Dying alone

Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
http://www.theage.com.au/world/so-many-japanese-people-die-alone-theres-an-industry-devoted-to-cleaning-up-after-them-20180125-h0obbc.html

Pretty sad.
It's happened here in Australia and I take it around the world.
I fear this is what will happen to me when I am older as I am single, not many friends, disconnected from my family.
Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014

Comments

• Are you single and 75 years old?

Otherwise there are a bunch of Pearl Jam shows ahead where you will find mr/mrs Right. Who will clean up after your dead body :)
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    single and 33.
    Can't afford concert right now.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • single and 33.
    -84? I'm also single and 33...
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    My buddy who is 32 is cleaning up right now, he's got a list of recently divorced ladies age 40 or so vying for his attention.
    Get them cougars Thoughts_Arrive!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    It surely is sad (perhaps I'm mistaken, but I thought that the Asian culture, much like middle-Easterners, typically look after their older parents), but to worry about this for yourself...at 33?

There is life to be lived; it helps to find reasons to do so than to be self-defeatist and say why you can't (or won't?).
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    hedonist said:
    It surely is sad (perhaps I'm mistaken, but I thought that the Asian culture, much like middle-Easterners, typically look after their older parents), but to worry about this for yourself...at 33?

There is life to be lived; it helps to find reasons to do so than to be self-defeatist and say why you can't (or won't?).
    I think what Hedo means to say is, GET THEM COUGARS BUD!
    But I could be wrong :wink:
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    rgambs said:
    hedonist said:

I think what Hedo means to say is, GET THEM COUGARS BUD!
    But I could be wrong :wink:
    =)

• I'll die alone.  Or maybe with a cat?

I'll die with my PJ socks though.  I'll always have those, lol!
    rgambs said:
    My buddy who is 32 is cleaning up right now, he's got a list of recently divorced ladies age 40 or so vying for his attention.
    Get them cougars Thoughts_Arrive!
    I tried with a lady 6 years older than me and she saw me as too young.
  • ConorKavanaghConorKavanagh Ireland Posts: 1,148
    There's plenty of time man. It's never too late to start over. However, it's good that a service like this exists I think. Still sad, nonetheless.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    I was cougar huntin' in my early 20s.  This was before the widespread acceptance if this as fair game and complete with a funny nickname.  I was just looking for women who liked me and had enough money to buy me drinks and associated things.
    Learned a lot in those days.
    Keep looking...if you can't be with the one you love....love the one your with!  

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    I m 40 and my wife is 42...did I marry a cougar?  ;)
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    single and 33.
    I got divorced at 32, have faith bud. Life gets better!
  • amethgr8amethgr8 Posts: 766
    It's sad that he could not (maybe) move on to the next chapter of life after work, or maybe he didn't want to.  Like how the press/society coins it as "lonely" death, maybe he wanted to be alone, maybe he didn't like people.  I don't have kids, when I go, I'll go, and wherever I am I will be on the earth where I began.

How old do you have to be, to be considered a cougar?  What is the name for older men called that date younger women?

Amy The Great #74594
    New Orleans LA 7/4/95 reschedule 9/17/95
    Chicago IL 1998, 10/9/00, 06/18/03, 05/16/06, 05/17/06
    08/23/09, 08/24/09, Lolla 08/05/07
    Champaign IL 4/23/03
    Grand Rapids MI VFC 10/03/04
    Grand Rapids MI 19May06
    Noblesville IN 05/07/10 Cleveland OH 05/09/10
    PJ 20 2011
    Baltimore MD, Charlottesville VA, Seattle WA 2013
    St. Louis MO, Milwaukee WI 2014
    Tampa FL, Chicago IL, Lexington KY 2016
    Missoula MT 2018
    amethgr8 said:
    It's sad that he could not (maybe) move on to the next chapter of life after work, or maybe he didn't want to.  Like how the press/society coins it as "lonely" death, maybe he wanted to be alone, maybe he didn't like people.  I don't have kids, when I go, I'll go, and wherever I am I will be on the earth where I began.

How old do you have to be, to be considered a cougar?  What is the name for older men called that date younger women?

Creepy! Lol
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,201
    edited January 2018
    amethgr8 said:
    What is the name for older men called that date younger women?

POTUS?
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    amethgr8 said:

I believe the rule is half your age plus seven. 
    So if you're 36 years old: 36/2 +7 = 25
    Dating anyone under 25 would make you a cougar. 
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    edited January 2018

Pretty morbid stuff.  I'm 36 and single.  If I don't get married and have kids I won't be relying on my nieces and nephews to take care of me so I'm going to have to save up some cash.  I need to factor in the cost of at home care or assisted living in my retirement plan.

Personally, when I get to the point where I can't travel, golf, or get around on my own and don't have a spouse or kids/grandkids to care about, I'm not sure how excited I'll be to hang around and watch Netflix.  Easy to say that now at 36.  

One thing I am seriously thinking about is early retirement.  You hear all the time people dying of cancer, heart attacks or getting dementia shortly after retirement.   There are no guarantees.  I want to use the money I'm earning now to enjoy life when I'm healthy and not work all the time and use the earnings to pay for doctor bills in the future.  If the money runs out there will be government handouts I'm sure.

• Pretty morbid stuff.  I'm 36 and single.  If I don't get married and have kids I won't be relying on my nieces and nephews to take care of me so I'm going to have to save up some cash.  I need to factor in the cost of at home care or assisted living in my retirement plan.

Personally, when I get to the point where I can't travel, golf, or get around on my own and don't have a spouse or kids/grandkids to care about, I'm not sure how excited I'll be to hang around and watch Netflix.  Easy to say that now at 36.  

One thing I am seriously thinking about is early retirement.  You hear all the time people dying of cancer, heart attacks or getting dementia shortly after retirement.   There are no guarantees.  I want to use the money I'm earning now to enjoy life when I'm healthy and not work all the time and use the earnings to pay for doctor bills in the future.  If the money runs out there will be government handouts I'm sure.

Obviously pace yourself, but your approach is solid! There are no guarantees. I tell any of my friends that 'can't afford a mountain bike' or 'can't afford to go to a concert'... that they can't take their money to the grave with them. I tell them to save their money so when they pass early... their widowed wife can shack up with some bum who can go spend their savings on fun stuff.

And hey... I turned 50 this year. I feel 20. I listen to my music loud and I listen to heavy music. I work out as much as I can (running, mountain biking in the summer, cross country skiing in the winter, and the gym when I cannot do any of those things). I golf when I want. I go to concerts when I want. I basically do whatever I want.

What I'm saying is... 50 is young. I wouldn't have thought so at 30, but it is. Hell... I'm thinking 70 is still young. I'm going to keep doing the things I'm doing now until I simply cannot any more.

OP... you gotta get yourself to a better place! I've followed your struggles on these forums. I recognize you are fighting some demons. Don't let them get the best of you. What I would say to you is 'fake it till you make it'. Wake up tomorrow and play the part of a confident, energetic, fun guy... until you become one for real.
    "My brain's a good brain!"

Pretty morbid stuff.  I'm 36 and single.  If I don't get married and have kids I won't be relying on my nieces and nephews to take care of me so I'm going to have to save up some cash.  I need to factor in the cost of at home care or assisted living in my retirement plan.

Obviously pace yourself, but your approach is solid! There are no guarantees. I tell any of my friends that 'can't afford a mountain bike' or 'can't afford to go to a concert'... that they can't take their money to the grave with them. I tell them to save their money so when they pass early... their widowed wife can shack up with some bum who can go spend their savings on fun stuff.

And hey... I turned 50 this year. I feel 20. I listen to my music loud and I listen to heavy music. I work out as much as I can (running, mountain biking in the summer, cross country skiing in the winter, and the gym when I cannot do any of those things). I golf when I want. I go to concerts when I want. I basically do whatever I want.

What I'm saying is... 50 is young. I wouldn't have thought so at 30, but it is. Hell... I'm thinking 70 is still young. I'm going to keep doing the things I'm doing now until I simply cannot any more.

OP... you gotta get yourself to a better place! I've followed your struggles on these forums. I recognize you are fighting some demons. Don't let them get the best of you. What I would say to you is 'fake it till you make it'. Wake up tomorrow and play the part of a confident, energetic, fun guy... until you become one for real.
    Hell to the yeah, Thirty.  I'm coming on three years ahead of you, husband is over seven years younger than I, and really....fuck it.  Numbers mean shit in the end.

It's about the love you make, and hopefully take.  And give.

Timelines?  They're not dictated.
    mcgruff10 said:
    single and 33.
    I got divorced at 32, have faith bud. Life gets better!
    Thank you.
    I have never had a girlfriend. Lost hope a long time ago.

Thank you.
    I hate and struggle faking.

• Speak to women the same as you would a good friend and if you are real and humble you will be friends with people that will develop if you are open. Love sometimes happens but try not to look for it. Remember to be yourself I guess is what i mean.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • So this has turned into a "i cant find love" thread? :)
  • I'll die alone.  Or maybe with a cat?

I'll die with my PJ socks though.  I'll always have those, lol!

Speak to women the same as you would a good friend and if you are real and humble you will be friends with people that will develop if you are open. Love sometimes happens but try not to look for it. Remember to be yourself I guess is what i mean.
    Thanks mate.
    Shyness kills me.
    So this has turned into a "i cant find love" thread? :)
    Sorry for derailing my own thread.
    Back on topic.
    I only have immediate family here, I don't get along with mum, I am estranged from one sister, other sister has her own worries, I am single and seem unable to form relationships with women, I only have one friend I actually speak to often and see regularly, the others I only hear from online here and there. Having said that, the way it looks I will be on my own when I finally move out of my parents' home. I'll be living alone in a house or unit or apartment, won't hear from family much. I don't know, I just fear this future for me. I will be like Obi Wan Kenobi, a strange old hermit that lives somewhere secluded.
  • amethgr8 said:

Lucky.
    I'm through with screaming
  • After my train wreck of a relationship ended a few months ago, I've realized I'm just happier being single. My dog loves me. :smile:
    I'm through with screaming
  • amethgr8amethgr8 Posts: 766
    Relationships are work.  If you want them we have to work for them.  Family and friends try and challenge who we are and hopefully we grow from it.

Fake it till you make it-works!

I am not that concerned about dying alone as long as I can get out the day before or have a full life up to that time.  I don't know that I'm that concerned with those that may have to clean up my passing, that's the way it goes.

I think it's assumptive to assume the man in the article was lonely.  
    Amy The Great #74594
    New Orleans LA 7/4/95 reschedule 9/17/95
    Chicago IL 1998, 10/9/00, 06/18/03, 05/16/06, 05/17/06
    08/23/09, 08/24/09, Lolla 08/05/07
    Champaign IL 4/23/03
    Grand Rapids MI VFC 10/03/04
    Grand Rapids MI 19May06
    Noblesville IN 05/07/10 Cleveland OH 05/09/10
    PJ 20 2011
    Baltimore MD, Charlottesville VA, Seattle WA 2013
    St. Louis MO, Milwaukee WI 2014
    Tampa FL, Chicago IL, Lexington KY 2016