nothing against Neil Young, but people get these archaic notions.
    All of my Neil vinyl sounds better than any other vinyl, cd, digital, or bluray that I own. 
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    goldrush said:

Trent Reznor: " I heard Neil Young say that doesn't sound good." Like Neil Young would know his ass from a hole in the ground about digital recording. Nothing against Neil Young, but people get these archaic notions.

Fuck Reznor. he's a talentless hack.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    They are both right. 

Vinyl, when done right can be fantastic. Digital, when done right can be just as good.