Options

Michael Franti anyone?

bovy_jbovy_j Posts: 1,008
edited February 2007 in Other Music
I saw a quote in someone's signature on here, forget who the user is (my bad). But, I really liked the quote and I googled it to see who said it, and it was Michael Franti. So, I got some of his music, and now I am just digging him, and I don't even like rap, which he does have some content that is. I like the message the man gives out, and I believe that's why I like him so much.

So, my question to you people is...anyone like Michael Franti?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    yeah I dig him quite a bit. I guess I turned someone else onto the music from this board too. Anyways, I have seen him around 10 or 11 times live, and every show gets better and better. Socially conscious hip hop, funk, soul, jazz, rock. Its great stuff. He is a good person too. Get the movie I am Not alone. its a documentary. he went to iraq, not with police or officials, and not with troops. He went only with a camera crew and himself and his guitar.

Get all his albums. But see him live. Him and his band Spearhead are incredible. You can dance to the music, and stuff, but its also intelligent too and educational.

He seems to truly care about the world, and his fans, which is a rarity these days.

Plus he aint living high up in the hills and making tons of cash. Although he is successful and has released many albums, and his concerts are always packed, and of course his did that documentary, he still lives in a very poor neighborhood in San Francisco.

In addition, he doesnt even wear shoes, because he believes shoes in other countries are unaffordable for the natives.

He is an interesting person, and I will be looking forward to seeing him perform for a 12th time.

A blurb on the back of the DVD is from Serj Tankian of System of Down fame, who says "We should elect Michael Franti president"

I think he is exactly right. The world needs more Michael Franti's
  • Options
    bovy_jbovy_j Posts: 1,008
    yeah I dig him quite a bit. I guess I turned someone else onto the music from this board too. Anyways, I have seen him around 10 or 11 times live, and every show gets better and better. Socially conscious hip hop, funk, soul, jazz, rock. Its great stuff. He is a good person too. Get the movie I am Not alone. its a documentary. he went to iraq, not with police or officials, and not with troops. He went only with a camera crew and himself and his guitar.

Get all his albums. But see him live. Him and his band Spearhead are incredible. You can dance to the music, and stuff, but its also intelligent too and educational.

He seems to truly care about the world, and his fans, which is a rarity these days.

Plus he aint living high up in the hills and making tons of cash. Although he is successful and has released many albums, and his concerts are always packed, and of course his did that documentary, he still lives in a very poor neighborhood in San Francisco.

In addition, he doesnt even wear shoes, because he believes shoes in other countries are unaffordable for the natives.

He is an interesting person, and I will be looking forward to seeing him perform for a 12th time.

A blurb on the back of the DVD is from Serj Tankian of System of Down fame, who says "We should elect Michael Franti president"

I think he is exactly right. The world needs more Michael Franti's

And you sir, are the person who I saw the quote of. So I just would like to thank you for being the person to actually make me interested in this man. I intend on going out on buying one of his albums probably Monday actually.
  • Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    Saw this guy and his band at the Langerado Music Festival in March of last year. There was a huge amount of energy, love, and provocation to good things in his performance.

I was--and still am--highly impressed.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    MeddleDealMeddleDeal Posts: 2,547
    LOVE, LOVE, LOVE him!! :D

Such a GREAT musician and who actually cares about people. I highly suggest for your next cd purchase, get "Songs from the Front Porch" b/c it is stripped down versions of his songs that appeared on Home and other new songs. :)

I have seen him live 4 times already, thanks to my boyfriend who turned me onto him. And I agree, his shows are so engertic and there is a LOT of love with him and his fans. To me, his fans, I can easily say, remind me of the PJ community as well...togetherness. :)

and I didn't know about Michael living in the poorest neighborhood in SF. I knew that he lived around the Bay Area. and i must say, he is also one beautiful man! :)
    ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~
    ~*STONEY PONY all the WAY!*~
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
    "For the world, not for the war"-Neil Finn
  • Options
    he's good, particularly (for me) live out in a field at a festival.
  • Options
    HippyvikHippyvik Posts: 281
    You should check out his band from the 90's 'Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy' and the album 'Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury' it's a great album, haven't listened to it for ages as I've only got it on vinyl and my turntable's been broken for a few years now, I'm gonna have to go buy the cd :)
  • Options
    michael's valentines day message came out today via email.
    ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

And when I think about the things that we've been through, I know just one thing is true, life is better with you."

A few years ago, when Sara and I were dating we had a great Valentine's Day, followed by a not-so-great day after. We then spent the afternoon talking through it and by the end of the day, we felt closer than we ever had before.  I told Sara that even my worst day with her is better than any day I had before she was in my life, and out came the words, "'Life Is Better With You."

I picked up the guitar and wrote the entire song right then.

My hope is this song continues to inspire gratitude through the ups and downs of all relationships ― between couples, parents and kids, friends and family members ― and makes us remember (and tell them!), that even in the downs,  life with them is better. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XEOVl875d0&feature=youtu.be
  • Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    Have liked him since way back in the Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy days, which for me are still the best days!  But yeah, love his messages, and he's fun live!