The End of DACA?

1235»

Comments

• mace1229 said:
    Also what's interesting is the commonly accepted notion the illegal immigration is a problem, but only based on the fact that it's against the law. If I want the government to make it a priority to do something, I want the problem to be clearly defined. In this case, what "problems" do illegals create? What's the financial loss vs. econimic gain by having them here? I haven't been able to find it, and when I've asked in here, someone posted a link citing arrests of illegals in Texas, and that was it. 
    Every country enforces their boarders. Why can't we?
    All the celebrities talking about moving to Canada. Well guess what, you have to speak English or French to get it, and even then, it is much harder.
    You havent seen an impact of immigration? Schools.
    Schools are over crowded and underfunded. We have embarassingly low test scores. And where are the lowest performing and most overcrowded schools? Usually areas with high immigration.
    I'm not saying immigration is the only problem with school, and if we kick out the Mexicans we'd be at the top. But it is definitely a contributing factor when classrooms built to hold 25 kids now have 45. The focus of teaching is now reaching those who speak little English, nearly every training and professional development isnt about how to make the kids excell, but how to teach those with limited English. When kids get thrown into the 8th grade because of their age, but they have a 3rd grade education because of where they came from.
    I'm not saying kicking them out is the answer, but anyone who cant see it affects the entire community is blind.
    And why/how should we be responsible for others when we are currently failing our own kids? Figure out how to get our education system back on track before we try to be an open book to the world.

tbergs said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Is ICE kicking in doors in those Trump branded properties in Florida, seeking out the Russian oligarchs on tourist visas having anchor babies in the US? Making sweeps through Little Russia in New York, looking for those Russian and eastern Europeans who have overstayed their tourist visas? How about ICE making their presence known in Pulaski Park or Bucktown? Why not? Being all about "law and order" and all.
    Yeah there are plenty of European illegals that have overstayed their visas but they fit right in to population they look just like the average American , they don't cut lawns or wait on tables ! 
    Why do people keep bringing up Europe? They are such a tiny small fraction of the immigration problem. If you look at the top 10 countries of immigration, none are from Europe. I don't think any of the top 20 are even.
    Why is there a need to deny that the immigration exists from a few select countries? Mexico and Central America account for the vast majority of our legal and illegal immigration, so why would we focus on Europe?

You wouldnt suggest a solution to the gun problem is to outlaw a single-action 6 shooter would you? No, because thats like 0.1% of the crime.

Why only focus on half the problem?
    According to Wikipedia, Europe is 8.2% of our immigration. So by ignoring Europe, we are still focusing on 92% of the problem.
    Makes total sense to me to focus on the biggest factors first. Mexico and Central America make up most of the illegal immigration, so we should focus on that first. Try one solution at a time, we cant solve it all at once.

I noticed that when you referred to Europe, you stated "immigration." Yet, when you referred to Mexico and Central America, you stated "illegal immigration." Are there no illegal immigrants from Europe and conversely, is there no immigration from Central and South America, assuming "immigration" is the legal kind?
    You're being ridiculous. No one can pose a differing opinion without you twisting words into something they aren't. g

High school graduation rates:

https://nces.ed.gov/programs/coe/indicator_coi.asp

College attendance by race:

https://nces.ed.gov/programs/coe/indicator_cpa.asp

While true that immigrants start off slow when attending public school, they quickly catch up and excel. Basically performing as well as native born. DACA applicants stats are well above the averages in employment, education attainment and not committing crime. They have to be or they lose their status.

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,587
    edited September 2017
    tbergs said:
    Weeds illegal in a lot of places. If that law isn't enforced, is that a problem?
    Yes. Why do we have a law if it isn't going to be monitored and enforced? Seems like a silly question.
    The question is about motives. Is smoking weed a problem? No. So the problem is that we have a law, so it must be enforced. But what problem is the law combating? What problems are immigration laws combating?
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    tbergs said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Is ICE kicking in doors in those Trump branded properties in Florida, seeking out the Russian oligarchs on tourist visas having anchor babies in the US? Making sweeps through Little Russia in New York, looking for those Russian and eastern Europeans who have overstayed their tourist visas? How about ICE making their presence known in Pulaski Park or Bucktown? Why not? Being all about "law and order" and all.
    Yeah there are plenty of European illegals that have overstayed their visas but they fit right in to population they look just like the average American , they don't cut lawns or wait on tables ! 
    Why do people keep bringing up Europe? They are such a tiny small fraction of the immigration problem. If you look at the top 10 countries of immigration, none are from Europe. I don't think any of the top 20 are even.
    Why is there a need to deny that the immigration exists from a few select countries? Mexico and Central America account for the vast majority of our legal and illegal immigration, so why would we focus on Europe?

You wouldnt suggest a solution to the gun problem is to outlaw a single-action 6 shooter would you? No, because thats like 0.1% of the crime.

According to Wikipedia, Europe is 8.2% of our immigration. So by ignoring Europe, we are still focusing on 92% of the problem.
    Makes total sense to me to focus on the biggest factors first. Mexico and Central America make up most of the illegal immigration, so we should focus on that first. Try one solution at a time, we cant solve it all at once.

I noticed that when you referred to Europe, you stated "immigration." Yet, when you referred to Mexico and Central America, you stated "illegal immigration." Are there no illegal immigrants from Europe and conversely, is there no immigration from Central and South America, assuming "immigration" is the legal kind?
    You're being ridiculous. No one can pose a differing opinion without you twisting words into something they aren't. 

Why is asking for clarification of terminology being used ridiculous? How am I twisting words? Mace made two different references to the same issue. What's really ridiculous is your inability to see that race factors into almost everything, from immigration to law enforcement and sentencing to consumer loans, housing, education, healthcare, environmental policy, etc, etc. etc. and that you get butt hurt when I point that out. The thread title is DACA, not immigration in general but I'm happy to discuss both.
    Ah, the classic butthurt label. Nope, but thanks anyway. I didn't say racism doesn't exist within all the areas you mentioned because it obviously does. I'm just offering that it's not necessarily always the reason an action is taken or not taken. 
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • tbergs said:
    tbergs said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

You're being ridiculous. No one can pose a differing opinion without you twisting words into something they aren't. 

Why is asking for clarification of terminology being used ridiculous? How am I twisting words? Mace made two different references to the same issue. What's really ridiculous is your inability to see that race factors into almost everything, from immigration to law enforcement and sentencing to consumer loans, housing, education, healthcare, environmental policy, etc, etc. etc. and that you get butt hurt when I point that out. The thread title is DACA, not immigration in general but I'm happy to discuss both.
    Ah, the classic butthurt label. Nope, but thanks anyway. I didn't say racism doesn't exist within all the areas you mentioned because it obviously does. I'm just offering that it's not necessarily always the reason an action is taken or not taken. 

So you think Trump's, and by extension Sessions, or the other way around, illegal immigration enforcement is color blind?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    tbergs said:
    tbergs said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

So you think Trump's, and by extension Sessions, or the other way around, illegal immigration enforcement is color blind?
    I don't have the time to give this a full answer now, but in short, yes and no. I'll circle back later.
  • vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425
    They are here illegally, so something should be done.  Make them join the military and serve or maybe join the army corps and build something?
    what?
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    tbergs said:
    Weeds illegal in a lot of places. If that law isn't enforced, is that a problem?
    Yes. Why do we have a law if it isn't going to be monitored and enforced? Seems like a silly question.
    In a lot of states oral sex between consenting adults is also illegal. You okay with that law being monitored and enforced?
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    tbergs said:
    In a lot of states oral sex between consenting adults is also illegal. You okay with that law being monitored and enforced?
    Good point. There are in fact thousands of laws on the books that are never enforced, mostly because time has moved on but the law has not.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    edited September 2017
    tbergs said:
    internet ready TVs
    cell phones
    notebook computers
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Someone is back on the sauce this morning.
    tbergs said:
    Good point. There are in fact thousands of laws on the books that are never enforced, mostly because time has moved on but the law has not.

It’s illegal to attend a public event or use public transport within 4 hours of eating onions or garlic 

"If you've ever felt screwed by the government you probably ought to know sexual intercourse in any position other than missionary is illegal in Washington, D.C."
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    so why didn't any of these people become u.s. citizens?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:
    Probably because DACA doesn't give any path to citizenship; it only allows the individual to legally work and to not be a high priority for deportation. Otherwise, they essentially aren't eligible for citizenship, unless they either take another route, like marrying a citizen, or leave and apply to immigrate, and what are the odds of that being successful? 

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/09/08/us/politics/why-common-critiques-of-daca-are-misleading.html

• vaggar99 said:
    They are here illegally, so something should be done.  Make them join the military and serve or maybe join the army corps and build something?
    what?
    Earn Citizenship by doing military service or help the Army Corps build dams, channels, whatever.

In other countries it's mandatory to join the military.  Implement that into acquiring citizenship.
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    vaggar99 said:
    what?
    Earn Citizenship by doing military service or help the Army Corps build dams, channels, whatever.

In other countries it's mandatory to join the military.  Implement that into acquiring citizenship.
    yes, because we have such a good track record there
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    vaggar99 said:
    what?

Already an option......

Naturalization Through Military Service: Fact Sheet
    Special provisions of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) authorize U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to expedite the application and naturalization process for current members of the U.S. armed forces and veterans. Generally, qualifying military service includes service with one of the following: Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard and National Guard. In addition, spouses of members of the U.S. armed forces who are or will be deployed may be eligible for expedited naturalization. Other provisions of the law also allow certain spouses to complete the naturalization process abroad.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    edited September 2017
    vaggar99 said:
    what?

Already an option......

Naturalization Through Military Service: Fact Sheet
    Special provisions of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) authorize U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to expedite the application and naturalization process for current members of the U.S. armed forces and veterans. Generally, qualifying military service includes service with one of the following: Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard and National Guard. In addition, spouses of members of the U.S. armed forces who are or will be deployed may be eligible for expedited naturalization. Other provisions of the law also allow certain spouses to complete the naturalization process abroad.
    They need to work on this a little more.  Hardly any naturalization where there isn't a US base.  There was only 1 from Mexico.

Thank you for finding this too.
    DACA will expire on March 5th
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    mcgruff10 said:
    Some have.

Not my post or a page I am on.  I hope she has nothing but success.

You do know that most don’t have a legal path to Citizenship, right? 
    So much material for Georgy and Chucky to cover this weekend! I wonder what else might happen?
    What was the takeaway from Obamas expansion of DACA via EO and the government shutdown?

Dems: we will accept "a promise" on immigration legislation next month and re-open the government
    MSM: "Schumer, do you trust Trump and McConnell to keep their promise?" Schumer: “If he does not honor our agreement, it will be a breach of trust, not only with the Democratic senators but with several members of his own party as well,”
    Schumer: "The Senate minority leader, through an aide, informed the White House on Monday that he was retracting the offer he made last week to give Trump well north of the $1.6 billion in wall funding Trump had asked for..." 

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    You do know that most don’t have a legal path to Citizenship, right? 
    I guess not?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata

This is awesome.
    tbergs said:

This is awesome.
    Wow. It is.

I looked him up. Lots of other good stuff that he's done.

https://brianbilston.com/about-brian-bilston/
    http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/25/politics/white-house-immigration-framework/index.html

In what the White House framed as a "dramatic concession" and "compromise," Trump would accept a path to citizenship not just for the roughly 700,000 undocumented immigrants were covered by the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program when it was ended. But the proposal would also cover those undocumented immigrants who meet the DACA criteria but did not sign up and even more who would be newly eligible under the proposal's timeframe requirements -- giving legal status and a pathway to citizenship to about 1.8 million people.
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    tbergs said:
    The question is about motives. Is smoking weed a problem? No. So the problem is that we have a law, so it must be enforced. But what problem is the law combating? What problems are immigration laws combating?
    Well since no one ever enforced the law, it didn't combat anything and we are where we are.

Continuing to not enforce the laws will get us into the same situation but worse farther down the road.

We need comprehensive reform, and while I'm not sure I'm 100% aligned, i'm ok with a path to citizenship for DACA...but you need to have laws and controls to stop it from happening again.  AND you need to reduce immigration based on the fact you are basically accepeting 2million immigrants and making them citizens.  
    hippiemom = goodness
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    tbergs said:
    Well since no one ever enforced the law, it didn't combat anything and we are where we are.

Continuing to not enforce the laws will get us into the same situation but worse farther down the road.

We need comprehensive reform, and while I'm not sure I'm 100% aligned, i'm ok with a path to citizenship for DACA...but you need to have laws and controls to stop it from happening again.  AND you need to reduce immigration based on the fact you are basically accepeting 2million immigrants and making them citizens.  
    I'd like to go back to what we're trying to combat with these immigration laws. I think Beavers asked a great question. I've also never understood why anyone was happy about those DACA kids getting hassled. Even if you're anti-immigration, those DACA kids are the least of our problems. By definition they're law abiding (they aren't the ones who came here illegally - their parents brought them) and if they commit a crime they're out. They are net positive contributors to our society - they either have jobs or go to school or both. They speak English (some as their only language). They complied and registered. They've waited years. They've jumped through hoops. Etc... They are certainly more of a net positive to our country/economy than Wallmart workers who cost tax payers $6+ Billion in public assistance, or the unemployed Rust Belt steel workers, or coal workers, or timber workers, who are a net-drain on our economy. So If it is economic reasons that have one fearing immigration, rest assured that immigrants are the least of our problems.  “Immigrants account for more than 90 percent of the growth in self-employment since 2000,” according to economist Magnus Lofstrom.

Unemployment rates being so low make the "immigrants are stealing our jobs" malarkey a non-issue. "
    Reducing legal immigration by 50% would initially reduce the rate of economic growth in the United States by an estimated 12.5% from its projected level, with this penalty increasing in later years when the United States becomes even more dependent upon immigration for the country’s population and labor force growth."

Here's an interesting article in Forbes about some of this. It also highlights that the Drumpfs came here through chain immigration. If only we'd stopped that practice in the late 1800's we could have prevented the Trumps from invading and ruining our country! I kid, of course. I exist here due to "chain migration" most recently from my Dad's mother's family coming from Sweden. 

"I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08