Options

Some People's Dogs

Comments

• Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    Why I like dogs. They worship me. HA.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,819
    my dog was my favourite thing in the world when he was alive. more so than any of my cats. but as an adult, with kids, I can see why people stay away from them.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    A woman in our area attacked and killed by a dog.

We'll freaking shoot bears that come out of the forest at night to sneak a few apples off fruit trees, but we'll allow big, mean, aggressive dogs to any fool who wants one.

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/coroner+investigating+after+kamloops+woman+fatally+mauled/11689827/story.html
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    A related link in the story I posted (in the same province and same month):

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/richmond+attack+leaves+young+woman+critical+condition/11624557/story.html

I guess a Rottweiler/Husky cross (owned by the boyfriend of one of the two) decided to suddenly attack the 3 year old son of one of the sisters.

The incident has again raised much debate online about owning certain breeds of potentially aggressive dogs, but Gomez says her friends want people to understand that Yogi was a beloved family member, and they are very upset about possibly losing the dog.

Gomez said Yogi was adopted at seven weeks and he’s now three years old. She said the family has never had a problem with the dog being aggressive, describing the animal as “a real sweetie pie.”

Poor poor dog.

Oh yeah... poor 3 year old, two sisters (one in critical condition), and bystander mauled while trying to intervene too.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515

A woman in our area attacked and killed by a dog.

We'll freaking shoot bears that come out of the forest at night to sneak a few apples off fruit trees, but we'll allow big, mean, aggressive dogs to any fool who wants one.

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/coroner+investigating+after+kamloops+woman+fatally+mauled/11689827/story.html

That is horrible.
    The matter becomes more complicated when it's on a reserve. law enforcement isn't welcome on most reserves when it comes to telling people what they can and can't do, and I'm sure that includes how people are taking care of their dogs.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,687
    Sometimes people have big aggressive dogs because they truly need protection but too often people have big aggressive dogs because they think it's cool. The former more often are better at training the animal than the later and neglecting proper training too easily can lead to injury or even death. Too many irresponsible pet owner.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Two pitbulls maul and kill their owner when she takes them out for a walk.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/22-year-old-woman-killed-by-her-2-pets-dogs-in-grisly-mauling-while-out-for-a-walk-police/ar-BBGP2S6?li=AAggNb9&ocid=edgsp

Authorities say they spent over an hour trying to catch the beasts. Why? Didn't they have guns?

At least it wasn't some neighbourhood children. I wonder if this woman has a bunch of pictures showing how cute and loving the dogs were? I wonder if she spent any time or energy telling people 'not to worry because her dogs wouldn't hurt a fly'?
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,539

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/22-year-old-woman-killed-by-her-2-pets-dogs-in-grisly-mauling-while-out-for-a-walk-police/ar-BBGP2S6?li=AAggNb9&ocid=edgsp

Authorities say they spent over an hour trying to catch the beasts. Why? Didn't they have guns?

At least it wasn't some neighbourhood children. I wonder if this woman has a bunch of pictures showing how cute and loving the dogs were? I wonder if she spent any time or energy telling people 'not to worry because her dogs wouldn't hurt a fly'?
    One 9f the things I read from one of the local news sourced was that the dogs were raised for fighting!
    SHOCKIN!! :grimacing:
  • Options
    Many people, my wife included, defend American Staffordshire Terrier (aka "pitbulls") as be such sweet and lovable dogs and it's true, they can be, but when I see one being walked by someone I think to myself, "Sweet dog or deadly beast?"  How can you know?  You can't.   Sorry to say, AST fans, but the reality is that some very irresponsible people have made this breed a high-risk, uncertain potential danger.  Besides, there are so many other good choices.  Why put others ill at ease?  I say, no more Staffordshire Terriers!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

One 9f the things I read from one of the local news sourced was that the dogs were raised for fighting!
    SHOCKIN!! :grimacing:
    Bred for fighting, not raised for fighting.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Terrible tragedy.
    I saw this on FB and the comments under the article were ridiculous.
    Tons of folk suggesting she was killed by coyotes and the dogs ran them off and then we're guarding her body, lots of people suggesting foul play because they were her dogs, like that's just impossible.
    People only hear and believe what they want.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    Many people, my wife included, defend American Staffordshire Terrier (aka "pitbulls") as be such sweet and lovable dogs and it's true, they can be, but when I see one being walked by someone I think to myself, "Sweet dog or deadly beast?"  How can you know?  You can't.   Sorry to say, AST fans, but the reality is that some very irresponsible people have made this breed a high-risk, uncertain potential danger.  Besides, there are so many other good choices.  Why put others ill at ease?  I say, no more Staffordshire Terriers!

True (like it or not). If you aren't alert around a pitbull then you are an idiot.

And I've seen lions that have been raised to be sweet and lovable animals. The position that pitbulls can be very loving dogs if raised appropriately holds no water: the risk/reward is significant- especially when there are so many other dogs with far less history that can fill the role of 'pet'. 

The argument for pitbulls parallels the gun argument. Just like gun advocates defending assault rifles and bristle at the idea of gun reform... people that want pitbulls and advocate for them ignore the daily events where their breed of choice mauls a human or other dog. They blame 'bad owners'... they speak to their 'rights'... and they deflect by alluding to things like documented Pomeranian attacks to minimize the reality they don't want to acknowledge.
  • Options
    brianlux said:

True (like it or not). If you aren't alert around a pitbull then you are an idiot.

And I've seen lions that have been raised to be sweet and lovable animals. The position that pitbulls can be very loving dogs if raised appropriately holds no water: the risk/reward is significant- especially when there are so many other dogs with far less history that can fill the role of 'pet'. 

The argument for pitbulls parallels the gun argument. Just like gun advocates defending assault rifles and bristle at the idea of gun reform... people that want pitbulls and advocate for them ignore the daily events where their breed of choice mauls a human or other dog. They blame 'bad owners'... they speak to their 'rights'... and they deflect by alluding to things like documented Pomeranian attacks to minimize the reality they don't want to acknowledge.
    Exactly, Thirty.  And even though they may be right in many case- that there are cases of "bad owners" to blame and that maybe yes, they have a "right" to own these animals, the fact remains (and this is the part that cannot be well argued against) pitbulls create unease and often anxiety for others because there have been so many instances where these dogs have caused injury or death*.    That unease is legitimate.  No one can tell be I should not feel uneasy around these dogs.  Not even my wife gets to tell me that (and I respect here opinion on most things). 

*(And that alone, to my way of thinking, is reason enough to stop breading these dogs except for maybe rare circumstances.  There are plenty of other breads for companions, service and working dogs.)

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Weird, I’ve never met a pit bull that wasn’t kind and gentle. Boxers, Rottweilers, and German Shepherds on the other hand... every single one has been aggressive as fuck.
  • Options
    Weird, I’ve never met a pit bull that wasn’t kind and gentle. Boxers, Rottweilers, and German Shepherds on the other hand... every single one has been aggressive as fuck.
    I wish I'd had that kind of luck as I do not like having any animal biases.  Boxers have been OK although I've nearly been slobbered to death by a few.  Rottweilers definitely fit into the scary Cujo category.  German Shephards are a mixed bag for me- some are scary as all get out, but my experience with old Shephards has been nothing but good- the ones I've known seemed sad, wise and world-weary. 

I knew of one fairly sweet pit bull but he was owned by my vet who both infuses love and draws love from his animals.  Most of the other pit bulls I've been in contact have been accompanied by owners who give off a kind of scary vibe that seems akin to their dogs.  There seems to be a subculture of viscous people who infuse that vibe into their pets.  I don't know- maybe they are just trying to keep people at a distance from them but the vibe is never good for me.  Maybe just bad luck on my part.

• Options
    I or one of my close friends have owned Boxers, Rotts, Shepherds and Pitts.

Every Boxer and pitt have been absolute babies.  Wonderful dogs.

Every Rott when it got older became aggressive.

Every Shepherd I've been around sans one has been a beautiful animal.

When I lived in queens back in the day the dog to get and train were Dobermans.  They would use them as guard dogs or house protection dogs.
  • Options
    I've never encountered a bad boxer. German Shepherds have been a really bad breed from my personal experiences.

Rottweilers and pitbulls aren't dogs of choice by my circle of friends- I typically see them in the back of trucks barking at stuff or at the end of a chain leash with studded collars (straining to run after things). More often than not... the owner has very small arms, but is doing his best to come across as tuff.
  • Options
    I've never encountered a bad boxer. German Shepherds have been a really bad breed from my personal experiences.

Rottweilers and pitbulls aren't dogs of choice by my circle of friends- I typically see them in the back of trucks barking at stuff or at the end of a chain leash with studded collars (straining to run after things). More often than not... the owner has very small arms, but is doing his best to come across as tuff.
    How many boxers have you seen do the "horse shoe thing"?  

Every one I've seen always curls itself up when it got excited!
  • Options

How many boxers have you seen do the "horse shoe thing"?  

Every one I've seen always curls itself up when it got excited!
    What's the 'horse shoe thing'?

The tight circles when excited must be a trait lol.
  • Options
    My personal experience with pitbulls has been solely based on the owners. For the most part I am not afraid of any dog. It's the owners that I pay attention to.
    However, the dog that always have me on high alert are Wolf Hybrids. Regardless of owner I have seen these dogs display some scary behavior such that I give them wide berth no matter how nice and docile they appear.
  • Options
    I've had bad experiences with Shepherds only.
    My boxers duke it out all the time, if that's what horse shoes means.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    I've had bad experiences with Shepherds only.
    My boxers duke it out all the time, if that's what horse shoes means.
    "Horseshoe" is when their ass and head come at you the same time so it looks like a horseshoe, lol.  It's one of the more funnier things I've seen from an animal.
  • Options
    Got it!

Yes. Boxers coming at you with their asses and heads is hilarious. They do the stiff leg bounce thing too when they get really excited. I really like those dogs. I've never met a bad one.
  • Options
    I never heard that term either but a friend of mine has a black lab/chow mix that sort of does that.  When she (the dog) sees me, she comes loping over and at the last second goes into a horseshoe.  Funny and sweet that dog!

• Options
    And again..

Pit Bulls Maul Kentucky Couple On Christmas Eve. http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIwlorInzc
  • Options
    And again..

Pit Bulls Maul Kentucky Couple On Christmas Eve. http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIwlorInzc
    Gruesome. Terrifying. Sad.

The brother shot the dogs to stop the attack- one is dead. He should have driven to the lock up where the owner currently is and shot him too.
  • Options
    This idiot got four years in prison today after his pit bull severely mauled a little girl in a park. The dog was off its leash and he suggested in court that it was 'probably' provoked (the guy left his dog under the care of his elderly mother without leash and harness). 

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/quebec-pit-bull-verdict-1.4546531
  • Options
    Woman gets killed by her pitbull/boxer cross after she tries to save her daughter from its attack.

One neighbour said a pit bull was kept confined in the chain-link dog run most of the time and was intimidating. “I would say it was aggressive,” said the man, who wouldn’t give his name. “It barked all the time.”

https://calgarysun.com/news/crime/langdon-woman-killed-by-own-dog-after-child-attacked

Interestingly, in the same article, the strong and just Canadian courts really exercised its muscles in a similar case: In August 2012, Deanna Wolfe, then 26, nearly died when two pit bulls were sicced on her by the canines’ owner, Rita Phillip, in a home in Sundre. Wolfe underwent more than 14 surgeries to repair the damage. Phillip was sentenced to four years in prison for aggravated assault.

Four... whole... years? Holy smokes. She didn't die. I bet if Deanna did die... Rita would have got, like, I bet five years.

• Options
    Woman gets killed by her pitbull/boxer cross after she tries to save her daughter from its attack.

One neighbour said a pit bull was kept confined in the chain-link dog run most of the time and was intimidating. “I would say it was aggressive,” said the man, who wouldn’t give his name. “It barked all the time.”

https://calgarysun.com/news/crime/langdon-woman-killed-by-own-dog-after-child-attacked

Interestingly, in the same article, the strong and just Canadian courts really exercised its muscles in a similar case: In August 2012, Deanna Wolfe, then 26, nearly died when two pit bulls were sicced on her by the canines’ owner, Rita Phillip, in a home in Sundre. Wolfe underwent more than 14 surgeries to repair the damage. Phillip was sentenced to four years in prison for aggravated assault.

Four... whole... years? Holy smokes. She didn't die. I bet if Deanna did die... Rita would have got, like, I bet five years.

I've known one or two pit bulls that seemed friendly enough- especially this one that was very friendly- but you just never know.  And why take a chance?  It's not like there aren't a whole bunch of other choices of dog breads that are friendly and less prone to being dangerous.  I just don't get it.