Roger Federer

Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
20 grand slams now.
Much love for this man.
Whata humble champion and nice guy.
Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014

Comments

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,447
    GOAT.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,928
    20 grand slams now.
    Much love for this man.
    Agreed. Very humble champion. 
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,598
    He's awesome. Can't believe he's still doing it
  • DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    It's either a sign of his greatness or there's just not that many good tennis players out there anymore. 

Probably a combo of both. Because Djokovic is a beast. 
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,961
    edited January 2018
    20 grand slams now.
    Much love for this man.
    I never thought anyone would be better than Sampras.

And I was wrong!
    Post edited by tempo_n_groove on
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    I wasn't a fan earlier in his career but I love the guy now.  Champion on and off the court.  At this point in his career, he seems more relaxed and having more fun on the court while still maintaining his focus and determination to win.  The man simply won't slow down and I love it!
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    It's either a sign of his greatness or there's just not that many good tennis players out there anymore. 

Of course there is.
    Rafa, Murray, Dokovic, Warwinka, Cilic.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014

Of course there is.
    I suppose you deleted the part where i said Djokovic was a beast. Either way, I'm give you rafa. Murray is a stretch. But ok. Still, there isn't a lot out there in the way of competition like you had in the 90s and early to mid 2000s. Hell, can you even name an American that could win a major? Or a lower level tournament for that matter?
    Take the French Open away from Nadal and he's not top 20 on the all-time Grand Slam list.  That said, there's no denying his brilliance on clay and 6 Grand Slams is certainly nothing to shrug off.  If not for Robin Soderling, Federer still might not have a French Open.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,221
    overrated
    chinese-happy.jpg
    overrated
    The only men's tennis player in the history of the sport with 20 career Grand Slams - not to mention 6 ATP Tour Finals, a Davis Cup, a Hopman Cup, and a doubles Olympic silver and gold medal is overrated?  Ok...
    overrated
    The only men's tennis player in the history of the sport with 20 career Grand Slams - not to mention 6 ATP Tour Finals, a Davis Cup, a Hopman Cup, and a doubles Olympic silver and gold medal is overrated?  Ok...

Hopman Cup. ha....I'VE got a Hopman Cup
    chinese-happy.jpg
    overrated
    Why?

Of course there is.
    I suppose you deleted the part where i said Djokovic was a beast. Either way, I'm give you rafa. Murray is a stretch. But ok. Still, there isn't a lot out there in the way of competition like you had in the 90s and early to mid 2000s. Hell, can you even name an American that could win a major? Or a lower level tournament for that matter?
    Sorry, yes you said Dokovic is a beast.
    overrated
    Why?

Sampras would've smoked him
    chinese-happy.jpg
    overrated
    I thought that was Wob when I first read it.
    overrated
    Why?

I think matching both of these 2 up in their primes would have hell of a match. 

I think sampres didn't win more because he went up against better opponents. Agasi,  ivanesivic,  courier, Becker,  chan, and conners.  That's who I remember. I'm sure there are more that I'm missing. 

I'm not saying federer isn't great and he isn't the best of all time. Just,saying I think sampress could have won more majors if he started his career in 2000 rather that 1988.
    overrated
    Why?

I think sampres didn't win more because he went up against better opponents. Agasi,  ivanesivic,  courier, Becker,  chan, and conners.  That's who I remember. I'm sure there are more that I'm missing. 

I'm not saying federer isn't great and he isn't the best of all time. Just,saying I think sampress could have won more majors if he started his career in 2000 rather that 1988.

90's tennis > current tennis
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • No CoderNo Coder Brisbane Posts: 1,126
    overrated
    Why?

Whilst I was a big fan of tennis in the 90's (and 80's for that matter - huge Lendl fan), by no means do I think it was greater than current day tennis. There was not much more diversity during that decade than there is now.
    Apart from early 90's when Edberg was still a champion, for most of the mid to late 90's, Sampras was the dominant force. Yes there was players that competed well and won majors, but not remained consistent threats for many years. Courier had a few good years, as did Pat Rafter, Kafelnikov and Kuerten. Agassi was inconsistent through most of the 90's and really only had a solid run towards the end of that decade and into the 2000's. Most other players who hit the higher rankings, where only there for very short periods. Sampras was the year end number 1 for 6 consecutive years of that decade.

Through the 2000's there has been Federer, Nadal and Joker who have spent the most time at Number 1 at with significant major wins. Then you have Andy Roddick, Murray, Hewitt who all had periods of success and even Kuerten into the very early 2000's with Agassi. And then Federer has also seen guys like Del Potro, Wawrinka, Berdych and  Dimitrov through the years. 

I am a huge Sampras fan, but Federer tops him IMO. Would love to see them both play in their prime and I think it would be an epic game, but for career longevity and also success, the Fed Express is the GOAT
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
    *BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
    *BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
    *QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
    *Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,661
    edited January 2018
    My first thought was, you know, over the fence... four runs...  :lol:

Shows you what I know! :tongue:
    20 grand slams now.
    Much love for this man.

Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

edited January 2018
    Well said, No Coder.
    Post edited by HesCalledDyer on
    No Coder said:
    overrated
    Why?

Whilst I was a big fan of tennis in the 90's (and 80's for that matter - huge Lendl fan), by no means do I think it was greater than current day tennis. There was not much more diversity during that decade than there is now.
    Apart from early 90's when Edberg was still a champion, for most of the mid to late 90's, Sampras was the dominant force. Yes there was players that competed well and won majors, but not remained consistent threats for many years. Courier had a few good years, as did Pat Rafter, Kafelnikov and Kuerten. Agassi was inconsistent through most of the 90's and really only had a solid run towards the end of that decade and into the 2000's. Most other players who hit the higher rankings, where only there for very short periods. Sampras was the year end number 1 for 6 consecutive years of that decade.

Through the 2000's there has been Federer, Nadal and Joker who have spent the most time at Number 1 at with significant major wins. Then you have Andy Roddick, Murray, Hewitt who all had periods of success and even Kuerten into the very early 2000's with Agassi. And then Federer has also seen guys like Del Potro, Wawrinka, Berdych and  Dimitrov through the years. 

I am a huge Sampras fan, but Federer tops him IMO. Would love to see them both play in their prime and I think it would be an epic game, but for career longevity and also success, the Fed Express is the GOAT
    This.
    Federer is more graceful, nicer on the eye to watch.
    brianlux said:

20 grand slams now.
    Much love for this man.

I don't get what you mean haha
    brianlux said:

20 grand slams now.
    Much love for this man.

In baseball, if a batter hits a home run with the bases loaded, it’s called a “grand slam.”
    brianlux said:

20 grand slams now.
    Much love for this man.

In baseball, if a batter hits a home run with the bases loaded, it’s called a “grand slam.”
    Ahhh, obviously I know absolutely nothing about baseball.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,661
    brianlux said:

20 grand slams now.
    Much love for this man.

And I know almost nothing about tennis!  I'm picturing a grand slam in tennis to be akin to a slam dunk, like maybe hitting the tennis ball so hard it bounces off the court and over the bleachers (or whatever they're called the seats in a tennis park).
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,527

I think Federer would beat Sampras if they played in the same era.  You don't see serve and volley as often in today's game.  Much like how the center was so important in the NBA up until around 2000 or so and now the game is dominated by guards and forwards.  A different game and style in tennis and the NBA and I would guess a better one as you typically abandon tactics if they no longer are successful.

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

20 grand slams now.
    Much love for this man.

And I know almost nothing about tennis!  I'm picturing a grand slam in tennis to be akin to a slam dunk, like maybe hitting the tennis ball so hard it bounces off the court and over the bleachers (or whatever they're called the seats in a tennis park).
    Haha, that happens sometimes when one of the bad boys of tennis gets frustrated.  Usually it's just called being a poor sport. :lol:

A tennis Grand Slam is the collective name given to the four major tournaments - Australian Open, French Open, Wimbledon, & US Open.